edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:33 pm
We give seeds to about 19 ducks and five geese at the park. So far, no sign of sitting on nests or little ones.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:34 pm
@JPB,
Is your standing water in the yard because the ground is just over saturated or are you starting to have some flooding problems in your area?
JPB

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Some of each. I'm about 1 mile from the river. There's some lowland flooding closer to the river. We're just saturated front and back.
JPB

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I love ducks. Geese are evil.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:40 pm
@JPB,
All these rains in the farmlands are really going to wreak havoc with grocery prices in a few months. California is getting hit hard too.

I'm planning on doing some grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up on grains, fruit and veggies for the freezer and pantry shelves for when the fresh produce gets too expensive. That should hold us over until our veggie garden is ready to harvest.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:41 pm
So Reyn isn't home and reporting in from his interview yet. Is this good news? I hope he got a job offer!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, and sorry I didn't acknowledge earlier.. I think I saw your thread as I was about to sleep last night. I noted it enough to go out and move the silly doomed tomato in early a.m. It's in a big pot. I know better, pots for indeterminates need to be bigger than my big pot, so I'm temporizing.

I do keep up with news here via google abq and my own connection to a couple of weather sites, but I can be lame about all that. Which is to say, thanks.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:49 pm
He really deserves to get a decent job. If I had to look right now, I would be in the same boat, likely.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 05:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hmm, hard to say.

Nice older woman (50s) interviewing me, so she is giving me a definite consideration. Lots of folks still to go yet though.

She did say that she's mainly looking for cashiers, at the moment, which isn't where most of my retail experience has been. Apparently, there will be a fair number of codes for items to know. So, meh.

She said I could pick it up, but probably if there are others who have had more cashier experience, they're more likely to get it over me (she didn't say that).

It would be for about 24 hours a week, which is fine.

All in all, it was a good experience, but I won't hold my breath on this job.

But, on the other hand, one never knows. Laughing
JPB

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:01 pm
@Reyn,
Here's hoping, Reyn.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:47 pm
Good luck, Reyn.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 08:16 pm
Thanks guys. We'll see what happens.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 10:19 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
She did say that she's mainly looking for cashiers, at the moment, which isn't where most of my retail experience has been. Apparently, there will be a fair number of codes for items to know. So, meh.

She said I could pick it up

She's right, you can easily pick it up. If you're good at basic math, memorizing the codes for items shouldn't be too much more difficult than the things you had to memorize as a meter reader (I did remember that correctly, right?).
Reyn

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 07:47 am
@Butrflynet,
Hmm, there really wasn't too much memorising to do as a meter reader. Basically, you just inputed the readings into the unit. No codes or anything.

Here, it looks like they're switching to "smart meters" for electric, so some are going to lose their jobs. Hopefully, they'll still need them for gas meters though.

As for being a cashier, the manager said that there will be a switch to using bar codes eventually. Just not sure when.
0 Replies