• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:39 am
Quote:
But Mr. Rumsfeld still has his admirers. On Saturday he delivered the keynote address to the annual Claremont Institute dinner in honor of Winston Churchill. He was the recipient of the institute's 2007 award for statesmanship.

His address Saturday focused on how he saw an agile enemy utilizing asymmetric warfare against a lumbering superpower in America. "Their decentralized networks have been able to effectively employ the tools of the Information Age, while the U.S. government remains ponderous, muscle-bound, and unable to respond in real time to the deceits of these enemies," he said.

The theme is a familiar one for close watchers of Mr. Rumsfeld. USA Today published a 2003 "snowflake" memo from the former defense secretary complaining that America lacked the metrics to measure success or failure in the war on terror, and complaining that attacks from terrorist groups were far less costly than the measures the country should take to stop them.

In the interview on Saturday, Mr. Rumsfeld expanded on this idea. He noted that the budget process for the defense department typically took three years from the authorization to the appropriation and finally the spending of money for programs to combat the enemy. Another example of the new challenge is the predicament in Pakistan. "If you have enemies in countries you are not at war with, how does one fight against an enemy in a country you are not at war with?" Mr. Rumsfeld asked. He answered the question himself and said it was important to work with the Pakistani government to fight Al Qaeda in the federally administered tribal areas on the Afghan border. He did not, however, venture an opinion on whether his old boss, Mr. Bush, should pressure General Musharraf to step down from the presidency in Islamabad.

He also sounded support for a plan favored this election cycle by Mayor Giuliani, that NATO could possibly be expanded to meet security threats that the United Nations was not up to meeting. "A global alliance of free and responsible nations could better focus collective action against the growing threats to the nation-state system," he said in his speech.

Mr. Rumsfeld said he is not advising any Republican candidates for this election cycle. He is in the process now of establishing a new foundation to fund fellowships in foreign policy, micro-enterprise projects in the third world and bringing journalists and political leaders from Central Asia and the former Soviet Union to meet their American counterparts.
Source
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:03 am
Yeah, we should really all take heed to what Mr Rumsfeld says. I mean, he's been so right about Iraq and Afghanistan in the past.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:32 pm
Does anyone remember how long the hostilities went on with the Native American tribes in the 19th century? O.K., the U.S. has patience. That's all I can say, the U.S. has patience. (Forget the analogy to Vietnam. They are not analagous.)
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:44 pm
that's right, we don't need to take over your country right now, if in half a century, 50% of your population can be dead, and the other half can be strip-mining your resources to give them to us, i'm sure we can come to some kind of agreement.

after all, you believe in a different economic system than we do, so you should be our slaves. god bless us!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:39 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
god bless us!

I took the above out of your context, since I do agree with just the above.

I really don't know/understand the point of the rest of your post. Something about "in half a century, 50% of your population..." Since one-half (a century) is also 50% of a century, and then you refer to 50% of a population, were you doing something algebraic? Do the 50%'s cancel each other out, like in solving an equation? Or, do the two 50%'s equal 1?

Not knowing where you got the 50% statistic, I admit I can't give it credence. But your point about God blessing us is very correct.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:16 am
Foofie wrote:
Does anyone remember how long the hostilities went on with the Native American tribes in the 19th century? O.K., the U.S. has patience. That's all I can say, the U.S. has patience. (Forget the analogy to Vietnam. They are not analagous.)

You didn't understand what tinygiraffe said? A pity.

Well, let's try to spell it out for you, and have a look at your analogy. The "war" against the Native Americans was "won" by nearly extinguishing them. It benefited solely the settlers. The Native Americans were driven off their own land, often resettled by force. They were located to reservations, separated from traditional life and pushed into American society. Native American children were forbidden to speak their native languages and taught Christianity instead of their religions.

It would seem odd to propagate the nigh extinction and quasi-genocide of a whole population as a role model for America's course in Iraq.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:

You didn't understand what tinygiraffe said? A pity.

Well, let's try to spell it out for you, and have a look at your analogy. The "war" against the Native Americans was "won" by nearly extinguishing them. It benefited solely the settlers. The Native Americans were driven off their own land, often resettled by force. They were located to reservations, separated from traditional life and pushed into American society. Native American children were forbidden to speak their native languages and taught Christianity instead of their religions.

It would seem odd to propagate the nigh extinction and quasi-genocide of a whole population as a role model for America's course in Iraq.

