Guns and the Supreme Court

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:25 pm
Michigan and a majority of states believe it reduces violence. More follow suit every day Set. I'm asking for a new ankle holster for my Chief's Special for Christmas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:37 pm
That, of course, is no proof at all. Do "Michigan and a majority of states" pass laws because politicians routinely look for the most intelligent solution to problems, or because they pander to idiots who might vote for them? Don't bother to answer, i already know the answer to that one.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:42 pm
In this case the intelligent folks won the debate. Sorry if you disagree Set, I can't fix stupid.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
In this case the intelligent folks won the debate. Sorry if you disagree Set, I can't fix stupid.

Obviously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
Obviously, or you'd have done something about yourself a long time ago. As i have pointed out, that does not constitute proof that concealed weapons act as a deterrent to handgun violence. Keep trying to piss down my leg and tell me it's raining, but don't expect it to work.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:46 pm
You are both idiots and that much is obvious to anyone with even a half a brain based in reality. It is the most basic of human rights to protect our life using ANY MEANS at our disposal. You obviously disagree with that, and thus, idiots.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:48 pm
Yeah, right. So if i can protect my life by nuking Michigan, and thus ridding the world of YOU, that is my basic human right? Nice work, bright boy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:49 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You are both idiots and that much is obvious to anyone with even a half a brain based in reality. It is the most basic of human rights to protect our life using ANY MEANS at our disposal. You obviously disagree with that, and thus, idiots.

If only you had half a brain based in reality, Cj, your comments might be taken more seriously. But, you wouldn't be so slavishly wedded to your dream of someday shooting someone.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:51 pm
That's really what's going on here, isn't it? He has a secret fantasy of shooting a black man who speaks Spanish as he is riding by on his bicycle, loitering with intent. He sees himself as a hero, and is anxious to prove it to the world.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:53 pm
I'm happy for you Set. Do you masturbate often?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

If only you had half a brain based in reality, Cj, your comments might be taken more seriously. But, you wouldn't be so slavishly wedded to your dream of someday shooting someone.

Cycloptichorn

Yeah, right between the eye. Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yeah, right. So if i can protect my life by nuking Michigan, and thus ridding the world of YOU, that is my basic human right? Nice work, bright boy.

BTW, this is a terroristic threat. Much moreso than my goodnatured poke at the eyeball.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 06:18 am
McTag wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
There is hardly a more worthless human activity than wasting one's time arguing with gun nuts how easy access to firearms affects the crime rate. For one, no such correlation could ever be proven or disproven.

Certainly, the availability of guns in the US contributes adversely to gun violence.

And the availability of cars contributes to car accidents.

And the availability of peanuts contributes to peanut butter.

You're simply stating the obvious.

And you are avoiding the obvious, which is that unlike these other products, the principal function of the gun is to kill people. That's what it is designed to do.

The principal function of a hunting gun is to kill game animals.

The principal function of a defensive gun is to incapacitate an attacker as rapidly as possible.

The principal function of a target-shooting gun is to hit a non-living object.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:08 am
Thomas wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Certainly, the availability of guns in the US contributes adversely to gun violence.

cjhsa wrote:
Everywhere that guns laws have been relaxed the the US has seen a reduction in crime. When make guns illegal for law abiding citizens, criminals know they have an easy mark. It's so obvious it's stupid.

I don't know how many people in this thread care enough about this to check their convictions against actual data from the real world. But for those who do, I'd like to add a pointer to the best review of the statistical literature I know about the impact of gun ownership on violence. It comes from the National Academy of Sciences and is titled Firearms and Violence: A Critical Review. A browseable version of the book is available here.

In a nutshell, the authors find that while passions on both sides run high, the empirical findings so far give neither side much of a case.

On page 2 of their executive summary, the authors wrote:
The committee found that answers to some of the most pressing questions cannot be addressed with existing data and research methods, however well designed. For example, despite a large body of research, the committee found no credible evidence that the passage of right-to-carry laws decreases or increases violent crime, and there is almost no empirical evidence that the more than 80 prevention programs focused on gun-related violence have had any effect on children's behavior, knowledge, attitudes, or beliefs about firearms. The committee found that the data available on these questions are too weak to support unambiguous conclusions or strong policy statements.

