Saved a Relapsing Acoholic's Life this AM (12th step call)

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 04:47 pm
Three weeks ago, one of the guys I began recovery with died due to acohol poisoning, his liver shut down. I hadn't seen a lot of the people in the program, some surely, I feared had relapsed. I found an od phone ist and started calling everyone. A few days, this one guy, I will call him Jeff, called me back when he was drunk. He went on and on and started slobbering about what a great person I was then I finally got the news in about "Warren" and that momentarily "sobered him up." Jeff had 9 months clean and he had shared about the fact that his liver functions were nearly gone when he had gotten sober. He admitted to relapsing (like I couldn't tel!) Then, he started talking about wanted to get clean, etc. I didn't know what to do so I called my sponsor, she asked if seemed suicidal and at that time he wasn't.

Last night, he called me and after taking awhile, I got the definite feeling that he was suicidal. In fact, he even said he was considering taking some pills and "going out." He kept saying he had a plan for him and another relapser to go into rehab together on Monday (denial) Anyway, I hung up called my sponsor, called the AA central office to do a 12th step call---that's when someone from AA with experience visits the alcoholic and tries to help him or her get help. Anyway, back and forth with some guy at AA and my sponsor and Jeff, kept getting his voice mail. Finally, around 11pm, my sponsor got through, they spoke for close to an hour, she said he was definitely suicidal, said he kept jabbering on about what a high regard he had for me and she thought the only course of action was to go done there together. She said he definitely is indicating he wants to get help. (Go into detox)

So I pick my sponsor up and we get there about 2am, I comforted him and just about had him agreeing to go but then he turned mean, he grabbed a bottle of pills and said he was going to take them, when he turned his head, my sponsor dumped most of the pills in his purse. He picked up the container and realized most of the pills were gone and lashed out at my sponsor for taking them. She said she had to use the bathroom, when she got back she told me she had called 911. It was the only resort we had.

Two really great San Mateo officers arrived, a man and a woman, we expained the situation and agreed that a 5150 was in order. Taken the subject in custody for his own protection. Of course, Jeff reacted angrily, his alcoholic mind thinking we betrayed him. he told my sponsor she was never welcome in his house, he started crying to me that he coudln't believe I would do this to him. I consoled him for awhile, then suddenly he said that he would go in vountariy, not even realizing he was already being 5150'd. The male cop said a ride was coming for him then he thoght he was going to jail. We assured him he was not.

He wanted to put on a pair of jeans so he changed and asked everyone to turn their back. Jeff is gay and he accused the male cop of trying to ook at his penis! The cop was really cool and just played along with him. "Oh yeah, I am gay, don't know how you figured me out but just don't tell my wife! (I said to my sponsor that if we were in Kansas, the cop would like beat the crap ot of Jeff for comments like that.) The cop thought that was funny too.

So while we awaited for the ride, Jeff calmed down and thanked me and my sponsor for helping him. I am just hoping he will get clean and not relapse again. My sponsor said he really does want help and myabe this is his last relapse. (Who knows?)

Right now, he is being held in the detox unit at the hospital for 72 hours, after that, we hope he goes into residential treatment as he said he wanted to do.

My sponsor said she thinks that "I" saved someone life this morning. I tis pretty awesome to think I did after only 7 months of sobriety. I keep hearing from a lot of people in the program how I am thought of as a role model. It is still so hard for me to grasp that concept.

I do have a real knack for helping people though, I would really to be a drug counselor and be able to help people 24/7. The downside is that it doesn't pay much and I would need to take a bunch of courses. The upside is I would be doing something worthwhile and it is something I coud continue doing for the rest of my life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,544 • Replies: 49
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 05:29 pm
Er....aren't you supposed to be doing good in secret?
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 05:31 pm
Way to go, Roxxxanne!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 05:42 pm
dlowan wrote:

No.

This isn't "who was that masked man" stuff.

The anonymous, as you must know, is about not talking to others about who you know is in AA. Roxanne did not break any of the traditions.

I think this qualifies more under "sharing experience, strength and hope"

You've had quite an experience rox...which has given you stength, and hope for the other person.

The most important thing, regardless of the outcome, is that it kept YOU sober.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 05:45 pm
Chai wrote:
dlowan wrote:

No.

This isn't "who was that masked man" stuff.

The anonymous, as you must know, is about not talking to others about who you know is in AA. Roxanne did not break any of the traditions.

I think this qualifies more under "sharing experience, strength and hope"

You've had quite an experience rox...which has given you stength, and hope for the other person.

The most important thing, regardless of the outcome, is that it kept YOU sober.

I know no such thing.

I don't know anything about this AA stuff, and do not intend to.

My comment was a more general one, about not trumpeting one's good deeds.

Differ as you will, but do not tell me what I "must know".
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
didn't mean that in the way you obviously took it dlowan....

the "as you must know" was written as in....

