Fate??? KITTENS!!!!!! with added pics

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:23 pm
Oh, Vivien, I'm so sorry! As Misti says, take comfort from the fact that you did your utmost to make his short life a happy one.

Poor little Paddy.

Rosie sounds like a little toughie... I'm sure she will be fine.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:43 am
Oh, Vivien, I'm so sorry about Paddy ... How very sad for you, having tried so hard! The thing that comforts me is that Rosie appears to be doing wonderfully in your care. And that you & your husband are such good people that many critters will (no doubt!) find a haven in your home for years to come. (Such lucky critters! Very Happy )
Certainly what has happened is not your fault. It wasn't. You did your level best in difficult circumstances. The alternative was Paddy dying a very slow & painful death, without any compassionate human intervention. I could have been far more painful for him, poor little thing. He was lucky you found him.
Awww, what more can I say? .... apart from from I'm so sorry that this happened!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:37 am
Thanks to all of you for the sympathy.

I feel better now - 12 days of kitten isn't quite such a bereavement as 17 years of companionship - but he was so little and frail and dependent and it really upset me.

Rosie is doing fine. The vet on the last day suggested that Probiotic might be a good idea but she didn't have any (for Paddy) - I said 'like the yoghurt??' and she said yes.

I have been adding a little bit of live yoghurt to Rosie's feed and she is thriving on it - it keeps the enzymes and bacteria balanced and offsets the 'wrongness' of the formual compared to mums milk. I wish they had mentioned it earlier, but as it is cows milk based he may not have tolerated it well.

She now skips along after me when i go from room to room. She tires very quickly and is worrying when she's roaming because of her tiny size! She comes running when called, talking all the time!

Her 'nest' is the cat carrier which is perfect, as i shut her in it to snooze at work and at night for safety and she is quite happy and relaxed about it.

She is totally unfazed by car journeys - lets hope it continues. I intend to take her up to visit my parents regularly so she associates it with nice things - like being spoilt rotten with chicken and cream and stuff when she is big enough. If we have a cottage holiday then we can take her. if not - hotel grandparents for her![

She has now learnt to jump - very small leaps - and looks like a clockwork toy!/color]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:12 am
Vivien

Lucky Rosie! What a wonderful life she has in front of her! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:05 pm
Yes, Rosie sure sounds like our Lacey! Full of vim and vigor, and cute as a button!

Can't wait to see more pics as she grows:)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 05:33 am
ok misti - I've put 2 new and better pics of Rosie on Grove street, She was having a mad half hour and was beating himself up! :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 07:46 am
Oh, such a sweetie!! (New pics.) I'd love to kiss that fuzzy little belly.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
Awwwwwwwwww Viv, Rosie is beautiful, and thriving so well!

Yeah, David looks like he's ready to give her away, oh yeah, sure thing, he he he!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 01:56 pm
What a darling - and the kitten's cute, too Twisted Evil
Rosie is coming on nicely!

Wanna kitten! Wanna kitten!

Possum got a letter, through the week, from the vet - yes - addressed to him! On the back, there was a note, handwritten, saying they had a female bunny that was looking for a home, with a drawing of the bunny. Sheesh - the Poss-cat'd eat it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:07 pm
ohhhhh, look at her dad lovin' her. sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 08:34 am
margo wrote:
On the back, there was a note, handwritten, saying they had a female bunny that was looking for a home, with a drawing of the bunny. Sheesh - the Poss-cat'd eat it!

Timmy the cat we had when the girls were young was terrified of their pet rabbit when they got her - she kept lolloping up to him trying to make friends and he would back away until he reached the wall and then try and climb it backwards to get away!

You can train them to be house rabbits and use a litter tray.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:00 am
Vivien -- I'm so sorry to have been slow to read about Paddy. Awwwww, darn it. My condolences to you.

I hope things are still going well with Rosie -- she is such a beauty~ I love her markings! Have you decided if you'll get a companion kitty for her or not? Our cat Stripe, also a tabby, has lived alone and happily for years since his brother died. (He gets all the cat attention.) It does seem nice to have a pair -- we have two dogs from the same litter -- but you'd want to be careful to have them be compatible. I have a feeling she's loving being the only princess! Best wishes to her & you.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:19 pm
Piffka thanks.

