Buger King, Tomatoes and Modern day slavery.

Advocate

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:32 pm
I wager that the migrant workers are overwhelmingly illegal aliens, and brown wants to make sure that they are well paid and well treated. Instead, they should be expelled as quickly as possible.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:58 pm
Advocate wrote:
I wager that the migrant workers are overwhelmingly illegal aliens, and brown wants to make sure that they are well paid and well treated. Instead, they should be expelled as quickly as possible.

And shot on site if they return.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 07:17 pm
flaja wrote:
Advocate wrote:

And shot on site if they return.

Lynching would be more appropriate, don't ya think Advocate?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 10:45 pm
brown, you have tremendous affection and concern regarding illegals. Are you undocumented?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 08:06 am
Advocate,

You keep asking if I am an illegal person and I keep answering you (even though the question is both inappropriate and offensive).

I am a American citizen born and raised. I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary war and the last of my ancestors came in the early 1900s (when the only immigration laws were to keep Chinese people out).

But where my affections lie isn't as important as where your affections lie.

This is a story of slaveowner and slave.

The system exploits people for your benefit. They working unbearably hard in difficult conditions so you can have cheap tomatoes-- tomatoes that you are unwilling to see raised in price even one penny.

But your hatred for these people is so great, that you don't even think they should be paid. You have shown absolutely no concern for their -- or the fact that money is being stolen from them, or whether they can even make a living.

The amazing thing is that you have no anger for the people who run this exploitative system. You have spent what-- two words talking about what should happen to the slave owners while insisting that the slaves should have their full punishment.

You don't even seem to think the slaves should be recompensated for the work they have done to bring you your cheap tomatoes.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:19 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Advocate,

You keep asking if I am an illegal person and I keep answering you (even though the question is both inappropriate and offensive).

I am a American citizen born and raised. I have ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary war and the last of my ancestors came in the early 1900s (when the only immigration laws were to keep Chinese people out).

But where my affections lie isn't as important as where your affections lie.

This is a story of slaveowner and slave.

The system exploits people for your benefit. They working unbearably hard in difficult conditions so you can have cheap tomatoes-- tomatoes that you are unwilling to see raised in price even one penny.

But your hatred for these people is so great, that you don't even think they should be paid. You have shown absolutely no concern for their -- or the fact that money is being stolen from them, or whether they can even make a living.

The amazing thing is that you have no anger for the people who run this exploitative system. You have spent what-- two words talking about what should happen to the slave owners while insisting that the slaves should have their full punishment.

You don't even seem to think the slaves should be recompensated for the work they have done to bring you your cheap tomatoes.

Gee, what a big liar you are. I have never read you saying that you are a citizen. I have never expressed, or feel, hatred for illegals on an individual basis. They are humans like us all, some good, some bad. However, I dislike the fact that they break into our country, jumping ahead of immigrants seeking legal admission, take jobs from citizens, etc. I have never said I am opposed to paying more for produce, etc. I have never expressed affection for the exploitive employers, but recognize that they get locked into the system. So, please stop the lying. Also, where is your affection for the citizens who are damaged by the illegals? I guess there is none. You have no valid arguments in favor of the illegals, so you persistently make personal attacks on those on the other side.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:25 am
Quote:

I have never expressed affection for the exploitive employers, but recognize that they get locked into the system

This is so rich! You have no compassion for workers who are living in poverty and trying to earn a living for their families.

Yet these poor "exploitative employers" who are making decent profits off of the misfortune of migrant workers resorting even to slavery to get more money...

"Oh", you say explaining away abuse and robbery of fellow human beings you and they agree have no rights... "I recognize [the poor exploitative employers] are locked in the system".

These are twisted priorities.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Yet these poor "exploitative employers" who are making decent profits off of the misfortune of migrant workers resorting even to slavery to get more money...

Can you give us documentation for the profit margin a produce grower has on what he produces? I would venture that it isn't much in comparison to what the food wholesaler and the food retailer make.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 02:56 pm
There is speculation that the victims of the SF tiger were illegals. Hmm, could this lead to a means of effectively guarding the borders.

brown, have no fear, many replacements are already on their way.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 05:53 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Finn,

You are missing the point.

There are two sides to illegal immigration. There are the illegal people themselves-- who in general are poor families who weren't born with the privileges you were born with. On the other side are wealthy companies profiting from exploiting the misfortune of others and well-off Americans who want the cheapest of everything.

Conservatives... when they see the wealthy exploiting and mistreating the vulnerable-- seem to think that attacking the vulnerable is a solution to the problem.

This is nothing less than perverse.

There are two separate issues on the immigration debate... there is the question of whether more workers are needed, and many people disagree with this.

