Quality of Expession and Clarity of thought

hak

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:34 am
Hello,

My name is Hakan and I desperately need some help from peope who are good at English.This piece is due on the first of Jan and i have put alot of work into it and am at the proofreading stage but am still worried about a few things.

1.The quality of my expression ( Are the tenses the same as it should be in the present,first and active voice,does the piece flow?Are the commas in the right places?

2.Is their any unclear parts and is their a theme that you can see or should i incorporate one? Also do you think the last paragraph fits with the rest of the piece ?Do my thoughts seem clear in my writing ?

3.Does the piece seem in parts to be dishonest,negative or platitudious ?

4.I have also realised that the quality of my sentences is not great do you have any simple ideas on how i could improve them in a short period of time ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,Hakan

PLAYFUL ALCHEMY

Teaching and Learning has so many parts without certain answers. As my experience as an educator grows I do not want to desert my ideas, enthusiasm or questions for the answer. To be a teacher I must be a learner.
Education is difficult, evasive and subjective. Can anything worth knowing really be taught? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of teacher. In a well-known parable, a boy is asked to write an essay on courage. He only writes two words: "This is." If he was aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then is it a courageous act. I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusionary. Therefore, so is my title and answer to the question presented in the parable. Before you lose all hope in me being an educator, you must realize that I am chasing it, but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher.

In my chase I have realized that learning is so much bigger than what I can plan for. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change if I allow it. During a unit on global warming I gave the students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept map's and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was distinguishing. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called an assassination attempt. Students in the group had tears welling in their eyes. Upset by the student's loss of hope I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team comes through in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did little, but get in the way as they needed more room. Presenting to year 8 classes that were not very interested, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as Billy and I walked back from the theatre, Billy earnestly commented, "that it was the best thing anyone in his class had ever done". What Billy lived I cannot grade. Assessing what he learnt depends on what I value, and not necessarily on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the groups a choice may have enabled Billy's group to be imaginative, and for their ownership of the project to grow. .Control was then given to them. In charge was their curiosity. I become smaller a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could plan for.

The quest to have more real learning experiences enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is nearly impossible, and this has created a relaxed attitude. It can be done I believe, if I am good enough and this gives me a drive to improve. When conversing with friend's I often ask who their favorite teachers were. Ones that saw something in me, were kind, let me express myself, understood kids, challenged me, or had a fun classroom are the answers I receive. Teachers like this motivate me to become better than I am today.

I want to become better because I respect and like students. Maybe it's because of their innocence, sense of play, or their ideological view of justice, and forgiveness. These are attributes that I regard highly. A colleague of mine who is 6-4 as mean as a snake, and does not have any of these attributes, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room the class sat frozen from fear except one boy. Mustapha was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe, because of the passion of his stand. Parent teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for, Mustapha's stand and his father's support of it. Mustapha and his father walked away profoundly hopeful in their values. This to me is more honest and important than any grade, I could have given. I learnt more from Mustapha, than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many thing's I learnt, he also helped me remember the 12 year old in me. For when the 12 year old in me dies, so will my teaching career.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 796 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:47 am
Quote:
PLAYFUL ALCHEMY

Teaching and learning have so many parts without certain answers. As my experience as an educator grows, I do not want to desert my ideas, enthusiasm or questions for the answer. To be a teacher I must be a learner.
Education is difficult, evasive and subjective. Can anything worth knowing really be taught? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher". In a well-known parable, a boy is asked to write an essay on courage. He only writes two words: "This is." If he was aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then it was a courageous act. I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusory. Therefore, so is my title and answer to the question presented in the parable. Before you lose all hope in me being an educator, you must realize that I am chasing it, but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher.

In my chase I have realized that learning is so much bigger than that for which I can plan. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change if I allow it. During a unit on global warming I gave the students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was prominent. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called "an assassination attempt". Students in the group had tears welling in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team comes through in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did little, but get in the way as they needed more room. Presenting to year 8 classes who were not very interested, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as Billy and I walked back from the theatre, Billy earnestly commented that, "it was the best thing anyone in his class had ever done". What Billy lived I cannot grade. Question Assessing what he learnt depends on what I value, and not necessarily on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the groups a choice may have enabled Billy's group to be imaginative, and for their ownership of the project to grow. .Control was then given to them. In charge was their curiosity. I become smaller a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could plan for.

