meaniing of sentence

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 10:44 am
When I was in big trouble, she did turn a blind eye to me. She really sucks!

What does the sentence mean?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 536 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
It's not good English.

to turn a blind eye = to purposely ignore something

something which "sucks" is something deplorable.

The phrase "she turned a blind eye to me" is incorrect usage.

It should used in a sentence something like "People turned a blind eye to Tom's bad behaviour".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 10:56 am
The sentence is rather odd in the emphasis one would assume in speaking it aloud. It is not, however, incorrect. "To turn a blind eye" means to willfully ignore something, and usually implies ignoring unacceptable behavior.

If this was alleged to have been written by a native speaker of English, it's a bad job. The phrase ". . . she did turn a blind eye to me" is awkward and does not sound like something a native English-speaker would say, unless his or her ability to articulate was poor (the use of "did," in fact, reminds me of native speakers of German when they speak English). Normally, one turns a blind eye to something, not someone, and the something toward which turns a blind eye is a form of behavior, or an activity.

In the context of "When i was in trouble," saying that "she sucks" because she turned a blind eye makes no sense at all. If one wanted to express what appears to be the idea of the writer, while using an idiomatic expression, one might write: When I was in trouble, she left me hanging. She sucks.

Where did you find this sentence?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:00 am
Thanks, Mc Tag and Setanta.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 07:50 am
"When I was in big trouble, she did turn a blind eye to me. She really sucks!"

When I was in trouble, she turned a blind eye.
Meaning - when I needed her, she ignored me.

She really sucks!

Most people would say That sucks!
Meaning - that situation (when someone ignores another person in need) is awful.

This is all informal, slang American English, commonly heard in teenage conversation.

(Although "she dissed me" would be used instead of "she turned a blind eye.")
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 08:07 am
The idiom "turn a blind eye" has a historical origin. In 1801, during the battle between the British and Danish navies off Copenhagen, the British commander, Admiral Parker, sent a flag signal to his subordinate, Admiral Nelson, to break off the action and retreat. Nelson had sight in only one eye, having lost the sight of other in battle seven years previously. He, unlike Parker, was sure he could win the battle, so he put his telescope to his blind eye, said "I really do not see the signal" (as we might put it today: "Signal? What signal?"), and proceeded to ignore the order and defeat the Danes. This incident is still very famous in the UK and is what we tend to think of when we speak of "turning a blind eye" to something.
0 Replies