Iran's illegal Nuclear Weapons Program

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 09:18 pm
I wasn't aware of the fact that Israel violated Turkish airspace in their attack on Syrian territory. I do know that Turkey allows Israel to use its airspace for training missions. But that just goes to further show the lack of punitive measures against Israel for its attack. I suspect the same level of virtually nothing would be incurred by them in an attack on Iranian territory.

So, if the Russians have no reason to deliver any extremely advanced technology to the Iranians, then this assertion also further erodes Fabio's (Fabio is dialectical of Fabius, meant as a playful nickname for the intel guy's nom de plume.) own assertions of Iran's "hardened and well-defended targets," and the IAF having to "over fly nations with excellent air defenses (or Iraq)."

I stated my ignorance of Russian air defense systems technology, so, is that really what they and their gifted mathematicians (Grigory Perelman surely being one) have developed? If so, gee whiz!

Finally, the F-15 isn't the only US made attack aircraft at the IAF's disposal. They also have the more advanced F-16, with, according to Wikipedia, more (50) F-16I "Sufa" (the latest version developed for the Israeli market) on order.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:58 am
InfraBlue wrote:
I wasn't aware of the fact that Israel violated Turkish airspace in their attack on Syrian territory.......................

I stated my ignorance of Russian air defense systems technology, ....................

Finally, the F-15 isn't the only US made attack aircraft at the IAF's disposal. They also have the more advanced F-16, with, according to Wikipedia, more (50) F-16I "Sufa" (the latest version developed for the Israeli market) on order.

Infra - I appreciate that you're unfamiliar with the range and weapons payload of various aircraft, or with air defenses, so can assure you that the F-15 has a vastly greater range, and weapons payload, than the F-16 - the latter would never make a bombing round trip from Israel to Tehran.

Separately, and if you know the location of the latest bombing in Syria, a look at a map will convince you of the necessity of following a flight path over water for as long as possible as opposed to overflying anybody else's territory without permission.

Fabius however considers strategy, not payloads; in fact, if you look up my first link to his "Israeli suicide" article, you'll see that he specifically excludes technical logistics from his overview in order to focus on the strategic merits of an attack on Iran. And recent developments in Pakistan and those pesky areas on their Afghan border have, if anything, strengthened his argument .
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:27 pm
Quote:
The boats got within 200 to 500 yards of the American ships before splitting into two groups. At least one of the fast boats then dropped several white boxes in the water in the pathway of the Ingraham, which successfully dodged them, considering them potential floating mines. Commanders of the US ships also received radio communications thought to be from one of the Iranian boats in which they heard an individual say in English, "I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes."

A Navy official said it was impossible to determine if the radio transmission actually came from one of the five boats.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0108/p02s01-usfp.html

This last sentence is baffling: directional antennas aren't available on USN ships? Does anyone know?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:49 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
I wasn't aware of the fact that Israel violated Turkish airspace in their attack on Syrian territory.......................

I stated my ignorance of Russian air defense systems technology, ....................

As far as I know, the F15 and F16 are about the same generation of technology -- the F15 is just a heavy fighter and the F16 is a lightweight fighter.

High Seas wrote:
Infra - I appreciate that you're unfamiliar with the range and weapons payload of various aircraft, or with air defenses, so can assure you that the F-15 has a vastly greater range, and weapons payload, than the F-16 - the latter would never make a bombing round trip from Israel to Tehran.

I think either one would need to refuel. And with refueling, I don't see why the F16 couldn't make it to Iran and back.

However, the F15 is the only one heavy enough to carry the 5,000-pound bombs that Israel would need to use to penetrate the Natanz bunkers.

I don't see why Israel couldn't take out the Isfahan and Arak sites with F16s though.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:58 pm
Oralloy - Israel has no in-flight refueling capability.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:05 pm
High Seas wrote:

Where did you hear that? I've always heard that they do.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 06:07 pm
oralloy wrote:
High Seas wrote:

Where did you hear that? I've always heard that they do.

