vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:42 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I understand God pretty well. There will always be things about Him I will never understand though. Those things I just accept the fact that He is God and if He did it or said it that's good enough for me.

Whether you agree with it, understand it, etc., doesn't matter.
Neologist wrote:
So does it really matter how and when people die?

Uh, absolutely it matters how and when we die.

This is similar to Arella Mae's claim,
Quote:
This life is but a vapor...................spiritual and eternal life are what is important.

Â…Which she quickly retracted.
Do I need to point out the implications of your statement Neo?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 05:19 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
Quote:
There are certainly people who make a religion of atheism, and i consider them to be no different than religionists. However, atheists are not by definition of such a character. You have a typical theist blindness. Atheists don't attempt to "prove" that there is no god--it is the failure of anyone to provide proof, or even plausible inference for a god which leads them to reject the concept.

yet ironically many of these topics on this site are written by people trying to disprove the bible, deny the existence of God etc...not to mention the numerous websites, and groups of athiests who proudly and vocally attack christianity ie blasphemy challenge and rational responders.

Pointing out the numerous flaws in the Bobble (which ought to be an embarrassment to any intelligent believer) is not at all the same as denying that there is a god, or claiming that one has proof that no god exists. You are comparing apples to oranges. Among believers, there is constant disagreement about the meaning of any particular scripture, and a good deal of argument and strife about which scripture is reliable, and which is not. After all, christians and muslims claim to worship the same god, but they each claim the supremacy of their own favorite scripture. You are selectively ignoring that i have already acknowledged that there are those who describe themselves as atheists, and who make a religion of their "atheism." That does not mean that one can characterize all atheists as being identical, which was the point i was making. In fact, a great many of the atheists i have known in my life (and i've been a doubter almost all of my life, and an atheist all of my adult life) are disgusted by the sort of fanatical enthusiasm which makes the capital "A" Atheists no different than theists. There is, of course, no way of knowing. My anecdotal experience over my lifetime is that the great majority of atheists are not capital "A" Atheists, are not devoted to disproving the existence of a god, and are atheists because they have never seen a good reason to believe that there is a god.

When you drag the Bobble into the disucussion, you seriously undermine your argument, because to the atheist, it is a work of men, and not of any god, so arguments from scripture are meaningless to an atheist. In fact, most would ask how you know that scripture is divinely inspired--given that your only source for such a contention is either scripture itself or an assertion of your blind faith, an atheist would either point out that you are employing circular logic, or are devoted to superstition.

Quote:
You have a typical atheist blindness. Regardless of what you claim, you have a set of beliefs, You believe that there is no God, and it doesn't matter why you believe that(lack of what you call evidence etc) You still believe there is no God.

You are once again displaying your theistic blindness. I don't believe that there is no god, i don't happen to believe that there is, but that is not a case of asserting a fact (i.e., that no god exists), it is a case of rejecting someone else's assertion to the extent that a god exists. The latter is a statement of belief, while the former is simply a rejection of the belief. I have no beliefs whatever with regard to religion, and all that i believe about theism is that it is a belief set without visible means of support--rather like a bum run out of town by the police. The difference is that, thanks to millennia of superstition, the bums are in charge.

So, no, i don't believe that there is no god. I simply don't believe any of the bullshit which has been advanced as a basis for believing that there is.

Quote:
Quote:
I, personally, don't consider all religionists to be fundamentalist idiots--i do find that it is the fundamentalist idiot variety, however, who rail so loudly against atheists, and make such claims about them.

who on this site does this?

You, for one, which is why i responded to your post as i did. We have the member Foxfyre who has, within the last week, claimed that the resistance to the teaching of "intelligent design" in science classrooms is an effort at "Atheist" indoctrination. I'm not going to trouble to do searches for posts, but people such as "real life," Bartikus, Baddog and many, many others have frequently made wild claims about what it is that atheists "believe," and who allege that there is an atheist plot to destroy religion. Even so level-headed a member of this site as Georgeob1--who has a fine education from the Jesuits, and is by no means a religious fanatic--believes that there is a "secular humanist" plot to remove religion from society.

