mother in law......ditch her,or dine her?

alex240101

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:11 am
to the very end, and then some
I have returned. Mentally scarred forever, and a broken rear defrost button. I made up a few new words. Paying the real estate agent to say certain houses, ( the ones within a fifty mile radius to my mother in laws), were sold, was a good idea. ,...but, I shall not complain....just when I thought it was safe to feel good and relax(in my driveway, garage door opening) (seventy-one miles away-he was a good agent), the phone rings. Guess who. Her medication bottle must of fell out of her purse. I thought that was my lost container of tic tacs rolling around back there. Just after midnight became close to three in the a.m.
Cold and tired this morning, my heart did warm up a few degrees when I read I was being cheered on. Thank you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:18 am
Drink lots of fluids, alex. You aren't out of the woods yet.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:19 am
Hey Alex, nice to see that you survived :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 01:03 pm
A hot coffee with a chaser might be called for.

Probably a good idea.

Just in case.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:43 pm
Alex--

You are accumulating stars for your heavenly crown.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:49 pm
Some of us have so many stars in our crown that it would break our necks if we tried to wear them.

Welcome back, Alex. Glad to see you survived. Wanna borrow an antidepressant...or two? :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:12 am
Quote:
Some of us have so many stars in our crown that it would break our necks if we tried to wear them.

Eva--

You could lend Alex one of your neck braces so he could try it out.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:29 am
Wow, Alex, you're a good man -- and they're hard to find. You must love your wife a lot to do all of this for her mother.

Take care, and hang in there! It's almost over! :wink:

Oh, and welcome to A2K. You may pet me!! purrrr.......
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:57 pm
Alex, Hang in there........only way you can truly forever ditch the MIL is to forever ditch the wife, unfortunately for the most of us....we seem to get a twoooo-fer for the price of one when we marry!

Quote:
I just returned from my semiannual "predictable and obligatory" (great description, Gala) 4-day stay with the in-laws in West Texas. I know I say this every time, but those people are completely out of their minds.

There's the cranky Great Aunt on oxygen with bad hearing. (We stayed with her. She's the only relatively sane one. Four people in a 750 sq. ft. house with one tiny bathroom, though...it was claustrophobic.) Then there's the anorexic, bipolar, compulsive-liar Sister-in-Law with no teeth. She just got a new tattoo. Fairies, vines, leaves and the four elements now cover her entire back but do not disguise the ribs sticking out. The only reason I could tolerate her was because she was seriously overmedicated this time. Probably better that way. Her husband, the Human Ostrich, kept his head firmly buried in the sand...or was that the refrigerator?...the entire time. Their daughters, Ne'er-Do-Well #1 and #2, brought boyfriends this time. #2's boyfriend, the Sumbitch, was the same one as year before last, just before she kicked him out for cheating on her. He's still mooching off her...very blatantly. We weren't going to speak to him, but he beat us to it. Sat there, ate our food and left, never said a word. #1 brought a new guy that she met two months ago and moved in with after 3 weeks. Maybe he dropped clues that I didn't catch, but he actually seemed rather normal. I felt sorry for him...it would never work. #1 is way too messed up. On the bright side, #1 and #2 are both employed this Christmas, which is a first.

Distant cousins visited from Cape Cod. We haven't seen them since we went to the Cape 8 years ago. They had never been around the Texas group and were a bit shell-shocked. We piled them into our car and took them to a drive-in where they will bring beers out to your car. (Only in Texas.) They obviously needed a drink. So did we. Too bad I don't like beer...but with all the desserts that the Human Ostrich keep pushing at me, I usually passed out at about 9:30 p.m. from sugar inhalation.

All this is to say, Alex...hang in there. If I can survive a 10-day power outage followed by 4 days of Hell in Texas, you can make it through one day with the Whining Crones.

Oh, and welcome to A2K!

ROTFLMFAO~~~Knee Slappin' >SNORT<

Ohhhh Eva, that was the funniest thing I've read lately...brings back a ton of memories!!! My husbands grandparents were usually the drunks at Christmas...in their late 70's, Grandpa would be lit up on Schnapps, and the grandmother would be lit off of shooting straight bourbon. Then along would come the forever indebted uncle that would be higher than a kite upon his arrival, who reminds me of your toothless,tattooed, anorexic wench you mentioned, except male....lol
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 06:26 pm
at the auction
makesmeshiver, I recieved three for the price of one. "One small step for man, one huge stepmotherinlaw for mankind." Maybe I'll be canonized. Eva, that was a funny story.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:05 pm
I agree with the rest Alex, we just receive more stars on our crown of glory for trying to be a hospitable in-law.

I too, had one of those MIL's that would make the most sainted person hot in the collar and flustered, she was forever annoying those of us with the title of in-law, and boistering her heavenly crowned children with angel wings higher and higher at each visit, for they could do no wrong and we, no matter what walk of life arrived at her door from were never good enough to carry their last name.

>Sigh<
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
Quote:
...they could do no wrong and we, no matter what walk of life arrived at her door from were never good enough to carry their last name.

Married into respectability and sensitive about it, was she?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:05 pm
Quote:
Married into respectability and sensitive about it, was she?

Ohhh yeah.... :wink: Moonshine runner's, dope growers, gun smugglin' horse tradin' alcoholics......

And we were quite sensitive about it! LOL

>I had to come back and add...

When my husband and I had been married for few years, we were sitting on evening watching "Unsolved Mysteries"....and this man come up wanted for bank robbery in Louisiana. Well, dear husband knew the man from his childhood, and called him by name which come to find out was an alias....it was one of his Uncle's best friends.... Shocked
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:35 pm
makemeshiver33 wrote:
I agree with the rest Alex, we just receive more stars on our crown of glory for trying to be a hospitable in-law.

I too, had one of those MIL's that would make the most sainted person hot in the collar and flustered, she was forever annoying those of us with the title of in-law, and boistering her heavenly crowned children with angel wings higher and higher at each visit, for they could do no wrong and we, no matter what walk of life arrived at her door from were never good enough to carry their last name.

>Sigh<

I'm officially boycotting my MIL. She's mean . . .
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 06:41 pm
HA!

I guess to be real honest here, the reason my MIL was so sensitive about the whole thing was because her and my FIL weren't like the rest of the FIL'S family. They were different, they were church going, law abiding, hard-working folks. She didn't want themselves or her children to be associated by name with the rest of the family because of the family name. You know..."Ohh them Y's are all the same..." kinda thing...

They are the only children (4 kids) out of that family to be educated, sober, law-abiding, and hard working. So...somehow, I can understand where she come from.

But she was still hard on us In-laws, and sometimes to the point of being mean too.....
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:14 pm
I tried to understand where my MIL was coming from, but I finally had to accept that she's just mean (verbally and emotionally abusive). I finally gave myself permission to say enough is enough.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:51 pm
Good for you, Debra! I loved both my MIL but don't really care for my mother too much. She's not verbally abusive, but when she gets into one of her negative and critical modes, I don't want anything to do with her. I keep my distance from her and have for years. We now talk about once a year with a few emails in between, and I am just fine with that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:09 am
Debra Law--

Good for you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:14 am
Debra Law wrote:
I tried to understand where my MIL was coming from, but I finally had to accept that she's just mean (verbally and emotionally abusive). I finally gave myself permission to say enough is enough.

MIL boycotters Unite.

I am trying to do the same thing.

For the first time in years, I looked my husband in the eye yesterday and told him that I did not like his mother. At all.

And I felt so..... liberated...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:34 pm
Shewolf--

Good for you.
0 Replies