Iselin, New Jersey

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:46 pm
This is Maplewood as I remember it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Maplewood_NJ_winter_from_SO_Reservation.jpg/800px-Maplewood_NJ_winter_from_SO_Reservation.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:04 pm
And here's a link to the city page for ya, Thomas:
Maplewood

even if you don't consider settling there, you may wind up there for a walk in a park or for a Sloppy Joe (a famous triple decker rye bread sandwich with ham or pastrami or beef or tongue with a heap of cole slaw) - a MUST! Sloppy joes were invented in Maplewood in 1930s, named by Maplewood Mayor Sweeney who visited Sloppy Joe's bar in Havana, Cuba... who knows how it really was, but you'll find great Russian delis that have them. If only I could remember the name of that one deli that has the best sloppy joes on this planet. That may be serious enough matter to discuss with the Ex who's from there....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:12 pm
http://midnightsnack.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/cropped-midnightsnackheader-rockwell-26.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:28 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
http://midnightsnack.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/cropped-midnightsnackheader-rockwell-26.jpg

Mmmmmm ... Now you've got my attention Dag! But Maplewood looks georgeous, too.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:30 pm
... and it's just a nice weekend's bike ride away from Iselin.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
it should be, if you take the back roads... I seem to remember the Nat's Deli... don't think it's The One.... but I emailed the Ex (The Monster himself) and will know soon where to direct you. Hope they're still in business. Man oh man, I'll have to come visit you just for those sloppy joe's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
Bookstore in Westfield -
http://www.townbookstore.com/
(That, plus Edcon press, and a Barnes and Noble)
Westfield is the place the had the Trader Joe's grocery..

Seems not too much in Highland Park re bookstores, but can't tell about the Orion bookstore.

Also in Metuchen, (not sure what bookstore Walter showed earlier), is this one on Main Street -
http://members.aol.com/raconteurbooks/
431 Main Street, Metuchen
They've a Barnes and Noble there too.

Op Metuchen Books
465 Main St, Metuchen, NJ
(732) 767-1480[CODE]

Pyramid Books
431 Main St, Metuchen, NJ
(732) 906-8956
same address as the Raconteur...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:55 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
don't think it's The One.... but I emailed the Ex (The Monster himself) and will know soon where to direct you. Hope they're still in business. Man oh man, I'll have to come visit you just for those sloppy joe's.

I'm grateful for your sacrifice, will be happy to have you as my guest, and look forward to our bike ride to "The One" deli in Maplewood. As long as you're not too fast.

I'm impressed Ossobucco: Downtown Metuchen seems to have more bookstores than downtown Dallas!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:04 pm
straight from the horse's mouth

The Monster wrote:
hey hot daggers - town hall deli in south orange - it closed for over a year, but now reopened in an old meineke muffler shop. they refurbished the muffler shop before they reopened, of course. re: the car, i would say roughly 11, mais chaqu'un a son gout!

the 11 re: the car is a response to my question about how miserable you would be without a car long-term on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the miserablest Laughing The Monster used to be an avid biker himself, but now is a plastic surgeon and drives a baby blue Mercedes, bwaaahahahaha (sorry, got carried away there for a second... )
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
The Monster used to be an avid biker himself, but now is a plastic surgeon and drives a baby blue Mercedes, bwaaahahahaha (sorry, got carried away there for a second... )

It sure explains why he knows so much about Muffler shops. Thanks for the info! The Daggers is now mentally bookmarked.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
Krauser's Grocery, Metuchen
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=10999788

Metuchen Food Market

A & P (market), Metuchen

Grocery stores, Westfield

Grocery stores in Highland Park
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm
Celery soda?

ewwwwwww
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:36 pm
JPB wrote:
Celery soda?

ewwwwwww

I'm sure they'll also let me order the traditional German drink of Diet Coke.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
Thomas wrote:
JPB wrote:
Celery soda?

ewwwwwww

I'm sure they'll also let me order the traditional German drink of Diet Coke.
Only if you order it in the 64 oz size to go with a triple-fat burger and extra large order of fries. The truly american way.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
don't think it's The One.... but I emailed the Ex (The Monster himself) and will know soon where to direct you. Hope they're still in business. Man oh man, I'll have to come visit you just for those sloppy joe's.

I'm grateful for your sacrifice, will be happy to have you as my guest, and look forward to our bike ride to "The One" deli in Maplewood. As long as you're not too fast.

I'm impressed Ossobucco: Downtown Metuchen seems to have more bookstores than downtown Dallas!

Yes it does. Downtown Dallas is all Insurance, Law and Oil companies. Very boring.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
Quote:
Thanks for asking her! What did she tell you about Metuchen? (Today I talked with a colleague who used to live there -- he says the name is Native American, and it's pronounced Me-touch-en.)

All she cared about was the pronunciation, like Coxsackie, NY.

Also had some thoughts about Princeton as a possible living place, since, though it would require commuting to work, all other living could be accomplished by foot power.

I used to think of California as the state of commuters -- but that was before I ever spent time with the in-laws in New Jersey. Good luck bucking the trend! (Bike trouble has put me on foot in Wisconsin until I can fix that back wheel over the weekend...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
DR BROWNS CELERAY SODA< IS ABOUT THE ONLY THING NJ HAS GOING FOR IT. (Other than the charming little town of MAhwah)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
Celery soda? Interesting..... does it go with vodka?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 07:26 pm
littlek wrote:
Celery soda? Interesting..... does it go with vodka?

It may go with a V-8.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
Um, I think the vodka goes with the V8.
0 Replies