The quest to have more real learning experiences enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is nearly impossible, and this has created a relaxed attitude. It can be done I believe, if I am good enough and this gives me a drive to improve. When conversing with friends I often ask who their favorite teachers were. Ones that saw something in me, were kind, let me express myself, understood kids, challenged me, or had a fun classroom are the answers I receive. Teachers like this motivate me to become better than I am today.

I want to improve (style)because I respect and like students. Maybe it's because of their innocence, sense of play, or their ideological view of justice, and forgiveness. These are attributes that I regard highly. A colleague of mine who is 6-4 as mean as a snake, and does not have any of these attributes, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room the class sat frozen from fear except one boy. Mustapha was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe, because of the passion of his stand. Parent teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for, Mustapha's stand and his father's support of it. Mustapha and his father walked away profoundly hopeful in their values. This to me is more honest and important than any grade, I could have given. I learnt more from Mustapha, than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many thing's I learnt, he also helped me remember the 12 year old in me. For when the 12 year old in me dies, so will my teaching career.

Hakan,

I have taken a few minutes to correct some of your grammar. The content is fine (except for the incomprehensible phrase about Billy) but rather idealistic for a cynic like me :wink:. You tend to overgeneralise regarding student psychology but apart from that it hangs together well.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:55 am
hak wrote:
What Billy lived I cannot grade

From what I gather, it isn't about grade...
0 Replies

hak

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:43 am
Idealist
Thanks for the grammar.

What Billy lived I cannot grade.I am trying to say that i can not give a grade for the project that does not incorporate what Billy experienced.I will try again.

The project asks me to be honest, not platitudinous. Be positive yet real. I am an idealist at heart but i will look closely at wether this is a honest and real piece.

Cheers,

Hakan
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:37 pm
As my experience as an educator grows, I do not want to forego my ideals, enthusiasm, or questions just to obtain the answer. To be a teacher I must be a learner, too.
Education can be difficult, evasive and subjective. Can anything worth knowing really be taught? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher.'
In a well-known parable, a boy is asked to write an essay on courage. He only writes two words: "This is." If he is aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then is it a courageous act? I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusionary. Therefore, so is my title and answer to the question as presented in the parable.
I am chasing the concept of teaching, but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher. In my chase, I realize that learning is so much more complex than what I can plan for. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change - if I allow it.
During a unit on global warming I gave students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was distinguishing. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called an "assassination attempt." Students in the group had tears welling in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope, I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team can be realized in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did nothing but get in the way, as they needed more room. Presenting their project to year 8 classes, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as one student and I walked back from the theatre, he earnestly commented that it was "the best thing anyone in class had ever done".
What this boy experienced, I can not grade. I can not assess what he learned depending on what I value, but rather on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the group a choice may have enabled this boy's group to be imaginative, and for their ownership of the project to grow. Control was then given to them. In charge was their curiosity. I become smaller, a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could plan for.
The quest to have more real learning experiences enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is not able to be achieved, and this can create a relaxed attitude. It can be done I believe, if I am good enough. This gives me a drive to improve.
When conversing with friends, I often ask who their favorite teachers were. I hear, "ones that saw something in me", "were kind and let me express myself", or ones that "understood kids and challenged me," or one that "made learning fun." Teachers like this inspire me to become better than I am today.
I want to become better because I respect and like students. Maybe it's because of their innocence, sense of play, or their ideological view of justice and forgiveness. These are attributes that I regard highly. A colleague of mine who is 6'4", as mean as a snake, and does not have any of these attributes, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room, the class sat frozen from fear, all except one boy, Mustapha. He was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe because of the passion of Mustapha's stand. Parent-teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for Mustapha's stand and his father's support of it. Mustapha and his father walked away, profoundly hopeful in their values. This, to me, is more honest and important than any grade I could have given.
I learned more from Mustapha than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many things I learned was that he helped me remember the 12 year old in me. For when the 12 year old in me dies, so will my teaching career.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
Sorry, indented paragraphs will not format here. So I will post again.
As my experience as an educator grows, I do not want to forego my ideals, enthusiasm, or questions just to obtain the answer. To be a teacher I must be a learner, too.

Education can be difficult, evasive and subjective. Can anything worth knowing really be taught? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher."

In a well-known parable, a boy is asked to write an essay on courage. He only writes two words: "This is." If he is aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then is it a courageous act? I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusionary. Therefore, so is my title and answer to the question as presented in the parable.

