Iowa doesn't matter

flaja

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:14 pm
The Republicans didn't hold a caucus in 1972 since no candidate opposed incumbent Richard Nixon in the state that year. But since then Iowa and New Hampshire have had the same winner in only 4 elections and every time the winner was the incumbent President.

In the same period Iowa and New Hampshire supported the eventual Republican nominee in only 4 elections and again the winner was the incumbent every time.

In 1988 George H. W. Bush won New Hampshire, but came in 3rd in Iowa.

In the 9 Iowa Caucuses since the Iowa Caucuses were first held in 1972 Iowa and New Hampshire have had the same Democrat winner only 5 times and for 2 of these times the winner was the incumbent occupant of the White House.

In the same period Iowa and New Hampshire supported the eventual Democrat Nominee in only 4 elections and again in two elections this person was the incumbent occupant of the White House.

Bill Clinton did not win either Iowa or New Hampshire in 1992.

If history is any guide, Iowa doesn't matter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,975 • Replies: 107
No top replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
Good points, but I think it does matter somewhat, perhaps not as much as we might think it does right now. In 2004, I think it mattered to Howard Dean, as that was the beginning of his downfall.

Perhaps like a football game, failing to score on a first and goal at the one after an opponent's fumble could be very demoralizing, but scoring could send you on the way to victory, whereas in other circumstances, if you are an underdog, if you are only behind 3-0 after the first quarter going into the wind and losing the toss, it could mean you have a great chance to take control of the game in the second quarter once the wind is in your favor and maybe your fans begin to get into the game. Then in the second half, half time adjustments by the coaches can make a big difference. At least in Iowa, we the fans can begin to see the teams try to make plays, and that will tell us alot.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
Iowa is where the hype meets reality for the first time. That's why it matters.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:04 pm
okie wrote:
Good points, but I think it does matter somewhat, perhaps not as much as we might think it does right now. In 2004, I think it mattered to Howard Dean, as that was the beginning of his downfall.

I think any candidate is a fool for going into Iowa with self-induced great expectations. The media did more damage to Dean than Dean did to himself by replaying the scream so many times. (One reporter, Sawyer if I remember, later pointed out that the scream as louder on TV than it had been in person due to the way sound amplification systems work. In person Dean didn't seem to be such a maniac.

But because Dean had such high hopes for Iowa his loss through him for a loop and he spent most of his remaining money trying to recover for New Hampshire. Dean made the mistake of thinking that the race was a sprint rather than a marathon.

Quote:
Perhaps like a football game, failing to score on a first and goal at the one after an opponent's fumble could be very demoralizing, but scoring could send you on the way to victory,

Of the 15 Iowa Caucuses held since 1972 (counting both parties including 1976 uncommitted victory for the Democrats and excluding the 1972 no-contest for Richard Nixon) the winner has taken the White House only 4 times. The Iowa winner has made it to the White House only 26% of the time.

Only 3 Republican winners of Iowa were elected president in the year they won Iowa and 2 of these winners were incumbents (Ronald Reagan 1884, George W. Bush 2000 and George W. Bush 2004).

Only 1 Democrat has taken the White House following a win in Iowa and this was with an incumbent (Bill Clinton 1996).

Only 1 candidate was elected president follow an Iowa loss in a previous election, George H. W. Bush won Iowa in 1980 and was elected president in 1988.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:05 pm
engineer wrote:

If this were true, Iowa would have a better record than 26%.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 02:37 pm
What is the average number of candidates running, counting both parties, in Iowa? I won't bother to look it up, but let us assume 7, so if 1 of the 6 that loses wins the Whitehouse the other 74% of the time, that is an average of a 12.3% chance of winning the Whitehouse after losing Iowa, for each 1 of the 6 other candidates. Personally, I would take the 26% odds. If I win Iowa, my chances are probably better than if I lose Iowa.

I don't know how many candidates, on average, run in Iowa, but I would say more than 7 most of the time, which would make the odds even worse than 12.3% if you lose. Of course, if you come in second, then your odds are better, but would they be better than 26%? I doubt it, because even if the Republican or Democrat that wins Iowa always wins their party nomination, their odds of winning the Whitehouse is still only roughly 50%. So it appears to me that if you win Iowa, your odds of winning your party's nomination approaches 50%. Not bad in my opinion. Winning the party nomination is all the candidates are worried about right now, not their odds of the Whitehouse. Cross that bridge when they get to it.

I think the strategy of Giuliani to ignore early primaries is going to be shown to be a failed strategy. But if he thought he had no chance in Iowa even with a strong attempt, then perhaps it is wise for him to downplay its importance.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 03:59 pm
Like any penny flipped, it will fall heads or tails for that one flip, and not based on the prior 100 flips that say 50% of the time the penny should be heads, and 50% of the time the penny should be tails.

