Marriage quagmire -- need objective advice

mochit

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:08 pm
My wife and I have been married for 4 years. She has always had male friends, and it has only been a problem once in our marriage. She was seeing another man for a month behind my back, and i found out unexpectedly and was taken for a rollercoaster ride to recover.

I built up trust back for 2-3 years, but now again, another man came into the picture with a lot of similarities (situation wise and how my wife behaves). Nothing has happened to my knowledge, but i feel like a smoker who quit, and then got a puff. I've been a downward spiral of mistrust which is driving my wife away from me.

I have been told to trust her, or get out. Deep down, I want our relationship to be happy like it was before these men came into the picture. But, my wife is threatening to leave if i dont trust her; and if i could, i would flip the switch to trust her. I just don't know how, but continue to work by developing goals to develop my own interests and not remain so pre-occupied with what she's doing. We have been attached to the hip in our marriage, and that is just not sustainable. As her career is taking off, she's meeting more men, and venturing to conferences where she'll be placed in similar situations that drove me to my initial mistrust.

My wife is a counselor herself, and recommended i seek advice on this forum. Especially from those with spouses who have caused mistrust, or have only friends primarily of the opposite gender.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,165 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:44 pm
short and simple: You might want to consider leaving this marriage as she cheated on you once, regardless of all else that transpired. You have a tangible REASON to mistrust. Marriage vows aren't just to be followed when it's convenient. She broke the vow by going behind your back. Now, that would be forgivable, but you are the one that has to dig down deep and LEARN to trust her again. But I'm sensing that she may be looking to gain control as she seems to earning more money and feeling more powerful with her job/etc. I have gut-sense about this. Other may feel differently and will make their comments.

The bottom line is that if she were genuinely interested in helping you trust her she would do everything in her power to help you be confident in her behavior. However, I get a sense from what you wrote that she isn't. And, threatening you with leaving if you don't show that you trust her sounds a lot like a desire for control.

It's too simplistic to comment to much about her changing job and attending remote conferences and meeting men. Many married people do this and it is not an issue. What are they doing right that you aren't?

Trust is a quality that is earned and she abused that trust but will punish you with abandonment if you don't trust her. There seems to a lot missing from this story. Please elaborate more on controlling behavior. Is there a power struggle here?
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:55 pm
Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate your input which is great advice based on my post. But to clarify, her relationship ended with nothing more than kissing, and did not lead to anything further after i found out. She has admitted it to be a mistake, and built my trust back.

To elaborate, she has a controlling personality, but there is no power struggle. Our personalities are complementary.

I feel like the latest guy is more of my problem, not hers. I need to get over the mistrust. I love my wife, and want things to work out. I will only consider leaving if it helps her become happy. At this time, it's hard to see happiness without her.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:58 pm
You're quite welcome.

What about what behaviors she can do to help you to keep your trust?
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:10 pm
Ragman wrote:
What about what behaviors she can do to help you to keep your trust?

She has asked the same thing, and I dont have a concrete answer. Getting her to stop being friendly to men; and not go to places where alcohol is involved is not fair.

At this point, i feel like i would be ok if she can understand that i'm working on trust, and understand what it's like for me. If she knew (and i cant expect her to fully), she'd have more patience with things. The most recent event is committing to a social conference in 3 weeks without asking me how i felt, or inviting me after i invited her to my work conf just last month. I dont expect to go, but it shows she does not understand what i feel.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:21 pm
mochit: you are new here. Know this ...about A2K..there are some great contributors here so wait for their wise responses.

I will say this for now: I will take back TEMPORARILY what I said about bailing out, pending more discussion in the thread.

Mutual patience and understanding are the keywords. She needs to hear your feelings more..so keep the dialogue coming. Four years is a scarily short time in a marriage to be having these issues, though.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:26 pm
I don't know. I could just be in a cranky mood, but she was seeing someone for a month and there was only a kiss?

No, I'd have some problems trusting her too.

I really don't like her, "trust me or get out", attitude.
She broke the trust. She needs to work on being trustworthy as well as you need to just believe and trust in her.

