Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 03:23 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn have you checked out kijiji. I know a lot of companies are using their site to advertise jobs. Good luck. I know it's been a long haul for you.
Reyn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I did my income tax the first week of Feb. I never procrastinate re tax time.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do it earlier, as I had some info slips to come in the mail to be sent in with my tax return. Wink
Reyn

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:03 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Reyn have you checked out kijiji. I know a lot of companies are using their site to advertise jobs. Good luck. I know it's been a long haul for you.

Hi Ceili! I've never heard of this job site, but will definitely check it out!

Thanks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 09:05 pm
@Reyn,
Here, those things have to be sent out, I think, by the end of January. So, it shouldn't take over a week or two after to be able to file.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Ah, I see.

Here, by the end of Feb. That explains it! Wink
Ceili

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 02:19 pm
@Reyn,
It's not a job site per se, but a place to sell stuff. A lot of companies use it because it costs them nothing to list. Same with craig's list.
Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2011 03:47 pm
@Ceili,
Yes, I checked it out, but did notice for my area that it was not very active. Whereby Craig's List, which I use all the time, is quite good.

Thanks for giving me a 'head's up' on it anyways! Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:00 pm
Good evening, Edgar (and anyone else watching this).

All things quiet on the work front.

The good thing here that just happened today is that the minimum wage in British Columbia is going up from $8 per hour to $8.75 this May, $9.50 this November and to $10.25 May 2012.

So, when I do get a job ... Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:19 pm
They let my lead man go last week. That leaves me and a helper (he's sixty) to do everything the three of us were doing. We get a man from the temp agency to help us when we work on the siding. We haven't fallen behind yet, but it's just the first week.
Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oooh, this sounds like it going to get increasingly harder for you.

Do you think they're trying to force you out, in a roundabout way?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:32 pm
@Reyn,
No. They are getting as much cheap labor as they possibly can.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:28 pm
I must lead at least a semi charmed life. Today, I checked the breaker to the outside lights of one of the apartment buildings. I saw right away it was sparking. I clicked it off and started to pull the top loose. It was stuck. So, I put the pliers on there and tugged. The wires shorted out. It was like an explosion. Miraculously, it would seem, I stepped away with a mild burn to my wrist and the smell of singed hand and arm hair. Calmly walked into the office and informed the boss we need a contractor. Went about my business. I was so cool, I can hardly believe it.
Reyn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wow! You gotta be careful, Edgar! Want to keep seeing you around for a while yet! Wink

In retrospect, what would you have done differently, eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 12:20 pm
@Reyn,
Nothing different. You are expected to be able to change a breaker without getting the power company to shut off the electric. My experience shows that you have to be very careful to keep yourself from touching the wrong things. If I had persisted in tugging at the breaker with my bare hand, I don't think I would have been shocked, but my hands and forearms might have been severely burned.

Many of our breakers have been untouched since 1983. Also, the installation was by men in a hurry. It's a situation fraught with little and big dangers.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:19 pm
I'm getting too old for this. Ran two refrigerators downstairs this morning, ran one up and two crosswise. With my buddy helping, of course. Got two to run upstairs tomorrow. I am sure they would have expected it today, had I informed them of it. He he.

I have an odd situation with one resident. She had a 1983 GE refrigerator. Never a problem, for three years. But it wore out and was replaced by a brand new GE. After two weeks, the freezer compartment froze over. I said from the start that she had so much food in there the air could not circulate. My former lead man defrosted it twice, and next time it froze over called the GE repairman. The repairman kept coming two or three more times, but we still had the problem. Bought another brand new refrigerator. Went through the identical situation. Removed that one and put in a 2004 model, different make. This one froze up also. I brought the manager up and we photographed the food blocking the air vents. Thawed it out. Two weeks later, it was frozen over. She had put in bare minimal food this time. I thawed it out thoroughly, thinking I had not gotten all the moisture out last time. Two weeks later, it froze over again. I just got through putting a different refrigerator in there. That makes four in just a few months. The thing is, we put those troublesome refrigerators in other apartments and they work perfectly. I wish I knew what this person is doing to these refrigerators. I can't figure it out, because she quit overfilling the last one. I hate to think sabotage out of anger. I just don't know.
Reyn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Moving around fridges isn't easy work, for sure!

Careful!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I had this happen with a refrigerator freezer once. A bag of frozen peas burst or was left open (damn kids) and one of them, peas, that is, blocked the drainage pipe.
Be careful of your back!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:46 pm
@Ceili,
I wish it could be that simple with this person.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 03:56 pm
Well, Edgar, today is a milestone for me. It's the big 6-0. I feel uncomfortable when the numbers get this high.

Did it give you pause at all when you reached that age?

I want to live longer than my dad. He died at 69. Sad
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2011 04:17 pm
@Reyn,
It's your birthday, Reyn? I'll start a thread unless you don't want one.

On sixty, stuff happened when I was sixty, in late October 2001. After the bad 9/11, and then my own problems, I was trying hard to recoup. Sixty as a number didn't give me pause, it was life that did.
I'm approaching 70 (me?) and the same is true.