Mike Huckabee

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:30 am
I heard him at one of the Republican debates speak about the need to tackle the problem of poverty in America. He's quite eloquent.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,587 • Replies: 117
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:51 am
I'm watching the whole Huckabee ascendancy with interest. I have to say that the Chuck Norris endorsement stuff sounds really funny. (""Chuck Norris doesn't endorse... He tells America the way it's gonna be.")

Still, this is a guy who doesn't believe in evolution and had no idea the NIE report came out (about nukes in Iran). (Thanks to nimh for that latest piece of info, on the Republican '08 thread.) I can't imagine he's going to get that far, but who knows.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:05 am
sozobe wrote:
I'm watching the whole Huckabee ascendancy with interest. I have to say that the Chuck Norris endorsement stuff sounds really funny. (""Chuck Norris doesn't endorse... He tells America the way it's gonna be.")

Still, this is a guy who doesn't believe in evolution and had no idea the NIE report came out (about nukes in Iran). (Thanks to nimh for that latest piece of info, on the Republican '08 thread.) I can't imagine he's going to get that far, but who knows.

I knew someone would bring up the creationism angle along with some of the other conservative viewpoints. At least you did it with decorum, so thanks.

I am no conservative, but I think the good Evangelicals don't care who'se gay, or how to get rich, or put abortion as their no.1 priority (this is where Huckabee and I part)--they care about homelessness, poverty, racial inequality and people in other parts of the world who are starving or dieing because of war, famine, natural disasters, etc.

Nonetheless, he has a sense of social responsibilty which I admire.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:26 am
We will soon be rid of the religious freak now in the oval office. We certainly do not need another one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:42 am
Cole has it right. There are deeply serious problems here
Quote:
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Huckabee as Deer in the Headlights
Trusts hearsay over NIE
Gov. Mike Huckabee did not know about the new National Intelligence Estimate on Iran when asked about it on Wednesday. It had caused a furor in Washington because it concluded that Iran had halted any weapons-related experiments in 2003.

It is not such a big scandal that Huckabee hadn't heard the news. When you are traveling and out among people, often you don't, until you get back to the hotel that night. I can testify to that myself.

What is the scandal is that Huckabee had been briefed by someone to opposite conclusions from those of the NIE and had swallowed it hook line and sinker.

He told a reporter for Politico.com:

' I don't know where the intelligence is coming from that says they have suspended the program or how credible that is versus the view that they actually are expanding it. … And I've heard, the last two weeks, supposed reports that they are accelerating it and it could be having a reactor in a much shorter period of time than originally been thought.
'

So here's what is troubling. Huckabee puts what he's "heard" above the findings of the 16 US intelligence agencies. And, he seems to be confused that the problem with Iran is that it is building nuclear reactors. Reactors can be used for peaceful energy generation. It is if they were building a bomb that anyone should be concerned. The reactors at Bushehr cannot easily be put to bomb making purposes.
more at link
http://www.juancole.com/
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:51 am
au1929 wrote:
We will soon be rid of the religious freak now in the oval office. We certainly do not need another one.

I didn't say he ought to get elected, I pointed out his awareness of the problems of poverty in America.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:54 am
blatham wrote:
Cole has it right. There are deeply serious problems here
Quote:
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Huckabee as Deer in the Headlights
Trusts hearsay over NIE
Gov. Mike Huckabee did not know about the new National Intelligence Estimate on Iran when asked about it on Wednesday. It had caused a furor in Washington because it concluded that Iran had halted any weapons-related experiments in 2003.

It is not such a big scandal that Huckabee hadn't heard the news. When you are traveling and out among people, often you don't, until you get back to the hotel that night. I can testify to that myself.

What is the scandal is that Huckabee had been briefed by someone to opposite conclusions from those of the NIE and had swallowed it hook line and sinker.

