Guns and the Supreme Court

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:16 am
If we didn't have guns, people would have to throw bullets.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
Guns don't kill people, bullets do it. Further, it is only the front tip of the bullet that kills a person.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:35 pm
Advocate you said

Quote:
A very potent argument compares the USA to countries with very strict gun control. In the latter, the deaths from guns, or any other means, are a tiny fraction of ours.

I understand that "gun deaths" are lower in countries w/o guns. No one has ever argued that that is untrue. What people, myself included, have argued. What we have always said is that people will find a way to murder someone if they truely intend to.

You specifically said "or any other means", but when I asked you about your statement you only provided me gun related deaths.

Typical I guess.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:58 pm
My theory is that the very easy accessibility of guns breeds lawlessness in our society. Thus, people here are more likely to carry and use other weapons.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 12:59 pm
Advocate wrote:
My theory is that the very easy accessibility of guns breeds lawlessness in our society. Thus, people here are more likely to carry and use other weapons.

So, what are you proposing?

Take away ALL guns?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:07 pm
No! I do favor stricter gun control.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:08 pm
Advocate wrote:

Such as?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:09 pm
maporsche wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Such as?

Please first tell me what you favor, and why?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:13 pm
Advocate wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Such as?

Please first tell me what you favor, and why?

So I can debate with you the merits and problems with the gun control measures you support. Why else?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:25 pm
You misread my request. I didn't ask you for the reasons for your requests.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:29 pm
Advocate wrote:

You are correct. I read your comment too fast. My apologies.

We can start with the gun show, or private party sale loophole.

I am in favor of closing this loophole and requiring people to submit to background checks in all firearm purchases.

If you agree with this gun control measure, please say so and mention another gun control measure you would like to see.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:37 pm
maporsche wrote:
Advocate wrote:

I am in favor of closing this loophole and requiring people to submit to background checks in all firearm purchases.

If you agree with this gun control measure, please say so and mention another gun control measure you would like to see.

I strongly agree with the reform you mention.

There should be a limit on the number of guns an individual may buy in a month. A dealer can now, I believe, buy say 30 handguns at once and then peddle them in the inner city.

Records of gun licensing should be retained. At present, they must be destroyed after a day.

Right to carry should be restricted to those who have an overriding need for this.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
Advocate wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Advocate wrote:

I strongly agree with the reform you mention.

There should be a limit on the number of guns an individual may buy in a month. A dealer can now, I believe, buy say 30 handguns at once and then peddle them in the inner city.

I disagree with this reform. I think if we closed the private sale loophole then this person could be prosecuted under that law, no need for a new one.

Quote:

Records of gun licensing should be retained. At present, they must be destroyed after a day.

I could use some more information on what you mean here. I am not familiar with laws stating that records of licensing must be destroyed after a day.

Quote:

Right to carry should be restricted to those who have an overriding need for this.

This statement is vague. An "overriding need" can be intrepreted in many different ways. I would interpret my "overriding need" to live as a need.

I believe the right to carry should be available to anyone who wants to carry, and has demonstrated functional ability to properly work their weapon. For example, for my CCW permit in AZ I had 16 hours of classes dealing with the operation of a firearm, the laws pertaining to firearms, safety, storage, etc, and had to hit a target 20 times from 5 and 10 feet. I feel that this requirement is more than sufficient to allow CCW permits.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:48 pm
This statement is vague. An "overriding need" can be intrepreted in many different ways. I would interpret my "overriding need" to live as a need.

That is a bit vague, too.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 02:50 pm
Advocate wrote:

That is a bit vague, too.

I guess that was my point.

Who do you think has an overriding need to a CCW permit. If we're talking about new regulations, specifics will be required.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:54 pm
Who has an overriding need to carry a device designed to kill another human being?

A policeman?

That's all imo.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:31 pm
McTag wrote:
Who has an overriding need to carry a device designed to kill another human being?

A policeman?

That's all imo.

Why them?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:25 pm
Advocate wrote:
A very potent argument compares the USA to countries with very strict gun control. In the latter, the deaths from guns, or any other means, are a tiny fraction of ours.

That is incorrect. It is true that the presence of guns increases gun deaths, as many people who would have killed with a knife or other non-gun weapon used a gun instead. But that does not mean that the presence of guns has much influence on the overall homicide rate.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:26 pm
Advocate wrote:
Please consider:

Friday, April 17, 1998
U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

So? They'd be just as dead if they were stabbed to death.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:34 pm
Advocate wrote:

There is no licensing. If there were, the records would certainly be retained for at least the duration that the license was held.

Advocate wrote:

There is no rational reason to deny a citizen in good standing the ability to carry a gun.
0 Replies