Guns and the Supreme Court

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 04:19 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
McTag wrote:
What does it boil down to, the gun debate in America?

"I support the right of my fellow citizens to possess the means of shooting holes in me,
as long as I can have the means of shooting holes in them"?

That would almost make sense if everyone was 100% rational, all of the time.

But they're not, and it doesn't.

It means that everyone shud be prepared
to handle an emergency; their lives depend on it.

Its better to HAVE emergency equipment
and not need it,
than to NEED emergency equipment and not HAVE it.

The State of Alaska repealed all of its gun laws a few years ago.
Crime dropped.
Criminals don 't like to get shot by dissatisfied victims.
During interviews in prisons, criminals are very open about admitting this.

There is NO chance at all that criminals will be disarmed.
U might as well try to make gold out of water.
David

Right. So somebody tries to steal your wallet (or your hubcaps, or anything) because he is poor, desperate, or deranged, and you feel justified in shooting at him (with your dumdum bullets).

A court, on conviction, could not sentence him to death but you feel justified in using a firearm.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 05:16 am
McTag wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
McTag wrote:

"I support the right of my fellow citizens to possess the means of shooting holes in me,
as long as I can have the means of shooting holes in them"?

It means that everyone shud be prepared
to handle an emergency; their lives depend on it.

Its better to HAVE emergency equipment
and not need it,
than to NEED emergency equipment and not HAVE it.

The State of Alaska repealed all of its gun laws a few years ago.
Crime dropped.
Criminals don 't like to get shot by dissatisfied victims.
During interviews in prisons, criminals are very open about admitting this.

There is NO chance at all that criminals will be disarmed.
U might as well try to make gold out of water.
David

Right. So somebody tries to steal your wallet (or your hubcaps, or anything)
because he is poor, desperate, or deranged,
and you feel justified in shooting at him (with your dumdum bullets).

A court, on conviction, could not sentence him to death
but you feel justified in using a firearm.

Yes.
Such is the distinction between defense and retributive vengeance.

( Alternatively, we might employ the use of smartsmart bullets,
as long as we achieve an optimal energy dump into the target,
whose desperation may well abate soon thereafter, depending on shot placement. )

David
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:49 am
McTag wrote:

"I support the right of my fellow citizens to possess the means of shooting holes in me, as long as I can have the means of shooting holes in them"?

Actually, it boils down to whether the Constitution should be obeyed or scrapped, and I believe that every single word and punctuation mark should be obeyed whether I agree with it or not. If I disagree with something in the Constitution, then maybe I'll try and get an amendment passed, but I am absolutely committed to the idea that it will be obeyed.

The 2nd Amendment says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. That is simple language. This idea that it only means that armies can have guns is a recent attempt by some people to find a pretext to ignore it. It couldn't possibly be more clear that the Bill of Rights was intended to give the individual people the means to limit the power of the government over them. I suppose that next the rights of freedom of speech and religion will be said to be referring to the rights of states and not individuals.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 07:17 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
We the people have the constitutional right to bear arms - period!

http://www.athenswater.com/images/LE6920-COLT.jpg

McGentrix wrote:

Pretty cheap here...

Airsoft toys Laughing

No thanks, I'll stick with Colt - it's the real thing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 07:24 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
No thanks, I'll stick with Colt - it's the real thing.

I've got a Bushmaster AR15 that I am quite fond of.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 07:27 am
No matter what firearm(s) you own or plan to own, make sure that you are proficient with them.
Know how to use it, maintain it and make it safe - - get plenty of ammo and practice often.

Stay safe ~

My personal favorite long arm is the M14... mine has been modernized Cool

http://www.athenswater.com/images/MK14Mod1-small.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:18 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:

"I support the right of my fellow citizens to possess the means of shooting holes in me, as long as I can have the means of shooting holes in them"?

Actually, it boils down to whether the Constitution should be obeyed or scrapped, and I believe that every single word and punctuation mark should be obeyed whether I agree with it or not. If I disagree with something in the Constitution, then maybe I'll try and get an amendment passed, but I am absolutely committed to the idea that it will be obeyed.

The 2nd Amendment says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. That is simple language. This idea that it only means that armies can have guns is a recent attempt by some people to find a pretext to ignore it. It couldn't possibly be more clear that the Bill of Rights was intended to give the individual people the means to limit the power of the government over them. I suppose that next the rights of freedom of speech and religion will be said to be referring to the rights of states and not individuals.

This seems like mixed-up thinking to me.

The right of the people to bear arms was to allow them to be part of a militia, that means, to face an external threat.
That part has been well superseded in the course of three centuries and now seem wellnigh redundant to me.

Also to quote this "the Bill of Rights was intended to give the individual people the means to limit the power of the government over them" seems to indicate to me that you would be willing to take up arms against the National Guard if "the government" sent them into your neighbourhood.
Is that remotely realistic?

