Roger Clemens to Be Named in Mitchell Report

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:52 pm
was surprised to see donnelly on the list.
ironic that his long-time nemesis guillen was also named.

len dykstra was obvious -- he really bulked up one winter...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:19 pm
Chuck Knoblauch? I wouldn't have guessed that one.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
I don't see how any of the names would be surprising. There's many more...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:44 pm
Snappy, I think youve got smarter since your woman split.

What's the scoop, more blood on the brain?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 07:55 pm
This is just an initial list and is not complete: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/13/steroid.report.names/index.html

Quote:
Rick Ankiel
Marvin Benard
Larry Bigbie
Barry Bonds
Kevin Brown
Paul Byrd
Roger Clemens
Jose Canseco
Jack Cust
Brendan Donnelly
Lenny Dykstra
Eric Gagne
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Glenallen Hill
Todd Hundley
David Justice
Chuck Knoblauch
Tim Laker
Paul Lo Duca
Gary Matthews Jr
Kent Mercker
Hal Morris
Denny Neagle
Andy Pettitte
Brian Roberts
John Rocker
Benito Santiago
Scott Schoeneweis
David Segui
Gary Sheffield
Mike Stanton
Miguel Tejada
Mo Vaughn
Randy Velarde
Rondell White
Matt Williams
Gregg Zaun
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:03 pm
Ok, now watch trades and moves or discussed moves over the last two years.....

Too many names for someone in management at home not to know something...

This whole thing stinks of inside crap......

and this is the tip.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:18 pm
So, when do they go after the NFL?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 08:48 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
So, when do they go after the NFL?

The NFL has a testing system in place. Even though it's a joke, they've had it for a while, unlike MLB. So I think they've got their bases covered a little better.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:29 pm
Oh my god... John Rocker???

This could really hurt his career.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:31 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Oh my god... John Rocker???

This could really hurt his career.

Seriously, could that guy be even more of a dipshit?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:26 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Do you think, though, that if enough of our beloved are named, the public will alter its perception of the severity of steroid use and its influence on the game, just to keep a comfortable denial system in place?

Part of that denial was scapegoating Bonds as if he was the whole "steroid problem". It will be interesting to see if the public outcry wanes when some of the idols are named...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:30 pm
Not many big names here...

The following players were connected to steroids, either use or possession, in the report:

Lenny Dykstra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Andy Pettitte
Roger Clemens
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagne
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Exavier "Nook" Logan
Howie Clark
Paxton Crawford
Ken Caminiti
Rafael Palmeiro
Luis Perez
Derrick Turnbow
Ricky Bones
Ricky Stone

The following players were cited under "Alleged Internet Purchases of Performance Enhancing Substances By Players in Major League Baseball."

Rick Ankiel
David Bell
Paul Byrd
Jose Canseco
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jason Grimsley
Jose Guillen
Darren Holmes
Gary Matthews Jr.
John Rocker
Scott Schoeneweis
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Steve Woodard

The following players were linked through BALCO:

Benito Santiago
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Estalella
Barry Bonds
Marvin Benard

http://cbs2chicago.com/national/Mitchell.report.baseball.2.609138.html#playerlist
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:42 pm
Hmmm. I'm sick of Bonds, and probably more annoyed that the whole Bonds thing has gone on for what seems like eighty years. A reasonable gripe is that he was picked out, but then again, he had the balls to go for broke, questionably using.

I first watched baseball in 1949, New York, as an eight year old girl and I'd like to be sanctimonious about all that but I suppose even then people did stuff to energize themselves. But, really, not so much. I did watch Mantle and diMaggio and lots of others when young.

I've no interest in all the latest record setting, though I'll say record setting was never my main interest. I just used to like to watch sharp playing by teams. Was it Fox to Aparicio or vice versa? There was the storied Tinkers to Evans to Chance... before my time.

I used to like to watch under 6-foot basketball at the beach. Much more engaging than the tall stuff.

So, what, I think all the building to taller and bulkier and so on - in whichever sport -- has not only brought in cheating and probably future ill health, but has cut out some of the livelier possible games.

It seems to me almost all of sport has moved toward gross instead of finesse. I get that it is more complicated than that, but as a generalization, I still see that to be true. Tennis is a pretty good wallow in that regard.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 12:20 am
Caminiti & Canseco is old news to me, since they admitted using. on the other hand, i didn't suspect Kevin Brown, Justice, or Sheffield. i naively thought it was talent that made them standouts. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 05:06 am
I think you gotta look at anyone who had some sort of massive anger outburst (seemingly for little to no reason) or who seemed to be improving even as his career was on the wane, even if they aren't listed, and wonder whether they're next.

Plus there are going to be more investigations. No doubt players will be looking to clear (heh) their names and some of them may be successful. And then, certainly, others will be linked.

For Clemens, unless he is big-time cleared and it's believable, as opposed to seeming like a technicality, this means he can probably kiss the HOF good-bye.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:20 am
snood wrote:
Part of that denial was scapegoating Bonds as if he was the whole "steroid problem". It will be interesting to see if the public outcry wanes when some of the idols are named...

Snood: Your position on how Bonds has been portrayed concerning alleged steroid use is clear as shown on these threads; however it is not clear (or perhaps I missed it) about whether you believe or not if Bonds actually used steroids or any other enhancing (illegal) drug during his pro-career. What are your thoughts on this?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:07 am
yitwail wrote:
i didn't suspect Kevin Brown.....or Sheffield. i naively thought it was talent that made them standouts. Rolling Eyes

You're kidding, right?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:12 am
jespah wrote:
I think you gotta look at anyone who had some sort of massive anger outburst (seemingly for little to no reason) or who seemed to be improving even as his career was on the wane, even if they aren't listed, and wonder whether they're next.

For Clemens...he can probably kiss the HOF good-bye.

I don't think fingering an athlete because of his temper is a good tactic. Steroids won't turn a calm person into a maniac. There's actually no solid proof of "roid rage." Those who are already prone to being aggressive, then take certain steroids, can definitely experience it...I think the ego that comes with the added strength & bulk is the main culprit.

And I will guarantee my left nut that Clemens gets into the HOF, and he 100% deserves it. He's the most dominating pitcher of modern baseball. What do they have on him? That he may have purchased GH in 2000-2001? He was already in the HOF by then.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:12 am
mcgwire & sosa will head the next list...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 09:13 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
yitwail wrote:
i didn't suspect Kevin Brown.....or Sheffield. i naively thought it was talent that made them standouts. Rolling Eyes

You're kidding, right?

I meant on the part about you not suspecting Brown or Sheffield. I think Brown was already caught anyway.

It is their talent that made them standouts, by the way. Or especially Sheffield.
0 Replies