They have some, but I'm entirely certain they can't make it to several targets in Iran and back with full weapons payload of bunker-busters. Besides - think of the airspace and routing involved; this is no run over peaceful lands and waters.

Assuming both in-flight refuelling and airspace transit can be assured both ways (unlikely) and only a few non-hardened targets are involved (making the enterprise pointless) there's still the matter of Iranian air defenses.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 12:32 am
High Seas wrote:

I didn't say I was unfamiliar with the range and weapons payload of various aircraft, I said I was unfamiliar with Russian air defense systems. I used to have a very keen interest in military aircraft, and am familiar with both the F15 and F16 fighters.

You keep bringing up Iranian air defenses, and the long distances from Israel to the possible Iranian target sites, but I've already answered those concerns in an earlier thread. In summary, the US made aircraft that Israel would probably employ operate above the range of any known anti-aircraft defense systems known, unless you know of some system that they might possess that the US is unaware of. Also, the US could grant free passage over its Iraq territory and even refuel any Israeli attack planes en route to any Iranian targets.

Disney cartoons are cute, but they don't deal with the issues presented.

oralloy wrote:
As far as I know, the F15 and F16 are about the same generation of technology -- the F15 is just a heavy fighter and the F16 is a lightweight fighter.

The F15 was first developed in the mid sixties. The F16, which was developed as a Lightweight Fighter (LWF) alternative to the F15 was developed in the mid seventies. It's design was so radical at the time, what with its unstable but efficient design that required fly by wire technology, that it is far from obsolete, and is still produced in large numbers. The F15 was last produced in 1999.

According to fas.org the F16 could handle the payload of a 5,000 pound bomb, but of course it would need inflight refueling as its range would be limited.

Combat Radius [F-16C]

740 nm (1,370 km) w/ 2 2,000-lb bombs + 2 AIM-9 + 1,040 US gal external tanks

340 nm (630 km) w/ 4 2,000-lb bombs + 2 AIM-9 + 340 US gal external tanks

200 nm (370 km) + 2 hr 10 min patrol w/ 2 AIM-7 + 2 AIM-9 + 1,040 US gal external tanks
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 05:57 am
High Seas wrote:
Quote:
The boats got within 200 to 500 yards of the American ships before splitting into two groups. At least one of the fast boats then dropped several white boxes in the water in the pathway of the Ingraham, which successfully dodged them, considering them potential floating mines. Commanders of the US ships also received radio communications thought to be from one of the Iranian boats in which they heard an individual say in English, "I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes."

A Navy official said it was impossible to determine if the radio transmission actually came from one of the five boats.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0108/p02s01-usfp.html

This last sentence is baffling: directional antennas aren't available on USN ships? Does anyone know?

Seems the Pentagon doesn't know where these voices came from.

Quote:
Thursday January 10, 2008 14:49 EST
The U.S. military inflicts more damage on its own credibility
(updated below - Update II)

It seems increasingly clear that the U.S. military's initial claims about its interaction with those five Iranian speed boats in the Strait of Hormuz was exaggerated in significant ways, approaching Jessica Lynch/Pat Tillman/Iraq-is-going-great territory. It's impossible to resolve all of the conflicting details of each side's self-serving version, but the most inflammatory facts which the Navy originally asserted, and which the American news media uncritically regurgitated, are quite dubious, if not demonstrably false.

Here, for instance, was the first paragraph of Tuesday's Washington Post story by Robin Wright and Ann Scott Tyson, highlighting the most dramatic and scariest part of the U.S. military's narrative:

Quote:
We're coming at you, the Iranian radio transmission warned. Your ships will explode in a couple of minutes.

The next paragraph summarized the Navy's version that "five Iranian patrol boats sped toward the USS Port Royal and two accompanying ships as they crossed the Strait of Hormuz" and then "'maneuvered aggressively' on both sides of the U.S. ships." The next paragraph recounted:

Quote:
After the radio transmission, two of the Iranian boats dropped "white box-like objects" into the water, [Vice Adm. Kevin J.] Cosgriff said.

