Iselin, New Jersey

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 02:31 pm
McTag wrote:
Yeah but Fox claims to be a news channel.

If it's continuing putting out selective and slanted news and comment, it's not a news channel.

So it's a lie. They should not make these claims.

The same could be said of CNN, McT. But surely you know that.

Are we going to have a political discussion on Thomas' thread, or shall we move this discussion to a thread better suited for this?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 02:45 pm
Thomas wrote:
Thanks, guys.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling with an entirely different question: When I find an apartment to live in permanently, should I buy a TV for it? I didn't have one in Germany. The furnished apartment I currently live in does, with basic cable. So when I moved in, I spent quite a lot of time channel-surfing, hoping I would run into something interesting.

So far, I found an abundance of trash, and an appalling dearth of quality. In two weeks, I found exactly four shows that might be worth buying a TV to watch: (1) News Hour with Jim Lehrer, PBS. (2) Boston Legal, ABC. (3) Mythbusters, Discovery Channel. (4) BBC news, on a local New Jersey channel whose name I'm uncertain of. That's it so far. Out of 70 channels and hundreds of shows that might theoretically be worth watching.

Can any of you suggest some further shows worth buying a TV for? If not, I'm probably better off without one.

What ya gonna watch DVD's on if you don't got no TV?

Like...say I visit and all, what we gonna watch The Sopranos on?

What is it about Boston Legal that makes sensible people love it so?

(serious question)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 03:04 pm
McTag wrote:

If it's continuing putting out selective and slanted news and comment, it's not a news channel.

The same could be (and has been) said about the New York Times and even (gasp!) the Guardian.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 07:30 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Propaganda is hardly new - it existed long before Gobbels & Orwell. Cicero was an adept propagandist in his political diatribes against Verrus and Cataline, long before anyone thought of Fox news or even CNN or NPR.

and religious fanaticism is not new so that's why any attention to the modern muslim world is a simple foolishness
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 07:54 pm
Well, I think either become interesting when they rise to an unusual intensity or frequency. In the case of religious fanaticism (and the accompanying anti religous intolerance) I do believe we are at a local high. With respect to political propaganda in the United States I believe we are at about the level we reached in 1914.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 08:01 pm
Deb, I watch DVDs on my IMac.

Besides, can't you buy just a dvd player?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 08:35 pm
dlowan wrote:

I watch DVDs on my laptop, like Ossobucco. (C-span, too.)

dlowan wrote:

(serious question)

Intelligence and humor.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:06 pm
I don't watch much TV, but I like House. I haven't see Boston Legal, so I don't know how it might compare.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 11:43 pm
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I watch DVDs on my laptop, like Ossobucco. (C-span, too.)

dlowan wrote:

(serious question)

Intelligence and humor.

Enough to make up for Shatner?????
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:32 am
Ticomaya wrote:

The same could be said of CNN, McT. But surely you know that.

Are we going to have a political discussion on Thomas' thread, or shall we move this discussion to a thread better suited for this?

georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

The same could be (and has been) said about the New York Times and even (gasp!) the Guardian.

Hello George and Tico, peace be upon you.

A respectable organ makes it clear: "this is news" (verifiable, sourced, honest) "this is comment" (usually following editorial policy, but not always)

That's not Fox. I'm pretty sure that you, in your quieter and more contemplative moments, don't think Fox is a respectable organ, judged on the standards of the NYT or The gasp Guardian. No sensible person does, imho. It is news-as-entertainment and propaganda.
It is the most egregious example of cant, slant and bias in any democracy.

The clincher for me is, the Bush administration like it. Maybe even could not do without it. That's how bad it is.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:53 am
McTag wrote:
That's not Fox. I'm pretty sure that you, in your quieter and more contemplative moments, don't think Fox is a respectable organ, judged on the standards of the NYT or The gasp Guardian. No sensible person does, imho. It is news-as-entertainment and propaganda.

Have you ever watched it for any length of time? What shows are you suggesting are news-as-entertainment? And, finally, are you suggesting there are not aspects of CNN and NYT and the Guardian (gasp) that are similarly news-as-entertainment?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 08:49 am
dlowan wrote:

Actually, Shatner isn't nearly as bad at playing lawyer than he is at playing space ship captain.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:39 pm
McTag wrote:
Hello George and Tico, peace be upon you.

