Roger Clemens to Be Named in Mitchell Report

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:34 am
Well, this sucks.

Though I'd already heard, from former White Sox and Yankees pitcher Jack McDowell, that Roger is kind of a dick, it's still a sad day when your boyhood idols go down.

What exactly "going down" means, I guess, is left for us to discuss. It's quite possible, after quite a bit of initial heat and media attention, this will blow over by spring training. I mean, remember Myanmar? How you cared about all those monks until the media stopped covering the protests?

It's likely there will be other, more definitive threads on this. The best case scenario, I think, is third party drug testing, and a return to that time when raw talent ruled. And even elegance and grace--I'm talking about Willie Mays here--were a part of the game. Mantle, Joey D, Ted Williams--these were my fathers heros. Whereas mine may have to appear before the Senate, um, like, before my anti-heros. That's no good.

Now who's going to slap me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,668 • Replies: 101
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
he's done pitching, isn't he?

if he is named, he can kiss that cooperstown plaque buh-bye...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 09:39 am
Do you think, though, that if enough of our beloved are named, the public will alter its perception of the severity of steroid use and its influence on the game, just to keep a comfortable denial system in place?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:52 am
since testing is now in place, i don't think the results of this report will alter the popularity of the sport...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:55 am
I think that in hindsight, so many will fall under the shadow of this, that the hall will take most of these guys, especially Clemens...

I think this is but the tip of all this.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:19 pm
Maybe they should build a new annex onto the hall of fame just for the juicers. They could name it after Barry Bonds, and it could contain all the juice heads that we still love even though they were juice heads.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:22 pm
would pete rose qualify for this hall of shame?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
Oh good idea. A special gamblers annex as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:27 pm
Yeah, I was just flipping through channels trying to find C-Span 3 (Dem debate at 2) (never found it if I have it) and that came on the screen when I flipped past ESPN. I actually said out loud, "Roger Clemens?"
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:37 pm
An article comparing Clemens and Bonds.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:46 pm
Quote:
The smoking gun comes from Brian McNamee, a former New York Yankees employee who used to work as a personal trainer for Clemens and his buddy Andy Pettitte, who is also cited in the report.

Pettitte too? Are they saying that Pettitte used Steroids too? Maybe that was before he found jesus.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:56 pm
Or maybe Jesus told him to take steroids.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:12 pm
Clemens deserves the Hall, and so does Bonds. Steroids did not define their careers. I would bet both men put up HOF numbers before sticking a needle in their asses.

I've posted this before, but I remember reading a magazine interview with Clemens he stated if he were not a baseball player, he'd be a bodybuilder.

And I'm not going to take it away from Clemens that he works his ass off in the off-season.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 01:45 pm
I just perused the report.

AND BOY AM I GLAD my Milwaukee Brewers just signed Eric Gagne, listed in the report, for ten million!

Doug Melvin rationalized this risky purchase by pointing to Gagne's early career. Awesome.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:34 pm
being a member in good standing of sportsaholics anonymous, today is the first time i heard about the *trials* & tribulations of Clemens & Vick. as far as the Rocket goes, he has as much right for the hall of fame as inductee Gaylord Perry. why nitpick over whether a foreign substance was applied to a baseball or to an athlete? it's enough to me that he gets knocked off his pedestal, and maybe doesn't get to make as many commercials as before.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
Sure, I'm with you about bringing him down a notch as ample punishment, but I agree with Wetzel's arguments in the article I posted. The hardworking John Henry bullshit was so disingenuous. Clemens' arrogance rivals Bonds'.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 04:46 pm
Here you go Garg, an excerpt from I think page 267 of the report on your new overpaid boy:

"When the Boston Red Sox were considering acquiring Gagné, a Red Sox official made specific inquiries about Gagné's possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, "Have you done any digging on Gagne? I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his medical?"425

The scout, Mark Delpiano, responded:

Some digging on Gagne and steroids IS the issue. Has had a checkered medical past throughout career including minor leagues. Lacks the poise and commitment to stay healthy, maintain body and re invent self. What made him a tenacious closer was the max effort plus stuff . . . Mentality without the plus weapons and without steroid help probably creates a large risk in bounce back durability and ability to throw average while allowing the change-up to play as it once did . . . Personally, durability (or lack of) will follow Gagne . . .426"
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Here you go Garg, an excerpt from I think page 267 of the report on your new overpaid boy:

"When the Boston Red Sox were considering acquiring Gagné, a Red Sox official made specific inquiries about Gagné's possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, "Have you done any digging on Gagne? I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his medical?"425

The scout, Mark Delpiano, responded:

Some digging on Gagne and steroids IS the issue. Has had a checkered medical past throughout career including minor leagues. Lacks the poise and commitment to stay healthy, maintain body and re invent self. What made him a tenacious closer was the max effort plus stuff . . . Mentality without the plus weapons and without steroid help probably creates a large risk in bounce back durability and ability to throw average while allowing the change-up to play as it once did . . . Personally, durability (or lack of) will follow Gagne . . .426"

That sounds a lot like this other guy I know, goes by the name of Derrick Turnbow, the Brewers volatile set up man. ALSO LISTED IN THE REPORT.

Sweet. As if rooting for the Crew at Wrigley wasn't hard enough. Now every time we have the lead going into the 8th, there'll be a Bonds-style riot.

As if overrated closers need more pressure. This is serious trouble for the Brewers, who have gone above and beyond to change the face of their entire relief staff this month. And it was the closing pitchers we thought we could count on...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:12 pm
At least Wrigley seems like a kick-ass place to watch a game.

I still got to get out there.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:17 pm
It's well worth the trip, slap.
0 Replies