Iran's illegal Nuclear Weapons Program

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:25 am
Quote:
There are and have been people living in the region of Palestine long before the creation of Israel.

In its current form, you are correct.

BUT, all archeological records point to the fact that the Jews were there thousands of years ago, and they never left.
There were Jews living in the region before Israel was created also.

But, I was specifically referring to this post by stevewonder...

Quote:
Given that Israel has wiped Palestine off the map

So I repeat my question.

Can you or anyone else point to a map that mentions a recognized COUNTRY named Palestine?
I dont mean the region of the world, but a specific, internationally recognized COUNTRY named Palestine?

No you cannot, because it never existed.
So, how could it have been "wiped off the map"?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:47 am
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
There are and have been people living in the region of Palestine long before the creation of Israel.

In its current form, you are correct.

BUT, all archeological records point to the fact that the Jews were there thousands of years ago, and they never left.
There were Jews living in the region before Israel was created also.

I've done studies in the archaeology of the pre-historic period in the Mediterranean Basin and I'm not sure what archaeological findings you refer to. Much is undetermined and likely undeterminable.

All the peoples of this region in the period you speak of were Semitic (or Afro-Asiatic, of which Semites are a branching sub-group).

If we wish to make a differentiation using Hebrew (a branch of Semitic) then we are pretty much going to have to depend on their verbal history later written down as the old testament. And if we do that, then we have Abraham's tribe moving into a region previously populated by other Semitic groups. The sole historical warrant for Hebrew ownership of this region at this time is that they said God gave it to them. The modern warrant is weapons.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:06 am
So then you dont believe the findings reporting how old the dead sea scrolls are?

Quote:
The Dead Sea Scrolls were most likely written by the Essenes during the period from about 200 B.C. to 68 C.E./A.D.

http://www.centuryone.com/25dssfacts.html

So that makes them as much as 2200 years old.
I dont know of any AUTHENTIC writings from that area that are older then that.
There may be, but I dont know of any.

There are other examples of Hebrew settelement in the area, sites like Meggido...

Quote:
A total of 20 cities were built at Megiddo, one above the other, over the course of 5,000 years of continuous occupation; from the time of the first settlement at the end of the 6th millennium BCE to its abandonment in the 5th century BCE

http://www.israel.org/MFA/History/Early%20History%20-%20Archaeology/Megiddo%20-%20The%20Solomonic%20Chariot%20City

Quote:
Megiddo reached its peak under King Solomon in the 10th century BCE. He rebuilt it as a royal city, administering the northern part of the kingdom. The building of Jerusalem, the capital, and of Hatzor, Megiddo and Gezer, as part of centralized urban planning, is recounted in the Bible:

Solomon was a Hebrew king.
Meggido was occupied by other nations and powers as well, I freely admit that.
BUT, it is a proven fact that the Hebrews occupied it for quite a long time.

There anre many other archeological digs in Israel, that show the Hebrews were there long before the creation of Israel.
And since the Jews are the Hebrews, according to their language and history, it is a fair statement to make that the Jews have lived in that area for thousands of years.

Here is a list of archeological digs in Israel that might interest you, digs covering the time from prehistoric man to the time of the crusades...

http://www.israel.org/MFA/History/Early%20History%20-%20Archaeology/Cumulative%20table%20of%20contents%20-%20Archeological%20Sites

As for Arab archeological sites in Israel, this might interest you...

http://www.israel.org/MFA/History/Early%20History%20-%20Archaeology/Ramla%20-%20Arab%20Capital%20of%20the%20Province%20of%20Palestine

Quote:
According to historical sources, Ramla was founded at the beginning of the 8th century by the Umayyad Calif Suleiman ibn Abd el-Malik. It served as the Umayyad and Abbasid capital of the Province of Palestine (Jund Filistin), and the seat of Arab governors of the province in the 8th and 9th centuries. In the 14th century, Ramla regained importance for a short time as the provincial capital of the Mamluks.

So Ramla is quite a bit younger then known Hebrew settlements and sites in Israel.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:31 am
Abraham and company arrived out of Mesopotamia somewhere likely around 4000 years ago. So there's the likely time frame for Hebrew's in the area of present Israel.

As regards sources for information on archaeology of the area (with legal and political ramifications for all sorts of present disagreements), you probably don't want to be turning to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:35 am
blatham wrote:
Abraham and company arrived out of Mesopotamia somewhere likely around 4000 years ago. So there's the likely time frame for Hebrew's in the area of present Israel.

As regards sources for information on archaeology of the area (with legal and political ramifications for all sorts of present disagreements), you probably don't want to be turning to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As far as I know, they list the sites.
That doesnt mean they are working the sites.

Or are you saying that since its an Israeli site that all the findings they report are wrong?
Science is science, and facts are facts, no matter who reports them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:07 pm
There are thousands of archaeological sites in these areas. Finding them isn't a problem.

As regards who you want to turn to regarding accounts of archaeological research, that would be the anthropoligical literature and sources, not a nation's department of foreign affairs where land claims issues are roiling about.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:11 pm
blatham wrote:
There are thousands of archaeological sites in these areas. Finding them isn't a problem.

As regards who you want to turn to regarding accounts of archaeological research, that would be the anthropoligical literature and sources, not a nation's department of foreign affairs where land claims issues are roiling about.

