Mean girls.

Mame

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:38 pm
Msolga - i think i'm going to have to try other books of hers. She can't have this reputation for nothing Smile heh heh... will let you know how it goes Smile

Do you like Carol Shields (I LOVE HER!!!!!)...?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 11:48 pm
Yes, let me know how it goes. (Cat's Eye is my VERY favourite. Bet I've put you off now! Laughing )

I haven't read Carol Shields. Am I missing something here I shouldn't have missed, Mame?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 12:08 am
Yes, she wrote some brilliant books, The Stone Diaries, being one, and....

"In addition to The Stone Diaries and Larry's Party, Shields has written numerous other novels and short-story collections, including: Small Ceremonies (1976); The Box Garden (1977); Happenstance (1980); A Fairly Conventional Woman (1982); Various Miracles (1985); Swann (1987); The Orange Fish (1989); The Republic of Love (1992); and Dressing Up for the Carnival (2001). Shields has published several collections of poetry including Others (1972), Intersect (1974), and Coming to Canada (1992) as well as the plays Departures and Arrivals (1988) and Thirteen Hands (1993). A book of criticism, Susanna Moodie: Voice and Vision was published in 1977.

In 2002, Shields published her final novel, Unless, which achieved both critical acclaim and popular success. It was nominated for many literary prizes including the Booker Prize, the Giller Prize, the Governor General's Literary Award, and the Commonwealth Writers Prize and has been a fixture on the bestseller lists since its publication."

And two more:

The Woman and The Ape, by Peter Hoeg (wonderful!!!)

The White Bone, by Barbara Gowdy

Just trust me and read them and then get back to me. If you don't like them I'll come over there, buy you dinner and drinks! I mean it Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 05:34 am
Mame wrote:
Just trust me and read them and then get back to me. If you don't like them I'll come over there, buy you dinner and drinks! I mean it Smile

You're on! It's a deal!Very Happy

Well you've certainly made me curious, Mame!

I'm going to do a bit of a search & see what I can find.

But what I'm confused about is this:

And two more:

The Woman and The Ape, by Peter Hoeg (wonderful!!!)

The White Bone, by Barbara Gowdy

These books don't appear to be written by Carol Shields .... I'm a little confused as to why they've been included in your list. Or have I misread your post? Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:18 am
Leaka wrote:

Also you don't know people very much. I think you would be a better mother. A lot of what I have experienced from my sisters is that my parents we never concerned about her.
They said she did it to herself. Just be lucky your daughter is popular.

Oh that's healthy. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:21 am
What Leaka doesn't know is that you can't reason with teen age girls.

You can't say "it will pass" or "ignore them". It doesn't make sense to a teenage girl.

My niece is very very tall. She is 16 and she gets called giraffe and all sorts of stupid things. She is beautiful and smart and I know that the other girls are jealous but try and tell that to her. She doesn't understand that in a few years, she'll look back and laugh because men love a long legged, smart, funny, beautiful woman.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:32 pm
I think girls--starting as preteens--practice being judgemental as a part of learning to maintain a civilized society when they are adults. The examination of others can turn into pure meanness--but it can also teach skills of analysis.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 06:35 pm
oh my god, thats so adorable! i hate reading this forum, makes me want a lil O.G. Jr. may god have mercy on this planet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 04:28 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I think girls--starting as preteens--practice being judgemental as a part of learning to maintain a civilized society when they are adults. The examination of others can turn into pure meanness--but it can also teach skills of analysis.

That's an interesting perspective, Noddy.

I think you're onto something there!

Tell you what though, it can be a helluva challenge at times, experiencing large numbers of adolescent girls going through this at the one time! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:31 am
Msolga--

Unfortunately the little darlings lack worldly sophistication--or perhaps their umvelts are stuck in The Local Village.

Still, girls are easier on the furniture. Even when liberated and athletic, they weigh less than the boys do.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 09:56 am
Yikes, I want to give a little update on the friend stories. Of my daughters two best friends, one I really like, the other I have a little distrust for.

The two friends decided to get their noses pierced. My daughter was bummed because they were doing something that was exciting and not including her. Because she didn't have my permission to get her nose pierced. Let me say that she was moping and being over dramatic because she was PMSing.

C had her mothers permission but L did not. The two went down the street to a boys house who googled the technique and peirced their noses. L went behind her mothers back and did it anyway.

This kids worries me.(Gray hairs strating to sprout)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:01 am
Marty--

Your daughter is lucky to have a Mean Mommie.

Keep us posted on the generational conflict at L's house. I'm partial to horror stories.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:26 am
I was driving my daughter and the girl who had her mom's permission, and I said"With C as my witness, don't think that doing something behind my back will fly very well with us" and C said "Don't worry, J isn't that kind of kid"

Whew!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:28 am
It's not that I'm completely opposed to nose studs. I just want her to give a lot of thought to changing the appearance of her face. Plus she's a minor, when she turns 18 I'm sure things will be a little different.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
Facial hardware limits the range of part-time jobs that are available.
0 Replies