I am chasing the concept of teaching, but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher. In my chase, I realize that learning is so much more complex than what I can plan for. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change - if I allow it.

During a unit on global warming I gave students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was distinguishing. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called an "assassination attempt." Students in the group had tears welling in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope, I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team can be realized in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did nothing but get in the way, as they needed more room. Presenting their project to year 8 classes, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as one student and I walked back from the theatre, he earnestly commented that it was "the best thing anyone in class had ever done".

What this boy experienced, I can not grade. I can not assess what he learned depending on what I value, but rather on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the group a choice may have enabled this boy's group to be imaginative, and for their ownership of the project to grow. Control was then given to them. In charge was their curiosity. I become smaller, a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could plan for.

The quest to have more real learning experiences enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is not able to be achieved, and this can create a relaxed attitude. It can be done I believe, if I am good enough. This gives me a drive to improve.
When conversing with friends, I often ask who their favorite teachers were. I hear, "ones that saw something in me", "were kind and let me express myself", or ones that "understood kids and challenged me," or one that "made learning fun." Teachers like this inspire me to become better than I am today.

I want to become better because I respect and like students. Maybe it's because of their innocence, sense of play, or their ideological view of justice and forgiveness. These are attributes that I regard highly. A colleague of mine who is 6'4", as mean as a snake, and does not have any of these attributes, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room, the class sat frozen from fear, all except one boy, Mustapha. He was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe because of the passion of Mustapha's stand. Parent-teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for Mustapha's stand and his father's support of it. Mustapha and his father walked away, profoundly hopeful in their values. This, to me, is more honest and important than any grade I could have given.

I learned more from Mustapha than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many things I learned was that he helped me remember the 12 year old in me. For when the 12 year old in me dies, so will my teaching career.
0 Replies

hak

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:37 am
Thanks
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 07:04 am
A few more changes--and some comments.

fresco wrote:
Quote:
PLAYFUL ALCHEMY

Teaching and learning have ("so" is a comparative word, but nothing is being compared here.)many parts without sure (Change certain to sure. "Certain" can be interpreted as specific.) answers. As my experience as an educator grows, I do not want to desert my ideas, enthusiasm or questions for the answer. To be a teacher, I must be a learner.
Education is difficult, evasive and subjective. Can anything worth knowing really be taught? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher". In a well-known parable, a boy is asked to write an essay on courage. He only writes two words: "This is." If he was aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then his was a courageous act. I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusory. Therefore, so are my title and answer to the question presented in the parable. Before you lose all hope in my being an educator, you must realize that I am chasing it(What does "it" refer to?), but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher.

In my chase I have realized that learning is (delete so) much bigger than that for which I can plan. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class (delete comma) can change if I allow it to. During a unit on global warming I gave the students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was prominent(change prominent to remarkable). As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what students later called "an assassination attempt". Students in the group had tears welling up in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope, I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team comes through in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did little (delete comma)but get in the way as they needed more room. Presenting to year 8 classes who were not very interested, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as Billy and I walked back from the theatre, Billy earnestly commented that, "it was the best thing anyone in his class had ever done". What Billy lived I cannot grade.(This seems ok to me. You might want to change it to What Billy lived cannot be graded.)Assessing what he learnt depends on what I value (delete comma) and not necessarily on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the groups a choice may have enabled Billy's group to be imaginative thus giving their ownership of the project to grow. Control was then given to them. It was their curiosity that was in charge. I became smaller, a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could have anticipated.

My quest to give my students more real learning experiences enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is nearly impossible, and this has created a relaxed attitude. It can be done I believe, if I am good enough, and this gives me the drive to improve. When conversing with friends, I often ask who their favorite teachers were. Ones that saw something in me, were kind, let me express myself, understood kids, challenged me, or had a fun classroom are the answers I receive. Teachers like this motivate me to become better than I am today.

I want to improve (style)because I respect and like students. Maybe it's because of their innocence, their sense of play, or their ideological view of justice, and forgiveness. These are attributes that I regard highly. A colleague of mine who is 6-4(Does this refer to his height? If so, say 6 feet four inches or 6'4"), as mean as a snake, and does not have any of these attributes (delete comma) decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room, the class sat frozen from fear except one boy. Mustapha was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered, and I was in awe, because of the passion of his stand. Parent-teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for (delete comma) Mustapha's stand and his father's support of it. (You need to explain the father's support. You refer to it as if the readers will know what you mean.)Mustapha and his father walked away profoundly hopeful in their values. (What does this mean? This is vague.) This to me is more honest and important than any grade (Delete comma) I could have given. I learnt more from Mustapha (delete comma) than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many thing's I learnt, he also helped me remember the 12-year-old in me. For when the 12-year-old in me dies, so will my teaching career.