She needs to respect you and you need to give her space.

I'm wondering if you are keeping the apron strings on her too tight, and she's rebelling. I'm thinking that we aren't hearing the whole story....

I think being "attached at the hip" is bad.

"you would only consider leaving if it helps make her happy"
What?

"Getting her to stop being friendly to men"
Um, well, there is such a thing as too friendly, especially if your married.

"Not going to places with alcohol"
Does she have a problem with alcohol? Or does she just become too friendly when she drinks? Both of these reasons would be good reasons to say that you would prefer that she doesn't.

I think that you have some right to expect her to behave as though she is married and that your feelings should mean something to her.

Talking. Communication. Working together.

Sorry, this might not be a great post. I'm a little sleepy.
Don't take my crankiness personally.
I'm just not liking the sound of some of this...
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:29 am
caribou wrote:
I don't know. I could just be in a cranky mood

It doesnt show through the net ...

caribou wrote:

She needs to respect you and you need to give her space.

Excellent advice.

caribou wrote:

I'm wondering if you are keeping the apron strings on her too tight, and she's rebelling. I'm thinking that we aren't hearing the whole story....

You're very perceptive picking up on this stuff and the rebellious nature, and Ragman as well picking up on the controlling behavior. Lately, i have had problems with alot of her behavior and she probably does feel restrictive. Things i formerly did not have a problem w/ now seem wierd.

caribou wrote:
Does she have a problem with alcohol? Or does she just become too friendly when she drinks? Both of these reasons would be good reasons to say that you would prefer that she doesn't.

She is much friendlier with alcohol involved, and i fear if i restrict this, i'll pull the apron strings way too tight. I hate being that guy ...
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:42 am
I can soooo understand you!

Your wife cheated on you once...
Saying NOTHING REALLY HAPPENED, does not really do it for me.
How far would it have gone, had you not found out?

As far as I am concerned, it is not up to you to now trust her blindly, but up to her to show she deserves this trust.
TRUST ME OR I'LL LEAVE is not the proper way to achieve this in my eyes.

For me it did not work out.
After several affairs my partner (after I had left) told me, he finally decided that I was the only woman he wanted (RIGHT).
I know I could never have trusted him again, and I never went back.

Looking back today I know that was the right decision, which does not mean that is the right way for you to go.
I guess only you can make that decision.

Just wanted to offer my sympathy.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:26 am
Bohne wrote:
I can soooo understand you!

Thanks, that alone means a lot.

Bohne wrote:

As far as I am concerned, it is not up to you to now trust her blindly, but up to her to show she deserves this trust.
TRUST ME OR I'LL LEAVE is not the proper way to achieve this in my eyes.

To put some more context on this, we have had the same discussion every night this week, and we just werent getting anywhere. I think the threat was out of frustration/rebellion. I am not sure if she will follow through with it.

Bohne wrote:
Just wanted to offer my sympathy.

Thank you for being supportive.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:55 am
Ragman wrote:
short and simple: You might want to consider leaving this marriage as she cheated on you once, regardless of all else that transpired. You have a tangible REASON to mistrust. Marriage vows aren't just to be followed when it's convenient. She broke the vow by going behind your back. Now, that would be forgivable, but you are the one that has to dig down deep and LEARN to trust her again. But I'm sensing that she may be looking to gain control as she seems to earning more money and feeling more powerful with her job/etc. I have gut-sense about this. Other may feel differently and will make their comments.

caribou wrote:
I really don't like her, "trust me or get out", attitude.
She broke the trust. She needs to work on being trustworthy as well as you need to just believe and trust in her.

A dissenting opinion here: we don't have any notion from mochit as to the conditions under which he and his wife reconciled after her first "dalliance" with another man. I would assume that mochit didn't declare that he would never trust her again, nor do I think that she would have agreed to stay in that type of situation. Granted, she has given him ample reason to distrust her, but his opportunity to end the relationship because of that breach of trust was when he discovered the dalliance, not 2-3 years later. If he agreed to continue the marriage, then he also agreed to trust his wife, at least on some level.