Those are the two "facts" that infused the story with such a sinister tone -- explicit threats from the Iranian boats to destroy the American ships, followed by their dropping of unidentifiable boxes, which, one was supposed to infer, could easily have been explosive devices.

But the first "fact" seems almost certainly false, and the second one is highly questionable. Iranian Hooman Majd at The Huffington Post noted that the voices on the tapes issuing the melodramatic threats were unquestionably not Persian. As he put it: "the person speaking doesn't have an Iranian accent and moreover, sounds more like Boris Karloff in a horror movie than a sailor in the elite branch of Iran's military." A regular Iranian commenter at Cernig's blog made the same point. Listen for yourself to the audio and see how credible the threats sound.

Since then, additional facts have emerged strongly negating the claim that that message came from those Iranian boats. The audio of the threats is crystal clear in sound quality, with no ambient noise -- something highly unlikely to be the case if delivered from a small, speeding boat. Moreover, as the New York Times' Mike Nizza reports today, quoting a reader claiming to be a former Naval officer, the channel that was used to convey the transmission is easily accessible to all sorts of private parties and is often the venue for hoaxes, pranks, and false messages.

Even the Pentagon itself is now acknowledging the lack of proof for the initial version, "saying that the voice on the tape could have come from the shore or from another ship." As Nizza put it: "The list of those who are less than fully confident in the Pentagon's video/audio mashup of aggressive maneuvers by Iranian boats near American warships in the Strait of Hormuz now includes the Pentagon itself."

The video released by the U.S. military contained video and audio that were patched together, and as Cernig notes, the audio containing the threatening messages was suspicious from the start:

The section of the released tape which contains the actual threat to "blow up" anyone, as I noted yesterday, comes at the very end and is very much unconnected in any causal sense to the rest of it. The sound is clearer and less cluttered by background noise, while there is no video accompanying it -- the only such section of the tape -- just an ominously black screen. The accent of the alleged Iranian threatener is way wrong. I've known several Iranians well in the UK and their accents when speaking English were all very different from that on the tape -- less gutteral.
Moreover, the audio and video released by the Iranians, from the vantage point of one of the Iranian speed boats, shows verbal interaction between them and one of the American ships, in which each is identifying themselves to the other.

The bit about the "white boxes" being dropped into the water seems almost equally dubious. Neither the video of the incident released by the U.S. military, nor the video version released by the Iranian government, includes any such event, nor are there any references to it at all on the audio.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/

Looks like tha Bushites are trying to find an excuse to attack Iran. Sounds like another Gulf of Tolkin.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 08:16 am
Official Version of Naval Incident Starts to Unravel

by Gareth Porter
Despite the official and media portrayal of the incident in the Strait of Hormuz early Monday morning as a serious threat to US ships from Iranian speedboats that nearly resulted in a "battle at sea," new information over the past three days suggests that the incident did not involve such a threat and that no US commander was on the verge of firing at the Iranian boats.

The new information that appears to contradict the original version of the incident includes the revelation that US officials spliced the audio recording of an alleged Iranian threat onto to a videotape of the incident. That suggests that the threatening message may not have come in immediately after the initial warning to Iranian boats from a US warship, as it appears to do on the video.

Also unraveling the story is testimony from a former US naval officer that non-official chatter is common on the channel used to communicate with the Iranian boats and testimony from the commander of the US 5th fleet that the commanding officers of the US warships involved in the incident never felt the need to warn the Iranians of a possible use of force against them.

Further undermining the US version of the incident is a video released by Iran Thursday showing an Iranian naval officer on a small boat hailing one of three ships.

The Iranian commander is heard to say, "Coalition warship 73, this is Iranian navy patrol boat." He then requests the "side numbers" of the US warships. A voice with a US accent replies, "This is coalition warship 73. I am operating in international waters."

The dramatic version of the incident reported by US news media throughout Tuesday and Wednesday suggested that Iranian speedboats, apparently belonging to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard navy, had made moves to attack three US warships entering the Strait and that the US commander had been on the verge of firing at them when they broke off.