Your writing is pretty good. You need to learn about the use and application of commas.

I think this would be a stronger essay if it were more focused--or perhaps more specific in its theme. It tends to ramble a bit. Establish a theme and state what it is in the first paragraph. The following paragraphs should support it. Much of what you've written is connected. This needs to be clearer and sharper.

Note: My changes are based on what Fresco did. I was writing while Sullyfish was posting.
0 Replies

hak

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:06 am
Quote:
Much of what you've written is connected. This needs to be clearer and sharper.

Roberta do you mean that the writing is connected and i have to make this more obvious with a theme?

Sullyfish in your second post the paragraphs are much shorter then Fresco's and your original post.Is this how you think the piece should be written?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:24 pm
hak wrote:
Quote:
Much of what you've written is connected. This needs to be clearer and sharper.

Roberta do you mean that the writing is connected and i have to make this more obvious with a theme?

The ideas (not all) are connected. A theme would enable you to link them together. At first I thought that your opening statement was the theme--to be a teacher you must first be a learner. But you wandered from that. I then thought that the theme was, How can anything worth knowing be taught? There were other potential themes that emerged, but none was dominant. You need to decide what this is about. Then you must pick and choose the statements and examples that expand on and illucidate your theme. What does your mean colleague have to do with anything? Only what Mustapha did. Things you can't teach? This is a matter of character, not classroom knowledge, I think.

Someone once provided a very easy approach to speech-making: Tell them what you're going to say (state your theme), say it (expand and give examples), and then tell them what you said (summarize to show that you've made your point). Simplistic but accurate.
0 Replies

hak

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:26 am
Shapeless,Sullfish,Roberta,Fresco
Hello guys,

i have taken your advice on board and have tried to connect the piece in more places.i have also tried to add a theme im not sure how succesfully though.

I am now about 95 words over the word limit.i am not sure if i should cut out a section or just cut words by making it clearer I may cut out some words from the concept map story as i do beleive as Fresco says that i have overgeneralised.

I have not had to much time to work on it and only have tommorow morning and still have to work on the first person present tense stuff.So any ideas on what i should cut ? and How the theme fits would be of great value.

What does it mean to be a teacher is a question I like to ponder? Learning can not always be graded or planned for, and yet I still want to become better at creating it. It's because I want to acknowledge the uniqueness in students and the child that lives in me. A belief in these ideals helps me get through the specific challenges that as a teacher I face day to day

Education can be difficult, evasive and subjective. Can I teach anything worth knowing? How do we create profound learning experiences? How do we judge what a student has been learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher."

In a well-known parable, a wise man asked a boy to write an essay on courage. He writes only two words: "This is." If he is aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then is it a courageous act? I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is much of the time obscure and illusionary. Therefore, so is my title and answer to the question as presented in the parable.

I am chasing the concept of teaching, but just can't seem to grasp it. At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher. In my chase, I realize that learning is much more complex than what I can plan for. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change - if I allow it to.

During a unit on global warming I gave students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was distinguishing. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called an "assassination attempt." Students in the group had tears welling up in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope, I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team can be realized in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did nothing but get in the way, as they needed more room. Presenting their project to year 8 classes, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as one student and I walked back from the theatre, he earnestly commented that, "it was "the best thing anyone in class had ever done".

What this boy experienced, I cannot grade. I can not assess what he learned depending on what I value, but rather on what influence the learning experience may have had. My decision to give the group a choice may have enabled this boy's group to be imaginative, and thus for their ownership of the project to grow. Control was then given to them. It was their curiosity that was in charge. I become smaller, a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I could have anticipated or graded.

My quest to give more real learning experiences like this enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is not able to be achieved, and this can create a relaxed attitude. As an idealist I believe It can be done I if I am good enough. This gives me the drive to improve.
When conversing with friends, I often ask who their favorite teachers were. I hear, "ones that saw something in me", "were kind and let me express myself", or ones that "understood kids and challenged me," or one that "made learning fun." I never hear about teachers and the grade they gave. Teachers like this inspire me to become better than I am today.

