What's your dream scenario for Election 2008?

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:03 am
Mine is...

Hillary Clinton gets the Democratic nomination

Rudy Guliani gets the Republican nomination

Micheal Bloomberg seeing the high negativity numbers for both candidates sees an oppurtunity and joins the race. Polls have repeatedly shown that he would siphon more votes from Guliani than from Hillary. And even if he draws support from both sides so that no one gets 270 votes, the Democrat controlled house will get to appoint the next president, so there's little reason for him not to run in that scenario given his political leanings.

A popular christian conversative, angered by the idea of having three socially liberal prochoice new yorkers in the race sees an oppurtunity and joins the race drawing more christian conservatives away from the republican party.

For me, this is the ideal, to have four candidates in the race, each representing the three most popular of the four true political ideologies and to finally fractionalize both the political parties.

Socially Liberal and Economically Liberal - Hillary

Socially Liberal and Economically Centrist (Fiscally Conservative and Sees That Free Trade is a Good Thing But Compassionate to the Plight of the Working Class As Well) - Bloomberg

Socially Centrist and Economically Conservative - Guliani

Socially Conservative and Economically Conservative - Christian Conservative

Bloomberg, once his out of the box evidence based approach to soliving policy problems gets national coverage, in no small part due to his billion dollar campaign, in my dream scenario wins the presidency.

I think Bloomberg has a lot of appeal once you look at how he governs. He is a self described Liberal Libertarian and has called himself a technocrat.

He cares about the plight of the working class and the poor, but instead of just doing the same old things that haven't really solving their underlying problems (tariffs, protectionism, just throwing more money at the problem), he tries novel solutions based on solid economic, psychological and scientific evidence and principles. He bases his policies on facts and evidence and again and again tries totally unorthodox and controversial approaches to solving problems, approaches that economists and psychologists have shown to be effective again and again. And no matter how unpopular his policies were initially, they almost always wound up working exactly as he said they would and he won back the criticizers.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1632736-1,00.html

I would love to see some evidence based public policy come out of the white house by having a technocrat in office.

When you actually consider and reason through all the evidence for some time, I thinks that's around where you end up.

The lower class of americans do face far more challenges than the upper class.

And by helping them get past these obstacles, by making sure that anyone willing to work can earn a living wage (in part by lowering the cost of living by providing healthcare) even the homeless can become productive members of society. This in turn would help all of society, even it's richest members.

But at the same time, not everything liberals argue for is correct. Free trade policies DO work, protectionism stifles both our own economy and the global economy and overall does more harm than good. And poverty and poor education don't go away just by throwing more and more money at them. You have to try novel approaches based on sound proven economic incentives and psychologic principles to get to the root of these problems.

That's why I would describe myself as a "Liberal Libertarian" or a "Technocrat (One Who Goes By Evidence Rather Than Ideology)"

Do you?

Oftentimes, it seems like politicians say and do what FEELS right or what is most politically easy to sell, or most politically convenient rather than doing what all evidence points as the solution that actually works.

Sanctioning a country because we disagree with them FEELS right. Opening up discourse with them and working out a fair comprimise doesn't even though it's been shown to be effective more often than war.

Doctors are required to practice Evidence based medicine. If they don't do what is supported by the evidence, they get sued for it and can even lose their license.

The same isn't expected of politicians.

This is the reason that Micheal Bloomberg as President is looking more and more appealing to me. He's a self declared technocrat. And the policies he institued went with the evidence, and though unpopular, worked, again and again.

This means that he will do what the evidence says he should do, even if it is unpopular. And that's exactly what he did in New York, he cut a lot of programst that weren't working well and raised taxes to put the city back in black. His polls sank when he did it. He took a very hard stance against pollution and global warming, smoking, and banned trans-fats, moves that were unpopular at the time. But guess what, it worked. And New York's economy is much better than it was when he came into office.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,867 • Replies: 26

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:26 am
My dream scenario?