I think US gun owners should stop playing at being Davy Crockett, and look at the damage they are doing.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:22 am
McTag wrote:

I think US gun owners should stop playing at being Davy Crockett, and look at the damage they are doing.

Shocked What damage ??

http://www.athenswater.com/images/PYTHON-03.17.2008c.jpg

The right to bear arms in the US is intended to allow the citizens to protect against internal threats.
Our military protects us from external threats. At least that's the way it is intended to work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:27 am
My interpretation of the Constitution is this:
When the Constitution was written, the only way to form and keep a militia was for the citizens to provide their own guns. I doubt state governments had the cash. Today, state militias already have the weapons. They only need bodies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:04 am
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:

The right of the people to bear arms was to allow them to be part of a militia, that means, to face an external threat.

The purpose of the militia also includes law enforcement and fighting internal revolution.

And our gun rights include personal self defense unrelated to the militia.

McTag wrote:
That part has been well superseded in the course of three centuries and now seem wellnigh redundant to me.

The only thing that could supersede it is a Constitutional amendment.

McTag wrote:

They aren't doing any damage.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:05 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
What do u intend to get ?

I have found revolvers to be much more
mechanically reliable than pistols.

My own taste goes to a .44 revolver
loaded with .44 special hollowpointed slugs,
to optimize energy dump into the target.

David

Something that takes no real skill to kill and offers me the best chance of blowing away an intruder.

I'm thinking a shotgun

Rifles blow through Kevlar. Shotguns don't.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:09 am
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:

Also to quote this "the Bill of Rights was intended to give the individual people the means to limit the power of the government over them" seems to indicate to me that you would be willing to take up arms against the National Guard if "the government" sent them into your neighbourhood.
Is that remotely realistic?

The Constitution says that the right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed. That is simple and clear. You cannot say that the sentence isn't there, because it is. The founders put many features into the Constitution designed to give the people the ability to limit and resist the power of the government over them, and in particular the Bill of Rights part fits that description. One could say quite a lot about the "realism" argument, but in the end it's irrelevant. We obey the document - period. We don't pick and choose the parts that we like.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:13 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Today, state militias already have the weapons. They only need bodies.

Not quite. Today there are no state militias (and the states violate our rights by not having them).
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:44 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

The Constitution says that the right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed.

That is simple and clear.

~ the right of the people to own and bear arms shall not be infringed ~

Homeland Defense Weapons ~ (HDW)

http://www.athenswater.com/images/3-HDWs.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:46 am
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Not quite. Today there are no state militias (and the states violate our rights by not having them).

Supplanted by the National Guard, something bigger and better. Which to me fulfills the criterion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Which to me fulfills the criterion.

You are mistaken. The Constitutional criteria for the militia limit it to serving only within US borders. The National Guard serves outside US borders.

The Second Amendment says militiamen can keep their weapons at home. National Guardsmen are not allowed to take their M-16s home.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:08 am
H2O....I own very similar HDW.

Pistol (Glock 23)
Shotgun (Mossburg 500)
Rifle (Bushmaster AR15)

All 3 I feel are required for ultimate protection for a variety of emergency situations (burglery, katrina-like event, or worse).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Actually, that isnt totally true.
California DOES have a state militia, and it has its own website...

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/Pages/intro.aspx

Quote:
We're an all-volunteer State Defense Force whose primary mission is to support the California National Guard in its Homeland Defense and Homeland Security missions.

Quote:
High Demands, High Satisfaction
Soldiers in the CSMR are sworn members of the California Military Department. Applicants must be California residents, be in good health and physically capable of performing the CSMR mission

So California has its own military dept.

Quote:
We offer you the chance to use your skills and learn new ones in defense of California.

So they want to be able to defend themselves, instead of letting the US military do it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:20 am
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Which to me fulfills the criterion.

You are mistaken. The Constitutional criteria for the militia limit it to serving only within US borders. The National Guard serves outside US borders.

The Second Amendment says militiamen can keep their weapons at home. National Guardsmen are not allowed to take their M-16s home.

I'm not totally mistaken. As circumstances shift, so does adherance to matters of the Constitution, which is the way it was planned from the beginnng.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
mysteryman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Actually, that isnt totally true.
California DOES have a state militia, and it has its own website...

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/casmr/Pages/intro.aspx

Quote:
We're an all-volunteer State Defense Force whose primary mission is to support the California National Guard in its Homeland Defense and Homeland Security missions.

Quote:
High Demands, High Satisfaction
Soldiers in the CSMR are sworn members of the California Military Department. Applicants must be California residents, be in good health and physically capable of performing the CSMR mission

So California has its own military dept.

Quote:
We offer you the chance to use your skills and learn new ones in defense of California.

So they want to be able to defend themselves, instead of letting the US military do it?

Are they issued automatic rifles (or allowed to purchase them for themselves) and allowed to keep them at home?

Are they an armed force at all? Many states have such state guard organizations, but they are completely unarmed.

An unarmed militia is contrary to the Second Amendment.
0 Replies