The US Economy

roger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
No, Scrat, none of the indicators are meaningless and if the economy contained only one variable, we could all make 100% accurate forcasts.

I suspect that everyone in the discussion has economics courses way beyond 101, Italgato. C.i certainly has, and so have I.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
Scrat, We have a difference of opinion; only the future will tell which one is rignt or wrong. All I know is that these economic experts have been telling us about the growing economy from 18 months ago; many are saying it's gonna happen in the second half of this year. Some are predicting the first half of next year. I'm waiting.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:57 am
Cicerone Imposter- I do not control the rate of Productivity.

Therefore, I can not put it anywhere.

When automobiles came out and the buggywhip makers were put out of business, they either adapted or starved.

When the productivity index goes up by 6.8% that means that there is more production with the same number of people.

That means that no hiring is necessary.

In Japan, as quoted in Friedman's book- The Lexus and the Olive Tree" there is a Lexus plant which produces 300 Lexus cars a day. Sixth humans work there. These humans MERELY supervise the Robots and Machines which produce the automobiles.

What is the solution?

The Congress and President could pass laws forbidding the introduction of any new technology which would increase productivity.

That wouldn;t work since in this global economy, other countries would utlize the technology we are turning down.

Can anyone be specific and tell me where the new jobs are going to come from?

I think that I have some ideas but I want to hear from Cicerone Imposter or others.

What would Gore have done to preseve jobs.
I really want to know.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:46 am
How illuminating!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 10:59 am
I must thank Mamajuana for labeling my post illumiinating. I am certain she is being sincere.

However, I can not take credit for all of the ideas in that post.

Many of them came almost directly from Friedman's stunningly accurate book- "The Lexus and the Olive Tree"

Friedman quotes the great economist -Schumpeter who uses the phrase "creative destruction"

By that phrase, Schumpeter means to say that because of globalization and rising productivity and technological changes, old jobs will be "destroyed" and new ones need to be created.

Think "buggy whip maker" in 1900 and "Computer Engineer in 2000.

Jobs go and jobs come.

Of course, some would say that we need to raise tariff walls and "protect the American worker".

I have listened in vain to all of the putative Democratic Candidates. None ever mentioned "High tariffs."

I wonder why!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 11:16 am
Italgato, American productivity is one of the highest on this planet, and that alone is to be applauded. However, as you have opined, creativity is necessary to keep our economy growing. It wasn't that long ago that none of us owned computers. High tech is now the industry of choice for most developed countries, and the third world countries are catching up very quickly. In order to create new products, it is necessary for the populace to have a well educated, creative, innovative people. Once a popular product is created, it must have the wherewithal to produce it. That means a work force able to follow instructions, ready capital, and risk takers. Capitalism and political savvy are necessary to promote economic growth. I still haven't seen any positive actions by this administration that makes me think our economy is going to grow any time soon. When I say economic growth, I don't mean job loss while productivity increaes; it must also mean job growth.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:38 pm
Quote:
Economists Expect Fastest Second Half Growth Since 1999
Thursday, September 11, 2003 06:13 PM ET . . . . . . -> LINK <-

NEW YORK -- The U.S. economy is expected to record during the second half of this year the strongest pace of economic growth since the late 1990s.

The nation's gross domestic product -- the broadest measure of the output of goods and services -- is expected to grow at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4.7% during the current quarter and 4.0% in the fourth quarter, according to a monthly survey of 53 economic forecasters conducted by WSJ.com. The projected quarterly growth rates for the second half of the year mark a sharp upward revision from August estimates of 3.6% and 3.8%, respectively. If the forecasters are correct, it means that the U.S. economy would achieve the fastest growth rate since the economy expanded at an annual pace of more than 6% in the second half of 1999.

Economists have projected turning points in the past that haven't materialized and any forecast needs to be viewed with caution. Still, economists say there is mounting evidence that consumer and business spending has accelerated, boosting economic growth.

