Getting old is not for sissies

Roberta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:57 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I just want to wish all my senior compadres A HAPPY, HEALTHY, PROSPEROUS, NEW YEAR.

Right back atcha, c.i.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 03:08 am
Just trying to picture Setanta with both hands in the air whilst swaying to "Dancing Queen".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 11:13 am
lmur, don't be silly.

Setanta will be sitting stock still, seriously considering the quality of the vocals :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:24 pm
I'd rather watch the scenery than the milestones.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:27 pm
I'll remember that, noddy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 01:31 pm
Fellow old folks, I wish you all the best for the new year.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
got up with aching hips , but after doing about 30 laps in the pool felt "on top of the world" Laughing .
had no problem to tackle a big late lunch/early supper just now : aspargus soup , panfried shrimps and trout , a nice side-salad and cole slaw - no potatoes today , instead we each had a big sesame seed crostine and finished with strawberries with a (goodly Shocked ) touch of marie brizard .
ready to face the new year !
YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFULL 2008 !
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 02:54 pm
My wife and I just returned from lunch at a Chinese restaurant; she had beef with broccoli and I had shrimp in garlic hot sauce. Yum.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:48 am
Remember how, in the days of our youth, (our salad days when were were green in judgement) the wish for a Happy, Healthy New Year seemed to be a relic of the Dark Ages before modern medicine?

I'm wiser now. Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all. May we all meet here on 1/1/09.

P.S.

Hamburger--

You are a man who relishes his victuals, aren't you?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:41 pm
noddy :
being a born HAMBURGER some of my ancestors were probably VICTUALIEN BRUEDER (those were the pirates that robbed the merchant ships - of their VICTUALS ! Laughing - also known as VITALIEN BRODERS).
they were also known as LIKE DEELER - they divided/delt their spoils ALIKE !
i have a hard time living up to my ancestors :wink: , but am trying my best !
here's hoping that you will a a healthy and stressless (as much as possible !) 2008 !
they say a bit of stress is good - i'll have to find out some day :wink:
hbg

http://www.f-c-a.net/pxl242/nac/likedeeler.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:31 pm
Hamburger--

Get your mitts off my sandwich!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 07:55 pm
noddy :

i'll certainly mind my manners !

STOERTEBEKER was one of the last LIKEDEELERS (pirates) giving the burgers of hamburg trouble . he not only stole their sandwiches but also their ships !
in 1401 he and his 70 companions were captured and put to the sword .
a/t historical records it was celebretad as a big feast and all the solid burgers were invited to witness the work of the SCHARF-RICHTER (executioner , literally : SHARP JUDGE) .

a painting of the event is still on exhibit in the hamburg city-hall , to remind everyone : KEEP YOUR HANDS OF OUR SANDWICHES !
(i certainly will keep my hands of your sandwiches - otherwise another "historical' picture might hang in someone's living room Shocked ) .
hbg (trying to mind his manners)

http://brydesworld.fateback.com/magate/ma_texte/stoertehinrichtung.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:31 am
Hamburger--

You have my measured, rationed trust. With your genes and heritage....

I'm going to be careful.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:48 pm
noddy :
let's see if this picture will stay around .
reading history books tells me that watching executions seemed to be rather entertaining venues for the citizens - but i wonder if we really have become any more "civilized" ?
hbg

http://www.stoertebeker-pension.de/pic/stoertebeker.jpg

STOERTEBEKER AND HIS MEN BEING PUT TO THE SWORD
(they couldn't keep their hands of the hamburgers' sandwiches)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
Humans are never all that "civilized." We continue to build weapons that will kill more humans. Most people today ignore the on-going crisis of starvation, warfare, and killings while supporting the same in Iraq and Israel.

Look at China: they continue to push their economy even with the knowledge that they are poisoning their own people with pollution, toxins, and shortage of drinking water.

Bush's war on terrorism, and Gore's war for the environment are total failures of people to understand the important stuff of our world.

Corrupt governments, starvation, increasing use of fossil fuels and other raw materials are the important issues of the day. We are spending more on defense and warfare than we are to improve the lives of our own citizens. Many things are drastically wrong, and the citizens are letting all this happen without so much as a blink of an eye.

I don't have much hope for humanity during the next decade ir two.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:15 pm
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
I don't have much hope for humanity during the next decade ir two.

so you are planning to stick around for another three or four decades i assume Laughing ?

the oldest swimmer in our group is peter , a dutchman who just turned 91 ! he i still a strong swimmer - certainly better than i am .
he told me that he is beginning to feel his age : he sometimes takes a snooze in the aftenoon Shocked Laughing .
he likes to "fool around" with the women in the pool and knows how to pay compliments to young and old ... LADIES !
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:24 pm
I'd wish older age like 91 only if I'm still in good health.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:32 pm
our friend peter is still in excellent health .
he recently had a mild stroke but has made a complete recovery .
he's FINALLY given up driving his car but still rides his bike in the summer .
i think his very cheerful outlook has contributed to his long life - he's always ready for a laugh .
about five years ago he started to familiarize himself with an old computer and the internet and uses it almost daily !
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 06:35 pm
Keep him away from a2k if you want to keep him happy. LOL
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 04:09 pm
Hamburger--

Two of my stepsons are volunteer firemen--and rubberneckers are one of their big, big problems.

Human beings seem to crave drama.
0 Replies