Typical of the network coverage was a story by ABC's Jonathan Karl quoting a Pentagon official as saying the Iranian boats "were a heartbeat from being blown up."

Bush administration officials seized on the incident to advance the portrayal of Iran as a threat and to strike a more threatening stance toward Iran. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley declared Wednesday that the incident "almost involved an exchange of fire between our forces and Iranian forces." President George W. Bush declared during his Mideast trip Wednesday that there would be "serious consequences" if Iran attacked US ships and repeated his assertion that Iran is "a threat to world peace."

Central to the depiction of the incident as involving a threat to US warships is a mysterious pair of messages that the sailor who heard them onboard immediately interpreted as saying, "I am coming at you...," and "You will explode after a few minutes." But the voice in the audio clearly said "I am coming to you," and the second message was much less clear.

Furthermore, as the New York Times noted Thursday, the recording carries no ambient noise, such as the sounds of a motor, the sea or wind, which should have been audible if the broadcast had been made from one of the five small Iranian boats.

A veteran US naval officer who had served as a surface warfare officer aboard a US Navy destroyer in the Gulf sent a message to the New York Times on-line column "The Lede" Wednesday pointing out that in the Persian Gulf, the "bridge-to-bridge" radio channel used to communicate between ships "is like a bad CB radio" with many people using it for "hurling racial slurs" and "threats." The former officer wrote that his "first thought" was that the message "might not have even come from one of the Iranian craft."

Pentagon officials admitted to the Times that they could not rule out that the broadcast might have come from another source

The five Iran boats involved were hardly in a position to harm the three US warships. Although Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman described the Iranian boats as "highly maneuverable patrol craft" that were "visibly armed," he failed to note that these are tiny boats carrying only a two- or three-man crew and that they are normally armed only with machine guns that could do only surface damage to a US ship.

The only boat that was close enough to be visible to the US ships was unarmed, as an enlarged photo of the boat from the navy video clearly shows.

The US warships were not concerned about the possibility that the Iranian boats were armed with heavier weapons capable of doing serious damage. Asked by a reporter whether any of the vessels had anti-ship missiles or torpedoes, Vice Adm. Kevin Cosgriff, Commander of the 5th Fleet, answered that none of them had either of those two weapons.

"I didn't get the sense from the reports I was receiving that there was a sense of being afraid of these five boats," said Cosgriff.

The edited Navy video shows a crewman issuing an initial warning to approaching boats, but the footage of the boats maneuvering provides no visual evidence of Iranian boats "making a run on US ships" as claimed by CBS news Wednesday in its report based on the new video.

Vice Adm. Cosgriff also failed to claim any run toward the US ships following the initial warning. Cosgriff suggested that the Iranian boat's maneuvers were "unduly provocative" only because of the "aggregate of their maneuvers, the radio call and the dropping of objects in the water."

He described the objects dropped by the Iranian boat as being "white, box-like objects that floated." That description indicates that the objects were clearly not mines, which would have been dark and would have sunk immediately. Cosgriff indicated that the ships merely "passed by them safely" without bothering to investigate whether they were explosives of some kind.

The apparent absence of concern on the part of the US ships' commanding officers about the floating objects suggests that they recognized that the Iranians were engaging in a symbolic gesture having to do with laying mines.

Cosgriff's answers to reporters' questions indicated that the story promoted earlier by Pentagon officials that one of the US ships came very close to firing at the Iranian boats seriously distorted what actually happened. When Cosgriff was asked whether the crew ever gave warning to the Iranian boats that they "could come under fire," he said the commanding officers "did not believe they needed to fire warning shots."

As for the report circulated by at least one Pentagon official to the media that one of the commanders was "close to firing," Cosgriff explained that "close to" meant that the commander was "working through a series of procedures." He added, "n his mind, he might have been closing in on that point."

