Year end Reviews/Bonus

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:24 am
So I am in the process of handing out bonuses and reviews. I have one excellent to give, three good ones and then one bad one. Not only do I have to give a bad review, but I have to deliver a message that this individual will not be getting a bonus. Quite honestly he does not deserve it. His work is sub-par. What makes this so difficult is this person seems to be generally a nice person. He just either doesn't do the work or isn't capable of doing it. I've had these discussions with him before so hopefully he will not be completely surprised. I also know through conversations that he could certainly use the money. Any thoughts on how best to deliver? I will be meeting with him this afternoon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,994 • Replies: 27
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:17 am
Directly. After doing the review, discuss the bonus. Say something like "I believe you get what you pay for. If I pay for bad performance, I'll get more bad performance". Alternatively, give everyone a bonus, meaning Mr. Troublemaker is no longer employed.

I recall a bankruptcy in process from a prior thread. Are you sure you should be giving bonuses at all?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:30 am
roger wrote:
Directly. After doing the review, discuss the bonus. Say something like "I believe you get what you pay for. If I pay for bad performance, I'll get more bad performance". Alternatively, give everyone a bonus, meaning Mr. Troublemaker is no longer employed.

I recall a bankruptcy in process from a prior thread. Are you sure you should be giving bonuses at all?

That's my husband's business. I work for a large company. These are bonuses being paid by the company. I am the manager so I deliver the reviews/bonus and give recommendations for the bonuses.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:31 am
...while you still have a job here--for the present--you haven't qualified for a bonus.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:16 pm
Oh man, tough. Even though I do not feel this particular person is doing a good job (or even an o-k job), it was tough. I went over the review first and then when I got to toward the end with the "no bonus" part, I saw his face fall. He talked about having kids and Christmas coming, he talked about how he is a nice guy, he talked about me having a heart and being human, stuff like that. But we all know I am a hard a$$.

Any how, I tried to point out where I felt he fell short and how I took this very seriously. I follow the company policy and guidelines and pretty much this is where he fell. He went on to talk about utopia and how if the department does well (even if he falls short), he should still benefit. Then he went on about how this surprises him. That did make me a bit angry as I made it clear before that he wasn't meeting expectations. I did tell him that and I told him I made it clear and used those exact words that he wasn't meeting expectations prior.

I told him to go ahead and take the rest of the day off if he felt he needed it, but I also made it clear that according to the company's guidelines, I stand by the rating and decision.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
Linkat wrote:
then when I got to toward the end with the "no bonus" part, I saw his face fall. He talked about having kids and Christmas coming, he talked about how he is a nice guy, he talked about me having a heart and being human, stuff like that. But we all know I am a hard a$$.

he expected a bonus after doing a crappy job all year?
he's got a lot to learn about the business world...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:23 pm
Linkat--

How nice. He doesn't meet expectations, but you're guilty--and you personally ruined his kids' Christmas.

I think I'd rather deal with the Unstable Hulk who throws temper tantrums.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:29 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Linkat--

How nice. He doesn't meet expectations, but you're guilty--and you personally ruined his kids' Christmas.

I think I'd rather deal with the Unstable Hulk who throws temper tantrums.

Hold your dominion.

The unstable Hulk was actually quite nice to me at his bonus review. He got about the same as last year. I think he was appreciative that I didn't mention his outburst or his general bully type of attitude - to me that isn't going to change especially as he told me so. I gave him constructive feedback about how he can improve his work performance. He agreed with my statements and told me how much he appreciated the time and effort I gave on his review. He also sent me an email later on thanking me with the same sort of tone.

This other guy also mentioned something of some one commenting suicide or something along those lines - then started on some tangent about a boat at sea and how we all should be rowing together and some other nonsense I couldn't even follow.

I concluded that it is apparent that he does not agree on what we expect a person at his level and experience should be accomplishing. I stand by what the company gives as policy and if he doesn't agree that is fine, as he does have the option to leave if he does not like the company's values/policies.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 02:35 pm
He sounds like a complete idiot. Not willing to accept how he's not doing his job and what it will take to improve.

That's all your fault. The company should just double his salary, because he's a nice guy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 03:13 pm
What do you think the chances are that he is unstable? I always worry about these sorts of individuals snapping and then showing up with some heavy artillery.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 03:28 pm
He did say he wanted to talk with some one else about the situation. I suggested he talk with my boss. I did forewarn her of course. I suggested he send her an email asking when she would be available - knowing she would not appreciate having him just walk in her office. And also knowing that today is an extremely busy day.

