aperson

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 08:21 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry for the confusion, I meant
"Atheists don't kill in the name of atheism".

Ah. Fair enough that you make the statement - but the statement itself is unfair to religion. All mass killings are done in the name of a belief, and all mass killings are done in the name of power.

Quote:
Maybe I used the wrong words. I was just trying to say that I can't respond to that statement, I can't reject it, I can't accept it, I can't debate against it, I can't discuss it.

Sounds like you are frustrated. May I ask - Is it possible for you to accept that another can accept the existence of a God?

To my way of thinking, there's nothing wrong in believing in the existance of a God...though certain aspects of the other stuff that often goes with it that can be problematic.

Ah, but remove religion and you remove a large number of mass killings. In fact, most mass killings are done in the name of religion, instead of other beliefs and ideologies.

Well I do find it frustrating. I come here, not only to change, but to be changed. When I came here, I was a Christian, then switched through atheism, buddhism, agnosticism, back to Christianity, and finally settled on atheism. I have reviewed my beliefs over and over, and if they're not changing at the moment, it's because they are extremely refined, not because I refuse to change. Some people come here "knowing" that God exists - they try to change others, or at least argue their case, while not allowing their own thoughts to be refined. I don't mind people believing in God, it's thinking that they know exactly how the universe and all creation works, down to the extremely fine points, that bothers me.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
real life,
Read. I am not ignoring the opposite side, only placing the relevance on the fact that a pro-slavery side exists and existed.

And I am not an expert on the topic, but I am preeeeeetty sure that the KKK are primary a Christian group, as I have said before. Burning cross, using the Bible as their main weapon to justify slavery and the inferiority of blacks etc.

And even if you are right, they still use religion as a tool.

Quote:
Religion is true for the common, false for the wise, and a tool for the leaders.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 08:37 pm
Quote:
Ah, but remove religion and you remove a large number of mass killings. In fact, most mass killings are done in the name of religion, instead of other beliefs and ideologies.

Hmmm...I think that you would find this in Error, though I have no proof as such. However, I would refer you to the two primary nations of WW2, Germany and Japan, who's actions were based on ideology. I would refer you to Europes Imperial past, which actions were based on ideology, to america's foreign policy which is based on ideology, to any empire (bar the Caliphate) which is based on ideology, to most of the great leaders (Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Napoleon etc, who's influence was based around ideology)

Quote:
Well I do find it frustrating. I come here, not only to change, but to be changed.
Most people do I suspect, yet there is no 'need' to change others...if their perspective grows and they decide to change, that is there choice entirely - what we can do is hope the change is a positive one.

Quote:
When I came here, I was a Christian, then switched through atheism, buddhism, agnosticism, back to Christianity, and finally settled on atheism. I have reviewed my beliefs over and over, and if they're not changing at the moment, it's because they are extremely refined, not because I refuse to change.
That's fair enough...of course, as with anyone, there is still room for growth Very Happy

Quote:
Some people come here "knowing" that God exists - they try to change others, or at least argue their case, while not allowing their own thoughts to be refined.
That is a valid perspective.

Quote:
I don't mind people believing in God, it's thinking that they know exactly how the universe and all creation works, down to the extremely fine points, that bothers me.
I would say a similar thing bothers me (perhaps it is only a different wording of what you say) - the lack of questioning of ones beliefs, and the principles on which those beliefs are based...that lack of questioning bothers me (everything should be questioned)

That said, should people choose not to question, are happy in their beliefs, and are still respectful of others beliefs - I have no real issue with them believing in something that helps them be happy.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:08 pm
Quote:
Paul told Philemon to treat Onesimus as a brother, as he himself would want to be treated. This is revolutionary teaching

xingu, treating one's slave kindly and treating one's slave as a brother are two different things. What Paul instructed of Onesimus was revolutionary because he pretty much ordered (by inspiration of God) that Onesimus free philemon. Sure some slaves were freed by romans and even adopted into households, but this was not a prevelant practice.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 08:48 am
kate4christ03 wrote:
Quote:
Paul told Philemon to treat Onesimus as a brother, as he himself would want to be treated. This is revolutionary teaching

xingu, treating one's slave kindly and treating one's slave as a brother are two different things. What Paul instructed of Onesimus was revolutionary because he pretty much ordered (by inspiration of God) that Onesimus free philemon. Sure some slaves were freed by romans and even adopted into households, but this was not a prevelant practice.

