Mike Huckabee

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:58 pm
Advocate wrote:
I love your term "nuttitude." May I have it? I would put Reagan at or near the top. Contacts, who were nonpartisan, said he was senile and completely removed from reality. He was scripted and controlled during his entire time in office. I could give you many supportive examples . Otherwise, I go along with your list.

Of course you may have the word.

I knew putting Reagan where I did would be a cause for protest-- but, I think it's because was kind of dopey in real life. He was frightening as a president, no doubt-- but next to Agnew, Nixon, at least he had some manners.

Huckabee still looks like Charlie Mcarthy to me. I am devastated no one really cares about the "separated at birth" aspect of this phenomenon.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:02 pm
Gala wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I love your term "nuttitude." May I have it? I would put Reagan at or near the top. Contacts, who were nonpartisan, said he was senile and completely removed from reality. He was scripted and controlled during his entire time in office. I could give you many supportive examples . Otherwise, I go along with your list.

Of course you may have the word.

I knew putting Reagan where I did would be a cause for protest-- but, I think it's because was kind of dopey in real life. He was frightening as a president, no doubt-- but next to Agnew, Nixon, at least he had some manners.

Huckabee still looks like Charlie Mcarthy to me. I am devastated no one really cares about the "separated at birth" aspect of this phenomenon.

Accepting that Huck is Charlie McCarthy, then who is the Edgar Bergen?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:16 pm
au1929 wrote:
Are you aware that you are talking about a republican saint :wink:

This still amazes me-- people get misty over him.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:41 pm
Advocate wrote:
FD, could you please elaborate on how Huck is progressive relative to the other Rep candidates. I haven't seen this. As you probably know, he doesn't believe in evolution.

Has he signed any legislation, or even proposed any legislation, forbidding the teaching of evolution?
Not that I know of, so that example of him not believing in evolution doesnt work.
I dont see how his personal belief about evolution has spilled over into his public or political life.

BTW, where has he ever said he didnt believe in evolution?
I havent heard that about him.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 01:44 pm
Advocate wrote:
FD, could you please elaborate on how Huck is progressive relative to the other Rep candidates. I haven't seen this. As you probably know, he doesn't believe in evolution.

I'm specifically speaking with regard to the environment and energy, but also on immigration and crime and punishment. I don't know if he is more or less conservative than other Rep candidates, but he's certainly more progressive than the current administration, and he's one of the few who bothered to show up for the civil rights debate. He's the only one I've heard say that we need more drug treatment and less jailing of addicts as opposed to the usual "lock them away and throw away the key" kinds of rhetoric you get.

I don't know enough about him to say his the most progressive Republican or even very progressive, but he's certainly unusual.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:02 pm
mysteryman wrote:

BTW, where has he ever said he didnt believe in evolution?
I havent heard that about him.

Quote:
By PEGGY HARRIS Associated Press Writer
LITTLE ROCK May 4, 2007 (AP)

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee on Friday sought to explain why he doesn't believe in evolution, saying he is not opposed to teaching Darwin's theory.

Huckabee was one of three GOP candidates who raised their hand during Thursday's debate when asked if they don't believe in evolution the development of organisms and species from a primitive state.

The other candidates were Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado.

Huckabee said if given a chance to elaborate on the question from MSNBC moderator Chris Matthews, he would have responded: "If you want to believe that you and your family came from apes, I'll accept that....I believe there was a creative process."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=3140255
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:08 pm
thanks, I hadnt heard that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
The stuff after what I quoted in the article mitigates things somewhat -- he wouldn't be against having evolution taught in schools, he doesn't expect creationism to be taught, etc.

That's far from the only thing that worries me about him, though.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:19 pm
Advocate wrote:
But Kennedy was not a priest. Huck is a Baptist minister, who has never backed away from his radical beliefs.

He believes in the rapture. Under this belief, those saved would be lifted to heaven just before the imminent destruction of earth. Thus, why should Huck have any interest in making long-term improvements to the country?

The Huckabee holy roller view is simply too narrow. I heard him say something on the radio today (paraphrasing) "Let us not hate those who are ahead of us, let us love those who are behind us."