Despite Cosgriff's account, which contradicted earlier Pentagon portrayals of the incident as a confrontation, not a single news outlet modified its earlier characterization of the incident. After the Cosgriff briefing, Associated Press carried a story that said, " US forces were taking steps toward firing on the Iranians to defend themselves, said the US naval commander in the region. But the boats - believed to be from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard's navy - turned and moved away, officials said."

That was quite different from what Cosgriff actually said.

In its story covering the Cosgriff briefing, Reuters cited "other Pentagon officials, speaking on condition of anonymity" as saying that "a US captain was in the process of ordering sailors to open fire when the Iranian boats moved away" - a story that Cosgriff had specifically denied.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:29 am
This makes things a little interesting.

Quote:
Legal mist stokes US-Iran tensions in strait
By Kaveh L Afrasiabi
Jan 15, 2008

The recent, and escalating, tension between Iran and the US in the narrow corridor of the Strait of Hormuz has once again drawn attention to the strait's international maritime status, and to the ramifications of this tension as a flashpoint in the Middle East.

In a significant raising of the temperature, US President George W Bush on Sunday accused Iran of threatening security around the world by backing militants and urged his Gulf Arab allies to confront "this danger before it is too late".

Speaking in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates during his seven-nation tour of the Middle East, Bush said the US is strengthening its "security commitments with our friends in the Gulf" and "rallying friends around the world to confront this danger". He also called Iran "the world's leading state sponsor of terror".

Tension spiked markedly last week when Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) speedboats were involved in an "incident" with three US Navy vessels, which claimed they were international waters.

Yet there is no "international water" in the Strait of Hormuz, straddled between the territorial waters of Iran and Oman. The US government claimed, through a Pentagon spokesperson, Bryan Whitman, that the three US ships "transiting through the Strait of Hormuz" were provocatively harassed by the speedboats. This was followed by the Pentagon's release of a videotape of the encounter, where in response to Iran's request for ship identification, we hear a dispatch from one of the US ships stating the ship's number and adding that "we are in international waters and we intend no harm".

Thus there is the issue of the exact whereabouts of the US ships at the time of the standoff with the Iranian boats manned by the IRGC patrolling the area. According to Vice Admiral Kevin Cosgiff, the US ships were "five kilometers outside Iranian territorial waters". Yet, this is disputed by another dispatch from the US ships that states, "I am engaged in transit passage in accordance with international law."

Given that the approximately three-kilometer-wide inbound traffic lane in the Strait of Hormuz is within Iran's territorial water, the US Navy's invocation of "transit passage" harking back to the 1982 UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, (UNCLOS) is hardly surprising. [1]

Although the US has yet to ratify the UNCLOS, it has been a strong advocate of its provisions regarding navigational rights, thus explaining the US officers' availing themselves of "international law". [2]

It is noteworthy that in May 2006, Bush urged the US Congress to "act favorably on US accession to the convention". But, in light of the legal ramifications of the US-Iran standoff in the Persian Gulf, discussed below, opponents of the UNCLOS may have become emboldened. According to them, the convention "prohibits two functions vital to American security: collecting intelligence and submerged transit of territorial waters".

However, irrespective of how Congress acts on the pending legislation on UNCLOS, the fact is that the US cannot have its cake and eat it. That is, rely on it to defend its navigational rights in the Strait of Hormuz and, simultaneously, disregard the various limitations on those rights imposed by the UNCLOS - and favoring Iran. These include the following:

**Per Article 39 of the UNCLOS, pertaining to "duties of ships during transit passage" US ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz must "proceed without delay" and "refrain from any threat or use of force against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of states bordering the strait".

**Per Article 40, "During transit passage, foreign ships may not carry out any research or survey activity without the prior authorization of the states bordering the straits." And yet, by the US Navy's own admission, it has been conducting sonar activities in the area, to detect submerged vessels. This, in turn, has harmed the Persian Gulf's aquatic mammals. In light of a recent US court ruling limiting the US Navy's sonar activities off the California coast, Iran now has greater political leverage to seek information regarding the activities of US warships transiting through its territorial waters.