A respectable organ makes it clear: "this is news" (verifiable, sourced, honest) "this is comment" (usually following editorial policy, but not always)

The clincher for me is, the Bush administration like it. Maybe even could not do without it. That's how bad it is.

And may peace and joy enfold you as well McTag.

I don't have much regard for any of the news media including both Fox and the self-proclaimed "respectable" ones that so loudly claim virtue for confining the obvious elements of their polemics to pages labelled "opinion" or "analysis". Firstly the device is at best a thin veneer. More importantly the far more pervasive bias they apply is subtly done by omission, emphasis and placement in the paper. The "standard" TV media do the same, none more effectively than NPR. Fox has only the virtue of being open and brazen in its devices. As a result it and its radio counterparts drive the establishment types crazy. Good for them. In the information marketplace the rule is "Let the buyer beware".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:48 am
I thought in the US, Fox WAS Establishment?

Anyway, so as not to divert this thread any longer, let Thomas decide.

Thomas, you've been in Europe, and also in America. Please tell us your opinion:

Fox:
(A) An affront to decent society, a neo-con mouthpiece masquerading as a news channel
(B) A TV channel, which you can switch off if you want
(C) Provides balance and choice in a liberal-dominated media landscape
(D) The best thing since sliced bread
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 02:29 am
Thomas wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Actually, Shatner isn't nearly as bad at playing lawyer than he is at playing space ship captain.

Well, it's kind of like a lampoon of his characters, isn't it?

I have watched it a bit...and found the odd bit intriguing, but never watched for more than a few minutes at a time...I find the plastic people distressing.

Sounds like I need to give it more of a chance.

I do find Spader interesting...have since "Sex, Lies and Videotape."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 05:52 am
McTag wrote:
I thought in the US, Fox WAS Establishment?

Anyway, so as not to divert this thread any longer, let Thomas decide.

Thomas, you've been in Europe, and also in America. Please tell us your opinion:

Fox:
(A) An affront to decent society, a neo-con mouthpiece masquerading as a news channel
(B) A TV channel, which you can switch off if you want
(C) Provides balance and choice in a liberal-dominated media landscape
(D) The best thing since sliced bread

You realize this largely depends on whether Thomas enjoys "The Simpsons."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:10 am
mac11 wrote:
Yes, welcome Thomas! I need to go back and read this thread. I didn't realize you were already here.

I have to tell you that I don't think you need a bit of help from blatham or anyone. Go talk to those Joisey girls and see what happens!

No need to go back and read mac.

Here's the upshot....

Thomas is going to move to NJ and get tons of advice on a million places to live that involve hours of commutting via public transportation, in places no one is quite sure what the housing is like....It's generally acknowledged Thomas will have unlimited time to visit Manhatten and will breeze about effortlessly on trains and buses.

I made the off the wall suggestion he live in the town (at least temporarily) he works in and buy a car, since he may not want to spend hours and hours every day riding a stinking bus or train that breaks down. Otherwise, he can walk or bike to wherever he needs (not necessarily wants) to go, regardless of the freezing slush and rain. Nevermind the fact that anyplace you may really want to go, like restaurants, movies, post office etc. will be nowhere near a bus line, unless you want to take an hour and a half to get somewhere you can drive to in 20 minutes. Thomas comes from strong stock.

Then it was bantered about how Thomas could rent a car 2 or 3 times a month, which would obviously be sufficient to meet his needs.

Thomas arrives, rents a temporary furnished apartment near work, and from what I understand, leaning toward buying a car, if he hasn't done so already.

Next up....Thomas goes to Circut City and buys a TV. Stay tuned.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 08:22 pm
Thanks for the summation, Chai. Sounds as though Thomas is taking your advice. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:21 am
Thomas almost always takes my advice.

My PM box is practically filled weekly with questions from him.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
thomas

The Consumer Reports 2008 Buying Guide is up on the news-stands now. It is digest-sized so easy to toss in satchel or large pocket.
0 Replies