Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 05:59 pm
Aperson,
I was not indicating, in any way, that you do not have a right to state any belief that you may want to expouse. What I do object to is the way that you respond to someone who does not have the same belief as you.

You do seem to limit the choices to the three that you have stated. I would surmise that the answers would not be limited to your selection.

Yes, you are narrowminded for the fact that you think only your opinion and belief counts. Open your horizons and allow for other possibilities.

Also, I was not applying my response to just religious belief. It applies to any belief.

I am certainly not against your right to argue against anything that you want. I support that. What I object to is your not allowing that anything other than your opinion could be plausible.

Getting back to your original premise in your first post that started this thread. The people in that part of the world were not white.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:19 pm
I am not objecting to Arella Mae's belief because it isn't mine, I objecting to it because it is based on nothing and relies on rationalisation. All of you are attacking me on the basis of the first, while my reason is actually the second.

What are the other options? You say they exist yet fail to state what they are.

Read my sig. I allow for other possibilities. People like Arella Mae don't, because they know God exists.

Perhaps the use of derogeratory words was wrong. I apologise. But my point still remains.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 06:42 pm
I do appreciate your apologizing aperson and I accept it.

But let me ask you something, what good is a belief if you don't believe in it fully? You seem to think you know why I believe the way I do and you don't. You can't know. You do not know my personal experiences with God. And I am guessing you wouldn't accept them anyway because I cannot offer empirical evidence.

This is an argument that will never be solved. Belief in God is about faith. It is not about proof. Some people need the proof and some don't. I wish I know what makes some require the proof and some not. It is the one question I have been searching for the answer to and still haven't found it.

But it all boils down to you have the right to believe what you believe and I have the right to believe what I believe. We should not think derogatorily of each other because of it.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
Ma...
I -- think? believe? know? guess ? understand?, Now, all humans that have, or had a god of some sort, at sometime, somewhere, have- had, a great sense of being superior, having at all times, the knowledge, that they will be welcomed, in the after life, by their god and that you and the like thinking, will go to that other place. How do they know... the bible tells em so.
So now, one can understand why 80% of the humans in USA will never give up their christian god... gotta go with the magority... all those humans can't be wrong.... can they???
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:50 pm
My first response was to get a bit ticked at you anton. Why? Because where do you get the idea I think I'm superior to you or anyone else because I am a Christian?

I don't force my beliefs on anyone. I have discussions about them but have never and will never condemn anyone because they do not believe. That is not MY job! I am not God.

I believe in God, yes. I believe the Bible is God's word, yes. But it certainly doesn't make me better than you. Does your non-belief make you better than me?

I have no feelings one way or the other about you because of your lack of belief in God so why do you have feelings about me because of my belief in God? (Me and other Christians I should say)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:51 pm
I believe because I choose to believe. No need for explanation. No need to have acceptance by others. No need for apology. No need to provide evidence. No need to worry about what others may think. No need for others to agree with me. No need for others to fear me. No need for others to expect me to push it on them. I believe because I choose to believe. Works for me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:00 pm
Amen and Amen Intrepid!
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 08:56 pm
Quote..
I believe because I choose to believe. No need for explanation. No need to have acceptance by others. No need for apology. No need to provide evidence. No need to worry about what others may think. No need for others to agree with me. No need for others to fear me. No need for others to expect me to push it on them. I believe because I choose to believe. Works for me.

See what I mean?... Why would anyone need to say that ? sounds very much like someone who is very very certain that their future end on this earth is wonderfully orginezed because of their beliefs, while the rest of the unbelievers go to that other place. How do they know?.. caus the bibble tells em so... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
Nothing like reading into something someone says eh Anton?

I don't think Intrepid would deny anymore than I would that we are confident in our beliefs. What I deny and what I would imagine he would also deny is that we feel superior because of it.

It seems to me you are the one that brought superiority into the mix. No one else said anything even slightly like that or implying that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 09:08 pm
anton bonnier wrote:
Quote..

See what I mean?... Why would anyone need to say that ? sounds very much like someone who is very very certain that their future end on this earth is wonderfully orginezed because of their beliefs, while the rest of the unbelievers go to that other place. How do they know?.. caus the bibble tells em so... Evil or Very Mad

It would be much easier if you learned the proper way to quote. Not a criticism, just a suggestion for ease of reading.

Why would anyone say that? Why not? It is obvious that you lack the understanding of what I was trying to convey.

I did not say any of what you wrote above. Are you so insecure in your lack of belief that you are frightened by those who do have a belief? Why should you care whether someone has a belief or not. If you do not, then that is up to you and nobody nitpicks about it.

