Iselin, New Jersey

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 10:33 am
I've been trying to make sense of the rail lines, via wikipedia.

Here's an example, a line with Metuchen on it (and I see on some google map a clear line between Metuchen and Iselin but don't know if that's a road or what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Corridor_Line

Is New Brunswick where Rutgers is? hmmm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 10:54 am
Thomas wrote:
(Can you tell my company is going through a phase of restructuring?)

Some phrase of restructing? To quote the Süddeutsche: There are signs of a revolution at XXX: XXX will get a tightly organised structure.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 11:07 am
Sweet, we left NJ when I was five. Long before I met RP. I think it was kind of a bedroom community for Trenton but now it's more like a bedroom community for NYC plus, of course, with its own stuff. Iselin, I think, is where the Turnpike Authority has their offices.

PS Osso -- Rutgers is in lots of places, including New Brunswick. My mother got her Masters' of Library Science there when I was but a wee jes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 11:19 am
<my italian teacher, as in italian from italy, got a second doctorate there... somewhere>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:09 pm
I was boin in Joysey!

(bookmark)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:23 pm
I was living for a while in Hackensack, NJ, and almost every weekend
we drove down to Sandy Hook or Asbury Park. The beach communities around there are very pleasant, so are the houses. I'd prefer living there to
being more inland. I also liked Toms River a lot.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:59 pm
New Jersey... The Motherland...

I lived there for 24 years, and miss it still.

Iselin doesn't have much going for it as a place to live, but there are plenty of good options nearby... Metuchen being one of them. (My wifes cousin lives there, and loves it.)

Do you plan on commuting by car, or by public transport ? Either way, you should be fine. I lived about 20 miles north of Iselin and commuted by train to Clark every day for a couple of years and it wasn't too bad.

I would check out towns like Montclair, Highland Park,or Westfield.

Aidan's post was pretty accurate.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 01:56 pm
As others here have indicated, Iselin is a major hub on the rail line connecting New York and Washington. It is also a major center for corporate offices. Several firms I have been associated with have regional offices there.

The area combines some fairly run down post industrial towns (some being rapidly rebuilt and regentrified) and others of remarkable unspoiled natural beauty and attractiveness. Not much in the nearby Philadelphia area that I like, but lots of attractive things and areas nearby in New Jersey - as others here have noted. It is very easy to generalize based on popular images of the region, but the facts are much more varied than these images. You will be centrally located in a region with lots of economic activity and enormous variety - something there for everyone - and you will find it very easy to move about in the larger region from Boston to Washington. A very good spot from my perspective.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 02:17 pm
as long as breathing mercaptans and amine compounds isnt a problem. Anyone who has worked in engineering has been stationed in Edison NJ, which is nearby.
Im not too fond of the area because it has very little natural beauty, too built up and , I can recall, on any given Saturday when Id be working at my Edison office, Itd take hours to get a few miles, the traffic was so bad.

I actually quit doing almost any contract environmnetal consulting for the big companies that had offices up there.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:30 pm
Hi Lion Tamer, and thanks for another informative post! Montclair, Highland Park, andWestfield are mentally bookmarked along with Metuchen.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Thomas wrote:
(Can you tell my company is going through a phase of restructuring?)

Some phrase of restructing? To quote the Süddeutsche: There are signs of a revolution at XXX: XXX will get a tightly organised structure.

"Organized structure"? Pffff! Such a silly phrase can only come from one of those newbie top managers who don't know how things are done at our company.

Hi littlek, CalamityJane, georgeob1 and farmerman. I see we have a bit of controversy among the latter two. (I'm the son of two chemists. I drank mercaptans and amine compounds in my mother's milk. (Perhaps even literally.))
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:35 pm
Thomas wrote:
"Organized structure"? Pffff! Such a silly phrase can only come from one of those newbie top managers who don't know how things are done at our company.

Well, you know, when an Austran with a MBA from the Chinese University of Hong Kong is CEO - what do you expect him to announce? :wink:
(He actually said it to the Welt as well.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:45 pm
Iselin is at the Metropark railway station on the North-East corridor, and I generally like to commute by public transportation. (Which is quite embarrassing to me, being a libertarian and all.) So what do people here think of the other cities along the Northeast corridor? We already have Metuchen covered. Any opinions about the other cities? Based on commuting distance, the Northeast Corridor candidates are:
  • New Brunswick (partly covered in previous posts about Highland Park)
  • Edison
  • Metuchen (covered)
  • Metro Park (That's the station for Iselin, so covered.)
  • Rahway
  • Elisabeth; North Elisabeth
  • Newark
  • Hoboken
  • Midtown Manhattan (somewhere around Penn Station)