It was not a prevalent practice among Christians, or if it was I have not seen any evidence of it. The Bible did not tell slaveholders to free slaves; just treat them humanly. If I remember correctly the Bible instructed salves to obey their masters.

If one looks at the history of the Christians we see how good Christians treated the indigenous people in the Americas, their attitude towards them as well as their treatment of slaves. You won't find any biblical "love thy brother" here.

Quote:
"The Staunton Spectator found a religious message in slavery as the nation talked of John Brown. "In one sense no one, white or black, is free in this world," the paper observed. God had a plan, and God had put slavery in America. Accordingly there is only one Christian response to the burden that slavery put upon both slave and master: "When the man, whatever his complexion, recognizes the fact that his lot is ordained of God, and cheerfully acquiesces, he becomes a free man in the only true sense." John Brown, refusing to acquiesce, had proven himself not only a traitor but also a heretic, a blasphemer who dared speak for God."
From In the Presence of Mine Enemies by Edward L. Ayers Page 52-3.

Quote:
"In a 1609 sermon blessing the Virginia colony, the Rev. Robert Gray asked a pointed question: 'The first objection is, by what right or warrant we can enter into the land of these Savages, take away their rightful inheritance from them, and plant ourselves in their places, being unwronged or unprovoked by them?' He answered, to the complete satisfaction of the promoters, that savages had no right to keep any land that they did not exploit to its fullest potential. Overlooking the many native villages and extensive fields of maize, Captain John Smith described Virginia as 'overgrowne with trees and weedes, being a plaine wilderness as God first made it.' The English insisted God required them to improve the wilderness into productive farmland, subduing the Indians in the process."
From American Colonies; The Settling of North America by Alan Taylor page 129.

Quote:
"Frustrated, the English made a violent and terrifying examples of resisting Indians. In August 1610, Captain George Percy surprised and attacked a Paspahegh village, killing at least sixty-five inhabitants and destroying with fire their homes and fields of corn. Taking prisoner the wife and children of the local chieftain, the colonist headed back to Jamestown by boat. En route, as a sport, they threw the children overboard and shot them in the water as they tried to swim to shore. Back in Jamestown the governor rebuked the captain, not for his brutality, but instead for sparing the woman's life. The governor promptly had her executed, run through with a sword. The raid seems peculiarly perverse as well as ruthless. Why would starving colonist burn a field of growing corn? The colony's leaders believed that they could get far more corn from the other Indians by making one especially horrifying example of those who fail to obey English orders."
From American Colonies; The Settling of North America by Alan Taylor page 132.

Mind you these were good Christians who went to church every Sunday, and read the same verses of the Bible you presentated. But like all Christians they take from the Bible what suits them and look down their nose at others who fail to see the Bible as they do.

What I find most remarkable about the Bible are its contradictions. God, in his good and evil nature, allows humans to copy any of his behavior traits they desire, knowing full well he will approve of their enterprise. No matter what evil or good one may do support can be found, in some way or another, for it in the Bible. In the examples above we see the Bible being used to support slavery and the conquest of native Americans. The massacre of the Jews in Europe also had the support of God, at least to those who were doing the massacres. It's also remarkable that God 'wrote' the Bible in such a way that any Tom, Dick and Harry can interpret it in any way they see, insist they are correct, and spew venom or the sword at those who fail to agree with them.

