Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 02:55 pm
- as if I needed more scaring.

I'm speaking of the potential of lasers in the hands of the idiotic or ignorant. This is probably not completely new as something to worry about, but new to me.

Teenager arrested in laser incident - LA Times

Teenager held in laser incident

The boy, 15, allegedly pointed the device at a commercial jet and a police helicopter in Orange County.
By Mike Anton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 28, 2007

A teenager playing with a laser he got as a Christmas gift has been arrested on suspicion of pointing it at a commercial jet and a Newport Beach police helicopter, officials said Thursday.

It was the third arrest this week in Orange County involving lasers allegedly trained on aircraft.

Early Sunday, Garden Grove police arrested a 52-year-old man after the Federal Aviation Administration received a report from an airline pilot about a laser. When an Orange County Sheriff's Department helicopter went to investigate, the crew was hit in the eyes with a laser beam while flying 700 feet overhead.

"They said they had headaches and blurry vision for a couple of hours," said sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino. "People need to be educated about the dangers of these lasers. They could cause a helicopter to crash. They could even take down a commercial airliner."

Hours later, Orange police arrested a 19-year-old man on suspicion of training a laser at the same sheriff's helicopter.

"Every year around Christmastime, people get lasers as presents and we see this sort of thing," Amormino said. "We don't know if the intent is malicious . . . but it's against the law, and we intend to prosecute."

The 15-year-old Las Vegas boy arrested in Newport Beach on Christmas evening had just gotten his laser as a gift, authorities said.

The pilots of a SkyWest Airlines plane reported being targeted from a location in the city. When a Newport Beach police helicopter went to investigate, its crew was targeted as well, authorities said.

Sailor said the boy was charged with discharging a laser at an aircraft, a felony.

[email protected]

Tell me something reassuring...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 907 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:02 pm
These things have been happening for years. Have you heard of anything coming of it?
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
things that really matter
Stop worrying about things out of your control. Start worrying about giving up your bolognese sauce recipe. If you don't have that, cassalagna will do.
Jambalaya is on tonights menu .Another dish,that I have a difficult time figuring out s side dish for.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:08 pm
That's easy, it's already on a2k somewhere, I'll look.

It's really Marcella Hazan's recipe, simple, just takes some slow cooking. I cheat and add some garlic to it. Turns out like velvet, and I don't mean velveeta.

(We can turn anything into a cooking thread, eh?)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:16 pm
Osso- Technology has enabled people to create more and more sophisticated forms of havoc. In reality though, the most dangerous thing is the nutjob who walks into a crowd with a bomb strapped around him.

I think that we just have to go on, and become too obsessive about what MIGHT happen. Egads, I could walk outside a minute from now, trip on a curb and break my neck. I refuse to live in fear. Que sera, sera.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:23 pm
Cub bought a laser. He was pointing it at me and I told him to stop. Explained what I had heard re airplanes. He said it had to be a myth. Lasers don't do anything...

I'm printing this out.

(Damn kids think they know everything these days. grumble grumble)

A resident came into the clubhouse yesterday to watch the news. He doesn't have cable. I had been listening to MSNBC. He changed it to Fox News. It was at that point, aftr several hours of news of Buhtto, that I heard the "scare" angle, and how now people will be thinking of safety and terrorists again before the US election.

Rolling Eyes

I aint afraid of nuttin' (cept lasers) and it won't change my vote.

Now, where's that cassalagna recipe and what the heck is it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:29 pm
I couldn't find Hazan's bolognese sauce on a2k, I must have typed it somewhere else, I lied.

I'll start a new thread and type it out, but not for a few minutes.

Oh, I'm not usually a scaredycat person. And I probably did hear about this potential before, but had forgotten about it. This morning it hit me as "yipes!"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
Re: things that really matter
alex240101 wrote:
Jambalaya is on tonights menu .Another dish,that I have a difficult time figuring out s side dish for.

That's 'cuz it IS a sidedish and if you eat enough of it, you don't need no stinkin' sidedish.

Lasers -- I ain't askeered. Not yet, anyway. Lots of things are felonies when it comes to aircraft, including saying four letter words that begin with "B".
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 06:35 pm
"They said they had headaches and blurry vision for a couple of hours," said sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.

Seriously? How long was that laser trained on them. The laser's I have seen must be different than the ones they are talking about in this article.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:38 pm
Are we talking about those little laser pointers that are annoying in the movies? I have one that I drive my cats crazy with, but I didn't know they were strong enough to do anything like this.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:42 pm
i'm guessing it was one of these things --

http://www.emarket888.com/en/photo/cimb4141em.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:55 pm
I never did like those things and if it's something that can take down a plane, then I think they should be taken off the shelves.

I can see them being used on tools like laser levels, table saws and stuff like that, but those pen things have no real purpose really. It also gives kids something to use simply to annoy or hurt others.

I heard something about those doing damage to the eyes. Not good!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:06 pm
Yup, they have a real use. We use them for pointers for presentations. That is, when we are not using them to make the cat spin in circles.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:07 pm
Yeah, that too.

I just don't like the idea that these things are sold so freely these days. They use to be sold as pointers for presentations, but now they're added to keychains and such.

My son got one from someone for Christmas and I asked "whatcha gonna do with that"? He says "I don't know, but it's cool" Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:40 pm
I used to bartend. Never try to get bartender's attention by flashing a laser in their face. We used to have people thrown out for using them in the bar.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:43 pm
I bartended as well and that would have baught someone a ticket out the door!

Damn things!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:44 pm
I have owned several of these lasers, we always had fun with them.

Never pointed it at airplanes though, or law officers.

Those things really do shoot long ranges, I know the one's we've owned would easily shoot over 500 yards......

Humm, the things people do to wreak havoc..........
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:51 pm
HEY! Y'all staying warm down there on the Plains? War Eagle! :wink: just kidding!

I have never had one of those lasers...I suppose...I have a laser level...but it never even occurred to me to take it outdoors and shine it up in the sky - that is bizarre. I had no clue they could shine so far. I am kind of with Montana...maybe they shouldn't make them so accessible if they are going to cause that much trouble.
0 Replies