And now Wife is saying "trust me or get out." That actually sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice, given the circumstances. She is in a career where she meets lots of men. She is also in a marriage which would, frankly, be intolerable if she felt that she was constantly under suspicion for meeting those men.

In any relationship where one partner cheats, the other partner has to make a decision: continue the relationship or end it. If you continue the relationship, it can't be on the same terms as before, since there will always be that breach of trust in the background. But if you continue the relationship, it must be because you want the relationship to continue. In other words, you want to remain your wife's husband, not her parole officer. That requires trust, even if it is a Reaganesque "trust-but-verify" type of trust.

If you don't trust her at all, mochit, then you indeed need to "get out," not just for your sake but for hers as well. If, on the other hand, you're interested in keeping your marriage, then I suggest you do as your wife has suggested: seek counselling. You need to understand how you can reconcile your misgivings about your wife's faithfullness with your desire to maintain your relationship with her. If you can't reconcile those things, then that's your problem, not your wife's, and you need to address it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:44 am
I think going to a counselor yourself would really help you. You mention apron strings and restrictive behaviours... only two problems you're battling with... who knows what else there might be that you can't spell out on a board like this and we can't interpret from your text?

Seeing someone in person would be so beneficial to you.

I, too, have issues with "Trust me or Get out", but not knowing the context or conversations it was said in, I forbear to comment.

Your wife may be feeling frustrated at your lack of trust, but she also needs to acknowledge that her behaviour was the initial cause.

It's so difficult to give advice when you can't see, speak with, and don't know the people involved... I really think a counselor would be best for you.

Trust is so important in a relationship, and when it's been eroded, the relationship is endangered.

Please do yourself a favour and see someone.

All the best to you. It's awful being in that space, isn't it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Evidently both you and your wife are growing and changing. More importantly each of you seems to be redefining what you want in a marriage, what you expect of a spouse.

I join the chorus of "Recommend Counseling" I'm betting that each of you came to the marriage with considerable baggage and after four years each of you are absolutely convinced that you have a right to unpack that baggage and include it in the marital decor.

Right now with the open baggage spilling everywhere, each of you seems to be married to a stranger.

This won't work.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 04:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

A dissenting opinion here: we don't have any notion from mochit as to the conditions under which he and his wife reconciled after her first "dalliance" with another man. I would assume that mochit didn't declare that he would never trust her again, nor do I think that she would have agreed to stay in that type of situation. Granted, she has given him ample reason to distrust her, but his opportunity to end the relationship because of that breach of trust was when he discovered the dalliance, not 2-3 years later. If he agreed to continue the marriage, then he also agreed to trust his wife, at least on some level.

And now Wife is saying "trust me or get out." That actually sounds like a perfectly reasonable choice, given the circumstances. She is in a career where she meets lots of men. She is also in a marriage which would, frankly, be intolerable if she felt that she was constantly under suspicion for meeting those men.

In any relationship where one partner cheats, the other partner has to make a decision: continue the relationship or end it. If you continue the relationship, it can't be on the same terms as before, since there will always be that breach of trust in the background. But if you continue the relationship, it must be because you want the relationship to continue. In other words, you want to remain your wife's husband, not her parole officer. That requires trust, even if it is a Reaganesque "trust-but-verify" type of trust.

If you don't trust her at all, mochit, then you indeed need to "get out," not just for your sake but for hers as well. If, on the other hand, you're interested in keeping your marriage, then I suggest you do as your wife has suggested: seek counselling. You need to understand how you can reconcile your misgivings about your wife's faithfullness with your desire to maintain your relationship with her. If you can't reconcile those things, then that's your problem, not your wife's, and you need to address it.

Your dissenting post is logical. I certainly dont like the role of a parole officer as I dont have a controlling personality. I have a hard time planning ahead, and the future is hard to predict in how i will react to her meeting lots of men. Right now, i'll take it one trip at a time and see how it goes.