**Given the US's verbal acrobatics, of trying to depict as "international waters" what is essentially Iran's territorial water in the inbound traffic channel of the Strait of Hormuz, it collides with Article 34 of UNCLOS. This regards the "legal status of waters forming the straits used for international navigation", that strictly stipulates that the regime of passage "shall not affect the legal status of the waters forming such straits". Following the UNCLOS, Iran's territorial water extends 12 nautical miles at the Strait of Hormuz.

**The Pentagon videotape of the incident shows a US helicopter hovering above the US ships, which is in clear contradiction of Article 19 of the UNCLOS, which expressly forbids "the launching, landing or taking on board of any aircraft" during transit passage.

**Article 19, elaborating on the meaning of "innocent passage", states that "passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal state". And that means a prohibition on "any exercise or practice with weapons of any kind" and or "any act of harmful and serious pollution".

In other words, US warships transiting through Hormuz must, in effect, act as non-war ships, "temporarily depriving themselves of their armed might". And any "warning shots" fired by US ships at Iranian boats, inspecting the US ships under customary international laws, must be considered an infringement on Iran's rights. This technically warrants a legal backlash in the form of the Iranians temporary suspending the US warships' right of passage. Again, the US could be technically prosecuted by Iran in international forums for conducting questionable activities while in Iranian territorial waters.

**Under Article 25 of the UNCLOS, a "coastal state may take the necessary steps in its territorial sea to prevent passage which is not innocent ... the coastal state may suspend temporarily in specified areas of its territorial sea the innocent passage of foreign ships if such suspension is essential for the protection of its of security, including weapons exercise."

**Per Article 30, "If any warship does not comply with the laws and regulations of the coastal state concerning passage through the territorial sea and disregards any request for compliance therewith which is made to it, the coastal state may require it to leave the territorial sea immediately."

**Pursuant to Article 42 of the UNCLOS, "states bordering straits may adopt laws and regulations relating to transit passage" and "foreign ships exercising the right of transit passage shall comply with such laws and regulations." In this connection, Iran's 1993 maritime law echoes Article 20 of the UNCLOS: "In the territorial sea, submarines and other underwater vehicles are required to navigate on surface and to show their flag." Yet, disregarding both international law and Iran's laws, the US Navy until now has refused to comply with the requirement of surface passage of its submarines through the Strait of Hormuz.

In light of the above, the Strait of Hormuz has now turned into a most fertile source of tension and conflict between Iran and the United States, touching on the larger issue of international law of the sea and the navigational regime through the strait(s).

Iran could conceivably use its privileged geographical position to tap into the complex set of rules pertaining to the navigational regime, as a form of (geo) political leverage to wring concessions from the US Navy, and its regional allies, with respect to security and maritime affairs of the Persian Gulf.

Note 1. The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea strikes a balance between the sovereign rights of coastal states and the right of passage of foreign ships, requiring concessions from both sides. It prohibits passing ships from "any act aimed at collecting information or use and threat of force".

2. The Iranian press have complained of the US's intention to use the man-made, artificial islands by the United Arab Emirates for military purposes, to complement the US's forward base in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. They wonder if this has been one of the unstated purposes of Bush's visit to the region, given the brisk operational tempo of the US Navy with regard to Iran. This includes the US's plan to implement the provisions of its multilateral PSI (Proliferation Security Initiative) , such as ship interdiction, already exercised with regard to North Korea, with respect to Iran. Yet, the PSI initiative collides head-on with the UNCLOS-based limitations on the US Navy's activities in the semi-landlocked Persian Gulf and, especially in the Strait of Hormuz, discussed in this article.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JA15Ak02.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
xingu wrote:
This makes things a little interesting.

Quote:
Legal mist stokes US-Iran tensions in strait
By Kaveh L Afrasiabi
Jan 15, 2008

The recent, and escalating, tension between Iran and the US in the narrow corridor of the Strait of Hormuz has once again drawn attention to the strait's international maritime status, and to the ramifications of this tension as a flashpoint in the Middle East.

