The Radio as the Eight Great Power

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:31 pm
The Nazis were convinced of the power of the spoken word.

Adolf Hitler ordered shortly after his rise to power in 1933, German radio manufacturers to produce the Volksempfänger ("People's Receiver") named VE301 as an inexpensive , means to give every German family access to the Nazi Party's Radio broadcasts, to ensure that the Nazi propaganda machine was able to transmit to all homes.

The name VE301 was taken to remind at the 30.1.1933 day of Adolf Hitler's rise to power.

Made to Third Reich specifications, its an insensitive two-tube regenerative receiver which was not capable of receiving distant allied radio stations - the chief design criterion.

http://www2.fht-esslingen.de/telehistory/pics/volks.gif
(Poster text: Throughout Germany, everyone listens to the Führer)

http://www.ironradio.com/vf301wdyn1.jpg

In this speech* given 70 years ago, on 18 August 1933, Goebbels develops his thinking on the directions German radio would take. The occasion was the opening of a radio exhibition. As Goebbels notes, a cheap radio receiver, the Volksempfänger, had just been introduced as a way of making the radio affordable for the average citizen.

*link to website with "this speech"

A welknown joke of the 30's was:
Lieber Gott, mach mich taub,
dass ich nicht am Radio schraub!

(Dear lord, let me become deaf
so that I don't turn the radio dial
)

That was, because listening to foreign stations was to punished with jail, later capital punishment:
http://members.aol.com/gaclasen/ve301-1.jpg
(Text: Listening to foreign radio staions is a severe crime against national security of our nation. On order of the Führer, this will be punished with longduring penal servitudes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,445 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:38 pm
Yes, well, Hitler's only expertise was propaganda and media manipulation. He knew nothing about governance, about the military, about diplomacy, and he badly misjudged the effect of his plans for conquest.

When it came to the political game of manipulating public opinion, however, he has had few equals in history. I've read him quoted as saying somthing to the effect that it is well that the average voter is so stupid.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:43 pm
Goebels said something like (quoting from memory) 'the Nazis came to power 50, 60, 70 or even 80% due to propaganda on the radio'.

Some voters today are as stupid - everywhere.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:02 pm
Goebels was pretty good at propaganda as well. So was that lady, what's her name again? She is still studied today for the art of the propaganda film.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:42 pm
Reifenstahl, or something like that? No you've put a bug in my ear, CdK . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 02:43 pm
I'll look it up in my book at home.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Riefenstahl.
0 Replies

Setanta

Lenni Riefenstahl, eh, Walter?