Sanctimonious stuff.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 07:03 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm specifically speaking with regard to the environment and energy, but also on immigration and crime and punishment. I don't know if he is more or less conservative than other Rep candidates, but he's certainly more progressive than the current administration

Eh - not on immigration he isnt. (Not that the current administration was particularly conservative on immigration anyhow; being anti-immigration doesnt mesh with being pro-big business.)

As Governor, Huckabee was indeed quite humane on some immigration-related issues; allowing the children of illegal immigrants to go to school, or receive scholarships like the other children, or what was it, for example.

Then in some of the early presidential debates, he still seemed to spoke up for them with compassion ("they too are the children of God", or something like that).

But the moment he started getting **** for that from the conservatives, he turned around. Drastically. In true Huckabee fashion, he quickly mixed up a whole new immigration platform on the fly, in his typical improvised, spontaneous manner (that can be taken as sympathetically amateur or outright dilettantic).

Or perhaps "mixed up" isnt quite the right word. What he did was basically copy the alternative blueprint that one of the most rabid haters on the National Review, Mark Krikorian, had laid out - pretty much wholesale. Without even ever contacting him, oddly enough, Krikorian only found out afterwards. (A lot of the Huckabee campaign seems on the fly.)

There's a supportive rundown of the plan on Townhall.com.

Here's a money quote:

Quote:
3. Prevent Amnesty

Policies that promote or tolerate amnesty will be rejected.

Propose to provide all illegal immigrants a 120-day window to register with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and leave the country.

Those who register and return to their home country will face no penalty if they later apply to immigrate or visit; those who do not return home will be, when caught, barred from future reentry for a period of 10 years.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 02:42 pm
If I can paraphrase it a bit, the original question of this thread was: does Huckabee really represent a more social conservatism that actually cares about poverty; or is it just rhetorical flourish bedecking an old-fashioned hard-edged Republican agenda? Well, the one single main thing you cant get around on that count is Huckabee's championing of a "fair tax".

Taxes are boring, so it's discussed a lot less than his crazier Bible-thumping views. But it is arguably far more dangerous. The essence of how it completely destroys Huckabee's "more social" image in one sentence: "it would dramatically shift the national tax burden. The richest fifth of taxpayers would see their tax rate fall by about 20 percent, and the bottom 80 percent would all pay more."

And that's not even going into how unworkable the whole idea would be - so unworkable that it's largely derided by the right as well as the left. Here's a takedown:

Quote:
Huckster

by Jonathan Chait
December 10, 2007

Mike Huckabee has been scaring the bejesus out of the Republican establishment with his scorching populist invective. In one recent interview, the former Arkansas governor declared, "I am like a lot of folks who are tired of thinking the Republican Party is a wholly owned subsidiary of Wall Street." He has denounced "immoral" CEO salaries, and warned, "People will only endure this for so many years before there is a revolt." The terrified anti-tax Club for Growth is waging jihad against Huckabee, and Robert Novak has called him an advocate of "class struggle."

Seeking more insight into Huckabee's apparently Bryan-esque worldview, I turned to his manifesto, From Hope to Higher Ground. In it, he [calls] Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton--whose salary surely qualified as immoral if anybody's ever did--a "visionary" with "extraordinary integrity." What kind of populist is this guy?

A very confused one, it seems. [..] At the broadest ideological level, Huckabee is a conservative, happily paying tribute to the genius of the marketplace, the need for self-reliance, and other conservative standbys.

And, yet, his attachment to laissez-faire dogma is so tissue-thin that it can be blown to bits by the slightest brush with actual experience. Often this leads him in humane and intelligent directions, such as when he expanded children's health insurance. But it can also lead him to embrace simplistic statism, such as his crude protectionism and wholesale embrace of agriculture subsidies. [..]

The most embarrassing aspect of Huckabee's candidacy is his proposal to replace all federal taxes with a national sales tax, or "fair tax." It is difficult for me to find the words to explain just how crazy this idea is. The national sales tax is crazier, by an order of magnitude, than any other crazy idea I've seen at the national level. It's so crazy that even really crazy right-wingers think it's pretty crazy.

The fair tax, as Bruce Bartlett explained in these pages ("Dianetics, The Tax Plan," September 10), was conceived by Scientologists who, angry at an adverse ruling by the Internal Revenue Service, devised a plan they believed would abolish the agency. It has been subsequently embraced by a group of Houston businessmen, who have hired some right-wing activists to promote it.