No; I am not looking at the result of that history with Native American tribes; I am only pointing out the PATIENCE that the U.S. has historically in dealing with some effort that may include military involvment.

I never equated the history with Native American tribes as a role model. You brought that thought to the thread. I only brought the thought of the great PATIENCE that the U.S. has historically had.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:02 am
Foofie wrote:
No; I am not looking at the result of that history with Native American tribes; I am only pointing out the PATIENCE that the U.S. has historically in dealing with some effort that may include military involvment.

Interesting.

So you're saying that patience in all things military is a noble thing, notwithstanding the results.

Consequentially - if it's the patience that matters and not the result - you should be quite proud to point out the extraordinary patience America had in its military effort in Vietnam.

Foofie wrote:
I never equated the history with Native American tribes as a role model. You brought that thought to the thread. I only brought the thought of the great PATIENCE that the U.S. has historically had.

True. Just looking at the "great PATIENCE" America showed in the Indian Wars, the nigh extinction of the Native Americans was an admirable accomplishment.

It appears that America didn't have that much patience with Japan. Or Nazi Germany, for that matter.

Vietnam, now, that was better. Lots of patience there. Good job.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Interesting.

So you're saying that patience in all things military is a noble thing, notwithstanding the results.

Consequentially - if it's the patience that matters and not the result - you should be quite proud to point out the extraordinary patience America had in its military effort in Vietnam.

Foofie wrote:

True. Just looking at the "great PATIENCE" America showed in the Indian Wars, the nigh extinction of the Native Americans was an admirable accomplishment.

It appears that America didn't have that much patience with Japan. Or Nazi Germany, for that matter.

Stop "assigning" additional/adjunct meanings to what I said.

Some people have patience, some don't, regardless of the outcome; whether that outcome is good, bad, admirable, or not admirable.

Don't make inferences from the one trait I pointed out: patience.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:24 am
Yeah, so, our current situation is nothing like the cold war at all.

Why is it that Republicans and Conservatives have substituted low-level terrorism... for giant, mechanized, existential threats?

Answer: b/c it suits their ends to do so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:26 am
Foofie wrote:

You brought up the war against the Native Americans. I didn't assign any meaning to that. It has a meaning, and nothing I said was terribly far fetched.

I'd bet that when you ask people about what connotation they have concerning the war against the Native Americans, it's far more likely that people will mention "near extinction of Native Americans" than "admirable patience of US military."

Foofie wrote:
Some people have patience, some don't, regardless of the outcome; whether that outcome is good, bad, admirable, or not admirable.

That's all you wanted to say? Some people have patience, some don't?

Great.

In that case, it was certainly a valuable contribution.

Foofie wrote:

Not what you said.

You didn't say "Hey, patience is an admirable character trait" or something to that avail. It was more along the lines of "Hey, remember the hostilities with the Native Americans? Now, there the US showed some patience."

You provided the context. A very specific context.

Now you're trying to blame other people when they criticise you for that context.

Sad.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:32 am
old europe wrote:

While I think the "patience" issue is at best silly on both sides, this one annoyed me.

Prussia was certainly "patient" in achieving its rule in Poland, Saxony and even Hanover - and finally its domination of a newly formed Germany in 1871. On what basis do we exclude that from the metaphorical mud-slinging?

The roots of the wars with Nazi Germany and Japan go back to the events of 1914 - 1919. We were certainly patient in trying to stay out of that ghastly and utterly stupid conflict. Indeed it was a great tragedy that we ever got involved at all. It led only to our continued involvement in acts II (WWII) and III (The Cold War). Once in, however, we did indeed demonstrate the patience to see it through to the end.

Now in a new era I hope we will allow our European critics to screw up their continent on their own, without any interference or help from us. I'm sure they will learn to cherish their growing dependence on Gazprom and Putin.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Prussia was certainly "patient" in achieving its rule in Poland, Saxony and even Hanover - and finally its domination of a newly formed Germany in 1871. On what basis do we exclude that from the metaphorical mud-slinging?

Prussia emerged from the Napoleonic Wars as the dominant power in Germany, no doubts.
But they withdrew from central Poland to allow the creation of "Congress Poland".
At the Congress of Vienna, too, the King of Saxony was forced to cede the northern part of his kingdom to Prussia. Only that became the Prussian province of Saxony (today thet state of Saxony-Anhalt).
What was left of Saxony stayed an kingdom (and is today the state of Saxony).
The Kingdom of Hannover resulted from Vienna 1815 as well: as an independent kingdom. It became a Prussian province as a result from the Austro-Prussian War of 1866.

georgeob1 wrote:
The roots of the wars with Nazi Germany and Japan go back to the events of 1914 - 1919.