Has anyone ever considered a trans-Saudi oil pipeline so they can ship their oil from a port on the Red Sea???
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The F15 was first developed in the mid sixties. The F16, which was developed as a Lightweight Fighter (LWF) alternative to the F15 was developed in the mid seventies.

Still roughly the same era in fighter development.

InfraBlue wrote:
It's design was so radical at the time, what with its unstable but efficient design that required fly by wire technology, that it is far from obsolete, and is still produced in large numbers. The F15 was last produced in 1999.

How does the F35A not make the F16 obsolete? I'd be surprised if any F16s were produced after 2011.

The F15C isn't being produced because the F22 has entered service.

InfraBlue wrote:
According to fas.org the F16 could handle the payload of a 5,000 pound bomb, but of course it would need inflight refueling as its range would be limited.

Combat Radius [F-16C]

740 nm (1,370 km) w/ 2 2,000-lb bombs + 2 AIM-9 + 1,040 US gal external tanks

340 nm (630 km) w/ 4 2,000-lb bombs + 2 AIM-9 + 340 US gal external tanks

200 nm (370 km) + 2 hr 10 min patrol w/ 2 AIM-7 + 2 AIM-9 + 1,040 US gal external tanks

Four 2,000-pound bombs aren't necessarily the same as one 5,000-pound bomb.

Where would they put it, on the center mount below the engine?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 11:10 pm
oralloy wrote:

A decade is roughly the same era in fighter development. Yeah, right.

Quote:
How does the F35A not make the F16 obsolete? I'd be surprised if any F16s were produced after 2011.

The F-16 is not obsolete because it is still being produced. The F-35 hasn't supplanted it just yet.

Quote:

Actually, the GBU-28 isn't large in diameter, it's large in length at 14.5 inches in diameter and almost 19 feet long. The F-16's drop tanks are larger in diameter.
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/GBU-28_xxl.jpg
The issue is weight. The GBU-28 is beyond the weight limit of the F-16. The bomb would have to be employed by Israel's F-15's. High Seas' argument about the US' "F-15 Eagles falling apart" affecting Israel's deployment of it's fleet is a valid one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 06:48 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

A decade is roughly the same era in fighter development. Yeah, right.

Yes. The F14, F15, F16, and F18 are all roughly the same generation.

The subsequent generation is the F22 and F35.

The previous generation was the F4 Phantom of the Vietnam War. The generation before that was the Century Series -- the first supersonic fighters. And the generation before that was the subsonic jet fighters (like the F86) that fought in the Korean War.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The F-16 is not obsolete because it is still being produced. The F-35 hasn't supplanted it just yet.

The F22 has only supplanted the F15C.

The F15E will not be supplanted by the FB22 for the foreseeable future, and will thus be in use long after the F35A has replaced the F16, so perhaps it isn't obsolete yet either.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Actually, the GBU-28 isn't large in diameter, it's large in length at 14.5 inches in diameter and almost 19 feet long. The F-16's drop tanks are larger in diameter.
http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/GBU-28_xxl.jpg

Right, but if they didn't mount such a heavy bomb dead center, they'd have to mount two of them.

If they did try to mount a 5,000-pound bomb on an F16, I'm sure they'd want to mount only one.

InfraBlue wrote:
High Seas' argument about the US' "F-15 Eagles falling apart" affecting Israel's deployment of it's fleet is a valid one.

I haven't closely followed the news about the F15s failing. Are they ageing F15C's, or newer F15E's?

Israel would use F15E's to carry the 5,000-pound bombs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:02 am
oralloy wrote:
The F22 has only supplanted the F15C.

The F15E will not be supplanted by the FB22 for the foreseeable future, and will thus be in use long after the F35A has replaced the F16, so perhaps it isn't obsolete yet either.

Okay.

Quote:
. . . if they didn't mount such a heavy bomb dead center, they'd have to mount two of them.

