Need advice! I'm married, had an affair, considering divorce

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:06 am
Kerben:

Remember this fact (about feelings of self-worth from career) as he (and you) decide about your futures together. I hope that you work this all out as there a lot of serious future-relationship issues tied into this for both of you (how you both view marriage and relationships as well as your careers).
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
Re: I stand by it
Shawanga wrote:
Yes, I am nowhere near impartial on this subject, but don't all of us bring our pasts with us when we enter here. I can't separate what I feel by why I feel that way. I just know that is how I feel. It has been my experience that once a "cheater always a cheater". I will entertain the possibility that I might be wrong, but I don't feel that I am.

shawanga: this isn't about simple impartiality. My comments are about a serious bitterness. I sincerely wish you well, but think about the advice you offer. Some relationships do survive a cheating incidence, particularly with younger couples.
0 Replies

jazzieB123

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:38 pm
Ragman - you're my hero! Your sage-like advice is very well put and is a pleasure to read.

I agree with your response to "once a cheater, always a cheater. I believe that people CAN change, if they really, really want to.

I cheated many years ago on a wonderful man and sacrificed 6 years with him for 3 weeks of wild, crazy sex with a work colleague. I did it b/c I was bored. I never told my b/f, but I left both men as I needed to look at the reasons why I had done it, so that I would not do it again. The guilt was overwhelming and I knew I was the one who had lost out in the end. It is something I will never do again b/c in hindsight I realised how much I had hurt him (even tho I didn't tell him), myself and others around me. It was selfish and arrogant of me to do what I did and no amount of justification makes it okay. It was a valuable life lesson. btw, the ex-b/f is now married to a wonderful lady and they have a little baby together Smile

Anywa. By leaving both men, I realised what the warning signals were and got to know myself a lot better too when a bit of distance was applied to my situation.

Perhaps going to Iraq will provide a little perspective and distance to this situation also? It is tricky, but some relationships can survive infidelity, especialy (I think) if the unfaithful one is authentically contrite and knows the errors of his or her ways. But obviously, it is also something which can crush a marriage.

Kerben, how do you feel about the possibility of telling your partner about it?

- jazz
0 Replies