God is so wise.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:04 pm
xingu as i have stated with you before it's exceedingly diffucult to debate with you if you refuse to study the scriptures you are given. Paul didn't tell Philemon to just treat Onesimus "humanly". He said to treat him as a brother, as he would wish to be treated. You don't enslave your brother or wish to be enslaved yourself. Go back and read Philemon. And yes many people claimed slavery was Gods will and tried to twist scripture to enslave blacks, but that doesn't make it right. I think it was already pointed out to you that abolisionists (who were christians) fought against slavery because they felt it was not Christlike. There were many pastors and other christians who spoke against slavery. Here are a few and you can look up more if you like:
Rev. George B. Cheever, D.D, wrote sermon "God Against Slavery
and the Freedom and Duty of the Pulpit To Rebuke It, As a Sin against God." 1857
Harriet Beecher Stowe (abolitionist and christian)
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
Quote:
And yes many people claimed slavery was Gods will and tried to twist scripture to enslave blacks, but that doesn't make it right

Just a small thing to point out there Kate. Scripture often appears to be twisted many ways - for good, for bad, and to suit a particular persons needs (be that personal needs, or the need to convince others of the righteousness of a particular ideology of his/hers)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:41 pm
Saying that "scripture is twisted" is beginning to lose meaning. We are now at the point where nobody can get untwisted scripture.

In general the value of scripture is shot.

T
K
O
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 02:58 pm
Certain parts of it provide rather good value...and there are other parts in which the value is rather questionable. It is probably more often the use to which it is put / the way it is used (and the resultant effects) that detracts from it's overall value.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 03:19 pm
aperson wrote:
real life,
Read. I am not ignoring the opposite side, only placing the relevance on the fact that a pro-slavery side exists and existed.

But when you state (or imply) that the Bible 'caused' one group (KKK) to form, why did the Bible not 'cause' the opposing group (abolitionists) to form?

You cannot 'credit ' the Bible for 'causing' the KKK, unless you 'credit' the Bible for the rise of the abolitionists as well.

So, if one says that the Bible 'caused' two opposing groups to form, it is obvious that it caused neither.

That is because the Bible cannot 'cause' anything . It is a book.

aperson wrote:
And I am not an expert on the topic, but I am preeeeeetty sure that the KKK are primary a Christian group, as I have said before. Burning cross, using the Bible as their main weapon to justify slavery and the inferiority of blacks etc.

And even if you are right, they still use religion as a tool......

Or misuse.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:35 pm
real life,
You miss my point yet again.

I do credit the Bible for both sides, but I am saying that surely it should have only produced one side. Understand?

Oh and don't tell me the Bible is just a book. That's plain silly and we both know it. Besides, that's coming from a devout and fundamentalist Christian - slightly oxymoronic, don't you think? If you are resorting to statements as ridiculous as that then you are indeed getting desperate.

Same thing.

vikorr,
And I would refer to you religious terrorism, sacrifices, witch burning, execution due to ridiculous things (a man in Palestine, I think, was recently executed for saying that Muhammad was sexist), religious wars, use of religion as a tool (Hitler, while an atheist (who didn't war in the name of atheism), used Christianity as a justification for the rest of Germany) etc not to mention the damage done to an enormous number of people's sense and logic.

I'm glad to see you agree with me on many fields.

But in arguing your side and succeeding, you are inevitably changing people.

Yep there's room for more growth, (I am only 15.)

Brilliant! It is my thought that the only commandment should be, "Thou shalt question everything."

Ah yes, the old happiness or truth problem (replace truth with freedom, or humanity, to get something similar). Personally, I choose truth, but many others would choose hapiness.

Diest TKO,
My thoughts entirely.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 08:18 pm
Hi Aperson,
Quote:
vikorr,
And I would refer to you religious terrorism, sacrifices, witch burning, execution due to ridiculous things (a man in Palestine, I think, was recently executed for saying that Muhammad was sexist), religious wars, use of religion as a tool (Hitler, while an atheist (who didn't war in the name of atheism), used Christianity as a justification for the rest of Germany) etc not to mention the damage done to an enormous number of people's sense and logic.

