Sean Taylor: Another victim of stupid gun laws

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:47 pm
Foofie wrote:
I always thought that burglars do not carry guns, since if caught in the act they can claim they were only trespassing. If caught with firearms, the prison sentence is much greater. Also, if they are shot by a homeowner, and they (the burglars) are unarmed, the homeowner has committed a crime in some states, I thought.

Not in any state I'd live in.

I got it: How about we only let the law-abiding citizens carry guns?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

But I guarantee you I would much rather have a 20 gauge in my hand than a machete if my home is invaded by gun wielding thugs.

That's for shooting quail and pheasants. You want a Remington 870 or some such, 12 gauge with the 3-shot spacer removed, 18" or 20" cop barrel, and either 3" anti-goose, anti-turkey, or buckshot loads. Recoil from a 12 gauge shotgun isn't that big a deal, it's still basically a low-powered weapon.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

I got it: How about we only let the law-abiding citizens carry guns?

BRILLIANT!! We could send all the criminals to San Francisco for two years for indoctrination....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:55 pm
San Fran Cisco....where insanity meets the sea...... Shocked
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:56 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

But I guarantee you I would much rather have a 20 gauge in my hand than a machete if my home is invaded by gun wielding thugs.

That's for shooting quail and pheasants. You want a Remington 870 or some such, 12 gauge with the 3-shot spacer removed, 18" or 20" cop barrel, and either 3" anti-goose, anti-turkey, or buckshot loads. Recoil from a 12 gauge shotgun isn't that big a deal, it's still basically a low-powered weapon.

I think my quail gun would do just fine, GS.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:03 pm
One thing nobody's mentioned...

You get three or four guys like the robbers in this case who have to come through a door and the homeowner is waiting for them with even a quail gun in his hand, and the hoodlums are going to be at a severe disadvantage. Numbers wouldn't help them much in such a situation and from the pictures at least I wouldn't bet on them winning the day on superior intelligence...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:38 pm
Well, that's right. Racking the slide of a .20 gauge Winchester makes a very distinctive sound that any home intruder will instantly recognize. Loaded with bird shot, it will do sufficient damage at close range, but not cause much relative collateral damage.

Here's a video of a .20 gauge slug going up against a watermelon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFVqm7UIXY

It'll do. My backup weapon is a 9mm Browning.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:54 pm
Bad day for the watermelon.....
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:05 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
This wasn't a home invasion.

Then what was it?

A burglary, of course. Are you really that dense?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:53 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Then what was it?

So, how could it have been a burglary if the criminals didnt invade the home?

They werent invited, so that makes it a home invasion.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 07:33 am
gungasnake wrote:

You get three or four guys like the robbers in this case who have to come through a door and the homeowner is waiting for them with even a quail gun in his hand, and the hoodlums are going to be at a severe disadvantage. Numbers wouldn't help them much in such a situation and from the pictures at least I wouldn't bet on them winning the day on superior intelligence...

Wow, that's impressive - you can tell that from the pics, eh? With your mind-reading technique, do you get an IQ reading that's accurate to fractions of numbers, or just to three decimals?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:02 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Then what was it?

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you'd believe this to be a home invasion. Since you think there was intent to harm.

Wikipedia says that a home invasion differs from a burglary in that: "The invaders may follow their victims home, commit breaking and entering, and are sometimes intent on assault, robbery, rape, or murder."

I had always used the terms interchangably, and for any of my discussions they can be, but if you want to get specific (and apparently you do) then here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_invasion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglary
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:04 am
Hey gunga, do you name your guns? And do you get a hard on when hold them?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:14 am
Foofie wrote:

Regardless, those who believe in their right to bear arms oftentimes do not focus on the gun accidents in homes with children, or in the use of guns against people for non-robberies, or any other use of guns that result in innocent deaths, they just want their right to bear arms (even though it was meant originally for militias).

And those who believe that people should own guns oftentimes do not focus on the impossibility of banning all guns in the USA. They also do not focus on the FACT that the only possible way to keep guns from criminals is a complete ban.

Most all gun control measures, short of a complete ban on ALL guns (not just 1 or 2 types of guns), only serve to disarm otherwise law abiding citizens. It HARMS the law abiding.

And I'm sorry but 1500 annual accidental gun deaths from people who improperly teach their children about firearms or store them incorrectly IS NOT a valid excuse for disarming the entire nation. Children die in car accidents all the time, should we remove cars from the road? How about just not allowing children to ride in cars? Since speeding is responsible for a majority of all accidents should we impound cars or arrest those who speed?