This is a moot point, but one would be mounted on its center (with modifications to its pylon system) were the F-16 able to support the weight of the bomb.

http://home.elp.rr.com/infrablues/f-16danish.a.JPG

Quote:
I haven't closely followed the news about the F15s failing. Are they ageing F15C's, or newer F15E's?

Israel would use F15E's to carry the 5,000-pound bombs.

From Wikipedia

Quote:
On 2 November 2007, an F-15C from the 131st Fighter Wing crashed during a training operation in Missouri. The pilot ejected safely. The crash is initially believed to have been the result of an in-flight breakup due to structural failure. On 3 November 2007, all non-mission critical models of the F-15 were grounded pending the outcome of the crash investigation.[51] The following day, the grounding was extended to include non-mission critical F-15s currently engaged in combat missions in the Middle East.[52] By 13 November 2007 over 1,100 were grounded worldwide after Israel, Japan and Saudi Arabia grounded their aircraft as well.[53] By January 8, 2008, the USAF cleared the F-15E fleet and 60% of the F-15A-D fleet for return to flight.[54][37] On January 10, 2008, the accident review board released its report stating the November 2 crash was related to the longeron not meeting drawing specifications.[38]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-15_Eagle#Notable_accidents

It seems the Israeli F-15's would be back in business, also.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 05:54 am
The natanz facility is 75 feet underground and protected by many feet of reinforced concrete. The gbu 28 wont touch it.

As far as I know the Massive Ordnance Penetrator is not ready and only for US use.

Anyway the whole excercise is pointless, because now they know how to do it the Iranians will rebuild. Probably down a mine.

And of course having attacked Iran, it gives them the moral high ground and the justification of retalliation against Israel. If they did so with conventional weapons, would the Israelis use nuclear weapons against Tehran? Of course not. Stupidity.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:26 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
The natanz facility is 75 feet underground and protected by many feet of reinforced concrete.

Yes.

Steve 41oo wrote:
The gbu 28 wont touch it.

I disagree.

Steve 41oo wrote:
As far as I know the Massive Ordnance Penetrator is not ready and only for US use.

Only in the US arsenal.

I haven't heard, but I'd bet it was ready.

Steve 41oo wrote:
Anyway the whole excercise is pointless, because now they know how to do it the Iranians will rebuild. Probably down a mine.

That is why the long-term solution is to massively upgrade Israel's nuclear arsenal, so as to better deter against Iranian aggression.

Bombing Iran is just a short-term solution.

Steve 41oo wrote:
And of course having attacked Iran, it gives them the moral high ground

Not in my book. Smile

Steve 41oo wrote:
and the justification of retalliation against Israel.

Israel has been shelled before.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 06:57 am
An attack on Iran will not only give them the moral high ground but lead to a retaliation against us by Shiites and possibly some Sunnis that are closer to them than us. No one knows what form or course this retaliation will be (Iraq is a good example of this uncertanity). We're in enough deep s**t in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan that we don't need another war.

We have already attacked one Muslim nation based on a pack of lies and we have suffered grievously for it. Repeating this mistake may cost us far more.

Israel has been wanting us to attack Iran for some time now. She is very adamant about this. She obviously doesn't care one bit about how many Americans will die as a result of an attack on Iran. She doesn't care what the cost or consequenses to us will be so long as she still gets her 2.5+ billion dollars from us every year.

We don't need allies like Israel.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2008 07:47 am
xingu wrote:
We don't need allies like Israel.

This bears repeating. It is also worth repeating that Oralloy has a special fondness for Israel which makes him, in my never humble judgment, a biased commentator. Armchair generals are always safe in urging bellicose solutions which they themselves will not be required to implement by laying their own lives on the line. In that regard, someone such as Oralloy is no better than the Israelis in urging a course of action which won't risk his life any more than the lives of Israelis are risked by American action against the Persians. The most insane advice i've seen on this subject is Oralloy's suggestion that we beef up the Israeli nuclear arsenal. Yeah . . . right . . . those clowns have always displayed sterling military judgment . . . just ask the Lebanese . . .
0 Replies