Another question for the right and left

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:20 am
Re: Another question for the right and left
flaja wrote:
The programs that I listed were enacted from 1958 to 1994. The Democrats had a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives in every one of these years and the Democrats had a majority in the U.S. Senate for each of these years except 1981 to 1987. And a Democrat was in the White House from 1961 to 1969, 1977 to 1981 and 1993 to 1994. These were programs that were created by liberals and funded by liberals (since all budget appropriations must originate in the U.S. House of Representatives which had a liberal majority).

Or, in other words, every program that you don't like is a liberal program, no matter who passed it or who signed it.

flaja wrote:
Furthermore, when it came to spending money, Ronald Reagan was a liberal.

Then I must echo ehBeth and ask: who exactly do you consider to be a conservative?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:15 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
flaja wrote:
The programs that I listed were enacted from 1958 to 1994. The Democrats had a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives in every one of these years and the Democrats had a majority in the U.S. Senate for each of these years except 1981 to 1987. And a Democrat was in the White House from 1961 to 1969, 1977 to 1981 and 1993 to 1994. These were programs that were created by liberals and funded by liberals (since all budget appropriations must originate in the U.S. House of Representatives which had a liberal majority).

Or, in other words, every program that you don't like is a liberal program, no matter who passed it or who signed it.

flaja wrote:

Then I must echo ehBeth and ask: who exactly do you consider to be a conservative?

What do you consider to be a liberal?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
flaja wrote:

flaja wrote:

Answering questions with questions is a sure sign of a sophomoric debater. It would be much better for you to answer the question, then to attempt to change the subject to other people's opinions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:32 pm
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

I asked first.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
flaja wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
flaja wrote:

flaja wrote:

Answering questions with questions is a sure sign of a sophomoric debater. It would be much better for you to answer the question, then to attempt to change the subject to other people's opinions.

Cycloptichorn

Since you won't identify any liberals, I must conclude that you don't know what a liberal is and thus wouldn't recognize anyone as being a conservative since you don't know the difference between the two.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:41 pm
Look flaja, you started this
flaja wrote:
Like I said, no legitimate conservative

You seemed to be suggesting that you had some idea of "legitimate conservative" that you were evaluating people/positions against.

I asked you to tell me what you considered a conservative.

I'm not clear why you don't want to provide that answer.

Asking others what a liberal is does not help anyone understand you and your perspective of conservatism on the political spectrum. It does suggest that you don't know how to define liberal or conservative. Which may indeed be the case, and a reasonable response could be "I don't know what liberal or conservative means".

The "you first" type of response does not lead to any kind of useful discussion.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
flaja wrote:
Since you won't identify any liberals, I must conclude that you don't know what a liberal is and thus wouldn't recognize anyone as being a conservative since you don't know the difference between the two.

Ah.

So, since you were asked and have been unable to come up with an answer of what constitutes a "legitimate conservative," are we to conclude that you don't know what a conservative is and thus wouldn't recognize anyone as being a liberal since you don't know the difference between the two?

Stands to reason.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:54 pm
kuvasz wrote:
only a fool would reject success because it came from the wrong direction.

And fools a plenty there be.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:00 pm
ehBeth wrote:
You seemed to be suggesting that you had some idea of "legitimate conservative" that you were evaluating people/positions against.

Just because I know what a legitimate conservative is doesn't mean that the liberals here know what a legitimate conservative is. So until I have some assurance that the liberals here can tell a conservative from a liberal, I see no point in identifying any conservatives.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a strong correlation between "legitimate conservatives" and "true Christians".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 01:38 pm
flaja wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

I see no point in identifying any conservatives.

Not who - what.

What defines a "legitimate conservative"?

You brought the phrase into the discussion. I am asking you to define "legitimate conservative".
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 01:43 pm
joe said...

Quote:

I'm not flaja, but I will try and answer.

I am a conservative.
I want the govt to leave me alone, I want the govt to stop spending money like drunken sailors, I want the govt to eliminate the people in DC whose only job is to wander around and tell each other how important they are, I want the govt to eliminate totally the pork and the earmarks from spending.

I want the govt to realize that the only power they have is the Constitution of the US, and I want them to abide by it.

If its not in the Constitution, the federal govt cant do it, no matter what "it" is.

Of course, there are still some poeple on here that will say I'm not a conservative, and thats their right.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:26 pm
JPB wrote:
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a strong correlation between "legitimate conservatives" and "true Christians".

This would likely depend on individual issues and some issues may not have Christian and non-Christian positions.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
flaja wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

I see no point in identifying any conservatives.

Not who - what.

What defines a "legitimate conservative"?

You brought the phrase into the discussion. I am asking you to define "legitimate conservative".

Have you ever read Burke?
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:40 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I want the govt to realize that the only power they have is the Constitution of the US, and I want them to abide by it.

Abide by whose interpretation of the Constitution? I have no trouble relying on the elastic clause to allow the government to do things that need to be done, but which individuals and the private sector either cannot or will not do.

I don't have any qualms about using the commerce clause to let the government act to insure workplace safety or consumer protection against unsafe or ineffective goods and services because the greed component of the profit motive puts both labor and consumers at risk.

I'm willing to accept some level of government welfare programs because large concentrations of poverty can lead to societal revolution, and I also realize that large concentrations of wealth can lead to tyranny whereby the rich oppresses the poor.

To the libertarians on the net my positions make me a liberal, but when I disagree with liberals regarding the necessity of some of the things that the government does, I get called a conservative/Nazi/fascist.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
joe said...

Quote:

I am a conservative.
I want the govt to leave me alone, I want the govt to stop spending money like drunken sailors, I want the govt to eliminate the people in DC whose only job is to wander around and tell each other how important they are, I want the govt to eliminate totally the pork and the earmarks from spending.

If its not in the Constitution, the federal govt cant do it, no matter what "it" is.

Of course, there are still some poeple on here that will say I'm not a conservative, and thats their right.

Sounds pretty libertarian to me, mm.
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:08 pm
JPB wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
joe said...

Quote:

I am a conservative.

How so? The libertarians that I have encountered generally believe no government is necessary and government can never do anything worthwhile. Libertarians all believe government is always bad. As a conservative I accept government as necessary. Government is bad only when it is in excess.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
flaja said...
Quote:
Abide by whose interpretation of the Constitution?

What do you mean?
Read the words, they mean exactly what they say.
Anybody with a sixth grade education can read the Constitution and know what it means.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:17 am
JPB wrote:

Yes, mm would qualify here in Europe as a right-liberal (liberal here is what you call libertarian).
0 Replies

flaja

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:33 am
mysteryman wrote:
flaja said...
Quote:
Abide by whose interpretation of the Constitution?

What do you mean?
Read the words, they mean exactly what they say.
Anybody with a sixth grade education can read the Constitution and know what it means.

If the words mean exactly what they say, why did Hamilton and Jefferson battle each other over the First National Bank of the U.S.- Jefferson saying it was unconstitutional while Hamilton said it was necessary and proper as a means of coining and regulating the value of money?

Why is that libertarians today claim all federal welfare programs are unconstitutional when anyone else can claim that they are necessary and proper (to some extent or another) as a means of regulating commerce?

Why do some liberals and libertarians claim that the President cannot deploy U.S. troops without a declaration of war when the Constitution clearly says that the president is commander-in-chief of the armed forces with the implication being that he can deploy troops whenever and wherever he deems necessary?

Why is it some people you meet on the internet believe secession from the Union is legal even though this nation suppressed a secessionist rebellion in the 1860s?
0 Replies