Gun-control nuts need to focus their time/energy on larger scale problems in our country. I firmly belive that speeding in a car (even 5mph over) is a much larger problem than any firearm, and one that OFTEN get's overlooked and even excused by police officers.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:15 am
Wilso wrote:
Hey gunga, do you name your guns? And do you get a hard on when hold them?

Look, I don't like gunga at all, but this is pretty inappropriate.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:28 am
I am pro gun ownership to a point... I always wanted a shotgun in the house and have toyed with the idea of owning a hand gun once when I was assaulted and robbed in the middle of the night.... but squinney was umovable in her refusal to have one in the house....I will probably get one of each now that we're separated... but I will take a gun safety and training course first.

The idea of giving every Tom Dick and Harriet who can pay for a gun and isn't a convicted felon is ludicrous however. You're talking people who can't get from a karaoke songbook up to me with a request card and find the song alphabetically then spell the damn thing. You're talking the pizza guy who when I told him my credit card expired in August of a certain year, asked me what number that month was.

You're talking mouth breathers with a chip on their shoulders like many who reside here I won't mention.

Jesus I can't even think of the number of shootings that would ensue.

As for "only criminals will have guns" then use the death penalty for any crime involving a gun and do it within say 6 months of the sentence being passed down so muthaphuckas know we mean business. And do it by firing squad, picking the people on the squad by lottery. That'll make the gungas of the world happy. I can see gunga and others gathered around the tv, hot wings, jenos pizza rolls and cold beer all laid out checking their ticket numbers against the powerball executioner drawing now. That's America god dammit!!!

Most people are not smart enough to be walking around with a gun. Hell maybe I'm not, I'm not that patient a Bear.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:50 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am pro gun ownership to a point... I always wanted a shotgun in the house and have toyed with the idea of owning a hand gun once when I was assaulted and robbed in the middle of the night.... but squinney was umovable in her refusal to have one in the house....I will probably get one of each now that we're separated... but I will take a gun safety and training course first.

The idea of giving every Tom Dick and Harriet who can pay for a gun and isn't a convicted felon is ludicrous however. You're talking people who can't get from a karaoke songbook up to me with a request card and find the song alphabetically then spell the damn thing. You're talking the pizza guy who when I told him my credit card expired in August of a certain year, asked me what number that month was.

You're talking mouth breathers with a chip on their shoulders like many who reside here I won't mention.

Jesus I can't even think of the number of shootings that would ensue.

As for "only criminals will have guns" then use the death penalty for any crime involving a gun and do it within say 6 months of the sentence being passed down so muthaphuckas know we mean business. And do it by firing squad, picking the people on the squad by lottery. That'll make the gungas of the world happy. I can see gunga and others gathered around the tv, hot wings, jenos pizza rolls and cold beer all laid out checking their ticket numbers against the powerball executioner drawing now. That's America god dammit!!!

Most people are not smart enough to be walking around with a gun. Hell maybe I'm not, I'm not that patient a Bear.

You realize that almost every Tom Dick and Harriet can buy a gun now right? And the "number of shootings that would ensue" really isn't that many. The same guy who can't fill out a song card is the same exact guy who can buy a shotgun at Walmart for $200 bucks. We do not have the Wild Wild West in the streets now.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:54 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Then what was it?

In other words, they stood in the yard and demanded money and, when Taylor refused, they shot him through the walls of the house??
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:00 am
maporsche wrote:

Children die in car accidents all the time, should we remove cars from the road? How about just not allowing children to ride in cars? ....

One fact which is overlooked is that if a person owns a swimming pool and a gun and has kids, the swimming pool is a hundred times as likely to kill one of the kids as the gun is. Guns are tremendously safe compared to swimming pools.

Then again you get the kinds of idiots who ride horses and want to tell me how dangerous motorcycles are...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:08 am
snood wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

Wow, that's impressive - you can tell that from the pics, eh? With your mind-reading technique, do you get an IQ reading that's accurate to fractions of numbers, or just to three decimals?

You're claiming those four losers look intelligent to YOU??

You know, yeah, you're right the more you look at it, the first three really look like they might have gotten their PHDs in theoretical physics from Berkeley, but what about the fourth one (lower right)?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u68/bamahead/capte3bea868a6b244609af0814241d34fa.jpg
0 Replies