Nightmare father.....

Roberta

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 06:26 am
dlowan wrote:
"But...no, nothing would have made my father feel better, but I could have borne him with more grace.

I know, you're going to put this aside for a while. I'll throw this in anyway. So it's not so much about your doing more as it is about feeling better about what you did do. (Or a combination of the two.)

You felt what you felt. You did what you did in spite of what you felt. It takes a lot to do anything when you feel the way you did.

Every dealing I ever had with my mother left me with knots in my stomach and wild rage. I did what I could for her when she grew old. Hated and resented every minute of it. But I did it. I took her for a medical test. She felt I was interfering. Felt she was able to take care of herself and didn't need me bothering her. On the bus on our way back from the test she sighed and said, "I have so many nice things and no one to leave them to." She said this to me, her only child. Painful beyond words. Enraged beyond words. I did more for her, but as time went on , I did less and less. And I felt guilty about it, but I'd rather have the guilt than the pain. Some trade-off, huh?

I think you're being too hard on yourself. But you feel how you feel. I hope you find a way to come to peace with this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 06:40 am
dyslexia wrote:
When the Lady Diane first met my father she asked him about any photos he might have (specifically including meself and my brothers when we were growing up) he responded to her that "NO he only had photos of people important in his life" and showed her photos of past friends of his that he no longer knew the names of and explained to her (Lady Diane) that he had trashed all the photos of his 4 sons (2 still living) I hear from him about every 2 years.

Blimey!!!!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Roberta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
"But...no, nothing would have made my father feel better, but I could have borne him with more grace.

I know, you're going to put this aside for a while. I'll throw this in anyway. So it's not so much about your doing more as it is about feeling better about what you did do. (Or a combination of the two.)

You felt what you felt. You did what you did in spite of what you felt. It takes a lot to do anything when you feel the way you did.

Every dealing I ever had with my mother left me with knots in my stomach and wild rage. I did what I could for her when she grew old. Hated and resented every minute of it. But I did it. I took her for a medical test. She felt I was interfering. Felt she was able to take care of herself and didn't need me bothering her. On the bus on our way back from the test she sighed and said, "I have so many nice things and no one to leave them to." She said this to me, her only child. Painful beyond words. Enraged beyond words. I did more for her, but as time went on , I did less and less. And I felt guilty about it, but I'd rather have the guilt than the pain. Some trade-off, huh?

I think you're being too hard on yourself. But you feel how you feel. I hope you find a way to come to peace with this.

Oy veh!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 06:45 am
I can emphasize. I had a very terrible and cruel time of it with my stepfather, something I never really worked out in a satisfying way; it finally became more or less dormant in the past ten or twelve years, as I settled into a more or less comfortable age. I don't know the answers.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
A couple of things struck me about this topic. One is that in your initial post you mentioned that you were able to in some way stop the verbal abuse. So, you've had the tools and I'm sure you still do, for dealing with this. You may have put them away for a while, but you certainly have them.

Also, I'm with Tico and anyone else who thinks it's not really about your father. I'm thinking that that's the big, fat red herring in the dream, and the reality is that the dream is more about Christmas, the possible new relationship and the usual stock-taking that occurs at the end of the year with many of us. As Lennon said, "And so this is Christmas, and what have you done?"

Perhaps your subsconscious isn't coming up with enough that you've done. Not necessarily about your father but in general. I'm not blaming you and I'm sure that's not the case in real life. But the subconscience needs a little reassurance in that area.

One idea I came up with was directed dreaming. E. g. you dream you're falling, night after night, and one day you muster up all your energy and make sure that your dream contains a parachute. And then you stop dreaming about falling.

Well, you're currently dreaming about a disordered relationship with a man in a disordered house. What would happen if you dreamed of adding a bucket and a mop to the dream? Or some other symbols of cleaning, erasing, organizing and purifying?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 05:05 pm
jespah wrote:

Also, I'm with Tico and anyone else who thinks it's not really about your father.

I think the issues with your father are real--and unresolved. But I don't think the dreams are about your father either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Believe me, I know what the dreams are about.

Not saying there aren't things portmanteaued into it....but I know from the nub.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:31 am
dlowan wrote:
Believe me, I know what the dreams are about.

Not saying there aren't things portmanteaued into it....but I know from the nub.

I do believe you. Fact is, we can all offer opinions and comparisons to our own experiences. But you're the only one who knows what's going on inside of you.

(My arm is around your shoulder, cyberly speaking. Wish I could give you a genuine, in-the-flesh hug.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:03 am
Roberta wrote:

On the bus on our way back from the test she sighed and said, "I have so many nice things and no one to leave them to." She said this to me, her only child. Painful beyond words.

Some people shouldn't have children, but I'm glad she had you, Roberta.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 02:21 am
A lot has been said before, and I agree with most totally.

My problem with my father, when he was alive, was that I've been so similar to him.

My problem with my father, after he died 12 years ago, was that I'd missed all the chances I had got to talk with him.

But fortunately I quite fast accepted that.

I think that everone has her/his personal way(s) of dealing with such and similar.
But not everyone sees these ways.
You, Deb, don't belong to that group.
I'm more than sure that you solve this - on your own and/or with the help of others.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 04:34 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A lot has been said before, and I agree with most totally.

My problem with my father, when he was alive, was that I've been so similar to him.

My problem with my father, after he died 12 years ago, was that I'd missed all the chances I had got to talk with him.

But fortunately I quite fast accepted that.

I think that everone has her/his personal way(s) of dealing with such and similar.
But not everyone sees these ways.
You, Deb, don't belong to that group.
I'm more than sure that you solve this - on your own and/or with the help of others.

I dreamed I was in China last night.....no fathers!

Mame wrote:
Roberta wrote:

On the bus on our way back from the test she sighed and said, "I have so many nice things and no one to leave them to." She said this to me, her only child. Painful beyond words.

Some people shouldn't have children, but I'm glad she had you, Roberta.

What she said.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 10:56 pm
Mame and Deb, I'm glad you're glad. But this thread is about Deb. Posted that tidbit to let her know that I understand--unresolved issues with parents, feeling horrible, and general ookiness.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 11:59 pm
Roberta, I know, but I was sure she wouldn't mind... Very Happy

I sympathize, too, but mainly because it takes us so long to find the tools and the methods with which to deal with what life throws at us. In this case it's her father. We grow up in a culture where we feel obligated to feel a certain way about our families and it takes us a long time, sometimes, to step back and analyze and think in new ways about these old issues and training.

Once you can do that, however, you can deal with anything.

If you step back far enough, you can look at your life like a movie and you're in the audience. Gives you a lot of perspective.
0 Replies