Jazz great Oscar Peterson died

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:12 pm
Jazz pianist Oscar Peterson dies

Jazz pianist and composer Oscar Peterson has died aged 82, according to Canadian media reports.
He released I Got Rhythm as his first single at the age of 19 and performed with greats such as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker and Herbie Hancock.

Peterson won a talent contest organised by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) when he was just 14 years old.

He was awarded a lifetime achievement Grammy award in 1997.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 910 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 12:18 pm
Oh, no, C.I. What a great pianist, buddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnrmFMnrxAU
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
Letty, Good link; shows his mastery of the keys. The sounds he produces is beyond words. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 06:59 pm
An amazing musician, teacher and mentor.

He'll be missed in so many ways.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
I don't play much keys anymore but I had to analyze his stylings in college.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:19 pm
He was the sine qua non of jazz pianists. Duke Ellington called him "the Maharaja of the Piano." I am about to put on my favorite Peterson CD -- "Count Basie meets Oscar Peterson: The Timekeepers." [Original Jazz Classics label], recorded at Group IV Studios, Hollywood, Feb. 1978, digitally remastered 1993.

Nobody, I mean nobody, could tickle the ivories and the ebonies the way Oscar could.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 01:16 pm
Last night I lay on my bed and listened to an Oscar Peterson disc: 'round midnight'. A great Canadian is no more. He will live on through his music and will be admired forever, all over the world.

quote:
Canada has lost a giant. Oscar Peterson was one of the world's truly great jazz artists. Composer, pianist par excellence, Oscar Peterson began playing in the Montreal of the 1940's, and went on to become a powerful presence on the world stage for over half a century.
He was also a great humanitarian, a gentle and warm human being, and a truly wonderful friend. He has been honoured in every capital and country, and became Chancellor of York University. He was a Companion of the Order of Canada and a member of the Order of Ontario.
Oscar's musical genius transformed the art of the jazz piano. His dexterity, speed of play and driving left hand made him a phenomenon at an early age. He broke tradition by insisting on playing to mixed audiences in the American South in the 1950's. His song "Ode to Freedom" became a mainstay of the civil rights movement. Felled by a stroke in his 70's, he made a remarkable recovery, doing some of his greatest composing and melodic playing with his right hand. There was a haunting wistfulness to his last compositions that reflected the depth of his musicality and humanity. He overcame adversity and remained a joyful companion right to the end. Arlene and I were lucky enough to spend an afternoon with him and his wife Kelly just a couple of weeks ago.
We mourn his loss and celebrate how he shared his magnificent gift and talents with the world. To Kelly Peterson, his daughter Celine and his entire family we send our deepest love and condolences.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 01:43 pm
noinipo, Oscar's dexterity and speed at the piano was legend, because his sound was unique and beautiful to listen to.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:00 pm
you are right, his incredible technique was enhanced by his melodic sense. Ray Brown helped him a lot with his wonderful bass playing.
Art Tatum was brilliant too, not in the same way.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:42 pm
Oscar's dexterity -- especially with the left hand -- was legendary. There's a story -- quite possibly true -- about his playing at a Greenwich Village nightclub one night back in the '50s or '60s while a woman with an unlit cigarette leaned on the piano. He is said to have gotten out a Zippo lighter and lit the woman's cigarette while playing, without missing a note.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:45 pm
http://oscarpeterson.com/news/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 08:01 pm
There are many great examples of Oscar Peterson's work available on YouTube, including

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkQNti8_EU&feature=related
0 Replies