We get a candidate worth voting for.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:28 am
I am elected president. I name not a vice president but an inner circle counsel consisting of Gus, Dys, Kicky and Slap.

Changes are made bitches.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:35 am
BBB
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am elected president. I name not a vice president but an inner circle counsel consisting of Gus, Dys, Kicky and Slap.

Changes are made bitches.

Impeach Bear!

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:39 am
jesus BBB... could you wait a respectful amount of time? The impeachment process needs to be drawn out so I can write a book about the experience and become wealthy. Don't put the cart before the horse please.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:40 am
A write in campaign indicating NONE OF THE ABOVE!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:42 am
Bear
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
jesus BBB... could you wait a respectful amount of time? The impeachment process needs to be drawn out so I can write a book about the experience and become wealthy. Don't put the cart before the horse please.

OK, instead I will call Bernard Kerik to protect your reputation.

BBB
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
Edwards wins the Democratic primary and defeats Giuliani in the general elections. The Democrats win 60 seats in the Senate.

Because of Giuliani's defeat, the Republicans dump the neocon hawks in their party. Predictably arguing that Giuliani was trounced because he wasnt conservative enough, the party's rank and file turns to an isolationist, christian conservative direction. This will keep the party unelectable for a decade or so.

The strength of an Edwards presidency and Democratic supermajority in Congress will then be aided by a pragmatic alliance of sorts that should over time develop with the "Huckabee strand" of christian conservatism that will have gained upwind in the Republican party. Together, these conditions should make it possible to move through ambitious measures to combat poverty and middle class income insecurity, expanded health care coverage, new programs to get quality education in place even in tough city districts and poor rural areas, strong policies to protect the environment, and increased development aid.

Yeah, I know, never gonna happen. But you asked..
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:56 pm
Apparently the Dems have nothing new to offer either.

So, the election is either "stay the course" (Rep.) or replay past failures (Dems). Rolling Eyes

...and I wonder why I feel no excitement over this election. Razz

Halfback
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:34 pm
Halfback wrote:
Apparently the Dems have nothing new to offer either.

Bull.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
John McCain wins in a landslide over the Democratic candidate, and the GOP reclaims a solid majority in both houses of the Congress.

First though, we need to get through the conventions. If the GOP nomination isn't locked up tightly prior to the convention, I expect McCain to be our flag-bearer. I expect Clinton, Obama and Edwards to continue to publicly ridicule and attack one another. After all, that's the Democratic Way. I imagine that Clinton or Obama will be the Democratic candidate, and both will have so alienated the other's partisans that unity in the final campaign will be minimal. The Democratic habit of character assassination and wild promises will insure that the Democratic candidate will go into the final campaign badly blemished.

The Democratic candidate will have to defend the failures of the Congress that they control. Democratic failures highlights the jingoistic attacks that they've been conducting against the current administration in the past. When will Clinton discover that President Bush isn't running? Will Obama come to understand that most Americans aren't ready to abandon tried and true approaches for the idealism of a political opportunist? The best thing these three candidates have going for them, other than a well-funded liberal media establishment, is that their promises and personal conduct are so far afield from American traditional values that only the most radical leftists believe in them. Oh well ... Time will tell, won't it?

I expect that the radical left will continue to do well for their poster child in the urban areas of the Northeast and West Coast. The GOP should do well in rural America, the Midwest, South and Southwest.
nimh

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:50 pm
Asherman wrote:
I expect Clinton, Obama and Edwards to continue to publicly ridicule and attack one another. After all, that's the Democratic Way.

Team Rudy Hits Back At McCain On Kerik, Romney Piles On
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:52 am
Thanks, nimh. I snorted at that line and prepared to go off and find the first counter-example I could, and while I'm sure it wouldn't have been that difficult (they snipesnipesnipe), I appreciate being spared the effort. (And with a good/ clear example.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:43 pm
Yeah, here's another amusing example:

Meow! Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 02:08 am
Asherman wrote:
John McCain wins in a landslide over the Democratic candidate, and the GOP reclaims a solid majority in both houses of the Congress.

