Can someone please Translate ''The Lake'' into plain, modern english.

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:01 pm
For reading purposes, I do understand it, but for translation purposes...well, I still do but it's not nearly as easy as it'd be if it were in plain, modern english. I have a conlang, and I would like to translate the poem into it and I'd really like to be able to skip the process of having to translate it into simpler, easier to translate terms myself. So if anybody wants to do this for me, thanks. I tried looking online for somewhere that had modernized versions of classic poems but couldn't find such a place. So I went here. Thanks again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,392 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 03:17 am
@Urahara95,
In spring of youth it was my lot
To haunt of the wide world a spot
The which I could not love the less-
So lovely was the loneliness
Of a wild lake, with black rock bound,
And the tall pines that towered around.

But when the Night had thrown her pall
Upon that spot, as upon all,
And the mystic wind went by
Murmuring in melody-
Then-ah then I would awake
To the terror of the lone lake.

Yet that terror was not fright,
But a tremulous delight-
A feeling not the jewelled mine
Could teach or bribe me to define-
Nor Love-although the Love were thine.

Death was in that poisonous wave,
And in its gulf a fitting grave
For him who thence could solace bring
To his lone imagining-
Whose solitary soul could make
An Eden of that dim lake.

It is in modern English, and i only see three problems which might arise for the non-native speaker, or a native speaker of limited reading. "Thine" is one of the forms of the second person singular possessive pronoun (the other form is "thy"), and a modern speaker would just say "yours." Even in Poe's lifetime, the second person singular had fallen into disuse, and it's likely that he used it for the rhyme.

He also uses the subjunctive mood, " . . . although the Love were thine." That is the correct form, although modern speakers increasingly abandon the use of the subjunctive mood. A modern speaker, not well read, would probably say "was" rather than "were." So, combining the two--". . . although the Love was yours."

Finally, "For him who thence could solace bring"--thence means from there, from that place.

If you have any specific problems, you should indicate them, using the text of the poem. Otherwise, as it is in modern English, there's really no way for anyone here to know what problems you might be having.
0 Replies