Iselin, New Jersey

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:33 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
You realize this largely depends on whether Thomas enjoys "The Simpsons."

A mean, but powerful point. I love the Simpson. (I might as take this opportunity to out Blatham, who is also an inside-the-closet Simpsons lover.) As for Fox News, it's a channel I've long stopped paying attention to, so can't express a qualified opinion about.

Chai wrote:
Here's the upshot....

A very astute summary. The only thing you forgot was the New Jersey Pizza you recommended. I tried it, and do indeed like it very much. Too much, actually.

Chai wrote:
Next up....Thomas goes to Circut City and buys a TV. Stay tuned.

Nope.

blatham wrote:
The Consumer Reports 2008 Buying Guide is up on the news-stands now. It is digest-sized so easy to toss in satchel or large pocket.

This Report is torture! It incites a war between my rational, judge-by-the-numbers self, which instructs me to buy a Toyota Camry or Corolla, and my irrational German chauvinist self, which wants to buy a 3-series BMW or a C-class Mercedes. It makes me want to say with the Mythbusters: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

dlowan wrote:
I do find Spader interesting...have since "Sex, Lies and Videotape."

You just liked the "loud" sister's earrings. Admit it!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:36 pm
Thomas, Family guy is the program. (Stewie runs Fox News)

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:45 pm
Asphalt rolled over whatever opinions I had, gasp, gasp...

oh, wait, Thomas is not now living in Iselin, nor any closer burgs I and others murmured about.

Whatever, re anyone's recommendations, is there a need for an inter thread war? If so, I don't get it.

We all wish Thomas a good experience, a long time good experience.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:19 pm
I never liked Thomas. I don't care if he lives in Joisey or drives a Buick. He should probably drive a Checker just like William F Buckley III.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
Hey Thomas, I'm trying to move a '50 Packard....

RH
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
[quote="Thomas]
dlowan wrote:
I do find Spader interesting...have since "Sex, Lies and Videotape."

You just liked the "loud" sister's earrings. Admit it![/quote][/quote]

If I had any idea what you are talking about, I would know whether to admit it or not.

Are we discussing a loud sister in S,L%V, or in Boston Legal?

What were the earrings like?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:32 pm
Hoops
http://media.trendmill.com/static/422/bigHoops.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:36 pm
or, Hoopa, as the case may be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:44 pm
dlowan wrote:

In S, L, & V. The earrings, or, more precisely, one of them were the corpus delicti. Andie McDowell finds it while vacuuming her bedroom.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:46 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Whatever, re anyone's recommendations, is there a need for an inter thread war? If so, I don't get it.

I don't think there is an inter-thread war.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:58 pm
Good then.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:42 am
Quote:
blatham wrote:
The Consumer Reports 2008 Buying Guide is up on the news-stands now. It is digest-sized so easy to toss in satchel or large pocket.

thomas: This Report is torture! It incites a war between my rational, judge-by-the-numbers self, which instructs me to buy a Toyota Camry or Corolla, and my irrational German chauvinist self, which wants to buy a 3-series BMW or a C-class Mercedes. It makes me want to say with the Mythbusters: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Understood. A fine compromise would be the Acuras. They are rather richer on the interior than the Camry or Corolla and as to handling, they are a very close match to the german sedans.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:46 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

In S, L, & V. The earrings, or, more precisely, one of them were the corpus delicti. Andie McDowell finds it while vacuuming her bedroom.

So...it's a waste thing.

People ought to be more careful about their belongings, so we would not produce so much CO2.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:53 am
george wrote
Quote:
I don't have much regard for any of the news media including both Fox and the self-proclaimed "respectable" ones that so loudly claim virtue for confining the obvious elements of their polemics to pages labelled "opinion" or "analysis". Firstly the device is at best a thin veneer. More importantly the far more pervasive bias they apply is subtly done by omission, emphasis and placement in the paper. The "standard" TV media do the same, none more effectively than NPR. Fox has only the virtue of being open and brazen in its devices. As a result it and its radio counterparts drive the establishment types crazy. Good for them. In the information marketplace the rule is "Let the buyer beware".

It isn't merely that you don't attend to media analysis. You've just clarified that you don't watch tv and don't read much print news.

How you can write the above, with self-conviction that you actually know what you are talking about, isn't an epistemological question, it is a psychological question.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 09:07 am
dlowan wrote:
So...it's a waste thing.

People ought to be more careful about their belongings, so we would not produce so much CO2.

All I know is that Andy McDowal got pissed off when she vacuumed her and her husband's bedroom and found her sister's earrings. You are more familiar with gal psychology than I am. So I'll trust you when you say this is a waste issue.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:55 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
blatham wrote:

thomas: This Report is torture! It incites a war between my rational, judge-by-the-numbers self, which instructs me to buy a Toyota Camry or Corolla, and my irrational German chauvinist self, which wants to buy a 3-series BMW or a C-class Mercedes. It makes me want to say with the Mythbusters: "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Understood. A fine compromise would be the Acuras. They are rather richer on the interior than the Camry or Corolla and as to handling, they are a very close match to the german sedans.

Thomas, you were in my Acura RL when we drove to Cedarburg.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:
So...it's a waste thing.

All I know is that Andy McDowal got pissed off when she vacuumed her and her husband's bedroom and found her sister's earrings. You are more familiar with gal psychology than I am. So I'll trust you when you say this is a waste issue.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You've out-ironied me.

Bastid.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 11:18 pm
blatham wrote:
george wrote
Quote:
I don't have much regard for any of the news media including both Fox and the self-proclaimed "respectable" ones that so loudly claim virtue for confining the obvious elements of their polemics to pages labelled "opinion" or "analysis". Firstly the device is at best a thin veneer. More importantly the far more pervasive bias they apply is subtly done by omission, emphasis and placement in the paper. The "standard" TV media do the same, none more effectively than NPR. Fox has only the virtue of being open and brazen in its devices. As a result it and its radio counterparts drive the establishment types crazy. Good for them. In the information marketplace the rule is "Let the buyer beware".

It isn't merely that you don't attend to media analysis. You've just clarified that you don't watch tv and don't read much print news.

How you can write the above, with self-conviction that you actually know what you are talking about, isn't an epistemological question, it is a psychological question.

You don't have to be a butcher to recognize baloney.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
I've been reading Gary Steyngarth and I think you incomers, Thomas and Bernie, should absolutely read "The Russian Debutant's Handbook".

....And his other book which I read first and gave to my pal Tony to read and I can't remember its name right now but it's very good too.

When I am reading (I haven't finished it yet, and will be sad when I do) "T R D H" I can't help relating the hero's exploits and thoughts to Thomas in NJ. It's a hoot.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:09 am
McTag wrote:
I've been reading Gary Steyngarth and I think you incomers, Thomas and Bernie, should absolutely read "The Russian Debutant's Handbook".

....And his other book which I read first and gave to my pal Tony to read and I can't remember its name right now but it's very good too.

When I am reading (I haven't finished it yet, and will be sad when I do) "T R D H" I can't help relating the hero's exploits and thoughts to Thomas in NJ. It's a hoot.

McTag is quite right about Gary Shteyngart... T R D H is a hoot, I'm just getting ready to read his other one, Absurdistan.
0 Replies