Religion certainly is involved in numerous needless deaths/wars. I would also point out that your response mentioned things that were not mass killings, others that were based on both religious and ideological grounds, and offered further examples that went a long way past your original claim (to which I was replying) - that being :

Quote:

While many of the things you mentioned are valid, and others are valid in specific instances, your examples don't (to me) go to show that most mass killings are done in the name of religion.

Quote:
I'm glad to see you agree with me on many fields.

But in arguing your side and succeeding, you are inevitably changing people.

Change inevitably happens (both ways) as we talk with others. Also, I'm not arguing a 'side' but a perspective. There is no need to be on a side (which is why you will see me post positive things about the bible as well), and there is no 'need' to change people - what happens happens.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:22 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
xingu as i have stated with you before it's exceedingly diffucult to debate with you if you refuse to study the scriptures you are given. Paul didn't tell Philemon to just treat Onesimus "humanly". He said to treat him as a brother, as he would wish to be treated. You don't enslave your brother or wish to be enslaved yourself. Go back and read Philemon. And yes many people claimed slavery was Gods will and tried to twist scripture to enslave blacks, but that doesn't make it right. I think it was already pointed out to you that abolisionists (who were christians) fought against slavery because they felt it was not Christlike. There were many pastors and other christians who spoke against slavery. Here are a few and you can look up more if you like:
and the Freedom and Duty of the Pulpit To Rebuke It, As a Sin against God." 1857

Who was speaking here: "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. " ?

Does God say anywhere in the bible that slavery was wrong?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:33 am
aperson wrote:

I do credit the Bible for both sides, but I am saying that surely it should have only produced one side. Understand?

No you don't .

Your rant was about how 'the Bible spawned (i.e. caused) the KKK'.

No mention of abolitionists.

Just implied causality, as if a book can 'force' people to do something.

Your rants are simply the parroting of other atheists and agnostics who are able to draw attention to themselves.

Perhaps you consider yourself to sound intelligent when you echo their sentiments without the trace of an original thought.

But that's not how you appear to others.

If the Bible can 'cause' the KKK, then it can 'cause' the abolitionist movement.

But in reality, people make choices and carry them out of their own free will.

There will always be those who do evil and try to appear righteous. They will misuse and mislead by any means[/i] that is convenient.

When speaking to the religious, they will try to appear religious.

When speaking to a businessman, they will tell him that their actions are in his financial interest.

When speaking to a patriot, they will say that their policies are for the good of the country.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:59 am
real life wrote:
aperson wrote:

No you don't .

Your rants are simply the parroting of other atheists and agnostics who are able to draw attention to themselves.

Perhaps you consider yourself to sound intelligent when you echo their sentiments without the trace of an original thought.

The KKK's connection to Christianity is undeniable. Certainly, the abolutionists as well, but I don't think the point of the thread was to deny that, only to focus on the fact that Christianity's dark past (or even things done in the name of christianity) is not so far removed from our contemporary history.

As for parroting, there would be fewer parrots if the priests would address the kinds of dangers of the christian beliefs and how people will prey upon their religious convictions. Christian's are often taught about how to be strong, they are rarely forced to address the dangers that exist in a candid manor. Addressin such issues as church group-think etc.

Honestly, I think most Christians would bennefit. Same for the Muslims.

however...
real life wrote:

If the Bible can 'cause' the KKK, then it can 'cause' the abolitionist movement.

There will always be those who do evil and try to appear righteous. They will misuse and mislead by any means[/i] that is convenient.

When speaking to a businessman, they will tell him that their actions are in his financial interest.

When speaking to a patriot, they will say that their policies are for the good of the country.

I'll agree with you on all these points.

I'd only add that the deep hatred that the KKK has is more than simple ignorance. That kind of hatred has to be taught. So the free will of individuals (namely children brought up in that kind of household) may not be equiped with the ability to behave rationally inregaurds to race.