Agreed, unless its that dept that issues the permits and the permission for those digs.
Then it would be a good source to find out how many digs are goping on and where they are, wouldnt it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 12:24 pm
Why would you assume that the Foreign Affairs ministry would be responsible for issuing dig permits in Israel? That seems rather unlikely to me. And you might ask yourself, if it is true, just why it would fall in a ministry which has political functions rather than scientific functions.

In any case, I'll end off here.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 11:13 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
time appears to be running out for george bush to attack Iran. But is it too late?

In hopes that the archeological argument is over, I've bad news for you, Steve: except for candidate Obama the other 2 presidential candidates may be even more keen to bomb Iran.

Sen. McCain, in particular, has said: "The only thing worse than war with Iran is Iran armed with nuclear weapons."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DAMN!!!! Admiral Fallon is out...

Quote:
Adm. William J. Fallon, the top American commander in the Middle East whose views on Iran and other issues have seemed to put him at odds with the Bush administration, is retiring early, the Pentagon said Tuesday afternoon.

...and the article we linked here is to blame.....
Quote:

Urgent to Steve - take cover!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 03:28 am
I thought it was suspiciously quiet on the eastern front.

and now

Quote:
The article's author, Thomas Barnett, had predicted that if Admiral Fallon was pushed out of his job "it may well mean that the president and vice-president intend to take military action against Iran before the end of this year and don't want a commander standing in their way".

If the US and Israel attack Iran, it will endanger British forces in s Iraq. A couple of Iranian divisions crossing the border could take the whole lot captive.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:47 pm
That's WHY I said "take cover", duh!

Sad about the admiral, I really liked what he was saying:

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-BD304_oj_1ir_20080311195301.jpg
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120527897136528683.html?mod=djemEditorialPage
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 01:37 pm
from today's NYT :

Quote:
During a news briefing to announce the retirement of Admiral Fallon, a man hailed by the defense secretary as one of the most brilliant strategic minds in the military, Mr. Gates was asked whether the unexpected departure could be seen as a prelude to preparation for a war with Iran.

"It's just ridiculous," Mr. Gates responded.

secretary gates has spoken !
(might he also be preparing to spend more time with his family ?) .

reading the question and the answer given somewhat more carefully ... one could read something "between the lines" - could one not ?
hbg
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 03:31 pm
I actually checked Iranian news to see if they worry about Adm. Fallon's departure - and found this:

Quote:
....Tehran's police chief, Reza Zarei (photo), has been arrested after he was found nude in a local brothel with six naked prostitutes, ..................

Following the raid, Zarei stepped down from his post as police chief...............

Before he was arrested, Zarei was in charge of the programme for the 'moralisation of the city'.

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/03/another-prostitution-ring-busted-in.html

In fairness, our news last night also started with Spitzer - first things first, second things never Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 04:18 pm
...which proves that american and iranian officials have similar goals in mind when it comes to serving the public Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 06:38 am
I was listening to a live interview with two Iranians who spoke good English (annoyingly with a American accent!) from a park in Tehran. The line suddenly went dead and no explanation was given. Just a technical hitch I'm sure.

I wouldnt put it past Bush to do a little war dance on Iran before he goes. It would be a fitting end for this most disreputable of presidents.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 11:04 am
This is re-posted from the Obama '08 thread (page 1490) and may be of interest to those following the Iranian situation:

Quote:
georgeob1 wrote:
---------------------------------------
High Seas wrote:

The boy Jonathan and his whole kin should be grateful for that fate - if he had been, say, Iranian, he would have fried; no question about it. Yet Iran never spied on the US, bombarded a US ship, or spent the last 60 years on the beg-borrow-blackmail-steal program. And in the immortal words of Sherlock Holmes: "There is nothing lower than a blackmailer."

Some "elements" (as you put it) in the US are getting so fed up with this monstrous, costly, and cumulative catastrophe in the near East, that Obama, whatever his faults, sounds a lot better than his Republican opponent because he grasps that one single element of foreign policy (and domestic counterintelligence).

That was the point. Sorry I wasn't clearer before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
georgeob1 wrote:

I believe that the Administration has gone too far in publicly criticizing the government of Iran and in calling for sanctions over their nuclear weapons program, while, at the same time, refusing to speak officially with them -- a self-defeating combination. Their critics here have a real point in noting the contradiction inherent in these two positions and its bad effects. I can also think of many good reasons for avoiding unnecessary public associations with the present government of Iran, whose president has such an evident appetite for theatrics and thumbing his nose at us. It is a complex situation that requires a more complex and subtile policy than what we have done so far.

In contrast, the Administration has very effectively managed a complex dialogue with China, Japan, South Korea, and North Korea; occasionally involving a one-on-one dialogue with Pyonyang, when that was crucial, but otherwise sticking to the five-party talks which have been the key to our strategy. It is unfortunate that this level of skill and subtilty has not also been applied to Iran. (It is possible that the political "third rail" of the Israeli lobby may be involved here. Certainly there is plenty of evidence th believe they have an excessive influence on the Bush Administration.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reference is to Pollard (in jail for life, having waived his right to a trial in order to avoid the death penalty for treason) and to Kadish, now awaiting trial.
0 Replies