(Bold mine.)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:46 pm
Let's hope so, since on the News Hour tonight it was reported that Unemployment rose again last month.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:55 pm
Scrat, I've maintained before that my opinion differes from most of these eocnomists that are predicting growth in this half or the first half of next year. As the last paragraph of your post in bold letters notes, their projection points in the past have not materialized. There's nothing in my book of cards that shows any indication of growth during the next twelve months. That is my opinion, and I'll stick to it. One of the key indicators for me is the increasing unemployment rate. It's going to take a whole lot of growth to rehire all those that have lost jobs during the past three years. I just don't see it in the cards. BTW, foreclosures on mortgages are also increasing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
Employment is always a trailing indicator. As autum arrives, inventory buildup (from near-historic low levels) will occaision an uptick in production and distribution jobs, and, of course, as the Christmas Season draws nearer, Retail and other Service positions will uptick. Given strong year-end sales results (not guaranteed, but seemingly highly likely), real employment growth will ensue. Of course, if that isn't what happens, The Current Administration faces considerable inconveniece, while, conversely, should it come to pass, The Opposition is left with the prospect of no prospect whatsoever.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:02 pm
Here'a another point of fact: Many government agencies are going to be laying off more people, because they are again showing huge deficits in their budgets. The only way to balance their budget is to lay off people. It wasn't that long ago that government jobs provided their workers with some job security. That's not true any longer. When schools are unable to hire teachers from the lack of money, all the other government funded employees are also going to suffer job loss.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:04 pm
I admit that I have only a year of 100 level macro and micro econ, but the "lagging figure" of unemployment has been lagging for two and a half years now. If it lags any more, it will start dragging in the mud. Confused
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, foreclosures on mortgages are also increasing.

No, they are not Mr. Green

Mortgage Rates are are ticking down as well, with considerable action both in ReFis and new applications..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:13 pm
timber, Some major stores like WalMart seems to hold their own. Most of the others are suffering from red ink. Some of the majors are showing store to store increases, but they're mostly in the single digits. I read recently that Costco is having problems with their sales numbers. Most consumers are already maxed out on their credit cards. Those with money have always purchased whatever they wanted to; their buying power hasn't changed, and they will not affect the sales numbers. What is also telling is that business jet leasees have dropped significantly. A few years ago, that was a growing industry. Most people do not have extra dollars to spend compared to one year ago or two years ago. What money they pocketed from refinancing their home mortgages are already spent. Guess how much the market place has lost in buying power when three million people lost their jobs during the past three years? That'll give you some idea why "growth" in the economy is unrealisitic.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:13 pm
hobitbob, unemployment began to rise in mid 2001, well after the start of the recession, trailing the economic indicators which were already in distinvct downturn. The other indicators are moving up now; employment may be expected to follow as the tide rises. That's not economics; that's logic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:14 pm
timber, Economics is not "logic." It's an art that must consider many variables. That's the reason why so many "economic experts" differ in their opinions.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:18 pm
Ahh, heck, c.i. , I guess I'm just not as much a pessimist as some. I'm comfortable that the corner has been rounded, and that controlled, sustained growth is under way. In fact, with the steady decline of the dollar, imports become less competitive against American product, while American exports become more attractive globally. I figure the bull is back all the way around.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:21 pm
timber, California is the fifth largest economy in the world, and according to the San Jose Mercury News, Californians are falling behind in their mortgage payments. http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6744431.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:25 pm
timber, That is one good sign; that the dollar is losing value against the Euro and Yen, but they have high unemployment problems too.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:30 pm
mamajuana wrote:
One problem among many about the use of "lagging" referring to job loss is that it a continuing (and growing) item. There, it is one of the leading indicators. A jobless recovery is another one of those dreamed-up Bush terms that has no meaning. And, of course, the latest shift in blame is to China, and the yuan against the dollar.

And applications for jobless relief rose sharply. And the market is volatile, so can't really be considered a leading indicator.

So "lagging" becomes a questionable word to use.

I think perhaps, scrat, your understanding of the economic situation may not be so broad or wide as you think. CI is worth listening to - he brings great experience and knowledge to this, and, further, makes sense. The people I know down in the financial district would like to meet you. They also question the word "lagging,"
Every one who has taken an Economic Course knows that, for the large majority of Americans, the value of their homes is the largest part of thier estate.

The question- "How is the economy?" can be answered "Very very good"for some people.

Thode who owned houses in DC or New York or SanFrancisco have gained anywhere from 80 to 50
oercent.
0 Replies