Whoever wins the nomination in either party, and then the general election will not be winning based on statistics over the past 35 years.

Baseball lends itself better to statistics, I believe, since the variables are all known.

Two years ago, who would have thought a Democratic contender for the nomination would have a middle name of Hussein?

And, who would have thought Dean's exuberance (in my opinion) would had the results they did.

Too many unknowns, and variables, to put that much weight in statistics, especially when we are comparing apples and oranges, in the different demographics of the early caucus states and the states with large electoral votes, I believe.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
The results of the primaries are very significant except when they're not.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
You are correct that Iowa doesn't pick the winners. But, you are wrong that Iowa isn't important.

Iowa is important because it picks the losers.

You will see several candidates drop out because of the initial contests in Iowa and New Hampshire, and others who will be badly damaged and never recover.

Bad results affect two of the most important parts of a campaign. It hurts your ability to raise money and it affects your ability to get positive publicity.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:14 pm
okie wrote:
What is the average number of candidates running, counting both parties, in Iowa? I won't bother to look it up, but let us assume 7, so if 1 of the 6 that loses wins the Whitehouse the other 74% of the time, that is an average of a 12.3% chance of winning the Whitehouse after losing Iowa, for each 1 of the 6 other candidates. Personally, I would take the 26% odds. If I win Iowa, my chances are probably better than if I lose Iowa.

I don't think the number of candidates has any effect.

Democrats:
2004 5 candidates
2000 2 candidates
1996 1 candidate, incumbent
1992 6 candidates (counting uncommitted)
1988 4 candidates
1984 7 candidates
1980 2 candidates
1976 7 candidates
1972 7 candidates

Republicans
2004 1 candidate, incumbent
2000 6 candidates
1996 8 candidates
1992 1 candidate, incumbent
1988 5 candidates
1984 1 candidate, incumbent
1980 7 candidates
1976 2 candidates

112 candidates have received votes in the Iowa Caucuses. Of these only 15 have won the Iowa Caucus and of the 15 winners only 4 made it to the White House. 4 is only 26.67% of 15 and only 3.6% of 112.

Quote:
I don't know how many candidates, on average, run in Iowa, but I would say more than 7 most of the time, which would make the odds even worse than 12.3% if you lose.

On average 4.5 Democrats receive votes in an Iowa Caucus. Roughly 3.9 Republicans receive votes in an Iowa Caucus. However, the years in which an incumbent is unopposed distorts the average. Take out the incumbents and the Democrat average goes to 5 and the Republican average goes to 5.6.

Quote:
Of course, if you come in second, then your odds are better, but would they be better than 26%?

Actually 2nd and even 3rd place finishers in Iowa have a better historical chance of winning New Hampshire than Iowa's 1st place finishers have had.

Since 1972 the winner of the Democrat New Hampshire Primary has won his party's nomination in 6 of the 9 elections. For Republicans this number is 7 of 9 elections.

The winner of the Democrat New Hampshire Primary took the White House in only 2 of the 9 elections.

The winner of the Republican New Hampshire Primary took the White House in 5 of the 9 elections.

Since 1972 the winner of the New Hampshire Primary (regardless of party) has taken the White House in 7 of the 9 elections- and since the New Hampshire Primary was first held in 1952 (or was it 1948?) the person to take the White House has lost the New Hampshire Primary only twice (Clinton 1992 and George W. Bush in 2000).

Historically New Hampshire has been the better predictor of November than Iowa has ever thought about being. However, since 1992 so many liberals from Massachusetts have retired to New Hampshire that that state likely is no longer a good guide.

Quote:
I doubt it, because even if the Republican or Democrat that wins Iowa always wins their party nomination, their odds of winning the Whitehouse is still only roughly 50%.

In the 9 elections since 1972 the winner of the Iowa Caucus has won the Democrat nomination 5 times or 55% of the time.

In the 8 elections since 1976 the winner of the Iowa Caucus has won the Republican nomination 6 times or 75% of the time.

However, removing the incumbents the Democrats go to 3 times in 7 elections (43%) and the Republicans go to 2 times in 4 elections (50%).

Winning the Iowa Caucus may give you an even chance of winning your party's nomination, but it gives you a greater chance of losing the White House.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 06:51 pm
flaja wrote:
engineer wrote:

If this were true, Iowa would have a better record than 26%.

