edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:27 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Edgar, I had no idea so many were reading this thread! Shocked Laughing

The thumbs down is no indicator of how many are paying attention. I have other threads with very low approvals (thumbs up) but that get hundreds of views.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:16 pm
@Tai Chi,
Well, this mature business hasn't worked out for me so far (in the last year). As a matter of fact, it's only worked out a long time ago. All the other jobs I've applied for it was rejection.

Butrflynet wrote:

I stuck a sign on your back when you weren't looking.

I'm grateful it didn't say "Kick me hard!" Laughing

I guess you're right, Edgar. It's nice to see it above zero though. Wink
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 05:26 pm
@Reyn,
It did, but in very small print. Most of us are too mature to be able to read it. Wink

Have the temporary work agencies been at all helpful or do they also screen out the more mature applicants?

Any chance of doing some delivery work for florists?

Also, some of the gardening centers will soon be gearing up their staff for the Spring rush. I bet that's something you could do.
Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

It did, but in very small print. Most of us are too mature to be able to read it.

Laughing

Quote:
Have the temporary work agencies been at all helpful or do they also screen out the more mature applicants?

I've never used a temp agency.

I believe we have a couple around town. The only trouble is that I don't really want to hop from job to job.

Part time is fine, but I want to stay with one outfit.

Quote:
Any chance of doing some delivery work for florists?

Hmm, chances are, I would have to use my own car for that (I have seen such around town and deliveries in my own complex. This would change the status of my car insurance (making it much more expensive), never mind the wear and tear, but nice idea.

Quote:
Also, some of the gardening centers will soon be gearing up their staff for the Spring rush. I bet that's something you could do.

I've actually given serious thought to agricultural work of various kinds - greenhouses, different farm work, nurseries, etc. I'm sure I would have no problem getting it.

My wife feels firmly that I should not get involved in those kinds of work, as I had cancer many years back, and feels that potential exposure to various chemicals wouldn't do me any good. I have to kind of agree with her, but every once in a while, I feel deperate and think about it.

She insists it's not worth it.

There is one possibility, and that is fruit and vegetable processing - you know, like in a factory setting. We have a fair a bit of that, but the work can be sometimes only for short periods of time.

We'll see. Thanks for the brain storming. Smile
Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:49 pm
@Reyn,
Well, I've just applied for the 5th time to a retail store called London Drugs (in Canada), as a stocking person.

Every once in a while when I'm feeling frusterated I re-apply here. Have never heard back yet. Laughing

Edgar, have you had any success in your job search?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 12:51 pm
@Reyn,
are you good with socks and such?

who knew...

Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 01:20 pm
@Reyn,
Truthfully, I haven't applied anywhere. But I have my first application almost ready to turn in.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 02:55 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

are you good with socks and such?

Huh? I don't get it. Shocked Laughing

edgarblythe wrote:

Truthfully, I haven't applied anywhere. But I have my first application almost ready to turn in.

What sort of work are you going to be applying for?

I know at one time in the past, you mentioned something about doing some woodworking projects on your own and trying to sell stuff. Is this still a viable alternative for you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 05:10 pm
I plan to make things to sell. But not to earn my main living. First, I am checking the hospital. I knew a man that worked security there for many years. Also know, right now, a man that works there. Not sure what he does, but he is not much younger than me. He drives a new truck. I am slowly checking it out. Don't want to apply for the wrong job.
Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 06:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hey, sounds interesting! I hope something works out.

[thumb up]
Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 05:24 pm
@Reyn,
Hello to all who replied when I posted about my last job!

Today, I had to go back and pick up a paystub at the store. I laughed, because it was closed.

Apparently, they had not bothered to, or had failed their final city inspection, including for fire as well.

A lady (she had been hired prior to the start of the set-up) who I was friendly with during the set-up, gave me some interesting statistics.

49 people were hired in the beginning.
9 dropped out during the set-up.
20 (including myself) were let go after the set-up.
And, in her opinion, they were not finished yet.

So, it sounds like no one should feel secure there even if they've been hired.

I've got to go back in 2 weeks to pick up my final paystub (due to the way the pay period fell).

In the meantime, I've been looking at job ads every day on job sites. The local papers are a bit of a waste of time, as nothing much in them.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2011 05:32 pm
As somebody in a play about the French Revolution said, "We've got jobs, waiting for work."
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 07:33 pm
Today I tackled my income tax return and got it successfully done!

I always feel good when I get it off my back. Wink Very Happy
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 10:36 pm
@Reyn,
Sounds like you were lucky not to have been hired or you'd be facing a layoff now because of their ineptness.

Reyn

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2011 01:22 am
@Butrflynet,
Laughing Yeah, that's certainly one way to look at it.

Just tonight I've applied for an interesting possible job, but not giving it away yet. Don't want to jinx it! Laughing
Reyn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:06 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Today I tackled my income tax return and got it successfully done!

I always feel good when I get it off my back. Wink Very Happy

Edgar, have you done yours yet? Wink
Izzie

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:19 pm
@Reyn,
<very quietly keeping all fingers and toots crossed for you Reyn> shhhhhh

((((Edgar)))) x ((((Reyn)))) x
Reyn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 02:54 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks, Izzie! Hope you're keeping well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 03:17 pm
@Reyn,
I did my income tax the first week of Feb. I never procrastinate re tax time.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 03:18 pm
Hi izzie. Good of you to drop by.
0 Replies