Any thoughts, observations, or opinions about these?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
Forget Newark and Hoboken - two awful, crime riddled cities. If I had
to choose between your options, I'd go for Midtown Manhattan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:09 pm
Thomas wrote:
Iselin is at the Metropark railway station on the North-East corridor, and I generally like to commute by public transportation. (Which is quite embarrassing to me, being a libertarian and all.) So what do people here think of the other cities along the Northeast corridor? We already have Metuchen covered. Any opinions about the other cities? Based on commuting distance, the Northeast Corridor candidates are:
  • New Brunswick (partly covered in previous posts about Highland Park)
  • Edison
  • Metuchen (covered)
  • Metro Park (That's the station for Iselin, so covered.)
  • Rahway
  • Elisabeth; North Elisabeth
  • Newark
  • Hoboken
  • Midtown Manhattan (somewhere around Penn Station)

Any thoughts, observations, or opinions about these?

If you can afford Manhattan, whyever wouldn't you?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:26 pm
Many many reasons why to not live in mid-Manhattan even if it's affordable. You have to be a hardcore urban type to want to live in Manhattan. If Thomas is, great. I myself would never live in Manhattan though. Even if I worked there, I think I'd rather commute in from Jersey. It's fun for about a week, then it's torture (for ME.. There is plenty of people who love the City and cannot live anywhere else). I'd miss the trees and grass and quiet.

Jersey has some gorgeous nature reservations, bird watching parks, wetlands. It really has a beautiful countryside.
I know the Oranges and Maplewood well - it's not far and it's a pretty residential neighborhood, with parks with gorgeous vistas overlooking New York skyline.... but the property taxes have skyrocketed in the last decade. And gas lamps, that add charm to these areas.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:31 pm
dlowan wrote:

So I can afford to eat, too.

I can afford Manhattan, but (1) it's a close shave financially, and I don't like close financial shaves. (2) The kind of Manhattan apartment I can afford is smaller than I would like. I probably won't be able to afford a second bedroom for visitors, for example. (3) The landlords of the kind of apartment I want may not want me as a tenant. With most of New York's housing market being rent-controlled, and with New York City laws making it extra hard to evict renters who don't pay, landlords in New York city are extra vigilant about your credit record. I currently have no American credit record -- not even a bad one. That makes me a hard sell for New York city landlords, but not New Jersey landlords.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:33 pm
Shocked were you raised near oil refineries Thomas?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:35 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Many many reasons why to not live in mid-Manhattan even if it's affordable. You have to be a hardcore urban type to want to live in Manhattan. If Thomas is, great. I myself would never live in Manhattan though. Even if I worked there, I think I'd rather commute in from Jersey. It's fun for about a week, then it's torture (for ME.. There is plenty of people who love the City and cannot live anywhere else). I'd miss the trees and grass and quiet.

Jersey has some gorgeous nature reservations, bird watching parks, wetlands. It really has a beautiful countryside.
I know the Oranges and Maplewood well - it's not far and it's a pretty residential neighborhood, with parks with gorgeous vistas overlooking New York skyline.... but the property taxes have skyrocketed in the last decade. And gas lamps, that add charm to these areas.

Yeah...even after only three weeks in Manhattan, we longed for proper green! But I loved it, nonetheless...

Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

So I can afford to eat, too.

I can afford Manhattan, but (1) it's a close shave financially, and I don't like close financial shaves. (2) The kind of Manhattan apartment I can afford is smaller than I would like. I probably won't be able to afford a second bedroom for visitors, for example. (3) The landlords of the kind of apartment I want may not want me as a tenant. With most of New York's housing market being rent-controlled, and with New York City laws making it extra hard to evict renters who don't pay, landlords in New York city are extra vigilant about your credit record. I currently have no American credit record -- not even a bad one. That makes me a hard sell for New York city landlords, but not New Jersey landlords.

Then you would come under my criteria for "can't afford it".

If you have no money left over to really enjoy a place like Manhattan, I don't really see the point.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
dagmaraka wrote:

Hi Dag -- that does sound gorgeous. I'll look into the Oranges and Maplewood.

farmerman wrote:
Shocked were you raised near oil refineries Thomas?

No, but when I was born, safety procedures in labs were extremely permissive. If it's a poisonous organic chemical, you can assume that my mother inhaled it at some point.

dlowan wrote:
Then you would come under my criteria for "can't afford it".

Don't be so direct about it please, I'm still in denial.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
Since your at Metropark, living in Wilmington Delaware is a nice exchange. There are lots of upscale neighborhoods that dont cost outlandis prices for closets.(You can buy an old Dupont MAnsion for under 250000).
Western and Northern New Jersey in the Boonton to Highpoint areas are still unf**cked up. Jersey is the worlds experiment of how NOT to build for people. Stay away from places like the Oranges,Elizabeth, Kearney.
0 Replies