One aspect of the fair tax is that it would dramatically shift the national tax burden. The richest fifth of taxpayers would see their tax rate fall by about 20 percent, and the bottom 80 percent would all pay more. This is a strange aspiration for somebody like Huckabee who denounces the "growing disparity between the top and the bottom."

But this is actually the sanest aspect of the national sales tax, since at least it serves a cogent, albeit reprehensible, purpose (shifting the tax burden downward). Tax experts believe that a sales tax above around 10 percent is impossible to enforce because the incentives for cheating are so great. The fair tax would impose a 30 percent sales tax--so high that it would no doubt begin a cycle of black-market sales, resulting in escalating rates to capture the lost revenue, resulting in even more cheating, to the point of total collapse. There actually is an efficient and feasible variant of a sales tax--it's called a value-added tax--but fair-tax fans reject this because you'd need an IRS to collect it, and the whole point of their plan is to abolish the IRS. (In reality, the fair tax would require an IRS to enforce it as well. If you're wondering why they still support it, remember: We're talking off-the-grid crazy here.)

So how did Huckabee come to support the fair tax? He was asked about the idea by fair-tax supporters on the campaign trail, bought the book touting it, and was persuaded. Lord help us if he gets his hands on a copy of Das Kapital.

If nothing else, this episode illustrates why Republicans with moderate impulses, like Huckabee, are so politically marginal: Doctrinaire free-marketers firmly control all the think tanks and magazines that feed the GOP. So Republicans who aren't comfortable with the party's plutocratic tilt--Huckabee is one, former Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson is another--have no intellectual infrastructure to fall back on. They wind up coming up with plans that are either vacuous or wildly counterproductive. [..]
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 03:21 pm
Huklebee's quotes

Quote:
FairTax is 23%; Bush's study missed prebate & other aspects
Q: You want to set up what you call a FairTax.
A: Right.

Q: This would be a sales tax of 23% on almost every good and service you buy or anyone buys. But a bipartisan panel named by President Bush say to raise enough money, the rate would have to be 34%.

A: They didn't really study the FairTax. They simply studied a type of consumption tax, not the actual proposal that was designed by some of the leading economists in this country. It is a rate of 23%. It's not 30% or 34%, as some of the critics complain.

Q: They said that a FairTax would reduce the tax burden on only two groups, those making less than $30,000 a year, because there's a rebate for people under the poverty line, and those making more than $200,000 a year. So the rich and the poor do better, but the vast middle class ends up paying more taxes.

A: They had a fatal flaw. They didn't understand that the "prebate" applies to everybody, including the middle class. Everybody comes off better off.

Source: Fox News Sunday: 2007 "Choosing the President" interviews Nov 18, 2007

Quote:
FactCheck: FairTax requires 34% sales tax +$600B entitlement
Huckabee praised a "FairTax" without noting that it would actually impose a stiff retail sales tax & ease the tax burden on the richest Americans:
"A FairTax would eliminate the alternative minimum tax, personal income tax, corporate tax, & al the various taxes that are hidden in our system & Americans don't realize what they're paying."

Quote:
The FairTax proposes a "prebate" to soften its impact on low-income persons--a monthly check for the amount of tax paid up to the poverty level. But any sales tax also would lower taxes for those upper-income persons who save large portions of income that would be taxed under current law.

Pres. Bush's bipartisan Advisory Panel on Tax Reform rejected the idea, saying it would substantially increase taxes for 80% of taxpayers. The panel calculated that a sales tax would have to be set at 34% of retail prices, and the monthly cash prebate would amount to the largest entitlement program in history, at least $600 billion per year.

Source: FactCheck.org on 2007 Republican Debate in South Carolina May 15, 2007

http://www.issues2000.org/2008/Mike_Huckabee_Tax_Reform.htm

For more on Mikey's views check out this site.

http://www.issues2000.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 04:53 pm
In an interview with NPR while he was pheasant hunting, Huckabee really came across as a good ol' boy hick bully, with his cronies guffawing after his joke about killing three out of four pheasants.