So he emails her saying he would prefer to meet today - what the heck does he think it is almost the end of the day - well he wants to meet today because he hasn't felt well since the review.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 11:45 am
Linkat--

This Flower Child needs repotting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:01 pm
What a manipulative and and and.... something guy.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:08 pm
when i was still in paid employment Laughing , reviews were always in written form .
i would prepare a written review for every one in my department annually . i would set aside time for everyone for a one-on-one review . if someone disagreed , she/he would write the comments right on the review form .
together we would agree on what , if any , improvements were needed and how they might be achieved . we would both sign the form and we would agree on a follow-up interview if needed .
everyone had the right to see my boss about the the review , if they didn't agree - never had it happen once in almost thirty years as a supervisor/manager .
that way , surprises were kept to a minimum .
imo setting achievable targets and following up are important parts of a review for staff that need to improve their performance .
btw. my boss had to follow the same process with me - and on occasion i would ask for a follow-up interview to make sure i would not have a surprise at year-end . it would also allow me to remind him of any promises he might have made :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 01:25 pm
The funny thing is hamburger - this individual does not disagree with the review itself or areas where he needs to improve. He even said that he agreed he needs improvement, but he feels he is still entitled to a bonus. The only thing he disagrees about is not getting any bonus. This review also provides space for the employee to write in his comments. In addition, I told him if he found something in the review that he did not agree with or he felt was incorrect, that I would be willing to discuss and make changes as necessary and let him know about the employee comment section.

I also meet one-on-one with my direct reports monthly so there are no surprises as you said. This particular individual because he is struggling, I actually meet every other week with him to discuss his progress or lack thereof. Again there should be no surprises especially since I have used the exact words of "you are not meeting expectations". Not sure how I can make it any more clear.

Not sure exactly how everything went with my boss, but I am guessing not the way this employee would have liked. She sent an email to me and her boss stating she gave him the HR number contact and our employee assistance number (the company that will provide counseling).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 05:30 pm
seems that the employee is just not up to the job . better be honest with this person and tell him that it is just not the right job . it would probably be better - particularly for a younger person - to choose a different job or go to college for more training .
perhaps the HR department has to step in and make sure things are done "according to the rules" to try and avoid possible problems .
i guess "separations" have to be done very carefully these days , don't they ?
this is a tough thing to do , particularly at this time of the year . would the person be better qualified for some other job within the company ?
good luck in handling this "hot potatoe" - it's never easy to deal with it , but even more difficult these days , i'm sure .
hbg

ps reminds me of watching judge judy on occasion ( Shocked ) . some people admit that their actions are wrong , but still refuse to take reaponsibility for them . others , of course , never even want to admit to having things done wrong . they keep repeating that they are INNOCENT !!! and that it is the other party that is at fault .
living in canada's "prison capital" we often hear the accused say in court "we was framed" , when the trial is reported in the newspaper - it's a bit of a local joke .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 07:15 pm
Oh man. I feel for you, Linkat. I came to hate the whole concept of Christmastime bonus and switched to a mid-year bonus instead. Not having it tied to holidays eased the guilt factor tenfold. Today, especially after reading your post, I'm thankful that I no longer have employees to deal with.

Mr. B had to fire someone the other day after they failed a drug test. The guy went nuts with the whole Christmas thing. Mr. B was so freaked out by it that the gun came out of the safe for the first time ever. People get nutty. Please be careful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:07 am
Linkat--

His mother told him that he was perfect. His mother thinks he should have a Holiday Bonus.

His mother is probably more irrational than your mother.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:22 am
Hamburger - I think you may have read my mind. I have been upfront and had almost the same conversation with this person several times. I came right out and asked if he liked the job - I came out and said this may not be the job for you. He mentioned in this last review how hard he works and how many hours. I told him I agree and he can see this written clearly in the review. But especially considering how hard and how many hours he is working and still struggling it is a concern that this may not be his talent or the right job for him. It doesn't mean you are not smart or have other talents -it just means this isn't right for you. He even voiced to me he agreed this isn't something he loves (or likes for that matter).

I think it is the potential firing thing that is difficult - companies do not want to fire some one - they worry about potential lawsuits. That is one reason why I am so careful to be clear about his performance all along. We (me, my boss, my boss's boss) have talked with HR to make sure we handle things correctly and professionally to avoid any issues. One thing I have been trying to do is what is referred to as managing a person out - trying to help him get another job that is better suited. One thing is it is unlikely he will get another job in the company as he has a "not meeting expectations" rating.

Thanks Boomerang - it seems like a long shot that someone would become violent due to this, but you never know for sure. Although he seems passive, it has crossed my mind that he could go postal.

Just wait Noddy - I am adding to my "mother" thread of an incident. But one thing is he is not originally from the US so he could also have a difference in cultural opinion - the "we are all in this together" sort of mentality even though I explained to him we are actually in a competitive industry/group.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:07 am
Linkat--

Your mother has her flaws and faults--but she raised a functioning adult. Your underling's mother did not.
0 Replies