But for God's sake... if Americans and American companies are going to be benefiting from the hard work of people in the fields... it is sick to not be willing to pay for it.

The penny a pound raise for these workers is important... and it is enforceable. It is easy to account for (in fact the industry mandates wages to the point that it will fine farmers who pay any more than the going rate). So saying that it won't get to the workers is simply incorrect (as workers and their advocates know what they are being paid).

You want it both ways.... you obviously want low prices... and will even whine about one penny.

You will coddle the Americans for hiring people desperate enough to work in these conditions. How many executives in these industries face any jail time (compared to their employees who are jailed, separated from their families, deported with long bars from reentering the country).

The system is designed to make sure there are workers who are kept vulnerable.

You keep attacking the immigrants... the companies know they will always be able to bring more in-- and as long as people like you insist that their workers have no rights, these bastards (with your support) will keep making obscene profits exploiting them.

I haven't missed your point. I've responded to it.

Your new point that I am attacking anyone (other than perhaps you) is absurd, as is another of your new points that I am coddling the exploiters of illegal alien workers. Please try and read all that I write before you fire off a salvo, or cherry pick a phrase you feel you can handle.

Let me try one last time to make my points clear to you:

Employers should not be allowed to exploit any workers, and certainly not imprison and beat them. All the laws we need to prohibit these practices are in place. I am all for enforcing them. However there is no law, nor should there be that require Burger King to pay an extra penny a pound than the market price for tomatoes.

The workers most severely abused (and your link documents very very few) are, undoubtedly, illegal aliens. The vile miscreants who have abused them, did so because they were illegal and thus vulnerable. The answer you arrive at it to wave a wand and make illegals legal so they are not vulnerable. The answer I have arrived at is that we should not allow illegal aliens to enter or remain in our country. Either way the problem of abuse is solved. Your way, however leads to a lot more problems for America. My way leads to other problems for the illegals---not as bad as the abuse, but problems none the less. Since these problems all tie to the problem that they cannot ILLEGALLY remain in the US, I am not persuaded to reconsider. I am reconciled to, and to some extent OK with, the fact that some portion of my hard earned (irrespective of your Liberal assumptions, it is hard earned) riches will be redirected to the less "fortunate." (If I believed that my money went only to the truly less fortunate, rather than the less willing to work hard, I would be content with my current contribution and willing to consider even more)

HOWEVER...I am only OK with it to the extent it supports my fellow US citizens, not people who break the laws of my country and try to claim some sanctimonious right to my largess.

I sympathize with their plights but we cannot feed all the world's hungry, nor can we employ all the world's unemployed. Oh wait, I suppose we could...for a little while at least, and then we would find ourselves begging for some other nation's alms.

I do want low prices, and so do you --- don't try and convince anyone that you have no care for managing your own wealth. I do not want low prices at any cost and your suggestion that I do is not only calumny, but willfully ignorant of what I have written. I fully understand that if we sent every illegal alien back home tomorrow, the cost of many of the products I consume will rise. I'm OK with this not only on principle but because I prefer having the choice to buy or not buy expensive products versus spending even more of my hard earned money through taxes that offer me no choice.

So much else to refute; so little time.

You glibly assume that I have had more privledges than illegal immigrants. You know nothing about my life and in the true sense of a bigot assume that because I do not agree with your sentiments, I must be some privaledged WASP in an ivory tower. I readily admit that I have had one powerful advantage over the illegals---I was born an American. This is not, however, an advantage that overwhelms my rationality. Everyone cannot become an American on their personal say-so without thoroughly diminishing what it means to be American.

Your definition of conservatives is at best specious, and at worst hysterically intolerant

Finally (yesn there is an end), your insistence that this ridiculous notion of a penny more per pound will flow to the abused workers is not only demonstrative of ignorance, but it is highly ironic.

In true Liberal fashion, you, apparently, would put into place a branch of the government to see, through enforcement, that the extra penny goes to the poor illegals. (Fair to say this is the way that might have any chance of working). And so you would not only make me pay more for my Whopper, you will take more of my money in taxes.

The irony is that you are a lion about enforcing a law we don't have, and a lamb about enforcing those we do have.

You seem to be a big hearted fellow ebrown, but you and your confreres need to stop trying to make me and mine pay for your generosity.

Render yourself a pauper to help these poor souls and then I will seriously consider your demands. Until then stop trying to salve your hyper-sensitive concious with my hard earned money.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:53 pm
I'd be willing to pay more for my Whopper if BK would use the money to help send the illegals back across the border. Make a commercial with the King driving the bus to Tijuana.

Taco Bell could do the same and revise their slogan to "Make a run back across the border".