Their actions may be founded on much more.
K
O
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:56 am
Quote:
As for parroting, there would be fewer parrots if the priests would address the kinds of dangers of the christian beliefs and how people will prey upon their religious convictions. Christian's are often taught about how to be strong, they are rarely forced to address the dangers that exist in a candid manor. Addressin such issues as church group-think etc.

It's a problem for most religions - to avoid being used, one must understand - to understand, one must first question.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:20 am
Pauligirl wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

Who was speaking here: "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. " ?

Does God say anywhere in the bible that slavery was wrong?

Another of those great contradictions of the Bible. God is so full of contradictions. But then God is both good and evil, just like humans, the model the Biblical God was based on. Good and evil do contradict one another, do you think?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:29 am
real life wrote:
aperson wrote:

No you don't .

The point here is the God in the Bible is so full of evil it makes it easy for one to use their free will for evil and find that God approves. As you well know from Genesis we are just like the Gods (more than one, right?) with the exception that we can't live forever. Now, if we can find that tree of life that God so well guarded maybe we can be like Gods in every manner, good, evil and have eternal life (Genesis 3:22).
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:21 am
Here is an example of warmongers using scripture to forment hate and violence in the Middle East.

Quote:
President Bush Agrees to Sell Military Equipment to Saudi Arabia
Category: J.W.N. Exclusives

I am outraged and you should be also. President Bush is in Saudi Arabia. He has just agreed to sell the Saudis $20 billion worth of military equipment. This is the same country that refused to recognize Israel's right to exist; the same country that will not allow one Jew to set foot on its soil; the same country that birthed the 9/11 suicide bombers; the same country that refuses a church to exist and will cut the heads off any Christian who leads a Muslim to Christ - the Saudis do this all the time - as the world sleeps. This is the same country that is sending suicide bombers into Iraq to kill our troops and the same country that is attempting to destroy the U.S. economy with One-Hundred-Dollar barrel oil. This is blackmail!

HATE!!

I was completely outraged when I heard that Ehud Olmert, whom I have known for 26 years, stood next to President Bush and declared that he would work to fulfill the final status solution to the Road Map to Peace. In essence, this means the division of Jerusalem (with all Christian Holy Sites being under Islamic rule of law) and Judea and Samaria turned over to the Palestinians.

A national Save Jerusalem Campaign has been launched. Presently over 120,000 have signed the petition. The goal is to have one million signatures of the petition to present to President Bush. This petition will also be sent to Ehud Olmert.

You can add your name to the Presidential Petition by voting now.

This is outrageous. These are terrorist organizations that will kill a Jew in a second if they make a wrong turn on the road and will shoot a Christian Palestinian in the head for saying nice things about Jews.

ANGER!!

As this absurd ceremony was going on, they were singing; they had music playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." The only rainbow that I believe in is the rainbow that God put in the sky when He made the Covenant in the time of Noah that He would not destroy the world again by water with a flood.

God's word says I will bless them that bless thee and curse them that curse thee. America must not touch prophecy. The nation of Israel was born by a royal land grant given by God Almighty. It was birthed before there was a United States or a United Nations. All nations were only pagan nations at that time.

Do you realize that the U.S. Government is shuttling around with almost a dozen Arab states that refuse to recognize Israel's right to exist and, in fact, funding terrorists to kill Jews? It's outrageous!

Please, get one friend today to sign the Save Jerusalem Petition. This will double the number. Our ultimate goal is one million, but our goal right now is to reach 200,000.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the State Department is going to push this through if we remain silent. If it happens, God's hand of protection will be lifted from our country in a way that we couldn't possibly have imagined. I will not allow that to happen. I will do everything in my power to resist that.

FEAR!!

I'm asking for everyone ask just one friend today to sign the Petition.

http://myjwn.com/?p=622

The Bible can be used for anything. Maybe that's why Christians love the Bible so much; hate, kill, anger, fear, love, save, comfort; all can be found and justified in 'God's most wise' babbling.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:32 am
xingu where do your beliefs lay? religion, athiesm etc??
0 Replies