Reyn

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like a plan, Edgar.

Basically, that's what I'm doing at the moment. Last day of set-up at the store here is this coming Friday.

I imagine that if we get a call over the coming weekend, we'll know if we're going to be hired as regulars for the store opening, otherwise....

I've still be looking at the ads as I have usually. Unfortunately, nothing much going right now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 07:50 pm
Good luck, reyn.
Reyn

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2011 11:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks!

I worked a 12 hour shift today, and I'm beat! Sad It's an effort just to type. Laughing
Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:24 pm
@Reyn,
Well, Edgar, and anyone else following this thread these days, this afternoon I (along with others) got let go at the dollar store. It was decided that we were excess to requirements, I guess. I thought I did a good job, too.

I was really hoping that this job was going to work out and that I would be kept on after the store was going to open next Monday.

I could really use a hug right about now. I'm feeling a bit down.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 07:28 pm
@Reyn,
Ahem. Consider yourself hugged, reyn.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:02 pm
@Reyn,
I'll take a turn when ed gets done.

bummer, dude...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:03 pm
@Reyn,
Hugs, Reyn, you did well from my point of view. You knocked yourself out, I know it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:22 pm
@Reyn,
Just for you, Reyn. I hope you can feel the hugs come through the screen:

http://www.mdjunction.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/bear_hug_bear.jpg

http://4tenderheart.com/HUGS_001.JPG

http://www.indirectsunlight.com/archives/images/first_hugs.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI23Kjo5wWi7Q5dy4AnxgL5yN691MloVV0o75X5Ciiui-qEw7LxQ&t=1

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/CuteKittyHug.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:29 pm
@Reyn,
Keep checking back with them, Reyn. There are bound to be some needs they've overlooked and some people who just don't cut it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was thinking that too.
Dutchy

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry to read about your predicament Reyn, I sincerely wish you will get a break soon, keep your spirits up.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 09:00 pm
@Reyn,
((Reyn)) Thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Awww, thanks so much Edgar, Rock, Osso, BFN, Dutchy, mismi!!! Very Happy

It means a lot right about now.

Butrflynet wrote:

Keep checking back with them, Reyn. There are bound to be some needs they've overlooked and some people who just don't cut it.

I had thought about that during the set-up process.

For those that did get hired, for when the store opened, I'm sure that some will find themselves unemployed within a short period of time. If I were them, I'd watch my back.

In the meantime since I wrote my initial post, I've discussed this with my wife (she's a wonderful sounding board!) and I don't think I'm interested.

I don't think it would make any difference. I worked really hard, and I had previous experience in the exact position (merchandiser) in their competitor's store.

So, if that wasn't enough to sway them, I don't want to flog a dead horse, so to speak.

Time to move on and focus on something else. I have to admit, I'm a little angry and quite disappointed that I was not considered, but that's life, isn't it?

I'm not getting any younger either. I don't look like it in person, but I will be turning 60 this coming April.

I think that I'm being turned down due to my age, as a number of older women were being let go as well.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2011 11:38 pm
Ah, rats!

Big hug from here.
Barry The Mod

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 01:20 am
@Reyn,
I'll give ya a good old man hug (( you )).The place where I work is going through some rough times too.We've had redundancies and 2 rounds of pay cuts.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:20 am
@margo,
Thanks Margo and Barry! I really appreciate that!

Edgar, I had no idea so many were reading this thread! Shocked Laughing
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 09:31 am
@Reyn,
Hugs from here, too, Reyn.

Curious as to the age of the manager(s) and surprised they discounted the older workers, after all, we wear watches and know how to set an alarm clock Very Happy Of course we are harder to bamboozle than a youngster...
Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 11:29 am
@Tai Chi,
Thanks Tai Chi! I seem to recall that you were (still?) working retail as well?

No manager as yet. They were in the process of hiring.

The district manager did the deed, and he was no spring chicken. Had to be in his late 40s, early 50s.

Go figure, huh?

Edit:
TC, it's the Dollarama chain, based in Montreal.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:01 pm
@Reyn,
Yep, still retail -- at least for the next 6 or 7 weeks. My supervisor and manager are looking to replace me with someone "mature" -- at least over 30 -- that's why I'm surprised that Dollarama weeded out you mature folk.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:12 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Edgar, I had no idea so many were reading this thread! Shocked Laughing

I stuck a sign on your back when you weren't looking.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yjX5kfU8cFA/TMnym3BiZqI/AAAAAAAAAao/mn1kXBEgvQo/s1600/freehugs.gif

Looks like it worked! Wink
0 Replies