Exactly what events? Those in 1919 when Germany became a democratic repuublic? (Or why did you inlcude 1919?)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:

You brought up the war against the Native Americans. I didn't assign any meaning to that. It has a meaning, and nothing I said was terribly far fetched.

I'd bet that when you ask people about what connotation they have concerning the war against the Native Americans, it's far more likely that people will mention "near extinction of Native Americans" than "admirable patience of US military."

Foofie wrote:

That's all you wanted to say? Some people have patience, some don't?

Great.

In that case, it was certainly a valuable contribution.

Foofie wrote:

Not what you said.

You didn't say "Hey, patience is an admirable character trait" or something to that avail. It was more along the lines of "Hey, remember the hostilities with the Native Americans? Now, there the US showed some patience."

You provided the context. A very specific context.

Now you're trying to blame other people when they criticise you for that context.

Sad.

I gave no subjective meaning of, "Now there the U.S. showed some patience." I thought I just pointed out the U.S. has patience, like some people have brown eyes, some people have blue eyes. No subjective inference.

I think patience reflects emotional intelligence. To put it under the main heading of "admirable quality" is just eloquent speech, in my opinion, but it doesn't explain its benefit. Patience is the driving force behind persistence. I was not talking of persistence. I was talking of patience. Persistence may connote the allusions you make of "admiralbility." But not patience. Unless, of course, one compares patience to the impatient, which I didn't do.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:02 pm
Walter,
1919, you may recall, included the proceedings in Paris that led to the treaty of Versailles.

Thank you though for filling in the arcane details of my point about Prussia. The only reason that Frederich William ceded his provinces in "Congress Poland" was that Alexander wanted them and occupied them with Russian Armies, and that he (Frederich) trusted Alexander to get him Saxony at Vienna.

BTW - how is Schroeder doing at Gazprom?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:16 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
The only reason that Frederich William ceded his provinces in "Congress Poland" was that Alexander wanted them and occupied them with Russian Armies, and that he (Frederich) trusted Alexander to get him Saxony at Vienna.

I'd thought, the "exchange" was more focused on the Rhineland and especially Westphalia (= doubled thus their population and got the Ruhr district).

Those parts of Saxony which Prussia got were and are actually .... well, not the best of Saxony.

georgeob1 wrote:
BTW - how is Schroeder doing at Gazprom?

No idea, but might be his regret over Merkel's meeting with the Dalai Lama (that's the latest about him in the media) is somehow connected to his job as director of that pipeline consortium.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:36 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'd thought, the "exchange" was more focused on the Rhineland and especially Westphalia (= doubled thus their population and got the Ruhr district).

Those parts of Saxony which Prussia got were and are actually .... well, not the best of Saxony.

True enough. Frederich William was motivated by greed, and a fool to put his trust in the self-delusions of Alexander, who beneath his pretensions of piety, was just as greedy. Both were thoroughly outwitted and outmaneuvered by Metternich and Talleyrand (and with a little help from the British).
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:39 pm
New enemies in United States President George W Bush's wars are popping up in unexpected places. The latest one is peaceful Europe, where determined demonstrators and human rights lawyers recently ambushed former secretary of defense Donald Rumsfeld at a breakfast meeting in Paris organised by Foreign Policy magazine. He fled, fearing arrest over charges of ordering and authorising torture of detainees at both Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

It seems that even the election of an American- friendly French president is no guarantee of immunity in gay Paris for American officials anymore. Under international law, authorities in France are obliged to open an investigation when a complaint is made while the alleged torturer is on French soil. According to activists in France, who greeted Rumsfeld with shouts of "murderer" and "war criminal", US Embassy officials remained tight- lipped about the former defense secretary's whereabouts citing security reasons. He was whisked off to Germany, where a similar writ against him was quashed recently, but under the Schengen agreement that ended border checkpoints across a large part of the European Union, French law enforcement agents are allowed to cross the border into Germany in pursuit of a fleeing fugitive. "Rumsfeld must be feeling how Saddam Hussein felt when US forces were hunting him down," activist Tanguy Richard said. "He may never end up being hanged like his old friend, but he must learn that in the civilised world, war crime doesn't pay."
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2007/871/special.htm
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:45 pm
""Needless to say, the President is correct. Whatever it was he said.
I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said.
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."--Don Rumsfeld
0 Replies