Ditto
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:35 am
nimh wrote-

Quote:
Because of Giuliani's defeat, the Republicans dump the neocon hawks in their party. Predictably arguing that Giuliani was trounced because he wasnt conservative enough, the party's rank and file turns to an isolationist, christian conservative direction. This will keep the party unelectable for a decade or so.

That's normal tactics. You make such a mess of the finances that you are happy to hand it to the other side to be sorted out which, in doing so, or trying to, becomes so unpopular that they are unelectable for two decades. Or three.

If you want to punish the Republicans you should make them sort out their own mess. It's easy spending borrowed money. It's getting it paid back that is unpopular.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:39 am
I would like to see Mrs Clinton fail to get the nomination after being favourite in the betting right up to the delegates vote at the convention.

I'd love it.
Centroles

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 12:28 am
@spendius,
Well done spendius, you win.

Or should I call you nostradamus.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:15 am
@Asherman,
It looks like my "dream scenario" of a year ago has essentially come true up to this point. The Democrats are still running against Pres. Bush, and their failure to accomplish anything in the Congress they control has made it even less popular than the lame-duck GOP administration. Obama has raised huge donations from wealthy Leftist celebrates, and he's decided to opt out of the public financing which was intended to reform how campaigns are paid for.

Since my posting my "dream scenario" Obama's association with unrepentant Weather Underground terrorist, and a racial bigoted church and pastor have come to light. He's pretty much lined up the professional and Left wing support of his Party, though the Clinton supporters remain at best luke warm to him. His willingness to cut and run in Iraq claiming the whole thing a terrible disaster has backfired as the surge supported by McCain has succeeded in bringing that contest to an honorable conclusion.

McCain's campaign sputtered, but he resisted pressure to quit and ended up seizing the GOP banner prior to the Convention. The biggest problem that McCain has had is energizing the more radical base of the GOP who have long been offended by his independence and willingness to cross Party lines on principles and issues he believes are in the whole nation's interests. His independence and commitment to real change was demonstrated, once again, when he chose an obscure Governor as his VP running mate.

Gov. Palin has appealed and energized the more radical GOP base, a weakness in the McCain campaign. She appeals to women voters, and her nomination has dominated Press reports for the past few critical weeks. Palin's nomination has unsettled the Democrats and made a shambles of their apparent earlier campaign strategy.

Americans tend to believe in the myth that any ordinary citizen is capable of serving as President of the United States, and that the Federal government needs fixing by throwing out all of the professional political "rascals". This was one of Obama's strengths until the campaign revealed his "elitist" backers. His lack of political experience made him seem a "common man of the People", even though he is a product of elite schools and is part of the Chicago political machine. The appeal of being an "outside" who is just a regular, ordinary citizen has shifted to the McCain-Palin ticket. Alaska is perhaps vestige of the American frontier where a truly ordinary citizen can rise from obscurity to political prominence. Palin has a much broader appeal to voters who want to send an "outsider" to Washington than any of the other candidates, and that mocks Obama's claim to being THE outsider.

Whether its wise to send an inexperienced novice to Washington to manage the most powerful nation in the world where complex issues and sound judgment is required, or not is debatable. The Democrats want us to send an untested young man to be President on the basis of his charisma and idealism. The GOP's "common citizen" candidate is running for the less sensitive Vice Presidential slot, while we run a well known and courageous change agent for the Presidency.

I think this will be a close race.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
@Asherman,
I hope you're right Ash.

My dream scenario is a nail-biting finish, better than 2000, in which Mr McCain squeaks home on a hanging chad which has an angle of dangle the USSC deems a vote by 5 to 4. Then my 6-1 bet would be up. I prefer a ding dong battle up the finishing straight to a runaway. Not that I mind the latter mind you.

The scenes we were shown of Florida in 2000 were hilarious.

Just think though if Mr Gore had won. And you now had the moral high ground on green footprints. (I don't think.)
0 Replies