"These three birds all said they would not vote for me on caucus night. You see what happened to 'em. Now, that one that flew away? We saw a Huckabee button on his rear end, and so we knew not to take him."
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:07 pm
We already knew the Republican Party establishment was apoplectic about Mike Huckabee's rise. Not only does it see him as easily defeated in the general election, it sees him as an outsider, someone too much of -- rather than merely close to -- the party's evangelical base. And it has some substantial problems with his policy prescriptions, which tend too far to the big government side. Still, the party's elite operatives and pundits have mostly allowed Huckabee to enjoy at least one moment in the sun post-Iowa before they go back on the warpath against him.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/01/04/huckabee_liberal/index.html?source=rss&aim=/politics/war_room
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:52 pm
The Bush administration's arrogant bunker mentality has been counterproductive at home and abroad. American foreign policy needs to change its tone and attitude, open up, and reach out. In particular, it should focus on eliminating Islamist terrorists, stabilizing Iraq, containing Iran, and toughening its stance with Pakistan.

MICHAEL D. HUCKABEE, former Governor of Arkansas, is a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20080101faessay87112/michael-d-huckabee/america-s-priorities-in-the-war-on-terror.html
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:59 pm
As governor, he championed the ARKids First, which extended free health insurance not only to children of the working poor but to some lower middle-class families. He pleased teachers unions with his consistent opposition to school choice and voucher programs. He satisfied labor by signing into law a minimum-wage hike of 21 percent. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" -- Mr. Huckabee's oft-cited scriptural justification for growing government -- proved costly for Arkansans, who saw government spending double and their taxes rise about a half-billion dollars during his tenure.

In the orgy of analysis sweeping the Net and the airwaves last night, (finally, finally, we have some real numbers to chew on) conservative commentators did their absolute best to marginalize Huckabee by pointing to the overwhelming support he received from self-identified "evangelicals." They desperately want to believe that Huckabee's win has nothing to do with his "government-should-help-the-little-guy" message and everything to do with the way he bears a cross as if it were a coat of arms.

Maybe they're right. Maybe Iowan evangelicals were so blinded by the light shining from that cross that they couldn't see (or didn't care about) his heretical economic platform. Or maybe the opposite is true -- maybe the Republican punditocracy is so blind to growing economic angst and uncertainty in the United States that they simply can't comprehend that Huckabee's popularity might have something to do with the fact that he is the only Republican candidate (outside of, possibly, Ron Paul) who sincerely appears to care that some people are having a hard time right now.

If some portion of Huckabee's support does come from evangelicals who are comfortable with the thought that Jesus might care about the environment, poverty, and hunger, or that, as Huckabee said in August, "we can't ignore that there are kids every day in this country that literally don't have enough food and adequate drinking water in America," then Republicans are faced with a great paradox. The GOP long ago made its bed with Jesus Christ. But there's nothing in the Bible that equates belief in the savior with a belief in small government and tax cuts for the rich.
http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/01/04/huckabee/index.html?source=rss&aim=/tech/htww
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:06 pm
Jabouti, S.
01/06/2008 04:26 PM

Hey Mike, just saw you on CNN. Please, unless you want to be and sound stupid just like Bush, remember that it is REGARDLESS.

NOT IRREGARDLESS!!
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=1087
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 06:44 pm
New Hampshire allows independents to vote in the primaries. Most independents are going for Obama or McCain. This should be a message to the Republican Party; if Huckabee becomes the Republican candidate kiss the independent vote good-bye.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 08:35 pm
Here's the Fair Tax Site. It's supports Huck

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

Can you imagine paying anywhere from 23 to 34 percent more for everything you buy? That on top of state sales tax. That's what Huck calls fair. It'll kill the middle class and poor.

With that much additional tax your inviting a new crime wave; stealing and selling goods without tax.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 08:43 am
InfraBlue wrote:
In an interview with NPR while he was pheasant hunting, Huckabee really came across as a good ol' boy hick bully, with his cronies guffawing after his joke about killing three out of four pheasants.

"These three birds all said they would not vote for me on caucus night. You see what happened to 'em. Now, that one that flew away? We saw a Huckabee button on his rear end, and so we knew not to take him."

What you've quoted here is supposed to be an example of Huckleberry's "humor." I heard the interview and found the comment to be hostile. But, in the feeding frenzy of the campaign season, remarks such as this are radio gold. I hadn't consciously connected the hick bully part, and I agree.

It makes me long for the good ol' Arkansas Bill Clinton days-- pre Monica, where the media would find him hunting-- for Big Macs at a McDonalds.
0 Replies