Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:44 pm
Arella

You're avoiding the question.

What if god came back and he wasn't what you thought?

Let's say, for the arguments sake, that god would not lie. There could still be something you misunderstood in everything you read about him.

So, what if he came to earth and he wasn't what you thought?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:47 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
God is not a man that He would lie.

Do you believe as some Christians do that God left things on earth to test our faith (This is usually a reference to the fossil record, or other scientific finds which directly contradict events written in the Bible, etc)? . . .
Actually, that's a crock. What is here is what is here. The bible makes no attempt to explain all the findings of natural science. Why should it? It is an explanation of why we have war and crime and sickness and death and what God intends to do about it.

The entire Old Testament was written and recorded so that the Hebrews (and the rest of the world) would recognize the Messiah. The Mosaic Law was precise and harsh for reasons no longer incumbent upon Christians. That is why Christ said he came to "fulfill the law." (Matthew 5:17)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:58 pm
neologist wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

Do you believe as some Christians do that God left things on earth to test our faith (This is usually a reference to the fossil record, or other scientific finds which directly contradict events written in the Bible, etc)? . . .
Actually, that's a crock. What is here is what is here. The bible makes no attempt to explain all the findings of natural science. Why should it? It is an explanation of why we have war and crime and sickness and death and what God intends to do about it.

The entire Old Testament was written and recorded so that the Hebrews (and the rest of the world) would recognize the Messiah. The Mosaic Law was precise and harsh for reasons no longer incumbent upon Christians. That is why Christ said he came to "fulfill the law." (Matthew 5:17)

I understand Neo, but you must acknowledge that there is a population of Christians which believe exactly as I have illustrated. I'm trying to better understand Arella's beliefs. As for the disagreement between different denominations, I've got no money on either horse.

T
K
O
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:23 pm
I have long asserted that I punch both ways.
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/boxing.gif
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:27 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:36 pm
rockhead
gotta love that sig line Smile
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:03 pm
neologist wrote:
I have long asserted that I punch both ways.
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/boxing.gif

I've always imagined you were a southpaw.

T
K
O!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:05 am
Arella Mae wrote:

Genesis 2:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.[/b]

Genesis 3:
22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:[/b]

24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life

God lied.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:15 am
countdown to intrepretive rebuttal in

Three
K
One.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 12:39 am
Nothing to interpret. The story is straight forward.

4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

The serpent told the truth.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:09 am
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
. . . Love isn't killing children for teasing a man about his baldness.
That's it!

Finally I get why you have a furry avatar.

You're bald, aren't you? Laughing

Or, perhaps, there is a good deal more to the stories you cite than what you desire to believe.

No Neo, I'm not bald, however I'm getting a little thin up top. Don't think I'll ever look like the sterotype friar.

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/reading49/friar.gif
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:09 am
xingu wrote:
. . . Love isn't killing children for teasing a man about his baldness.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:24 am
real life wrote:
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Only for purposes of education:
Quote:
At one point Elisha is mocked by children ("There came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head"). Later God sends a couple of she-bears from the woods and they tear 42 of the Moabites to pieces.

(2 Kings 2:23-24).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 04:37 am
Hi Francis,

I'm quite familiar with the story. It's xingu's poor understanding of it that I had addressed.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 07:01 am
real life wrote:
Hi Francis,

I'm quite familiar with the story. It's xingu's poor understanding of it that I had addressed.

What's there to understand that killing people is not an act of love.

What's there to understand that killing people for their religious beliefs is wrong. Your God is wrong and evil.

Why don't you explain to us how the killing of 42 children teasing a man about his baldness is an act of love.

Do you think we should all use this as an example of behavior?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 08:24 pm
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Francis,

What's there to understand that killing people for their religious beliefs is wrong. Your God is wrong and evil.

Why don't you explain to us how the killing of 42 children teasing a man about his baldness is an act of love.

Where to start..............

They weren't teasing anybody about having no hair.................

They weren't toddlers, tots, or youngsters...................

It doesn't say anybody died.....................

I think you DID get the number 42 right , however. Nice job. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 08:56 pm
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Francis,

Where did it say that people were killed for their religious beliefs?

Where does it say that 42 mocked him? It said that 42 were torn to pieces. That would indicate that there were probably many more than 42 who confronted him.

The translation for children could also have meant young men. It seems that many more than 42 were demonstrating against Elijah. Seems like a very dangerous situation and that Elisha was the one in danger.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
Hi Francis,

Where to start..............

They weren't teasing anybody about having no hair.................

I suppose that you are going to say that in old English bald meant white. Even if it did the reason for the mocking is immaterial to the story. The mocking for whatever reason is what caused Elisha to curse them in the name of the lord...wasn't there a commandment against that?

real life wrote:
They weren't toddlers, tots, or youngsters...................

You are absolutely right. In the eleven different translations provided by the Blue Letter Bible for 2 Kings 2:23 we are given these descriptions for the mockers.
little children
some youths
a group of boys
some small boys
young lads
little youths
little boys.

Also note that all eleven of the translations use baldhead. Not a "white" head in the lot.

real life wrote:
It doesn't say anybody died.....................

Right you are again. In the same eleven translations offered above the descriptive words are tare, tore, tore up, mauled. Ever seen a victim of a bear mauling? Then of course with no medical facilities or antibiotics........

real life wrote:
I think you DID get the number 42 right , however. Nice job. Rolling Eyes

I'd say that he got everything of significance right.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Kings%202:23-24;&version=46;

The link contains the relevant text, and you can change the version of the Bible to KJV, NIV and about 8 other versions.

NIV
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

KJV
23And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them

Contemporary English Version
23Elisha left and headed toward Bethel. Along the way some boys started making fun of him by shouting, "Go away, baldy! Get out of here!"
24Elisha turned around and stared at the boys. Then he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Right away two bears ran out of the woods and ripped to pieces forty-two of the boys.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 11:32 pm
......and none of them say that God sent the bears!
0 Replies