Fate??? KITTENS!!!!!! with added pics

Vivien

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:09 am
Misti will know that i have desperately wanted two kittens for ages. Sadly our cats (each 17) died and with the death of the second one my husband refused to consider any more. He was devastated at her death.

Well ..... i came home from late night shopping last night to find 3 women with a box, looking for a neighbour who works with animal rescue - he's away on holiday. Fate????

they had 2 tiny kittens, only 2-3 weeks old, whose mother had died - they had a Rottweiler and couldn't keep them.

My husband said NO but i took them in overnight saying that i could take them to the animal rescue/RSPCA today.

He wouldn't look at them last night but did this morning but still wouldn't touch them or get involved.

I haven't been to the RSPCA but to the vet! I fed them overnight according to the emergency instructions on the net and now have the proper formula. they are doing well and are absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know what David will say when he gets home or how i am going to cope with 3 hourly feeds and toiletting - watch this space! So far so good.

The girl, tabby, weighs just 250g and the male, ginger, 200g - i think he was the runt of the litter as he is much more of a baby. His sister is very alert and responsive.

They are at the staggering about but not yet walking properly stage.

I do so want to keep them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 25,193 • Replies: 350
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:13 am
Good luck!!!!!! Go kittens - win his heart!

Girl kittens are generally much stronger than boy kittens - so the breeders say - they do better when there is adversity that the boys.

Have they tried the silent miaow thingy on your husband yet?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:20 am
No - that is a killer isn't it? makes the strongest man go weak at the knees!

They were both hollering and shouting at the tops of their voices as he left for work this morning as they were being fed from a teaspoon, the emergency milk.water, sugar mix! they now have a syringe and proper formula and are much much easier to feed.

Just hope he doesn't spot the fleas! I have some stuff that i have to spray onto rubber gloves and then stroke them with it but they are blissfully asleep and i haven't the heart to disturb them at the moment.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:33 am
Disturb! Fleas are a major passion killer in the romance between man and cat....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:35 am
Such tiny babies! Wow!

Do you know how long they have been motherless?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:01 am
Well, naturally you can't turn them over to some unreliable stranger before they are weened from the bottle. Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:26 pm
I can't turn them over at all to anybody!!! Twisted Evil

David came home and simply said 'where are they?' - I think he's got me sussed! :wink:

I managed to get him to hold them a little bit and he is thawing - once they are runnning around he'll fall under their spell - the silent miaow if ever they perfect it would do it! (at the moment they are busy working on the loud protesting miaow). Casey had the silent miaow off to a fine art (the one he's still heartbroken over and the reason he didn't want these).

They are taking their cat milk really well and getting more and more responsive

Soz the women said they 'hadn't had anything to eat all day' and it seems their mother was killed - I don't know how. They certainly were starving and the smaller one was a bit weak last night - both much livelier today.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Disturb! Fleas are a major passion killer in the romance between man and cat....

Laughing
good point!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:42 pm
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Very Happy

Good luck with them and Himself, Vivien. I think you may have gotten to him already if he's held them. Names? Perhaps if you had him help with names... or named one after his mother? So great for you and for the kittens to keep two from the same litter.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:49 pm
Right. Get him to name at least one. It worked with my boss and Barney.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 12:50 pm
The girl is Rosie and .... sorry Misti ... the ginger is Paddy ( David is Irish)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:21 pm
My girl kitty is named Rosie, too. Mine are indoor cats, but nevertheless I spotted a flea on one of them yesterday. I just squirted some of that liquid flea-killer-stuff on the back of her neck where she can't reach it. (I watched her try for about ten minutes. Aaarrgh! She is going to pull a muscle if she doesn't stop!) She is sitting here beside me right now, giving me a look that clearly says, "You have betrayed me."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:30 pm
Hey, my cats are indoor cats, too. Barney snuck out (Barney is the troublemaker) when I opened the door. You should have seen the reproachful looks I was getting from the other two.

We seem to have very little problem with fleas here. Can't say if it's the altitude or the low humidity, but we're very lucky.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:33 pm
Yay, kittens!!!

I'd love a kitten - but his bosscatness would probably eat it! He tries to fill the kitten role, which is a bit scary (and sometimes painful) at his size Confused
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:03 pm
Wow, Just a few weeks old. Ya gots da patience of a saint if you take on something like that. Best of luck to the you and the lil furballs! Wink

(Wot? No pics yet? Very Happy )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
Rosie's a good name. Wink

Vivien, the reason I asked is because if there is a large (or even medium-sized) gap between motherlove and good care, the kittens can be severely compromised both physically (health issues) and emotionally. It sounds like it was just a matter of a day or so, and that the intervening care wasn't so bad, either.

Good luck to the little guys!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:57 pm
Oh, this is Vivien's chance for some serious bonding.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:02 am
Very Happy thanks for all the interest - I loved Margo's cat thinking it is a kitten! Casey was a similar shape but long haired, and never realised she wasn't still a baby, even at 17, David always tried to say she wasn't fat it was just her fur Shocked HEAVY fur!

Rosie and Paddy are doing really well so far. Yes Soz I took them to the vet because of issues with how young they are - if they were going to suffer for it I would rather have let them go to a cat foster mother if they could find one. The vet said it should be fine. I didn't name them until then! it seemed like tempting fate.

They are bonding beautifully and getting more lively and stronger. As i get near talking to them they look up with their little pansy faces and try desperately to get to me. Rosie can sit up neatly now and climb out of the box (which has very high sides) if she sees me coming. Paddy is much smaller and more babyish and doesn't attempt it yet but they both snuggle up to me and we have a bit of 'quality' time cuddling after their feed!

They are very very vocal - we are getting the language sorted now - i know the food demands or discomfort from the I want some attention and they make little squeaks and miaows in response as you talk to them which is really endearing.

The Animal rescue lot found 4 other kittens from the litter and they are being looked after by others.

I will take some photos asap - not that I'm biased at all :wink: - but i think they are the world's most gorgeous kittens!

I had to take them to work because of the 3 hourly feeding - no one has objected so far. It should be ok in a another week or two to leave them. The vet said start solid food next week - kitten food with water mixed in.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
I got David to hold Rosie today while I fed Paddy - I can't persuade him to feed them but he was stroking Rosie and talking to her so his resolve is crumbling. She'll get to him, she's got the sweetest little face.

where are misti and rae?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
0 Replies