Children Born in US of Illegal Immigrants

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:37 pm
Not to mention, this is a proposal for the biggest 'nanny state' ever envisioned.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
MM, your "solution" is unconstitutional.

A child born in the US is constitutionally (as upheld by the Supreme Court at least twice) as US citizen.

The parent doesn't even have the right to take that away.

I don't know of any age requirement relative to denouncing U.S. citizenship. You are not a constitutional scholar, to say the least.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:01 pm
Citizenship would not have to be denounced. Deport the parents and children, and when the children are 18 they can return legally.

The "we are a nation of immigrants" argument seems silly to me. Yeah, we were, but so was every other country at some point. That doesn't mean we forever and ever amen allow just anybody to cross the border illegally.

We have quotas for immigrants relative to the country from which they come, so adjust those numbers accordingly.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:41 pm
squinney, when has the United States ceased being an immigrant country?

Plus, the United States is the only country in the world being an immigrant country (excluding Israel here).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:50 pm
It hasn't stopped yet. I meant that just because we have been doesn't mean we always have to be. We are a very young country.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:56 am
What makes me really wonder is that some defend the constitution to the outmost - but deny constitunitional rights when THEY don'r like them.

Change the constitution - okay.
But then 'allow' others to apply for (different) changes as well.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:48 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What makes me really wonder is that some defend the constitution to the outmost - but deny constitunitional rights when THEY don'r like them.

Change the constitution - okay.
But then 'allow' others to apply for (different) changes as well.

What in the hell are you talking about? Please give an example.

BTW, the word is "utmost."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
I believe he is referring to the 14th Amendment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 01:59 pm
Advocate wrote:

Well, actually I really choose 'outmost' here instead of 'utmost'.
But when you say that this doesn't give exactly what I wanted to say - thanks for the help.

Well, the are lots of threads focussing on the 2nd amendment, and how it will be taken away ...

Here, in this case, as ebrown noted above and as I already said before, I'm referring to the 14th.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Well, actually I really choose 'outmost' here instead of 'utmost'.
But when you say that this doesn't give exactly what I wanted to say - thanks for the help.

Well, the are lots of threads focussing on the 2nd amendment, and how it will be taken away ...

Here, in this case, as ebrown noted above and as I already said before, I'm referring to the 14th.

No one wants to "take away" A2. There is a strong division relative to its interpretation.

Almost no one contends that a person born here may be treated as a noncitizen. However, anyone may renounce citizenship.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
Somebody mentioned that illegal immigrants take away jobs from legal immigrants. I don't think that is true at all.
Legal immigrants, as myself and millions of others, are mostly skilled and high skilled workers. Illegal immigrants usually do the unskilled dirty work, seasonal work, etc. There is a demand for unskilled workers, as there is less and less of them with time... there is a supply consisting largely of unskilled illegal immigrants... If I were an economist and in the decision-making position, my hunch would be to legalize this de-facto market via guest worker visa or other permit for unskilled work on a temporary basis (i think they already have some for seasonal farm workers), or else it's denying the reality.

As a legal immigrant I can tell you that my job and my friends' jobs are in no way threatened by illegal immigrants. We compete with Americans, and are here also because of the supply-demand mechanism. If it works on the level of skilled labor, why is it failing so miserably in the unskilled labor class?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:21 pm
Cause the people "employing" these illegals profit by playing in the gray.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:23 pm
Yeah, I was going to say that if they legalized it then some people's profits would shrink as they'd have to pay a fair wage and abide by labor laws, as well as withhold taxes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm
Advocate wrote:

Almost no one contends that a person born here may be treated as a noncitizen. However, anyone may renounce citizenship.

A couple of the "almost no ones" responded here, on this thread.
And that's what my post(s) were referring at.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship seems to be no topic here, in my opinion.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:29 pm
so their profits would shrink, I would not cry over that.

But I do know that many people are dependent on illegal workers at this point, because there just isn't enough domestic workers willing to do some of the dirty work... which is OK, such is the case in Europe as well... it's coming to terms with reality. Labor markets change. Supply has shifted so that many if not most of these laborers come from abroad. That's a fact. They come illegaly and so far it is tolerated because the administration and employers do realize they are needed. And has said so repeatedly.

Newark is a good case study in this. As soon as the city dealt with illegal workers, many shops and services downtown were just boarded up. The city emptied. Is that the solution for this country? To kick them all out and lack workers for many of the unskilled job entirely? That does not strike me as a particularly sound approach.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:34 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Advocate wrote:

A couple of the "almost no ones" responded here, on this thread.
And that's what my post(s) were referring at.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship seems to be no topic here, in my opinion.

I never heard or read in the media where anyone contended that those born here may be considered noncitizens.

I previously brought up [renunciation].
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:38 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
so their profits would shrink, I would not cry over that.

Me neither. But I'm guessing those people have lobbyists and that's why the immigration issue is at a stalemate.

I agree with what you say, btw.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:14 pm
Dagmar, your proof is anectdotal, which isn't worth much.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:18 pm
Advocate, it is an opinion, not a "proof"
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:19 pm
...and examples are always anecdotal. Any further points?
0 Replies