I didn't say Iowans were miraculous Presidential pickers. Iowa is the first time all the polls, hype, fund raising numbers, etc become meaningless. People actually state their preference directly.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 07:19 pm
flaja wrote:

112 candidates have received votes in the Iowa Caucuses. Of these only 15 have won the Iowa Caucus and of the 15 winners only 4 made it to the White House. 4 is only 26.67% of 15 and only 3.6% of 112.

So as I said, 26% is alot better than that of a loser in Iowa, you say 3.6%, so I would much rather take the odds of winning after winning Iowa than after losing Iowa.

Quote:
Actually 2nd and even 3rd place finishers in Iowa have a better historical chance of winning New Hampshire than Iowa's 1st place finishers have had.

Since 1972 the winner of the Democrat New Hampshire Primary has won his party's nomination in 6 of the 9 elections. For Republicans this number is 7 of 9 elections.

The winner of the Democrat New Hampshire Primary took the White House in only 2 of the 9 elections.

The winner of the Republican New Hampshire Primary took the White House in 5 of the 9 elections.

Since 1972 the winner of the New Hampshire Primary (regardless of party) has taken the White House in 7 of the 9 elections- and since the New Hampshire Primary was first held in 1952 (or was it 1948?) the person to take the White House has lost the New Hampshire Primary only twice (Clinton 1992 and George W. Bush in 2000).

Historically New Hampshire has been the better predictor of November than Iowa has ever thought about being. However, since 1992 so many liberals from Massachusetts have retired to New Hampshire that that state likely is no longer a good guide.

Interesting figures you cite, and it sounds reasonable. I do think New Hampshire might be a better predictor. On the REpublican side, I think from Romney's point of view, he could more afford to lose Iowa than New Hampshire and still have a chance, but he needs to win both if possible.
Quote:

Winning the Iowa Caucus may give you an even chance of winning your party's nomination, but it gives you a greater chance of losing the White House.

Your statement is a bit misleading, as no matter what primary you win, whether it is Iowa or Timbuktu, your chance of winning the whitehouse is only 50% plus or minus. One party must win and one must lose the Whitehouse, obviously. Even if winning a state primary gives you a 90% odds of winning your party's nomination, your odds at the whitehouse remains less than 50%.

I agree with ebrown, that losing in Iowa may be a bigger indicator. Winning or coming in a competitive second or third merely keeps you in the race, but if you lose bad or lose worse than expected, or lose when you expect to win, it spells trouble for your candidacy.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 08:19 pm
okie wrote:
So as I said, 26% is alot better than that of a loser in Iowa, you say 3.6%, so I would much rather take the odds of winning after winning Iowa than after losing Iowa.

Only 26% of the candidates who had won the Iowa Caucus have made it to the White House. 74% of the winning candidates have not made it to the White House. Iowa has roughly an even chance of predicting a party nominee (taking both parties together and excluding incumbents), but Iowa's record at predicting the winner in November is dismal.

Quote:
Interesting figures you cite, and it sounds reasonable. I do think New Hampshire might be a better predictor. On the REpublican side, I think from Romney's point of view, he could more afford to lose Iowa than New Hampshire and still have a chance, but he needs to win both if possible.

I would venture that Huckabee will likely at least tie for 1st place in Iowa, but either Giuliani, Romney or McCain will win New Hampshire. But at the same time I doubt that the winner in Iowa will be the GOP nominee this year. McCain is a has-been, but he may be a good 2nd choice compromise candidate. The South isn't going to support a Yankee or a Mormon, but there aren't enough evangelicals to give any candidate the nomination. And if what I've heard about Huckabee's record on illegal aliens is true, I don't see him doing any better than breaking even in the South. I'm not ready to say that the GOP convention will open with no apparent nominee, but it if this does happen, I won't be all that surprised.

I don't see Hilary winning Iowa. The last I heard she, Obama and Edwards are in a dead heat for 1st place, but Hilary is practically nobody's 2nd choice and according to Democrat Party rules if your candidate does get over a certain amount of support in the 1st round you have to make a 2nd choice. The 2nd choice of the people who now support Kucinich, Biden and Richards will likely place Obama and/or Edwards over Hilary. But I do think Hilary will be the Democrat nominee since slick likely still controls the Democrat Party machinery and as far as I know the Democrats still have super-delegtes, i.e., elected officials who are automatically national convention delegates. The are the establishment and Hilary is the establishment candidate.

Quote:
Your statement is a bit misleading, as no matter what primary you win, whether it is Iowa or Timbuktu, your chance of winning the whitehouse is only 50% plus or minus.