I want to better at acknowledging the uniqueness in students. To promote their talents and character traits A colleague of mine who is 6'4", as mean as a snake, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room, the class sat frozen from fear, all except one boy, Mustapha. He was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe because of the passion of Mustapha's stand. Parent-teacher night enabled me to express my admiration for Mustapha's stand and for his father who supports him to stand up for his rights. Mustapha and his father walked away, proud that they had the courage to do what they thought was right. This, to me, is more honest, validating and important than any grade I could have given. Through acknowledging Mustapha I hope that he learnt something about his own unique courage.

I learned more from Mustapha than anything my dictator of a colleague had ever taught me. Amongst the many things I learned was that he helped me remember the 12 year old in me. The part of me that questions, does not plan all his actions, has courage part that values something more then a grade. For when this dies, the 12 year old in me dies, and so will my teaching career.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:27 pm
What does it mean to be a teacher is a question I lWOULD LIKE TO ponder. Learning can not always be graded or planned for, and yet I still want to become better at its creation. I want to acknowledge the uniqueness in students and the child that lives in me. A belief in these ideals helps me get through the specific challenges that as a teacher I will face everyday.

Education can be difficult, evasive and subjective. Can I teach anything worth knowing? How can I create profound learning experiences? How can I judge what a student has learned? These questions are eternal and make me reluctant to take on the clichéd title of "teacher."

In a well-known parable, a wise man asked a boy to write an essay on courage. He writes only two words: "This is." If he is aware of the risk of not writing a true essay, then is it a courageous act? I have pondered whether the boy's initiative to tackle this assignment uniquely should be rewarded. Questions are learning's engine, and so the answers and grades should not be the main motivation. Learning is many times obscure and illusionary.

At the moment I am comfortable chasing what it means to be a teacher. In my chase, I realize that learning is much more complex than what I can plan for. What I conceive as a learning outcome at the beginning of a class, can change - if I allow it to.

During a unit on global warming I gave students a choice on their final project. One group loved concept maps and predictably made one. The map was unremarkable in content, but its size was distinguishing. As it was about to be presented, it was found ripped in half in what they later called an "assassination attempt." Students in the group had tears welling up in their eyes. Upset by the students' loss of hope, I gave a short speech about how the measure of a man and a team can be realized in adversity. Before I had even finished, they were throwing sticky tape across our classroom, giving orders, and planning the restoration of their map. I did nothing but get in the way, as they needed more room. Presenting their project to year 8 classes, the group all proudly held a piece of this big map. Afterwards as one student and I walked back from the theatre, he earnestly commented that, "it was the best thing anyone in class had ever done".

What this boy experienced, I cannot grade. I can not assess what he learned depending on what I value, but rather on what influence the learning experience held. My decision to give the group a choice enabled this group to be imaginative, and thus, for their ownership of the project to grow. Control was then given to them. It was their curiosity that was in charge. I become smaller, a guest in their classroom, while they became bigger than anything I anticipated or graded.

My quest to offer learning experiences like this enables me to keep walking into the classroom each day. A perfect learning environment is not able to be achieved, and this can create a relaxed attitude. As an idealist I believe It can be done. This gives me the drive to improve.

When conversing with friends, I often ask who their favorite teachers were. I hear, "ones that saw something in me", "were kind and let me express myself", or ones that "understood kids and challenged me," or one that "made learning fun." I never hear about grade they gave. This inspires me to become a better evaluator of true learning.

I want acknowledge the uniqueness in students and promote their talents and character traits. A colleague who is 6'4", as mean as a snake, decided to conduct a bag search. From when he entered the room, the class sat frozen from fear, all except one boy, Mustapha. He was adamant that it was unjust for his bag to be searched. My colleague was bewildered and I was in awe because of Mustapha's passionate stand. I expressed my admiration for Mustapha's stand and his father at Parents' night, and encouraged him to stand up for his rights. Mustapha and his father walked away, proud that they had the courage to do what they thought was right. This, to me, is more honest, validating and important than any grade I could have given.

I learned more from this incident, mostly, that he helped me remember the 12 year-old in me. The part of me that questions, does not plan all his actions, has courage, and values something more then a grade. For when this dies, the 12 year old in me dies, and so will my teaching career.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 05:00 pm
The essay holds together better. The theme is clear. I think you can shorten some of the paragraphs and cut some of the descriptive words.

Good luck with this.
0 Replies