Quote:
Quote:
It is because people's minds are open that they become atheists. It is people who have closed their minds to any possibilities outside their creed that they are canting dogmatists.
yes i love the openmindedness of atheists. The fact that many believe their intelligence vastly surpasses that of a religionist, the fact that they love to lump all religionists together in the same mold (yet rant and rave when the same is done to them) and my favorite evidence of the openmindedness of atheists is given from this topic and debate that has ensued.

Leaving aside the ineptitude of your expression here, which tends to confuse what you are saying, you have marshaled a set of strawmen. Who here who acknowledges being an atheist has alleged that he or she possesses a vastly superior intellect to that of religionists? Who lumps all religionists together? I, for example, in my post which you have quoted, specifically referred to those who are close-minded as being those most likely to be canting dogmatists. I didn't say that all religionists are close-minded; i didn't say that all religionists are canting dogmatists. I simply observed that close-minded people who also happen to be fervently religious are those most likely to be canting dogmatists.

Intrepid, who shows himself to be a reasonably intelligent and well-educated person, fell into the same error of automatically assuming that the remark which i made about canting dogmatists was directed at all religionists. Clearly, the statement only applies to religionists who meet a specific description--those who are close-minded.

Once again, almost all atheists, at least in the United States, have come from a religious culture, and they have rejected the religious instruction of their youth in determining that they are "without god," i.e., that they are atheist (which is all that atheist means--others add all the sound and fury when they level hysterical accusations against atheists). It is hardly reasonable to argue as though all atheists were always atheists and to attack them for a belief set, when they possess none, and to suggest that they are close-minded, when it should be obvious that they have rejected a religious world view which they were given in childhood. They opened their minds at least enough to question their early indoctrination and to reject it.

Do you think that all atheists were catechized in The Church of Atheism, Incorporated, from infancy?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:34 pm
Vikor,

What good does it do me to tell you what I believe, why I believe it, etc., if you are going to turn right around and tell me that's not why, etc?

No one said you had to accept it for yourself or even understand it. But I know what I believe and why.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
Quote:
Vikor,

What good does it do me to tell you what I believe, why I believe it, etc., if you are going to turn right around and tell me that's not why, etc?

This is the problem isn't it. You can't tell me what you believe. You can show me what you want to ignore...and as an extension of that state some words that you would like to believe, but as far as I can see, you have no understanding of it, making the 'belief' just words (to you).

How can you build life principles on this subject? How can you develop an understanding of the world around you, and apply it? (or at the least, an understanding of God) You can't because you don't understand it...so the 'belief' is just words - there is no substance or meaning behind it.

Quote:
No one said you had to accept it for yourself or even understand it. But I know what I believe and why.

In relation to this subject, you most certainly don't know why. You have said so yourself on numerous occasions. Your replies show the same.

As for me accepting it or not. You are under a misunderstaning. I do accept that is what you 'believe', and that you have what you believe are reasons for it. I accept that you cherish that 'belief'. You are more than welcome to them. What is happening here is slightly different matter. You have come to a forum where differences of beliefs exist and questioning of others is fair game. Should you not wish to debate them further, then I wish you the very best, and a happy walk with your God.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
There you go again! I do know what I believe and I know why I believe it. The plain and simple fact is you don't believe the same thing and because of that you have no understanding of my beliefs.

You have absolutely no concept of what God even means from what I have seen. You continually try to put Him in a box to fix what you "logically" think He should be or do. It doesn't work that way. God is what He is. He does what He does. He has that right and I accept it and that is just the way it is.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:13 pm
If one believes what one believes and someone else does not believe the same or care to give the courtesy of not accepting, or indeed attacking what one believes then the simple thing is to not respond to that someone. One just sets themself up for disappointment and frustration in trying to explain their beliefs.