I agree that i made a commitment by staying with her while keeping the issue in the background. I'm just from the school where ultimatums arent healthy. My wife is a realist and shares your view about saying things how they are.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:42 pm
Mame wrote:

Your wife may be feeling frustrated at your lack of trust, but she also needs to acknowledge that her behaviour was the initial cause.

It's so difficult to give advice when you can't see, speak with, and don't know the people involved... I really think a counselor would be best for you.

Trust is so important in a relationship, and when it's been eroded, the relationship is endangered.

Please do yourself a favour and see someone.

Thank you for your sympathathic post. It is awful being in this space. Do you speak from experience? I have learned how important trust is, and those in relationships with it surely take it for granted.

My wife is certainly frustrated, but tends to downplay things. I believe she does it out of defense of feeling like a bad person which i can understand.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:43 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Evidently both you and your wife are growing and changing. More importantly each of you seems to be redefining what you want in a marriage, what you expect of a spouse.

I join the chorus of "Recommend Counseling" I'm betting that each of you came to the marriage with considerable baggage and after four years each of you are absolutely convinced that you have a right to unpack that baggage and include it in the marital decor.

Right now with the open baggage spilling everywhere, each of you seems to be married to a stranger.

This won't work.

This is an intriguing analogy. What do you mean by baggage?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 11:47 am
Mochit--

" Baggage" is the sum total of emotional experiences and disturbing memories that you carry with you through life.

One spouse is always on time. "Punctuality is the courtesy of princes."

The other spouse is frequently late--and doesn't care.

The two of them will quarrel about when to leave for social engagements, but underneath that conflict are the unspoken "why's" .

Perhaps each spouse is following family tradition--or one or both of them are rebelling against family tradition.

Did your mother work outside the home? Did your wife's mother work outside the home? Did you have an outgoing sister who seemed to be your parents' favorite? Was your wife eclipsed by a brother, simply because he was a boy?

Visualize the proverbial icebergs.
0 Replies

mochit

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:31 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Mochit--

" Baggage" is the sum total of emotional experiences and disturbing memories that you carry with you through life.

One spouse is always on time. "Punctuality is the courtesy of princes."

The other spouse is frequently late--and doesn't care.

The two of them will quarrel about when to leave for social engagements, but underneath that conflict are the unspoken "why's" .

Perhaps each spouse is following family tradition--or one or both of them are rebelling against family tradition.

Did your mother work outside the home? Did your wife's mother work outside the home? Did you have an outgoing sister who seemed to be your parents' favorite? Was your wife eclipsed by a brother, simply because he was a boy?

Visualize the proverbial icebergs.

Ok, i understand what you mean. Im aghast at your insight, and you're right on with the "rebelling against family tradition" and "wife eclipsed by a brother, simply because he was a boy".

We come from completely different backgrounds, and I do think she's unpacked more baggage now, and at times, i feel like i dont know who she is anymore. And i've told her, and even gave her a new version number when i have this feeling (im a software guy). She's version 3.x now. In my head, version 3.x is less trustworthy and evokes my suspicions. And i know it's unhealthy to version someone.

On the flip side, she does say im not as affetionate in public anymore which is why she may seek attn from other men. I am going to work hard to see her as the person i married; and try to get things back on track.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:18 am
mochit wrote:

Thank you for your sympathathic post. It is awful being in this space. Do you speak from experience? I have learned how important trust is, and those in relationships with it surely take it for granted.

My wife is certainly frustrated, but tends to downplay things. I believe she does it out of defense of feeling like a bad person which i can understand.[/quote]

No, mochit, I'm not speaking from experience (of this, at least). I am just imagining the situation and feel it would be like you said, a quagmire.

I'm not a counselor, but I truly believe the right one can really help you clarify exactly what's wrong, your role in it, and what you can do about it. That's really what we want, isn't it - the problem in a nutshell and a course of action. The first thing is to get out of the forest so you can look at the trees. Counselors are so helpful with that in an objective, non-judgemental way.

Marriages and other relationships should be supportive and rewarding... if yours isn't, then possibly help is what you need. You should feel wonderful, not wounded.

Don't be too proud to get help, ok?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Very well stated, joe. It's good to see you here.
0 Replies