Yes she is beautifully marked and very very affectionate. She thinks that when she is tired she should sleep in our arms and NOT in a basket/box/chair/whatever - and she can be very very insistent for something so tiny!

I got her to drink from a saucer a bit today because she wanted some banana milkshake! she wouldn't consider taking her formula from it though!

I have to work on this - advice anyone on getting her eating solids and drinking from a saucer? We've tried allsorts!

We are considering a companion for her. We need to wait until she is weaned and eating properly and look for a kitten the same age in a rescue centre.
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 03:32 pm
Vivien, I already have 2 cats, full grown. Next door in a vacant house a mother cat gave birth to 3 kittens. The white baby disappeared. I called the animal shelter which is very wanting. I asked for a trap. They came and caught the mother which I picked up and put in the cage. It is now 3 months later, and they have not returned for the 2 babies. The babies are getting big and I have been feeding them. I have really tried to get the shelter to bring a trap and they have failed to do so. I have these 2 kittens and they are mine now but they will not let me near them or touch them. I have named them. Good Luck with your new kittens. It is obvious that your husband will love those kittens also.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:02 pm
Vivien, I just read this thread all the way through. So sorry to hear about little Paddy. I'm glad that Rosie is doing well.

Many years ago I adopted a very young kitten (four weeks old) who had been rescued from drowning. Little Patty was the sweetest most loving animal I've ever known. She was companion to my older cat, Miranda. Once the hisses and yowling subsided, Miranda showed Patty the ropes. Eating from a bowl, using the litterbox. Patty used to suck on of Miranda's toes. I guess it was a substitute for nursing. Such sweetness.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:15 pm
Yeah, I miss the kitten stage ... they are just too cute for words, and so dependent!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:46 am
Roberta wrote:
Patty used to suck on of Miranda's toes. I guess it was a substitute for nursing. Such sweetness.

Very Happy how adorable.

Rosie is still resisting saucers! she caught on to a litter box brilliantly and loves praise. she just wants her milk via the syringe. maybe alttle friend scoffing from a saucer is what she needs - me me me would hopefully make her try it?

she's still tiny but so much bigger than she was
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:24 pm
Hi Viv ... I think you're right, they learn so much from each other.

Paddy found out he was a cat, via Lacey! Lacey isn't afraid of anything, so he watches her like a hawk, and learns!

Soooooooooooo, maybe a little friend for Rosie is on the horizon?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
I spoke to the Cats Protection people, who take in stray cats. and they said DON'T get another kitten until Rosie has her first injections as she could catch something and we could lose her - so we'll have to wait a couple of weeks more. They are then very happy to let us have a kitten of a suitable age.

I have left her at home for the last 2 days and run home from work at lunchtime to feed her. I left a saucer down in case she got hungry enough to try it in the meantime. I think she has had a little practice as she wanted my breakfast cereal today and so i let her have the last bit of milk and she lapped it up very efficiently. The next feed i gave her in the dish and she was great. EUREKA!!!!!! I have to hold the dish and tell her how clever she is Rolling Eyes Next hurdle is solid kitten food.

She's also learnt to climb the stairs - David went up for a shave and looked down to find she'd followed him!

One thing the CP people advised was not allowing her to bite us (because she was feral particulalry). Well she loves to play and nibble your fingers and knows when to stop (when you yell OOOOWWW!) and does stop. She also has enough judgement to know that i don't want my nose bitten or bopped whereas David loves it - I can't see that it matters can you? Timmy always loved to play like that and never hurt anyone. She needs to play bless her.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 01:22 pm
Vivien

Don't rush! Now that she's knoows she can get a drink from your plate, and can eat from a bowl, the next step may be solid kitten food, but the one after that, I'm afraid, is your food! Shocked

You'll never eat in peace again! (can you hear the voice of experience here!? Confused )

Still - I wanna kitten; wanna kitten!
0 Replies