What would otherwise be a debate or even a discussion turns into tit for tat and nothing constructive is accomplished by anybody.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:15 pm
Well, this ONE thanks you for that advice. Laughing
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
Quote:
There you go again! I do know what I believe and I know why I believe it.
Then please explain :
- how what God did wasn't evil
- why you would not kill a baby on his command, and
- why you need to ignore your conscience (which is based on what you believe, and human connections) to 'believe' what you do.

As far as I can see, the belief you are unable to explain is a top layer of an onion skin, with no onion underneath.

Quote:
The plain and simple fact is you don't believe the same thing
Of course I don't.

Quote:
and because of that you have no understanding of my beliefs.
I don't need to understand of your beliefs, when you have no understanding of them yourself.

That said, I was where you were once, and couldn't answer such questions either (though I asked them of myself, rather than have others ask me).

The difference is, I've never been satisfied with "We can't know", "We shouldn't question", "He is unknowable (even while religion says it knows God)". I personally wish all my beliefs to be understood by me, and to be consistent.

Quote:
You have absolutely no concept of what God even means from what I have seen.
I disagree with the description of God provided by the bible. I've already said I little concept of what God means, and what little concept I have, may be in error.

Quote:
You continually try to put Him in a box to fix what you "logically" think He should be or do.
Not at all...humans in the bible put him in a box that isn't logical. My God needs no explanation to me, and has no inconsistencies, he just is.

By the way, your accusation of people trying to put God in a box (and the implication that it is a negative thing to do), is another way of saying "Don't Question God", or more accurately in this case "Don't Question the Bible"

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. God is what He is. He does what He does.
Once again, I have no quarrel with this statement.

Quote:
He has that right and I accept it and that is just the way it is.
Of course. That has never been debated. What has, is the 'why', and the contradictions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:39 pm
Vikor,

I would imagine you are probably as frustrated with this discussion as I am since we are getting nowhere.

This is what I believe:

I believe the Bible to be the true and inerrant Word of God. God-breathed and God-inspired.

I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost and that they are one.

I believe that Jesus Christ was crucified for my sins and after three days He rose again and ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father.

I believe God to be the ultimate authority in EVERYTHING. I believe that I am not to just be a talker of the Word of God but also a doer.

So, yeah, God can do whatever the heck He wants and it doesn't bother me one bit. It is His right.

I don't need to understand everything about Him. If you do, that is you. I hope this clears it up for you somewhat.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:46 pm
Quote:
I would imagine you are probably as frustrated with this discussion as I am since we are getting nowhere.

Not a great deal. My intention has only ever been to help people see consistency in their beliefs and statements. For this reason you will find me pull up people attacking christianity as well (when they become inconsistent with their stated beliefs).

That said, I realise people hold dearly to their beliefs, so it doesn't surprise me when they choose to ignore what they don't understand.

Quote:
This is what I believe:

I believe the Bible to be the true and inerrant Word of God. God-breathed and God-inspired.

I believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost and that they are one.

I believe that Jesus Christ was crucified for my sins and after three days He rose again and ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father.

I believe God to be the ultimate authority in EVERYTHING.

Standard Christian beliefs. Thank you for posting them, though there was little need to do so Very Happy

Quote:
I believe that I am not to just be a talker of the Word of God but also a doer.
Good for you. The only contention I have is that you need to understand in order to do (in circumstances not covered by the bible) in a good and loving way.

Quote:
So, yeah, God can do whatever the heck He wants and it doesn't bother me one bit. It is His right.
You have previously said it does bother you.

Quote:
I don't need to understand everything about Him. If you do, that is you. I hope this clears it up for you somewhat.

I already knew that Very Happy

As I said, you entered a forum where differing views are fair game, and questioning them is the norm.

That said, thank you for your replies.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:52 pm
You are right I did say it bothers me. And I suppose on some level it does because I don't understand the reason for some of it. This is where I look to the Bible and the fact that "the carnal mind cannot understand the spiritual things of God." But I can accept it because it is God's word. Sorry for that inconsistency.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 08:57 pm
Intrepid wrote:
If one believes what one believes and someone else does not believe the same or care to give the courtesy of not accepting, or indeed attacking what one believes then the simple thing is to not respond to that someone. One just sets themself up for disappointment and frustration in trying to explain their beliefs.