Your evil emoticon sums up your position. I hope that you have something in your life that brings you peace and joy.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:06 pm
The difference between me and you two is that I think to believe in something which has no evidence is silly. I wish you could see that. I wish. I wish I could stick a machine on your head which shows you exactly what I think. But I can't. It kills me. I can't get through to you with words. I can't get through to you with anything.

Please, explain to me your personal experiences (which by the way are the most convincing to the person who experiences them and the least convincing to the rest of humanity).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:16 pm
Why are you so (excuse the expression) hellbent on getting through to us? I am not hellbent on getting through to you. You either believe or you don't. No one can make you believe what I believe and no one can make me believe what you believe or don't.

And I'll pass on telling you my personal experiences. You make it quite clear with your statement that you aren't going to accept what I say.

And you think we are narrow minded?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:25 pm
aperson wrote:
The difference between me and you two is that I think to believe in something which has no evidence is silly. I wish you could see that. I wish. I wish I could stick a machine on your head which shows you exactly what I think. But I can't. It kills me. I can't get through to you with words. I can't get through to you with anything.

Please, explain to me your personal experiences (which by the way are the most convincing to the person who experiences them and the least convincing to the rest of humanity).

You have every right to think what you want. Nobody is denying you that.
No machine necessary. You make it very clear what you think.

Why do you want to get through to anybody? Why do you want others to think like you do? Why do you want to suppress what others believe?

Why would anyone want to give you examples of personal experiences when you have already stated that they are least convincing to the rest of society? You have already made up your mind.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:35 pm
I believe that E=MC2, but I don't completely understand it. More a matter of will than intellectual achievement.

Anton, the majority view is, of course, is not supported by its popularity. In the past we all believed the earth is flat.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
Hey JL. Sorry I didn't say hi earlier. How ya been?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:49 pm
Quote:
We can argue against someone's political belief, someone's view on abortion, on terrorism, on the death sentence, on homosexuality, but we have to respect someone's religious belief, no matter how arrogant, blind, ignorant, stupid or destructive. This I find fully frustrating.

Quote:
That is my response. vikorr, I hope at least you can see the reasoning.

Quote:
People seem to have taken a lot of offence from my comment on Arella Mae. I do not apologize. I am frustrated and weary of people like her.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:49 am
False: Christianity was founded for whites
True: The bible was writen from a white male roman standpoint.

Happy birthday west asian Jesus.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 03:13 am
Where do you get this crap?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:03 am
Arella Mae and Intrepid.

I am just curious. If you are presented with facts about something, provided by modern science and philosophy, arguments that can be so thoroughly backed and proven that there is no reason to doubt it, I am pretty sure you will accept it.

For instance, to make it simple, if you are told that you will die if you jump off a tall building, I am pretty sure you will believe it.

But when the facts presented, provided by science and philosophy, arguments that can be so thoroughly backed that there is no reason to doubt it... If these facts show that what you believe cannot be, how can you persist in believing it?

How can you become insulted when someone points out the idiocy of doing it, when there is no other word to describe what you are doing?

The fact is, such evidence exists. And if you cannot understand it, isn't that a matter of your own capacity to reason?

I do not understand quantum mechanics, for instance. I do not possess the intellect and mathematical skill to do so, and I have no trouble accepting it.
But I do possess the intellect to understand the nature of perception and existence to such a degree that I see that a sentient, personified god is an impossibility. You, apparently, do not.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:22 am
Diest TKO wrote:
False: Christianity was founded for whites
True: The bible was writen from a white male roman standpoint.

Happy birthday west asian Jesus.

T
K
O

You're right for a change Treppy.

Edit - True: The New Testiment was writen from a white male roman standpoint.

Make no buts about it, a part of the early roman church's agenda was to portray Jesus and his disiples (let alone all other significant figures in the book) as being caucasian.

This was facilitated in many ways but namely spoken tradition and art.

I don't agree that it was written to be a book for only whites, but after centuries of european influence, the book began to inheret a white brand.

As an asian, I would be very challenged to write a book from a hispanic person's perspective. As a man, I would additionally be very challenged to write from the female standpoint.

Concider whose pens and hands touched the book you so love. The KKK's conclusion is false, but it's based on a real and true basis.

I've meantioned similar things before. The stele in China from ~700AD which shows us how christianity may have looked without greco-roman philosophical elements and more eastern taoist philosophy instead. Had the vatican been estblished in the east, the bible would read surprizingly different.

It's odd what religion looks like when it's separated from culture.

T
K
O

K
O
0 Replies