Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:28 am
Hey Ed maybe you could try carpentry ....

klik Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:43 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Hey Ed maybe you could try carpentry ....

klik Smile

Kliking the cliker button. Nothing happening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 06:17 am
Well, I be d-d -d

(I bet you thought I was gonna say 'damned, didn't you?')

Now the kliker works.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 07:40 am
Edgar--

A reliable, efficient, skilled HandyMan for Small Jobs could make a great deal of money.

Find a couple condos and get permission to circulate a flyer detailing your talents.

You'll be swamped with work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 06:24 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Edgar--

A reliable, efficient, skilled HandyMan for Small Jobs could make a great deal of money.

Find a couple condos and get permission to circulate a flyer detailing your talents.

You'll be swamped with work.

But, if I wanted to do that, I could just keep the job I've got.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:25 am
Hey edgarblythe,

You and me share some of the same concerns. As a Journeyman Electrician I have to deal with the physicality, so I recently took a maintenance position with an aerospace firm to mellow that out some.

The interview process took weeks, with a 2 hour medical review, a 2 hour written test, a bunch of meetings and um-teen emails and phone conversations.

Bunch of aerospace wieners if you ask me.

Don't let that interview process dampen your spirits, I've been to quite a few recently and I treat them like I'm playing music.

The interview process has become my hobby! You have to remember to never take it personally: win...lose.....draw; who gives a **** about them anyway? They are no better than you!

You will start to recognize what the interviewers want and the common patterns, I take notes on the questions asked and then Google up better answers for the next interview.

Self confidence, good humors, looking them straight in the face, and a really well written resume are key. I have gotten some great job offers with this attitude and thus may not stay with the aerospace firm even though it's one of the better positions out there.

I guarantee edgarblythe that you can promote yourself too!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 07:53 am
Edgar--

Quote:

Free lancing you can meet more and better eccentrics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:19 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Edgar--

Quote:

Free lancing you can meet more and better eccentrics.

People constantly tell me they are making allowances for my age, but, they continue to expect the same level of performance I delivered ten and twenty years ago. That's why I need to go for something less physical this time.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 05:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
People constantly tell me they are making allowances for my age, but, they continue to expect the same level of performance I delivered ten and twenty years ago.

That sucks, doesn't it?

Who says age discrimination doesn't exist in the workplace?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 06:03 pm
About seven months ago, the manager told me that my helper could carry the burden of the heaviest labor. She said I could sit down in the office any time I needed to. But, every time I have taken her at her word, she puts pressure to perform the same way as before. I don't think she really understands my situation. The past few days she has remarked on what wonderful shape I'm in. Well, I have outlasted many a younger person, but those times are coming to a close. Even the helper that works with me does not realize that saying to me over the radio, "Mr. Edgar. Can you come to apartment ###?" causes me to run up and down the stairs, endlessly. The guy almost always knows the answers before I get there. He jst wants me, as the lead man, to validate it. They hired him at the same money I am making, just to get him, and he will soon inheri my position. I am to the point where I will tell him to make more decisions.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2008 02:08 pm
Edgar--

The world is full of people who can't replace the socket in a table lamp or paint a hand railing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:27 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Edgar--

The world is full of people who can't replace the socket in a table lamp or paint a hand railing.

At least there arent any Smurfs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 08:43 pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EwEiQOVzXdA

Sophie B Hawkins on Hillary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 09:46 am
Thuperbowl day. Bought me a six pack of Lone Star Beer. Promptly drank one. Later on, drank a second. Still have four, which is far more than I can drink in one day. It's a beautiful day, here in Tomball (might get a bit rainy later on), so weather should not be a factor, in the game. Like any good consumer, I look forward to the commercials. Correction: I would be a good consumer, if I bought things, in addition to watching advertisements. I predict there will be a winner and they will be crowned Thuperbowl Champs for a year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:29 pm
Game over. Bleh. Warm and humid, tonight. I've had the ceiling fan running most of the day. Gus has a thread, How to humanely kill a cat. There is no good way, if it really has to be done.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:30 pm
Well Edgar, it's been a while since we chatted.

In the meantime, the stocking job fell through. I think the job was filled from "within" myself. The postion was advertised in the paper on a Saturday, I emailed my resume in on the Sunday, and I got an answer back on the Tuesday, saying that it was filled. Probably some employee's kid. Oh well. The pay would have been minimum, I'm sure, but the hours would have suited me well.

It looks like to me that I'm getting ever closer to applying for a part time day dishwasher position at a restaurant that's been advertising a lot. I may have no choice if I want to find work.

And you, any ideas in regards to your future? It's not all that long off now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 01:35 pm
I haven't spoken with anyone. Most likely, whatever I get will be full time. Which is why I don't want a great deal of manual labor. Still thinking about Lowe's, since they are building a store up the road. My knees were like steel springs a few years ago. Now, it's becoming painful to kneel and stand back up. Arthritis? Got to find out.

How are you and Vivian, healthwise?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 03:04 pm
Lowes, that's like Home Depot, right? They're always hiring here, but I don't know about fitting in there for myself. I would imagine it would involve some heavy lifting from time to time.

You figure you'll have to do full time still? Too bad. At this point, I really only want part time, but, if for some reason the "right" job came by, I might consider it.

Vivienne is having complications from her hernia surgery that was back in September. Her medical mesh is in place okay, but her body is reacting to it and producing a fair amount of fluid and her abdomin is once again protruding. It looks as if she never had the operation. The doc says that eventually (read a year, or so) her body will get used to it, stop producing the fluid, and break down what's there.

In the meantime, as a result of a previous CT scan to check the hernia repair area, two other concerns has reared their heads. One, a cyst in the pancreas, and two, something with her colon. More testing on the way for those things.

On the bright side, the operation she had on her right knee seems to have made a very big difference. She's been walking without her cane for some time now. It'll never be 100%, but you grab at what you can. Of some concern now is her left knee, giving a little bit of pain. Perhaps the same op will need to be done there down the road.

Other than that..... Laughing

The weather here has done another flip flop. Much milder here the past week. No more "snow events", but lots of rain (which is the norm).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 03:12 pm
The weather here is mostly great. Azaleas were blooming last week. I noticed new growth on some bananas this morning. Spring begins, even as winter makes a few last minute forays.

The reason I pick Lowes over Home Depot, it would involve less driving. I expect the duties would be about the same. They have fork lifts to move the heaviest stuff.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 04:34 pm
You've got a banana tree? Shocked

Do you have to have had fork lift experience for the job?
0 Replies