Source

That is what I understand the facts to be too -- not much difference one way or another.

Thomas wrote:
Full disclosure: I like the theory behind a broad right to bear arms, and I'd very much like to see that concealed handguns deter more crime than they enable. But facts are stubborn things -- and in this case, they stubbornly refuse to say what I want them to say. It's cold comfort for me that they just as stubbornly refuse to say what Roxanne wants them to say.

Well, it depends. She said "gun violence". The availability of guns does contribute to the category of "gun violence" in that killings that would have been done with a knife or other non-gun weapon, were done with a gun simply because the gun was available.

But there isn't much to support a contention that the availability of guns contributes to "overall violence". If guns aren't available, people still seem to find a way to do their killings, just with different weapons.

(However, even if there were reason to believe that the availability of guns really did make things worse, the right to have guns would still be more important.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
By the way, I think all the briefs, amici curiae, etc, have been filed with the court now (or at least most of them have). If anyone wants to read the various written arguments by both sides, they are available here:

http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/pleadings.html
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:10 am
A very potent argument compares the USA to countries with very strict gun control. In the latter, the deaths from guns, or any other means, are a tiny fraction of ours.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:14 am
Advocate wrote:
A very potent argument compares the USA to countries with very strict gun control. In the latter, the deaths from guns, or any other means, are a tiny fraction of ours.

A tiny fraction? Please elaborate by showing these countries with very strict gun control and their statistics.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:45 am
One thing you have to keep in mind is that the idea of a militia was very far from being any sort of an organ of any government; it was in fact a citizen's group intended to prevent tyranny either from without or from within and meant to act as a check on the power of governments.
-gungasnake

Then why do you suppose that framers of the Constitution gave Congress the power to organize, arm, and discipline "the militia"?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:12 am
Does anyone know if in the background checks they look for any mental trouble before letting someone buy guns? Considering the recent Illinois shooting from a young man who seemed to be ok but after the fact finding out he went off his medication; it just seems a question to be glaring to me.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/e098752a-5338-4149-91de-da3a1c984c38_ms.jpeg

Quote:
Steven Kazmierczak's quiet, dependable and fun-loving exterior masked troubling details from his past that emerged as a stunned community struggled to understand what caused the 27-year-old to open fire on a class at Northern Illinois University, leaving six people dead.

A former employee at a Chicago psychiatric treatment center said Kazmierczak was placed there after high school by his parents. She said he used to cut himself, and had resisted taking his medications.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:13 am
maporsche wrote:
Advocate wrote:

A tiny fraction? Please elaborate by showing these countries with very strict gun control and their statistics.

Please consider:

Friday, April 17, 1998
U.S. Leads Richest Nations In Gun Deaths

BY CHELSEA J. CARTER
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA -- The United States has by far the highest rate of gun deaths -- murders, suicides and accidents -- among the world's 36 richest nations, a government study found.
The U.S. rate for gun deaths in 1994 was 14.24 per 100,000 people. Japan had the lowest rate, at .05 per 100,000.
The study, done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the first comprehensive international look at gun-related deaths. It was published Thursday in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The CDC would not speculate why the death rates varied, but other researchers said easy access to guns and society's acceptance of violence are part of the problem in the United States.
``If you have a country saturated with guns -- available to people when they are intoxicated, angry or depressed -- it's not unusual guns will be used more often,'' said Rebecca Peters, a Johns Hopkins University fellow specializing in gun violence. ``This has to be treated as a public health emergency.''
The National Rifle Association called the study shoddy because it failed to examine all causes of violent deaths.
``What this shows is the CDC is after guns. They aren't concerned with violence. It's pretending that no homicide exists unless it's related to guns,'' said Paul Blackman, a research coordinator for the NRA in Fairfax, Va.
The 36 countries chosen were listed as the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, with the highest GNP per capita income.
The study used 1994 statistics supplied by the 36 countries. Of the 88,649 gun deaths reported by all the countries, the United States accounted for 45 percent, said Etienne Krug, a CDC researcher and co-author of the article.
Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. Police often raid the homes of those suspected of having weapons.
The study found that gun-related deaths were five to six times higher in the Americas than in Europe or Australia and New Zealand and 95 times higher than in Asia.
Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05.
0 Replies