What would otherwise be a debate or even a discussion turns into tit for tat and nothing constructive is accomplished by anybody.

In short, my responce is: If you aren't ready to defend your beliefs, then you aren't in the right place.

T
K
O
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 09:26 pm
Quote:
You are right I did say it bothers me. And I suppose on some level it does because I don't understand the reason for some of it. This is where I look to the Bible and the fact that "the carnal mind cannot understand the spiritual things of God." But I can accept it because it is God's word. Sorry for that inconsistency.

There's no need to apologise Smile

One of the reasons I kept bringing up the "Would you kill a baby at Gods command" question, is your statement "But I can accept it because it is God's word"...if you can't do it, then you can't accept it (in relation to this specific subject)...you can want to accept it, and try to accept it...but the only true acceptance is in the carrying out of such a command (or willingness to carry out such a command).

The other, and related reason, is to bring the light the role of the human conscience in judgement and decision making, and how it (the conscience)works with, and is influenced/affected or sometimes overriden by beliefs / religion.

...and yet, I also believe, that in different times and circumstances (with different cultural forces, norms, beliefs, difficulties, and within a group etc), we are all capable of savagery in order to survive, better our lot, or for some other deep motivation.

...the modern day equivalent (of savagery) occurs to a degree, in riots, mob mentality, and on the battlefield.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:04 pm
God isn't going to ask me to kill anyone. If you understood the new covenant you would know that. :wink:
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 10:39 pm
Hi Arella,

I would refer you back to my previous posts with the expanded question :

vikorr wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
Vikkor,

God would never ask me or anyone else to do such a thing. So I would know it is not God asking such a thing

Let me make it a little easier to understand the question then - You are an Israelite back in the days of the Bible (when they did such things). God asks you to dash out a babies brains because it's parents don't believe in him.

Would you do it?
I didn't think it was necessary to put the whole question in again.

The principles inherent in (the giving of / and acceptance of) such a command should be no different today than it was back then. And the question of human conscience and it's role remains the same.

Asking you to place yourselves in the Israelites shoes, and then say if you would do it - it is asking you to raise the issue within yourself of whether or not you would accept Gods command (as claimed) to do such a thing ...It is asking whether your beliefs are consistent with your statement
Quote:
But I can accept it because it is God's word
... is there within you a true acceptance and belief in the justness /authority/ and principles of his commands? (in this specific case -to kill babies - and to show there is, were you an Israelite so asked, you would have had to have been truly prepared to do so, and in fact done so)

Given that you don't like the idea, and have never answered yes or no, I would presume that you wouldn't carry out such a command from him. The only questions left (if you wouldn't) are for yourself to answer, in relation to acceptance (as stated by yourself), belief, conscience, and why you wouldn't do it.

...well, the other option is to ignore this all together.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 02:24 pm
Neologist wrote:

So I suppose it wouldn't bother you if someone massacred your family.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 07:39 pm
xingu wrote:
Neologist wrote:

So I suppose it wouldn't bother you if someone massacred your family.
It would bother me, of course. But my grief would be tempered with the knowledge of the resurrection. (Consider Job 1: 20-22)

I've had two of my grandchildren die, BTW.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:57 pm
Neo - It is terrible to hear about your grandchildren. I send my condolences.

Being that you find comfort in the idea of resurection, you have to admit that the it would be very difficult for you if your beliefs on this matter were found to be false.

What would you do then?

T
K
O
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:08 pm
While I really can't speak for Neo,

...wouldn't the normal answer (and only possibe answer that I can see) be 'Get on with Life'?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:17 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Neo - It is terrible to hear about your grandchildren. I send my condolences.

Being that you find comfort in the idea of resurection, you have to admit that the it would be very difficult for you if your beliefs on this matter were found to be false.

What would you do then?

T
K
O
Not likely.

But that is where I was 40 years ago.

Yikes! Did I just say 40 years?
0 Replies