He told a reporter for Politico.com:

' I don't know where the intelligence is coming from that says they have suspended the program or how credible that is versus the view that they actually are expanding it. … And I've heard, the last two weeks, supposed reports that they are accelerating it and it could be having a reactor in a much shorter period of time than originally been thought.
'

So here's what is troubling. Huckabee puts what he's "heard" above the findings of the 16 US intelligence agencies. And, he seems to be confused that the problem with Iran is that it is building nuclear reactors. Reactors can be used for peaceful energy generation. It is if they were building a bomb that anyone should be concerned. The reactors at Bushehr cannot easily be put to bomb making purposes.
more at link
http://www.juancole.com/

Fer cryin' out loud, my post has predictably gotten the shackles up. Not a single comment has been made about his stance on poverty in America except sozobe who made a comment that relates to what I posted.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:06 am
I was liking the guy more and more...but..I'm checking into this thug he let loose. There is a story around it that some rightwing groups were pressuring him to release Wayne Dumond. It sounds like a conspiracy...but worth checking out.

On the NIE, yes he should have known. Is this incident a hazard of being out campaigning rather than doing his job, yes I think so. He needs to do his job first then campaign and that goes for all candidates.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:22 am
The only interesting candidates I see are Gravel/Huckabee/Paul and Kucinich. Interesting innit?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
dyslexia wrote:
The only interesting candidates I see are Gravel/Huckabee/Paul and Kucinich. Interesting innit?

No surprise!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:26 am
Gala, I definitely like that a Republican is talking about poverty.

Brand X, I don't think Huckabee has a job other than campaigning. He's a former Arkansas governor, emphasis on former. I think just utterly not knowing about it is not doing his job as a candidate for President, though.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:32 am
Brand X wrote:
I was liking the guy more and more...but..I'm checking into this thug he let loose. There is a story around it that some rightwing groups were pressuring him to release Wayne Dumond. It sounds like a conspiracy...but worth checking out.

On the NIE, yes he should have known. Is this incident a hazard of being out campaigning rather than doing his job, yes I think so. He needs to do his job first then campaign and that goes for all candidates.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2007_GOP_Morgan_State.htm

Here's an overview of how he stands on a lot of things (easy to read)-- I don't agree with most of it, and some of it is downright narrow. Nonetheless, I haven't heard the front-runner Repub's squeak about racial inequality. And, notice how all the front-runners are absent from this particular debate.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:47 am
au1929 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

No surprise!

Yes of course but then it's well known i am both stupid and lack a sense of humour.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:20 am
dyslexia wrote:
au1929 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

No surprise!

Yes of course but then it's well known i am both stupid and lack a sense of humour.

Don't be so hard on yourself. No one is perfect :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:36 am
Huckabee is riding the Colbert Bump! Governor Mike Huckabee will be the next president.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:47 am
Chumly wrote:
Huckabee is riding the Colbert Bump! Governor Mike Huckabee will be the next president.

Bump or hump? I heard if he fails in his presidential bid he is going to Canada to give you people a good humping. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:59 am
Our socialized medical would never let him get past the border, he is a "recovering foodaholic" who has lost 120 pounds.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:09 pm
Gala wrote:
I am no conservative, but I think the good Evangelicals don't care who'se gay, or how to get rich, or put abortion as their no.1 priority (this is where Huckabee and I part)--they care about homelessness, poverty, racial inequality and people in other parts of the world who are starving or dieing because of war, famine, natural disasters, etc.

Isn't that what liberals are about (at least in declarations), but on a much more systemic (rather than personal charity) level?

I mean yay for a Republican talking about poverty, but that doesn't change anything in their camp, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 02:49 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Gala wrote:

Isn't that what liberals are about (at least in declarations), but on a much more systemic (rather than personal charity) level?

I mean yay for a Republican talking about poverty, but that doesn't change anything in their camp, I'm afraid.

dag
The american christian heritage has several discernible strains and one of them has always concerned itself with what we would call a 'liberal' or communitarian ethos...that is, empathy and charity towards those who are suffering, humility and lack of personal or group arrogance, egalitarianism and a profound rejection of war and violence.

Another strain, now in ascendance particularly within the Republican Party, has held quite different ideas. This strain, in its moves towards political activism and its association with the Republican party, has become not merely more strident but more extremist as well. It voices a version of christianity which christ would find unrecognizable and utterly repugnant.

Huckabee, for all else that would make him a really awful american president, does voice (and sincerely hold, I think) values within that first tradition.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 02:53 pm
addendum

It is also the case that the Republican party has moved very far to the right from where it was in the fifties. Now, even Clinton would be leary of publicly stating many of the liberal notions held and voiced or written by Eisenhower.
0 Replies