McDonalds could have a "But a Big Mac, Send an Illegal Back!" ad.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:57 pm
I have no problem with a minimum wage, and feel that the one we have is inadequate. However, illegals should not be here to receive it. They should be expelled as quickly as possible. Otherwise, more will surely follow.

The illegals are demanding amnesty leading to citizenship. This is tantamount to a burglar breaking into your home and demanding that he be allowed to to become a member of your family.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:42 am
Re: Buger King, Tomatoes and Modern day slavery.
ebrown_p wrote:
This story makes me very upset.

Migrant workers in Florida are being forced to work in sub-human conditions picking tomatoes for almost nothing. There is a wage slavery where the tomato growers charge the workers for everything so as they work to pay off the "debt" they rack up more debt they can never pay.

There is a movement to raise the wages for these tomato and fruit-pickers in Florida-- the goal is to raise the price of tomatoes by 1 cent a pound (I would pay for this gladly) with this money to go to the workers in the field. But the growers association is blocking it by threatening a $10,000 fine for any farmer who pays this. You can't have individuals growers having a little compassion making everyone else look bad, can you?

Burger King gets the evil corporation award by siding with the growers (you don't want 1 cent per pound of tomatoes in your burgers raising the price of your big mac would you?).

But now this.... three of these workers who had been beaten by their employers and had to escape from the locked trailer where they were kept. Got that... beatings, imprisonment, forced labor-- this is nothing less then modern day slavery in the US.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3263500.ece

I think there has been some sort of jump in the progression of logic linking the movement to raise wages of tomato pickers and the enslavement of about a dozen employed to pick the tomatoes. First of all, it seems as though you are saying evil corporate America abuses migrant farmworkers. 3 men were abused and enslaved to pick tomatoes in Florida. Therefore their captors were evil corporate Americans. Did you know that the Navarrettes, who were arrested for harboring illegal aliens and abusing them, are illegal aliens themselves? http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/dec/07/family_accused_enslaving_workers_immokalee_camp/ You can't point to an isolated case of abuse and paint all tomato growers as abusive any more than you could point to that case in NY where those 2 housemaids were enslaved and say that homeowners who employ household help are exploitive... Do remember those 2 ladies? When I first read this article, I thought of this similar, but different one. http://www.newser.com/story/14313.html

Now finally, my "solution" to the dilemma of paying for produce: GROW YOUR OWN. Interrupt the current equilibrium between supply and demand. You already don't eat at BK. That's a good thing, but you need to take it a step fUrther and DON'T BUY THE CROPS PICKED BY MIGRANTS.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 07:14 am
Advocate wrote:
I have no problem with a minimum wage, and feel that the one we have is inadequate.

Florida amended its constitution in 2000 or 2002 to create a state minimum wage that is at least $1 (or $2) over the federal minimum wage and I think it hast to be adjusted every year for inflation. Since this took effect fast food prices in my part of the state have skyrocketed. Florida's gas prices are now among the highest in the nation when we had always had some of the lowest gas prices in the nation before.

Quote:
The illegals are demanding amnesty leading to citizenship. This is tantamount to a burglar breaking into your home and demanding that he be allowed to to become a member of your family.

I used to support amnesty, coupled with trade restrictions and military action on countries that send illegals to the U.S. But after seeing the illegals riot in our streets, I would just as soon have them shot.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:22 am
"Riots in the Streets"... those peaceful marches I brought by kids to that were attended by many American were "riots"?

... and then you advocate "military action" against Mexico?

Right wing Anti-immigrant extremism-- now that's a riot!

((somehow I doubt your claim that you ever had a reasonable position on immigration))
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:44 am
cjhsa wrote:
McDonalds could have a "But a Big Mac, Send an Illegal Back!" ad.

Big Macs for wetbacks? I think I'd rather pay more in taxes.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:46 am
ebrown_p wrote:
"Riots in the Streets"... those peaceful marches

They were illegal gatherings by illegal invaders. What else can they be called but riots?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:49 am
ebrown_p wrote:
"Riots in the Streets"... those peaceful marches I brought by kids to that were attended by many American were "riots"?

((somehow I doubt your claim that you ever had a reasonable position on immigration))

Ignore the traitor. Focus on the real issues - good job flaja.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:17 am
cjhsa wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Ignore the traitor. Focus on the real issues - good job flaja.

The solution to most of our illegal alien problem is to annex the first 3 miles of Mexico and use it as a practice bombing range for the U.S. Air Force and Navy.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 04:04 pm
flaja wrote:
They were illegal gatherings by illegal invaders. What else can they be called but riots?

Demonstrations.

Here, maybe you can notice a difference:

Riot

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/3416/riot01rr2.jpg

Demonstration

http://i16.tinypic.com/82v1k0m.jpg
0 Replies