When it comes down to November the winning candidate isn't chosen by a coin toss. Theoretically a candidate could win a party nomination after losing half of the primaries and caucuses. But a candidate that has so little support from his own party likely won't have an even chance at winning the White House. The nominees never have a blank slate come September.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 08:30 pm
flaja wrote:

I would venture that Huckabee will likely at least tie for 1st place in Iowa, but either Giuliani, Romney or McCain will win New Hampshire. But at the same time I doubt that the winner in Iowa will be the GOP nominee this year. McCain is a has-been, but he may be a good 2nd choice compromise candidate. The South isn't going to support a Yankee or a Mormon, but there aren't enough evangelicals to give any candidate the nomination. And if what I've heard about Huckabee's record on illegal aliens is true, I don't see him doing any better than breaking even in the South. I'm not ready to say that the GOP convention will open with no apparent nominee, but it if this does happen, I won't be all that surprised.

I don't see Hilary winning Iowa. The last I heard she, Obama and Edwards are in a dead heat for 1st place, but Hilary is practically nobody's 2nd choice and according to Democrat Party rules if your candidate does get over a certain amount of support in the 1st round you have to make a 2nd choice. The 2nd choice of the people who now support Kucinich, Biden and Richards will likely place Obama and/or Edwards over Hilary. But I do think Hilary will be the Democrat nominee since slick likely still controls the Democrat Party machinery and as far as I know the Democrats still have super-delegtes, i.e., elected officials who are automatically national convention delegates. The are the establishment and Hilary is the establishment candidate.

I agree with much of that, except I don't think Giuliani has a chance in New Hampshire, and I think there will be an apparent Republican nominee by the time the convention is here. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't believe the so-called "evangelical" block exists as described or believed. I think most people are more independent thinking than as characterized.

I agree the Clintons appear to have a death grip on the Democrat machinery, and there are not enough people with the cahoneys to tell them to get lost once and for all. I had hoped their wheels were beginning to come off, but probably a false hope.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 09:53 pm
okie wrote:
flaja wrote:

I agree with much of that, except I don't think Giuliani has a chance in New Hampshire, and I think there will be an apparent Republican nominee by the time the convention is here. Also, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't believe the so-called "evangelical" block exists as described or believed. I think most people are more independent thinking than as characterized.

I agree the Clintons appear to have a death grip on the Democrat machinery, and there are not enough people with the cahoneys to tell them to get lost once and for all. I had hoped their wheels were beginning to come off, but probably a false hope.

I think that there is an evangelical voting block, but it likely doesn't include all Christian conservatives I am not an evangelical myself because evangelicals are too eager to water down doctrine for the sake of winning converts to their churches and influence with the world in general.

But I don't see religion being the main issue with evangelicals. Huckabee seems to be getting most of his support in Iowa from evangelicals, but I would venture that evangelicals in other parts of the country may put issues like immigration over religion. And some evangelicals may not back Huckabee in the later primaries if they think he may loose the nomination or general election- again wanting to be influential even if it means giving up being right.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:29 pm
Iowa and every single person's vote does indeed matter in our election process.

What does not matter is all the noxious hype the marketing and media industries have surrounded it with.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:50 pm
The intent of any caucus or primary is to winnow the field of candidates, not to pick a winner. The reason Iowa is important is that it is first. Some candidates will drop out of the race if they don't finish well in Iowa. Finishing well is a subjective thing. Each candidate will have to decide that for him/herself. I think if you look at the top three finishers in the Iowa Caucuses over time, the results far exceed your 26%.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 02:36 pm
Swimpy wrote:
The intent of any caucus or primary is to winnow the field of candidates, not to pick a winner. The reason Iowa is important is that it is first.

Then why should a state like Iowa get the first chance to winnow candidates as opposed to a lager state like Florida that is more representative of the American electorate? Issues that Iowans use to winnow candidates may not even register on Florida's political map so why should Iowans be allowed to tell Floridians whom we can vote for?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 02:58 pm
Well, then you should just get rid of the primary system all together. That's the purpose of them.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:48 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Well, then you should just get rid of the primary system all together. That's the purpose of them.

The purpose of the primary system is to nominate the major parties' presidential candidates, not merely to winnow out candidates that cannot win in November.

I have nothing against the primary system as such and I don't mind that it is such a drawn out process since a candidate that cannot survive the stress of a campaign would likely make a very poor president. But I object to giving any state more importance in the process than any other state has. I would support a system whereby the states are divided into 2 groups according to their electoral vote. Put California is one group but then put enough of the smallest states in the other group to equal California's electoral votes and then let California and all of the matching smaller states have their primaries on the same day. Then take the state that is next smallest after California and couple it with enough of the next largest small states to equal the big state's electoral vote and then have a primary for these states. Then continue this process until all states have had a primary (or caucus).
0 Replies