Other Food

Leaka

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 07:05 pm
I eat a lot of Greek Food. Since well I'm Greek. I wanted to know if there were any other choices of food I should try.
Actually I'm frighten to cook anything else because the only thing I know how to make is Greek food.
Nothing to salty. And not to many dishes with meat. I'm not a big meat eater. I will eat it, but I don't like it.
(And no my family was never the traditional Greek where we make your organs stone with a lot of salt.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,879 • Replies: 84
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:57 am
Many "Greek foods" originated in Turkey (prior to ethnic cleansing) which was a crossroads of European and Middle Eastern cultures. You are therefore likely appreciate dishes from any country in the Eastern Mediterranean.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:41 am
One very easy (and not too salty, but very versatile) thing to make is pasta. Just get a box from the grocery store and follow directions. You can put butter or cheese or tomato sauce on it, or meatballs, that kind of thing. It's simple and very easy -- a real staple in a lot of homes even if no one in the home is Italian. Pasta is also very forgiving in terms of not having to follow a specific recipe to the letter, and it's cheap so, if you mess it up, you can throw it out without the guilt that could come along with throwing out a much more expensive food.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:48 am
One of my favorite pasta dishes is tossed with chopped tomatoes, basil and french(!) feta. French feta is much less salty than Greek feta. Another easy pasta is to toss it with pesto and fresh basil or spinach leaves.

If the above food is too close to home for you, try egg omelets or scrambled eggs. Beat some eggs and add whatever fresh ingredients you have in with some cheese. Then pour into a heated pan greased with olive oil or butter.
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:06 pm
littlek wrote:

If the above food is too close to home for you, try egg omelets or scrambled eggs. Beat some eggs and add whatever fresh ingredients you have in with some cheese. Then pour into a heated pan greased with olive oil or butter.

Its sounds good until you get to the end. Olive oil or butter to grease the pan. Ugh that makes me shiver so gross. Slimy and ugh.
Thank you though.
I won't grease the pan with olive oil or butter.

Thank you for all the advice. I feel really embarrassed and almost like a dunce for saying I've been in America for 2 years now and I have not had any American food.

I'm afraid to cook anything American. Just like what I said up top.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:13 pm
You never eat olive oil?
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:19 pm
What does that mean?

I'm confused now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:25 pm
Leaka--

Without adding some grease to the pan the food will stick. Littlek is talking about a very, very thin coat of butter or oil--enought for a slight flavor, but not an overwhelming fatty intrusion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:35 pm
Leaka, as said above, you'll need some type of fat to keep the food from sticking. Unless you have a very new teflon pan.
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Oh I'm sorry.
I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Can't you use Pam or something. My friend uses Pam and has non stick pans.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:41 pm
sure, Pam is a greasing agent.
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
Cause my friend told me that even if you cook it in a small amount of butter or olive oil you can still taste the butter and the oil on the egg.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:49 pm
This is true. Most people like that taste! Laughing
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:57 pm
Well my friend told me it wasn't very good tasting that way. So I didn't know. But the thought of butter on my eggs is kinda scary.
They are something that I don't going hand in hand.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:00 pm
The Greek practically bathe in olive oil, how can you not use it? Shocked
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:10 pm
lol!

I bathe in Olive oil. But my family has always been a family who has concerns with healthy living. We don't use a lot of olive oil, instead used sparingly.

See my family generation was concerned with health because my grandfather died because he died my family the on I was raised in became concerned with health. He died because his organs turned into stone from to much salt.
My family loves salt, but we use very little of that as well now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:19 pm
If you prefer the taste of the oils in Pam to butter or olive oil, then you can certainly use the Pam.

Alternatively, you can put a small amount of chicken broth in the pan and poach/baste the eggs in that. You do need to pay more attention to the eggs while you're doing that.
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:28 pm
The chicken base sounds good.
I like chicken flavor. Actually I love anything that is chicken.
I love watching food cook as well.

I'm going to have to try that ehBeth. Thank you for the idea.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:35 pm
Leaka wrote:
lol!

I bathe in Olive oil. But my family has always been a family who has concerns with healthy living. We don't use a lot of olive oil, instead used sparingly.

See my family generation was concerned with health because my grandfather died because he died my family the on I was raised in became concerned with health. He died because his organs turned into stone from to much salt.
My family loves salt, but we use very little of that as well now.

Well, then continue cooking Greek food. It's so much healthier than
American food - most of it anyways. Very Happy

By the way, PAM oil must have some sort of emulsifier and alcohol in
it, otherwise the spray nozzle would clog up. For me, a dash of olive
oil sounds by far healthier.
0 Replies

Leaka

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:40 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Well, then continue cooking Greek food. It's so much healthier than
American food - most of it anyways. Very Happy

By the way, PAM oil must have some sort of emulsifier and alcohol in
it, otherwise the spray nozzle would clog up. For me, a dash of olive
oil sounds by far healthier.

I see.
Yes well I wanted to see other things I could eat. Eating by myself family recipes really brings back a lot of memories of my family back in Greece and it can become very lonely feeling.

Actually I want to spruce on my cooking because well....
0 Replies