"As you must know, more and more children these days are obese."
I figured it was pretty much common knowledge, but apparantly it's not.

Don't take offense where none was meant.

I didnt' take it at all as "trumpeting one's good deeds", as I've listened to stories like this for decades, and know it's exciting to help another person, and there's no need for me to differ with anything.

Whether you want to or not, now you know what the Anonymous is Alcoholics Anonymous stands for. It's not a secret do-good thing, it's a respect one's privacy thing.

I'd say lighten up, up then you think I was telling you what to do. So just be any old way you want to be.

Roxanne, good thing someone was there to call 911, I missed that part in your story.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:18 pm
I think back to reading the posts here from people asking for advice here about issues involving alcoholism/addiction and refusing to seek help form AA or Al-anon, I think it's vital that people know there is help out there.

Eight months ago, I never dreamed I would be able to reach out to people like this. I do an awful ot of work that I never mention here as I am sure lots of us do. But stories like this need to be told. And these incidents are exactly the type of stuff that one relates when one speaks for AA, which I now do.

Putting into words helps me formulate my thoughts around the event. This is a two way street, I posted lots of stuff about my life that is less than flattering.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:26 pm
That was a significant episode for you, Roxxx. I think those classes would be interesting, whether you go into counselling or not.

I'm sure it is also a bummer when ---

ok, I'm finally going to look up how to spell counsellor ---
here we go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counseling

--- when counsellors lose the person to suicide.

Tough road, probably a longish one to develop one's sturdiness at it, and vital.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
Roxxxanne,

I am so proud of you.

I am thanking your higher power that you called your sponsor and did not try to do the 12 step call alone. Under no circumstance do you ever do a 12 step call by yourself. You did all the right things and hopefully the person you are trying to help has had their last drink/drug.

We must not forget as alcoholics that the name of the game is progress not perfection. This person went back out because he has not hit his bottom. It hurts us to see this happen because it makes us fearful, but always remember "that for the grace of God go I." The alcoholic/drug addict has to drink every drink and do every drug that gets him/her to their bottom.

One big GOLD STAR for you.

Sg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:25 pm
Chai wrote:
I didnt' take it at all as "trumpeting one's good deeds", ...

In this case, Chai, trumpeting one's good deeds is certainly what it's all about.

The Kansan deep inside of me just wants to beat the crap out of people who do that.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:25 pm
Sglass wrote:
Roxxxanne,

I am so proud of you.

I am thanking your higher power that you called your sponsor and did not try to do the 12 step call alone. Under no circumstance do you ever do a 12 step call by yourself. You did all the right things and hopefully the person you are trying to help has had their last drink/drug.

We must not forget as alcoholics that the name of the game is progress not perfection. This person went back out because he has not hit his bottom. It hurts us to see this happen because it makes us fearful, but always remember "that for the grace of God go I." The alcoholic/drug addict has to drink every drink and do every drug that gets him/her to their bottom.

One big GOLD STAR for you.

Sg

I hope this is his bottom. I don't think his liver can take much more.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
That was a significant episode for you, Roxxx. I think those classes would be interesting, whether you go into counselling or not.

I'm sure it is also a bummer when ---

ok, I'm finally going to look up how to spell counsellor ---
here we go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counseling

--- when counsellors lose the person to suicide.

Tough road, probably a longish one to develop one's sturdiness at it, and vital.

Download Firefox, it has a spell checker built in.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:40 pm
To quote Dlowan,

Jesus wept.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:11 pm
Is Rockhead Tico's altie?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:37 pm
Eh, spellcheck is a pain, I almost alway say something like "I'm" and that is flagged before any word I might want to check. Yes, I've learned to put the to be checked word on top of my paragraph, or check many of the google options. But, I don't always care, which, in the case of counsellor, I haven't/just checked.

But wait, it's not clear to me I'm part of the present aggro here.

Plus, I'm usually good enough at spelling but am a typo fool.

Pass me the cookies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:39 pm
No, Rockhead is not a Ticomaya altie.

Ahem, there are two Ticos, one a nickname and one a full a2k name, and they are quite different people.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:27 am
ossobuco wrote:

For sure.

Their photies DO, however, bear an almost alarming resemblance....

:wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:28 am
ossobuco wrote:

Ahem, there are two Ticos, one a nickname and one a full a2k name, and they are quite different people.

So you have seen Ticomaya and Rockhead in a room together?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:30 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

So you have seen Ticomaya and Rockhead in a room together?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Only here:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/images/avatars/1652591454470e97bcd79ab.jpg

http://www.able2know.org/forums/images/avatars/428852444443159de138b7.gif

Methinks you need an irony tablet....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
ossobuco wrote:

One's a he ... one's a she ... and one's a monolith from Easter Island.
0 Replies