Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know previously we had talked about Home Depot. Up here, I've applied 3 times and never even got an interview. One of the jobs was for a 'lot attendant'.

Imagine not even getting a job like that. Sad
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:58 pm
@Reyn,
They're not always looking for lot attendants -?
Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 03:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've seen that job description come up a number of times. Also have applied for stocking shelves, etc.

Speaking of lot attendants, I applied at another place that wanted parking lot attendants at a trade and convention type business and never heard either. Sad

So, I hope this dollar store thing pans out. Starting wage is $9 /hour, which is already a dollar higher than I thought it was going to be.

This is the outfit here:
http://www.dollarama.com/about_us/

The dollar store market in Canada is heating up. The Dollar Tree chain from the U.S. bought out the Dollar Giant chain in Canada and are going head-to-head with the Dollarama stores.

The location where I'll be working at is less than a block from a Dollar Giant /Dollar Tree store.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 04:09 pm
Good luck, Reyn and Edgar.
Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2011 09:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Osso! Nice to see you here. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 12:56 pm
Still employed.
Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 01:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is that official? And for how long?

I go to my orientation this afternoon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2011 02:22 pm
It's official until they fire me. I figure that gives me about six months of job security. {{{{{maybe}}}}}}}
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 01:22 pm
Okay, so I (along with lots of other folks) had my orientation last night. As of now, 6 days of work are scheduled for. The store will probably be opening quite soon afterwards.

Hoping that I will be kept on as regular staff once the set-up is completed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 02:56 pm
Good deal, reyn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:31 pm
Learned through the grapevine that my lead man is getting transferred to another property, for pushing too hard for a raise. The already lead man of the other property appears headed here. Hmm.
Reyn

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 09:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is this good or bad for you? Unsure?

Had my first day today. My lower back, legs, and feet hurt. Sad

5 more days left. Then, we'll see.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hmmm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:09 pm
@Reyn,
Good shoes, important. I remember when I used to either do lab or landarch exhibit shows as a person at a booth or a person walking the aisles all day, that my feet would just kill me, all that standing on what is basically concrete.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:10 pm
@Reyn,
It would be good in the short run. For the transition they would want my steadying hand. But I don't have any assurance for the long run.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Good shoes, important. I remember when I used to either do lab or landarch exhibit shows as a person at a booth or a person walking the aisles all day, that my feet would just kill me, all that standing on what is basically concrete.

I used to buy $20 shoes to work in. My feet were sore and getting worse. I bought some expensive shoes in time payments. Right away my feet felt good.
Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Good to hear, Edgar. Will hope it works out okay for you.

My shoes are fairly good. Not top of the line, but reasonable. Part of the problem is that I've been quite sedentary for some months.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 07:41 pm
Well, the manager thought the transfer was a done deal and cancelled my lead man's buying privileges. Then had to scramble to restore them, because it did not go down after all. So, I am waiting to see if it is delayed or cancelled. I have an application for a different job. Have had it for a week. It is very hard to drop it off. But I am committed to do so.
Reyn

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
How does this affect you?

Not understanding. Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:44 pm
I don't know yet if they dropped the notion altogether, or if they just postponed it. They have shown themselves to be untrustworthy, so I am going to look for something before they decide what to do with me.