I'm a little out of practice...

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:33 pm
Marty, what happens if you do call him and he says no? Nothing. Absolutely nothing, other than that you will know that you are able to pick up a phone and ask a guy out. There is no shame, no loss to it.
Many people don't read their emails daily, or have separate accounts for work and for fun. You cannot know whether he's interested or not by his not responding to your (too vague and polite) email.
I think the 'hey i'll be in the area' phone call is absolutely harmless and you can only win. if only just practice points.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:38 pm
Thank you Dag. That's part of what I was not eloquent enough to get at.

No lose situation to explore again. We are not getting any younger...

Go explore Marty. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 06:17 am
I think it's amazingly cool that you could make an attempt at flirting in front of your kids, and for you to admit it to them.

It's even better that they thought it was a positive thing.

Like others have said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I wouldn't "leave the ball in his court" if everyone thought that way, there'd be a lot of balls just lying around.

He may be just has shy, or out of practice as you.

He gave you the business card for a reason other than business.
Restaurant emptly, you live 45 minutes away. I assume you're not a restaurant supplier or some other vendor he'd be interested in doing business with.

Can you maybe get away yourself and drive through the area, stopping by at a slow time for a piece of pie and coffee?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
I think I'm gonna do it! Today is a week since I met him. It's a slow day at work, I bet I can tuck away in a quiet corner and muster up the courage.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
Why go through all the torture, marty? Come on down to the swamp and we can get things rolling.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 12:34 pm
Thanks, but I don't like mosquito's
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:18 pm
OMG!!!! I did it. I wanted to call before I thought he'd get busy with the lunch crowd and called at 11:00. My heart was racing and I felt like I'd puke. No, seriously, I identified myself and told him that I really enjoyed talking with him and if he'd ever be on my end of town I'd love to have coffee with him. He took my number but did mention that he had my email address. Then he appologized to have to go but was busy with work.
He lost his manager and was pulling double duty. I do feel like an idiot but I guess I made one step forward in getting myself back out there regardless of whether or not he calls.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:20 pm
Good for you, marty... it takes guts to do what you did. Did he sound warm and welcoming or cool and distant?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
I wish you luck, marty, and I am seriously happy for you, but, at the same time I feel a bit rejected because of that mosquito remark.

We could have made beautiful music together, marty.

Water under the bridge, however, and life goes on.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:22 pm
Good for you, Marty.

If it is right, he'll call back. If not, practice is FUN. :wink:
The butterflies are a GOOD thing.

RH
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:22 pm
Yeah! Go, Marty, go!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:13 pm
Thanks guys, the nausea hasn't settled yet.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:14 pm
Maybe a couple of Tums and a few deep breaths. You'll be okay.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:22 pm
I think you did everything perfectly. Good luck, you little flirt.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:17 pm
kickycan wrote:

Kicky, as a man, I'm sure you can identify with the guy in this situation.

I also thought how tough it must be to be the one expected to make the first move, and in such a way that you get your message of interest across, but at the same time don't seem too forward.

I'd like to hear your and the other guys opinion about the woman being clear about her interest.

Does it make you feel good that a gal found you interesting enough to take that first step?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
Good going Marty!

Have a sip of ginger ale or some fizzy water.

You did it!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
Chai wrote:
kickycan wrote:

I also thought how tough it must be to be the one expected to make the first move, and in such a way that you get your message of interest across, but at the same time don't seem too forward.

I'd like to hear your and the other guys opinion about the woman being clear about her interest.

Does it make you feel good that a gal found you interesting enough to take that first step?

Yeah, I wanna know too!
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:36 pm
Mame wrote:
Good for you, marty... it takes guts to do what you did. Did he sound warm and welcoming or cool and distant?

I couldn't get a sense one way or the other. He seems like a nice guy but couldn't talk long because of work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:42 pm
Good going.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:14 pm
Chai wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Once a waitress at a restaurant that I used to frequent came over to me and told me she thought I was cute. Since she was really really attractive, I figured she was flirting with me because she'd lost a bet with her waitress friend or something. I ended up getting all nervous and f*cking it up, AS USUAL, but to answer your question, YES. It feels GREAT when an attractive woman lets you know she's interested.
0 Replies