xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 11:11 am
I would say about 85% Deist and 15% agnostic.

I feel the best evidence for a God-like entity is found in Near Death Experience. I believe this far more than the Bible for several reasons.

It is not a religion.

The entity is called The Light. It is pure love, or so that's what those who have encountered it say. It is nothing like the God of the Bible.

There are no rules. The closest thing to a rule is the Golden Rule, which is pretty much universal among all religions. It is not unique to Christianity.

You are not judged by The Light but you judge yourself.

People who have had encounters with The Light say they have no fear of death and no fear of The Light, unlike Christianity which talk of a God-fearing God. One never has to fear love and love does not set conditions.

I have never had a NDE but I have read several books on the subject. I'm not saying this is the way it is but it is the most common sense thing I have come across. I suspect we will all find out when our time come to pass on.

As for me I cannot believe in a deity that can't live up to the rules he claims to have set for us. That's hypocrisy and hypocrisy is not a virtue.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
xingu wrote:

I feel the best evidence for a God-like entity is found in Near Death Experience. I believe this far more than the Bible for several reasons.

It is not a religion.

The entity is called The Light. It is pure love, or so that's what those who have encountered it say. It is nothing like the God of the Bible.

There are no rules. The closest thing to a rule is the Golden Rule, which is pretty much universal among all religions. It is not unique to Christianity.

People who have had encounters with The Light say they have no fear of death and no fear of The Light, unlike Christianity which talk of a God-fearing God. One never has to fear love and love does not set conditions.

I have never had a NDE but I have read several books on the subject. I'm not saying this is the way it is but it is the most common sense thing I have come across. I suspect we will all find out when our time come to pass on.

As for me I cannot believe in a deity that can't live up to the rules he claims to have set for us. That's hypocrisy and hypocrisy is not a virtue.

What makes the personal experience of those who have written books about their NDE (and profited from writing about such) more credible than people who wrote books about their experience with God and gave their lives as the price for living out their belief?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
your problem is that God doesn't fit into the prescribed box you have created. do you not realize how egocentrical that sounds.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:18 pm
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

It is not a religion.

What makes the personal experience of those who have written books about their NDE (and profited from writing about such) more credible than people who wrote books about their experience with God and gave their lives as the price for living out their belief?

Most people who have NDE don't write books for profit. Most are reluctant to speak of it because they think people may label them as crazy.

The ones who do write books profit as much from them as those who write about the Christian religion, perhaps even less as their audience is far smaller than the Christian audience.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 02:22 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
your problem is that God doesn't fit into the prescribed box you have created. do you not realize how egocentrical that sounds.

My prescribed box is plain honesty and decency. Your God doesn't fit the bill. People who have NDE are honest about what they experience. They're not selling a religious dogma. Many Christians lie to promote their religious dogma. One can easily see that at any Creationist website.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

The problem with the Bible is that it is sufficiently shapeless that it can be fit into whatever box the believer needs/wants.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
real life, with all due respect, I think people see me as an intelligent and thoughtful person, whereas people see you as a fundamentalist, ignorant and willfully blind person.

I agree with you in the second part, but
Quote:
Good people will always do good things, and bad people will always do bad things, but only religion makes good people to bad things.

And don't say that only religion makes bad people do good things, because then you would be contridicting yourself.

TKO, ever seen the movie Mississippi Burning?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:05 pm
Kate - Why is it that everytime someone finds themselves in conflict with God, it's the person's fault/problem/issue?

I could predict your answer, but I'd be interested in your take on this problem. Further questions to follow.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:09 pm
aperson wrote:
TKO, ever seen the movie Mississippi Burning?

I have not.

Which is odd to say. It's actually rare that I have let a film slip through the cracks. I usually even force myself to watch the bad ones.

Just curious about if I had seen it, or did it relate somehow? Don't worry about ruining it for me. I'd probably watch it anyway once I had the chance.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:16 pm
aperson,

Don't speak for me if you don't mind. I do not see Real Life as you have described him and I am a "people".

I don't find you saying that very thoughtful though. :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:26 pm
Priests make poor bedfellows.

T
K
Laughing
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:43 pm
Diest, This may help.

Mississippi Burning Trailer
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 06:46 pm
mesquite wrote:
Diest, This may help.

Mississippi Burning Trailer

Thanks!

I'm immediately reminded of Mit Romney tlaking about the good ole days...

T
K
O
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 07:33 pm
mesquite wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

The problem with the Bible is that it is sufficiently shapeless that it can be fit into whatever box the believer needs/wants.

It seems that the same can be said for disbelievers.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
Intrepid wrote:
mesquite wrote:
kate4christ03 wrote:

It seems that the same can be said for disbelievers.

How so?

Ideas like Deism, Atheism, or Agnostisism do not forge believers into group think. Quite contrary, the three (and other's excluded for convieniance) don't have any sort of scripture to be abused and manipulated for their needs/wants.

"Disbelievers" is a cute phrase.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:19 pm
Disbelievers use the bible, as is the wont of some here, to fit things into the box that they deem appropriate for them or their level of understanding.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 08:37 pm
Considering the level of knowledge of the Bible many who don't believe in the bible display - 'Disbelievers' is an accurate word.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:07 pm
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

It is not a religion.

Most people who have NDE don't write books for profit. Most are reluctant to speak of it because they think people may label them as crazy.

The ones who do write books profit as much from them as those who write about the Christian religion, perhaps even less as their audience is far smaller than the Christian audience.

Thanks for ignoring my question.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm
xingu wrote:
People who have NDE are honest about what they experience.

And you KNOW that to be the case how?

xingu wrote:
They're not selling a religious dogma.

They are selling books. If they weren't , you couldn't have read them.

xingu wrote:
Many Christians lie to promote their religious dogma.

So anyone who disagrees with you is a 'liar', right?

xingu wrote:
One can easily see that at any Creationist website.

Same question as above.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 10:16 pm
aperson wrote:
real life, with all due respect, I think people see me as an intelligent and thoughtful person, whereas people see you as a fundamentalist, ignorant and willfully blind person.

Really? Let me ask in regard to this line that you parroted from wherever....

aperson wrote:
Good people will always do good things, and bad people will always do bad things, but only religion makes good people to bad things.

Which one are you?

Are you a 'good' person? If so, are you claiming that you always[/u] do good things?

Or are you a bad person (by your statement)?

Does claiming to be a good person who always[/u] does good , but being found to be lying about it make you a bad person instead?
0 Replies